Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

*watching a league where guys like Haslam, Johnson, and Spanos have made their teams laughing stocks for over a decade* it's clear that the owners want Tepper to sell the team because he was mean to Frank Reich, who sucks

All Panthers fans have left are their dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I also have my memories of all but 2 games in the 2015 season that never happened. TYVM

Also Peter king has always had a bit of a hate boner for Carolina. I cannot remember a single thing he's ever said about the team that's positive.

That being said. He's not wrong.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Docjowles posted:

The frothing horde of dumbass yinzers are very lucky to have competent ownership to save them from themselves lol

one of those frothing yinzers now owns the Panthers lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Prime Cam was so so good man. He's still the best college player I've ever seen.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow you're telling the steelers were good when they had a hall of fame quarterback and mediocre when they have poo poo quarterbacks? must be the coach.

at the end of this season it will be 3 playoff wins in the last 13 years and none in the last 7, which is the worst mark since before noll. 2 of those 3 playoff wins came against backup qbs (with 1 of them being a game that the bengals literally gifted away). he's been the king of under performance for a real long time now

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow you're telling the steelers were good when they had a hall of fame quarterback and mediocre when they have poo poo quarterbacks? must be the coach.

If anything, Pittsburgh has been massively overachieving this year considering their qb situation.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they haven't had a legitimately good roster in at least a few years but have still been middle of the league competitive despite everyone constantly saying this is the year they collapse to poo poo.

Tomlin is good.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Tepper thing seems pretty simple. He's a raging rear end in a top hat that pissed all over a bunch of people who have been and/or are about to be fired. Knives out bitch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1733533915539759139?t=ewDddNhkFEz5NFfXgrXFog&s=19

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Steelers need to stop playing down to their competition. Trubisky isnt an answer and neither is Pickett.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Erainor posted:

Steelers need to stop playing down to their competition. Trubisky isnt an answer and neither is Pickett.

It's called bad

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Erainor posted:

The only team they can play "down" to is the Panthers. They're looking up at everyone else.

Fake edit: and the Jets, though they have an actual good defense, unlike the Steelers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a miracle the Steelers can play as well as they do with how massive the horseshoe wedged up their rear end is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Tomlin is a massively overrated coach but I would take him as Jets' coach in a second.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Panthers job is so toxic that Kellen Moore is intentionally throwing his audition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I won't say that Dan Campbell is anywhere near the hot seat, but he's in danger of learning a very important lesson about staying too loyal to a bad coordinator.

Simplex posted:

The Panthers job is so toxic that Kellen Moore is intentionally throwing his audition.

Also this but for Ben Johnson.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wives are out of control in Carolina

https://x.com/lookitspoohpooh/status/1733982282912866538?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Can we fire everyone now

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Can we fire everyone now

Herbie is injured. Everyone needs one year.

Please.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Arthur Smith needs to take one of those old people cognitive tests.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

at least somebody in Carolina has a wife with correct opinions about the state of the team

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

What’s the forfeit for O’Connell and Pierce if this finishes 0-0?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

C-Euro posted:

I won't say that Dan Campbell is anywhere near the hot seat, but he's in danger of learning a very important lesson about staying too loyal to a bad coordinator

You would think that he had already learned this lesson with Anthony Lynn. Do the right thing, Dan.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think Tomlin is a massively overrated coach but I would take him as Jets' coach in a second.

I think it honestly is one of those "both parties need a fresh start" situations, like what happened with Andy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Woozie66 posted:

I think it honestly is one of those "both parties need a fresh start" situations, like what happened with Andy.

The Steelers aren't going to fire him.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Firing the guy who has consistently gotten the most out of his teams and I believe has gone for 5? straight years as the "coach the players want to play for the most" in the NFLPA polls is the type of poo poo bad owners do you freaking weirdo yinzers. Nevermind his long track record of handling head cases and crazy people.

Just give the man a quarterback.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

adaz posted:

Firing the guy who has consistently gotten the most out of his teams and I believe has gone for 5? straight years as the "coach the players want to play for the most" in the NFLPA polls is the type of poo poo bad owners do you freaking weirdo yinzers. Nevermind his long track record of handling head cases and crazy people.

Just give the man a quarterback.

no no, let them talk themselves out of a competent head coach and hopefully get what they want

they deserve a good Josh McDaniels/Urban Meyer circus

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Steelers aren't going to fire him.

Didn't say that at all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

I won't say that Dan Campbell is anywhere near the hot seat, but he's in danger of learning a very important lesson about staying too loyal to a bad coordinator.

Also this but for Ben Johnson.

My hot take is that Aaron Glenn isn't the problem — the defense hasn't been good, but they're not the ones that only scored 13 points today. If anyone needs some heat it should be Ben Johnson, because he's been calling some absolutely terrible gameplans the last few weeks (Not that I think they should fire him, god no, but the offense is what makes this team go and they've underperforming terribly).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol this lady owns. Things are really going well when even the coaches’ families are speaking out about how awful it is to work for Tepper

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
So often, an in-season firing is a way to excise a toxic presence from your organization, a move that inherently improves the team not because the interim head coach is some strategic genius who's unlocked a secret that's been holding the players back, but just because morale is up due to That Guy no longer being around every day.

I really appreciate the Panthers for giving us a fun change of pace where nobody's mood was improved by firing the (indisputably lovely) head coach. All they did is cut off one small link in a long chain of misery, a move that might even be outweighed by the drain in morale associated with a big spotlight suddenly being shone on the disfunction at every level of your organization

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

xbilkis posted:

So often, an in-season firing is a way to excise a toxic presence from your organization, a move that inherently improves the team not because the interim head coach is some strategic genius who's unlocked a secret that's been holding the players back, but just because morale is up due to That Guy no longer being around every day.

I really appreciate the Panthers for giving us a fun change of pace where nobody's mood was improved by firing the (indisputably lovely) head coach. All they did is cut off one small link in a long chain of misery, a move that might even be outweighed by the drain in morale associated with a big spotlight suddenly being shone on the disfunction at every level of your organization

I feel like the in season firing is just making it more clear how much of this is the owners fault

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

Kellen Moore has lost a lot of money this year, given that Herbert didn't really improve at all and meanwhile the Dallas offense looks better without him.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

xbilkis posted:

And that's only half the fun, we get a whole year of wondering what Tepper's going to do with the poor rich sap who ends up with this job when he finds himself in the exact same situation next season. I mean, it's not like things are just magically going to get better.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

xbilkis posted:

I mean, the Panthers got to do the "excising a toxic presence" thing with Rhule last year, and hey, it worked! Panthers morale drastically improved and for a while were in the running to get blown out by Dallas in the playoffs! As a whole, things seemed to be improving, so fans had hope. It was great!

And then after completing whiffing on every move the organization made in the off-season, Tepper decided surely this trick would work twice in a row, and in a surprise turn of events, it did not.

tinstaach posted:

And that's only half the fun, we get a whole year of wondering what Tepper's going to do with the poor rich sap who ends up with this job when he finds himself in the exact same situation next season. I mean, it's not like things are just magically going to get better.

Has anyone ever hired and fired a HC before the season started? Because if it hasn't happened yet, I don't think it's impossible for Tepper to be the first

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think it should also be pointed out, even if it's damning with faint praise that you also do it when a coach is harming the development of the guys you do have.

Panthers offensive line hasn't been much better in pass pro but the running game has improved dramatically in the last two weeks. Renewed emphasis has been part of it but the run game has pretty much switched back to a power gap scheme like we ran last year. Mingo and Chark have also seen a big uptick in their role in the offense and well - it hasn't exactly come alive like I would have wished, but they've taken more deep shots, used more motion, more bunch formations, more of the poo poo you'd expect a competent offensive unit to put on the field. Bryce missed a couple of open ones this week but its like the 2nd time I can remember where they actually dialled up some passes down the field and he hit on a few.

Panthers have basically gone from a 1/10 performance every week offensively to a 2/10 performance. Its poo poo, it sucks and it'll take a lot to unfuck everything but Reich had everyone playing terribly on offense, at least the run blocking and run game is starting to look somewhat competent.

Tabor is at least just letting Brown run poo poo. I know his wife complained on twitter and that's whatever - but at least its not 20 flank screens or static routes a game.

This year is functionally over for the Panthers anyway and I have no faith in them turning it around but at least Tabor is trying something.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

Panthers have basically gone from a 1/10 performance every week offensively to a 2/10 performance. Its poo poo, it sucks and it'll take a lot to unfuck everything but Reich had everyone playing terribly on offense, at least the run blocking and run game is starting to look somewhat competent.

You're right and I agree, but it's hilarious that a 2/10 offensive performance for the Panthers is 6 points.

Rushing for 200 yards (doubling the Saints total) and having that result is just depressing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If I was trying to get fired, it sure how much different it would look than going five wide on 4th and 1 multiple times.

Even if one of those deep shots was absolutely well blocked and open if Bryce’s rain bringer had hung out in LEO for a second longer.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Glad he gets to go work with a higher tier of receivers in his next job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shinji2015 posted:

Has anyone ever hired and fired a HC before the season started? Because if it hasn't happened yet, I don't think it's impossible for Tepper to be the first

Think this happened to some coach in the 80s, but I’m completely blanking on who and what team. It was mentioned in articles about how Reich was the fastest HC firing besides this guy who was fired after two preseason games iirc (I prolly don’t)