Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really do not want to be in a nfcn where the bears with fields and dj have a competent staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Can we make Phil Snow DC if we fire Eberflus

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Like Eberflus has definitely improved the defense but there’s not a chance in hell Fields or whoever they draft is gonna reach their full potential with that dipshit at HC

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it seems like dan quinn would be about as good as replacement for eberflus as you could hope for?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

R.D. Mangles posted:

on the one hand, since they have decided to have a pass rush, the Eberflus Defense has been absolutely bad-rear end

on the other hand, matt eberflus is a doofus who looks like a henchman who punches someone in the stomach and says "dis one's for da boss" and i never want to see his loving face again.

Are you sure he isn't checking to see if the person has fire in their gut?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SirPablo posted:

This game was poo poo for the season. You played like rear end. Dobbs got benched. You lost JJ for the rest of the season, others banged up.

But you won and are the 6th seed. So what the gently caress do you do with this zombie season?

Beat the Lions twice for the division.

Seriously this is such a loving dumb post. Sure my team won a game that keeps them in contention for the divisional title, where do they go from here? Find another team I think the Vikings broke you but some of us are still strong.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 11, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vikings just have to send in a QB that nobody has tape on every game and they'll do fine

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
When the Wild win by the exact same score as the Vikings do on the same day

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1734095691730112660

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
To be fair these last two games have broken a lot of people but I've watched a lot of B10 games too so 3-0 is high scoring. The Vikings defense is actually pretty good, I tell myself.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

3-0 is a really good hockey game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

R.D. Mangles posted:

on the other hand, matt eberflus is a doofus who looks like a henchman who punches someone in the stomach and says "dis one's for da boss" and i never want to see his loving face again.

I can't remember where I first saw it posted (probably this thread) but Eberflus is the villainous opposition coach in a Mighty Ducks movie

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
It took many years for young me to realize Iceland isn't actually a hockey powerhouse.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

OK so now I've had time to sleep on it, I think it's time to fire Campbell, Johnson and Glenn, trade Amon-Ra, Hutch and La Porta for picks and lets start that rebuild, baby

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bumhead posted:

OK so now I've had time to sleep on it, I think it's time to fire Campbell, Johnson and Glenn, trade Amon-Ra, Hutch and La Porta for picks and lets start that rebuild, baby

you joke, but I have seen variants of this said with all seriousness

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bumhead posted:

100% except keep Glenn and make him the coach

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bumhead posted:

Keep Campbell with a warning and keep Amon-Ra so you have someone for the next QB to throw to, agreed on everything else

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jaire has been downgraded to out for tonight's game

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lions should trade for Stafford.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fire Harbaugh, hire Harbaugh on the lions, DON'T fire Glenn or Johnson. Cut Goof, hire Deshaun Watson. Take Patrick Kane from the Wings and make him a WR. Deliver $texas in a semi truck to Gronk and bring Calvin Johnson out of retirement

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Fire Harbaugh, hire Harbaugh on the lions,

Why do you want to be owned by the Bears again? Strong defeatist energy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BrendanSugrue/status/1734100802195607979

god this still pisses me off

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually I'm going to miss the game so obviously they're going to win big

Somehow, I told you all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Eberflus for Lions DC

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Why do you want to be owned by the Bears again? Strong defeatist energy.

Jim Schwartz comes out of the stands and chairshots Harbaugh and retakes the mantle and leads us to the superbowl

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Patrick Kane plays for the red wings??? This is worse than when Chelios went there

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MikeCrotch posted:

Eberflus for Lions DC

Honestly yeah, give that dude a draft of defensive lineman, and a corner or two, and he would have that defense being terrifying. Giving Eberflus Jack Campbell would be very very fun.

Thinking about it, It really is funny, how like The Bears and Packers always revert to their mean, and if not for the Bears blowing two games they should have won if not for historic collapses. would have like the exact same story this season that always loving plays out between them.

Both Young teams, who in their own specific way are returning to what they always are. And having success.

Packers: QB playing out of their mind, Offense clicking, and carrying an inconsistent defense with injury problems.

Bears: Very good defense(pretty much elite for the past few weeks), providing for an inconsistent Offense that is doing enough for them to win.

Nothing ever changes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

trevorreznik posted:

Patrick Kane plays for the red wings??? This is worse than when Chelios went there

Actually it owns:
He's been playing will they won't they with the league waiting for some contender to pay him mid season and the wings did it.
I only assume Debrincat's production has instantly created now that he's paired with a guy who has to get off the ice every time the other team touches the puck

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I hope the Lions keep building up cuz its gonna make for some juicy matchups next year. Packers v. Lions NFCCG would be sooooooo sick

still could happen this year lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

In all seriousness the only person that should have any consequences is Glenn because while the defense has challenges in terms of raw talent there is no excuse for some of the poor playcalling and inability to adjust. The offense is still very good but its not perfect and the defense is really hamstringing the teams ability to capitalize on its strengths. I don't like Campbell but he is 9-4 and there is no reason to actually do anything to a guy that has successfully instituted a culture and has a winning record. He needs to take ownership of the defense's failings though and might need a close look at conditioning, etc to address some of the other nagging issues.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I just can't imagine blaming the defense for that bears game.

They held the Bears to field goals in so many situations where the Bears had great field position.

That loss was almost solely on the wunderkind Ben Johnson, Jared Goff hyper focusing on his target presnap and being cold, St Brown making a bunch of uncharacteristic drops, and the players making some of the dumbest penalties you will ever see.

They did pretty well in containing fields outside of a handful of scrambles where Fields just like broke 6 tackles, or the touchdown, when the player who was supposed to be on contain bit inside, and Fields torched them for a TD. They completely shut down any intended QB run, and wrecked Fields.

When you offense like can't get a first down for half the game it's very hard to play defense.

I just legitimately think the Bears defense is systematically structured to shut down what Goff, and the Lions are good at offensively(assuming they don't completely melt down like they did the first time). The Bears barring a coverage break, just completely shut down the mid to deep middle of the field, and the running game(when Ngakoue isn't out there to be ran at) which is where Goff thrives.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 11, 2023

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah plus the offense turning the ball over on the 20 like 2x or whatever isn't on the defense either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Bears Defense is p much, Either beat us medium to deep outside the hashes with absurd throws, or slant/out us to death 5 yards at a time, we bet you make a mistake.

That's why the Chargers murdered us, because Herbert was just like, oh thank god, my hand is hosed, you mean I can just throw unders to my RB/Recievers all day, and can take some shots on the boundary to my elite reciever? Bet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The shine should be coming off of Ben Johnson a bit.

He has completely failed to utilize jamo. Part of that is Goff cannot use him, he under threw him by what, 15 yards on that wide open play? Under threw him by so much that he under threw the guy who was 5 yards behind jamo in the route. It was a throw an NFL QB has to be able to put on the receiver to make a play.

Ben has finally started to occasionally use Gibbs, the play design on his TD and dropped TD were good, but absent that it all felt very vanilla. And the run game stopped working once the bears realized Goff was not going to beat them through the air.

Goff has regressed hard, he's late, he's missing low and behind, he's not seeing defenders who literally just stood still as he attempts to throw one of his slow balls through them. I know it won't happen, but I'd say they need to try something new at QB. If they extend goff it'll be a franchise killing mistake at this point.

Aaron Glenn has his struggles with the d no doubt, and consistently giving up conversions on 3rd and long and 4th down sucks, but of the two coordinators I think bens bad offense in the last few games has been the problem and not Glenn's defense.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One thing about the Lions is you're really seeing the impact of taking low value positions in the draft. Doing so is fine if you're confident in your receiving corps and d-line...but if it doesn't work and you're left wondering what would have happened if you picked Calijah Kancey/Christian Gonzalez and Jordan Addison in the first round...well

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

One thing about the Lions is you're really seeing the impact of taking low value positions in the draft. Doing so is fine if you're confident in your receiving corps and d-line...but if it doesn't work and you're left wondering what would have happened if you picked Calijah Kancey/Christian Gonzalez and Jordan Addison in the first round...well

Dog if the Lions had taken Carter instead of trading out, oh my loving god that defense with him and Hutch would be terrifying.

But as it is, if you have a solid RT/RG who can mostly handle Hutch and keep him from dominating the rest of the line can't do poo poo.

Like you won't shut hum down, but you can live with the plays he makes so long as everyone else takes care of business.

If you drop Carter in the middle of that line, it becomes unstoppable, where you can get away with the secondary you have. It also extremely puts the linebackers in better positions.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

The shine should be coming off of Ben Johnson a bit.

He has completely failed to utilize jamo. Part of that is Goff cannot use him, he under threw him by what, 15 yards on that wide open play? Under threw him by so much that he under threw the guy who was 5 yards behind jamo in the route. It was a throw an NFL QB has to be able to put on the receiver to make a play.

Ben has finally started to occasionally use Gibbs, the play design on his TD and dropped TD were good, but absent that it all felt very vanilla. And the run game stopped working once the bears realized Goff was not going to beat them through the air.

Goff has regressed hard, he's late, he's missing low and behind, he's not seeing defenders who literally just stood still as he attempts to throw one of his slow balls through them. I know it won't happen, but I'd say they need to try something new at QB. If they extend goff it'll be a franchise killing mistake at this point.

Aaron Glenn has his struggles with the d no doubt, and consistently giving up conversions on 3rd and long and 4th down sucks, but of the two coordinators I think bens bad offense in the last few games has been the problem and not Glenn's defense.

Also Campbell put his defense in terrible positions by not punting to pinning the Bears back, and forcing them to drive 80+ yards to score. The Bears offense is not good enough where you should write off them getting the ball as a score. But they are good enough to take advantage of a short field to get to FG range or maybe a TD.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dexo posted:

I just can't imagine blaming the defense for that bears game.

The Bears game is less about "blaming" the defence as much as it's just an ongoing issue for the season.

The defence might not be the reason the Lions lost that game but they still didn't/couldn't do enough. We're all going into games knowing exactly how games against mobile QB's are going to play out and it's happening every time almost unopposed. You could have switched the game off after that opening Bears drive and seen everything you needed to see about that game. "Fields owns the Lions" is obviously loving stupid, other than the fact that "mobile QB is going to own the Lions" as a wider point isn't, and it ensures the 2 Bears games are going to be some of the toughest tests on any schedule for this team every year until they show they can do something about it.

Goof ball security, only targeting (and massively underthrowing) Jamo once per game and a bit of shine wearing off Ben's play-calling are just some of the reasons why the offence might deserve the "blame" for a game like that, but the biggest change available to this team *right now* is to change the DC.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://x.com/readjack/status/1733912187800822029?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I think Campbell is proving why there is such a thing as to aggressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

I don't agree with that dude at all, you can't expect a dude running the ball to up and slide when he's 6 inches from you.