Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

blarzgh posted:

I will be fuckin insufferable

i was really looking forward to this. my consolation prize if the eagles got smacked was getting to see blzargh seriously loving bring it. and well... i'm not saying a certain proportion of "it" wasn't brought, just... i expected more, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's obvious at this point that Hurts is a bottom 5 QB

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

First thing that needs discussing: the idea that that Cowboys only beat up on bad teams

There’s all kinds of ways to spin this and I can’t wait to see some of the OG posters ITT shoot their shot.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

MrMojok posted:

First thing that needs discussing: the idea that that Cowboys only beat up on bad teams

There’s all kinds of ways to spin this and I can’t wait to see some of the OG posters ITT shoot their shot.

This one is easy.

The Eagles are frauds, and they suck

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Rogue Elephant posted:

This one is easy.

The Eagles are frauds, and they suck

Everyone desperate to get a rise out of us eagles boys, but again, we've been telling you dummies this team is rear end fraud all year so like what are you even doing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For the first time in many years : blazargh is right

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:gas:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Got myself a little present

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

:)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You think he’s fibbing. That’s going to be in his office on his desk next to his monitor.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Asproigerosis posted:

Everyone desperate to get a rise out of us eagles boys, but again, we've been telling you dummies this team is rear end fraud all year so like what are you even doing?

yeah, this thread gets really loving weird when cowboys fans are hyped up about the eagles losing

like i get it, no doubt you should be happy about what your team did, they're clearly the second-best team in the NFC behind the niners and that's awesome for you, but there's this air of "WHAT A MONUMENTAL AND UNEXPECTED VICTORY" when most of the eagles fans in this forum have been taking poo poo this entire season for having the audacity to say "hey maybe this team that's winning by the skin of its teeth despite having, hold on let me check, yes, no defense at all isn't actually as good as its record would have you believe."

i didn't even bother watching the game last night past the second drive because i knew going in they were gonna lose in dallas, and i've been saying as much since the schedule came out. once they came out looking like the same ol' eagles, it was a done deal.

i'm reminded of the moments after the super bowl loss last year when cowboys posters in this thread were trying to tell me i was devastated by the loss. like ... what? who does that fan fiction poo poo? i was okay with the eagles losing that game, just as i was okay with the eagles losing this one, and just like with that game, we've got people in this thread rubbing their hands together at how thrilled they are for revealing the eagles as a deeply flawed team with an inflated record when we've been saying the eagles are a deeply flawed team with an inflated record.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

Here you go, blarzgh

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/12/11/23996255/nfl-week-14-dallas-cowboys-super-bowl-contender-philadelphia-eagles-dak-prescott

A Dak Deep Dive

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah this. It's weird how people come in with this alternate reality report. Every Eagles fan on here at least has been showing concern that the team hasn't been living up to its billing since week 1. :shrug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The 2023 Eagles are a deeply flawed football team with some great parts that are enough against a mostly mediocre NFL. But a lot of those wins have been agonizing, and it all falls apart when you're pressed by two great, complete teams in the Niners and Cowboys.

My motto for this team since October has been "survive and advance"; keep bullshitting wins and maybe they'll figure it out come January. I don't think they're gonna figure it out.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The cowboys team that's playing right now doesn't look like the team from the beginning of the season. The season opener against the giants was rough on offense. The defense put up three of the touchdowns in that 40 point rout. It feels like the offense was retooled after the 49ers game.

It's going to be very early 90s if we have another 3-4 years of dallas/49ers NFC championship games.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

The 2023 Eagles are a deeply flawed football team with some great parts that are enough against a mostly mediocre NFL.

I just don't know what the hell happened with their secondary, and I'm prepared to say it's all somehow Matt Patricia's fault

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
They’ve been doing dumb poo poo all year and getting away with it. 3 turnovers in opponent territory. Brown drop inside the 10. Smith drop in the end zone. Never game themselves a chance to get back in the game.

I still won’t have any idea how much worse this team is than last year’s iteration with the way their schedule ends. SF and Dallas clearly better at the moment.

Truly no idea why the defense is this bad. But hey, at least we saw a punt last night!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

We can pretty easily go week by week and show how lucky they've been. A lot of this is going off rough memory but it's close enough.

Week 1 @ Pats: W 25-20, NE hosed up a chance at the end I think?
Week 2 vs Vikings: W 34-28, again if I recall, Cousins hosed up a comeback opportunity
Week 3 @ TB: W 25-11, comfortable enough but TB really sucks
Week 4 vs Washington: W 34-31 in OT, Washington blew a shot to win in some fashion
Week 5 @ Rams: W 23-14, don't remember much about this one but it was close enough and they only scored 6 points in the second half
Week 6 @ Jets: L 20-14, lmao
Week 7 vs Dolphins: W 31-17, their only quality win
Week 8 @ Washington: W 38-31, should not have been this close and should not have given up 31 points
Week 9 vs Cowboys: W 28-23, had a chance to lose this one and I think Dak blew a shot to win?
Week 10: bye
Week 11 @ KC: W 21-17, the one receiver hosed up a perfect Mahomes bomb for a TD
Week 12 vs Bills: W 37-34 in OT, should have lost this one but again the QB did some dumb poo poo or something
Week 13 vs 49ers: L 42-19, got their poo poo kicked in after two good defensive drives and two offensive drives they hosed up which set the tone
Week 14 @ Cowboys: L 33-13, got their poo poo kicked in for a second week in a row

They very easily could have lost weeks 1, 2, 4, 9, 11, and 12 if one or two things went differently, be it a drop here or better clock management there. You could say that about a lot of football games, but it was consistently uncomfortable win after uncomfortable win all season, and even if that only happened in half their games, you're still looking at a 7-6 team that's outclassed by several other teams in the NFC. They have @ Seattle, vs. Giants, vs. Cardinals, @ Giants left, and are almost assuredly going to drop one of the two games against the Giants, and I wouldn't be shocked if they lost both and go 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the way out.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah, it has been deeply frustrating to watch talking heads rationalize the eagles eking and lucking their way to their record by saying "well, they know they aren't playing their best ball, they'll figure it out." i can totally buy that in the first third of the year, but at what point do we just say, well, they are who they are? there are four games left in the regular season, i don't think it's unreasonable to say the rookie coordinators should have at least some of their poo poo figured out. instead we have the same problems now that we had when mac jones was tossing the ball around on our secondary in week one.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think the Eagles defensive problems are something that'll need an offseason or 2 to fix unfortunately. I think a lot of it is the personnel. Slay and Bradberry are a year older. Losing Maddox early on was a major gut punch. Blankenship can't stay healthy (I'm not getting on him for last night). The gaping smoldering hole at the LB position. The front 4 is great, but you can't rely on them for everything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eagles are the Vikings of last season but haven't gotten quite as many coinflips in their favor. The vikings had one of the best records in the league with a slightly negative point differential. The eagles are 10-3 with a +21 differential. The other 10-3 teams in the NFL are +188, +175, and +143.

The Jags are their nearest neighbor at +22 (8-5 record) and the saints/vikings are +24 and the browns are +17.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah when the refrain is "we haven't played our best football yet", the true answer is that you just aren't as good as you think you are.

The defense lost a lot of talent and there's some schematic oddities happening too. Defense can't get home on the pass rush and they aren't rotating at much as they used to. Slay and Bradberry look old. Slay has to mug WRs to stay competitive and it leads to a 50/50 chance he gets DPI. Linebackers lol. Howie has been getting by with dreck there because normally the D-line is so good.

Offense is the bigger question because they have so much talent but call the dumbest plays week in and week out. Anyone at home could tell you or see that Dallas was going to max blitz on some of those 3rd and 4th downs and the Eagles didn't have an answer for it until like early 4th quarter where they ran an AJ Brown screen that quickly developed.

They have a lot of issues right now. The offense is more fixable than the defense, but running out of time to figure it out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

blarzgh posted:

lmao + wow that's actually an interesting feature I didn’t know about

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
HERE WE GOOOOO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have no reason to post it other than it popped into my head.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Offense is fine BUT FOR the QB turning it over all the time which means it is in fact not fine at all

Also the players have given up

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Harlock posted:

Offense is the bigger question because they have so much talent but call the dumbest plays week in and week out. Anyone at home could tell you or see that Dallas was going to max blitz on some of those 3rd and 4th downs and the Eagles didn't have an answer for it until like early 4th quarter where they ran an AJ Brown screen that quickly developed.
Brian Johnson can't scheme to save his life and it's having a knock on effect. Everything is slow-developing verticals. Hurts holds the ball too long especially when his first read is covered and it all falls apart. I'm not absolving Hurts here because he's on the field too, but the passing game design is uninspiring especially compared to last year. Give him some quick hitter slants once in a while. Everything can't just be throwing up a 50/50 to AJ.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The playoff loss this year is shaping up to be even more crushing, i am hyped

I think the 49ers are still better than the Cowboys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does anyone have an email address when I can tell the eagles I don’t believe in them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

biceps crimes posted:

I think the 49ers are still better than the Cowboys

Controversial, brave, etc

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You think he’s fibbing. That’s going to be in his office on his desk next to his monitor.

100%

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like the Cowboys and I’m proud of them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They did really well and it’s a nice stadium

Props to the owner

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like the Cowboys and I’m proud of them

Well, now...

Let's not get crazy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I do appreciate that cowboys fans get to be excited for the first time in over a decade, however.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m shocked the eagles are already in rebuilding stage but I guess that’s just how fast the modern nfl is in terms of franchise stability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/PHLEaglesNation/status/1734255084433768938?s=20