Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

codo27 posted:

I hate Nintendo so much. I want to live in a different timeline where they failed instead of Sega, and you can just buy the 2-3 exclusives that justify their consoles' existence on every platform instead of having to buy a loving Switch just for Zelda. We already had the lite for my wife for Animal Crossing, but I picked up the full version a few months ago so she could play on the TV and I could also finally try BotW and TotK, but god drat it you cant even get a sensible price on the games second hand.

The new Warzone is ok. Unacceptable amount of jitters and other technical poo poo that shouldn't be prevalent in a money making powerhouse, and sadly there isn't much competition in the genre. The feel of it is good though and they've added some qol stuff thats been long overdue. I can see what the reticle looks like when I'm picking a scope now! Still, wish a game would come out that gets rid of all that lame slide canceling poo poo and imposes a huge aim penalty when jumping or going prone. There probably aren't enough people like me out there though that are looking to strike that certain balance between realism and action. I guess what it boils down to is I wish they'd make another good Battlefield. Been 10 years since 4 now :negative:

How goods your PC? Cause my launch day Switch died recently, and the Ryujinx/Yuzu emulators work great.

Jerusalem posted:

You got a fun 2 weeks ahead of you!

Yup, couple of other things to knock out and then I'm onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

codo27 posted:

I hate Nintendo so much. I want to live in a different timeline where they failed instead of Sega, and you can just buy the 2-3 exclusives that justify their consoles' existence on every platform instead of having to buy a loving Switch just for Zelda. We already had the lite for my wife for Animal Crossing, but I picked up the full version a few months ago so she could play on the TV and I could also finally try BotW and TotK, but god drat it you cant even get a sensible price on the games second hand.
If this is just a complaint about the price of Nintendo games never going down than I'm right with you but man I can't imagine actually being upset at Nintendo's output on the Switch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Baldur's Gate 3 is such a great game but Spider-Man 3 still wouldn't be my game of the year. I'd put Pizza Tower and Zelda ahead of it. And Street Fighter 6. And Final Fantasy 16. Hell I haven't even finished Spider-Man 2. I kinda petered out.

heh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I still haven't played any Spider-Man game but I have Spider-Man and Miles both sitting on my PS5 ready to go since I bought them like...a year ago. I think that's up next once I'm done with the last bit of Alan Wake 2.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Peter vs. Pizza

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shard posted:

Hell I haven't even finished Spider-Man 2. I kinda petered out.

with miles to go

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

it's almost like goty is a completely subjective subject that will vary from person to person because different people like different things

unrelated but I don't talk my goty stuff because I have hipster brain worms and have to hate all the stuff goons like have distinctly difference preferences from the majority of the goon mind.

Also every game I had a fun time with is goty.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A real big hit to the morales

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm waiting until Spiderman is 20 bucks next year

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
spoorder

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

it's almost like goty is a completely subjective subject that will vary from person to person because different people like different things

unrelated but I don't talk my goty stuff because I have hipster brain worms and have to hate all the stuff goons like have distinctly difference preferences from the majority of the goon mind.

Also every game I had a fun time with is goty.

People put niche games no one’s heard of or decade-old games as their #1 in the GOTY thread all the time, post about your favorite games you coward

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haven't played Spoderman yet because I'm not spending £62 on a videogame

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
$70 is too much for a videos game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

How goods your PC? Cause my launch day Switch died recently, and the Ryujinx/Yuzu emulators work great.

I wonder if it's because the hardware is so much closer to just being a stock tablet this time but yeah good Switch emulation seemed to happen pretty quick

I have a Nintendo complaint and it's that their online store is not 1/20th as fun and whimsical as the Wii/WiiU stores (for god's sake there's not even any music) while still being just as lovely to navigate

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Owl Inspector posted:

People put niche games no one’s heard of or decade-old games as their #1 in the GOTY thread all the time, post about your favorite games you coward

this.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

hatty posted:

$70 is too much for a videos game

Perhaps, but have you considered that games used to be $70 like 25-30 years ago? They'd be something like $130 now. Maybe that's why F2P games flooded with microtransactions were made.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remembering how I almost sold several people on Super Robot Wars in last year's thread lmao

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also i genuinely want to hear your hipster GOTY.

mine is Case of the Golden Idol which i am counting because its DLC dropped in 2023.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

codo27 posted:

The new Warzone is ok. Unacceptable amount of jitters and other technical poo poo that shouldn't be prevalent in a money making powerhouse, and sadly there isn't much competition in the genre. The feel of it is good though and they've added some qol stuff thats been long overdue. I can see what the reticle looks like when I'm picking a scope now! Still, wish a game would come out that gets rid of all that lame slide canceling poo poo and imposes a huge aim penalty when jumping or going prone. There probably aren't enough people like me out there though that are looking to strike that certain balance between realism and action. I guess what it boils down to is I wish they'd make another good Battlefield. Been 10 years since 4 now :negative:

I never thought about getting a Switch because I still have 3DS games I havent played, but fingers crossed the Switch 2 can play all Switch 1 games because I want to play those Mario games and someday the next Metroid Prime whenever that actually shows life

That being said I'm having a great time with my n3DSxl lately, I replaced the battery a few months ago and I want to get my use out of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Perhaps, but have you considered that games used to be $70 like 25-30 years ago? They'd be something like $130 now. Maybe that's why F2P games flooded with microtransactions were made.

Wages haven't kept up with inflation so videogames should cost even less now. F2P games should mail you a check for exploiting your time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1734234088955933172?t=Vt3w8ADYxWl66U26lVYxfw&s=19

Free Radical is officially dead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

I'm planning on waxing lyrical about my #1 when I get to my write-up.

I always enjoy reading peoples #1s and why they're important to them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
F2P games came about once hosting and distribution became free (or at least paid for by facebook/apple/sony/microsoft/valve rather than you) and the infrastructure appeared to support making very small digital payments so you could plan a business model around an infinite number of copies of your game in the field and very low ARPU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

codo27 posted:

I hate Nintendo so much. I want to live in a different timeline where they failed instead of Sega, and you can just buy the 2-3 exclusives that justify their consoles' existence on every platform instead of having to buy a loving Switch just for Zelda.

Oh, no, I'm thinking way too much about this now. This is all speculation but
My supposition for this alt history is a world where Nintendo failed would be one where 2 significant changes occurred.
1) Gunpei Yokoi dies suddenly during the secret development of the Game Boy, resulting in none of the game boy systems existing.
2) Nintendo never 'invented'? the 3D platformer, and instead Sega did so with Sonic.
3) Ocarina of Time probably also gets fowled up in some way.

As for things that do not exist in this time line this includes:
Most of the Tetris games
Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai's careers
Kirby
Pokemon and the entire genre of monster collection
Smash Brothers
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime series
Wii Sports/Fitness/Bowling
Splatoon
Probably there would be basically no real handheld market for a decade. It's hard to predict who would step up into that gap? I assume eventually someone would about the time of the DS, probably the PSPortable would kick things off?
I also expect that Nintendo's games would not generally be as good as they don't have a console advantage.

However, in return, I would expect that there would be little impact on 3rd party publishers who could turn to either Sega or Playstation for a primary home.
Sega would have greatly expanded offerings, maybe
Puyo Puyo (here replacing the popularity of Tetris during this era)
Golden Axe maybe moving into a more God of War style space?
NIGHTS
Toe Jam and Earl, or perhaps Billy Hatcher, some secondary platformer
Virtua Fighter
Panzer Dragoon
Probably some shooter series coming from arcade to console like Night of the Dead?

Another question is the identity of positioning of the third major party to enter the market.
Would SNK be able to stay afloat, or would Microsoft still enter? (To clarify, I don't think that Atari or NEC would have survived.)
Would Microsoft position the XBox as a family friendly/budget system resulting in a set of console games I can barely even imagine, or would Sega 'drop down' to fill Nintendo's role, or would everyone in the market just gun it resulting in a much more expensive baseline console experience? (This would be the most likely result where Microsoft claims that market on PC and never makes the XBox, here you would see some absolutely bonkers output from our outsized SNK Playmore that exists in this timeline.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nintendo ftw. I call them "Wintendo" on account of all their Win games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And because you can play them all on Win10, on your PC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Illegal, and reported.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
SNK Playmore has once again licensed Godzilla for King of the Monsters 2024.
Could be GOTY.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
We already know what Sega needed to beat Nintendo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Owl Inspector posted:

How about no.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has Embracer done widespread and lasting damage to the industry

I guess it depends on, how many of the studios that are shuttering would have been fine if they hadn't gotten Embraced

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a timeline where Sega makes good Sonic games, instead of whatever Frontiers is? :munch:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Evil Kit posted:

How about no.

My game of the year is Train Sim World 4 what weird garbage do you like

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No because they liberated Crystal Dynamics and Eidos from the vile clutches of SE :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

How about no.

lazy gamer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snake Maze posted:

We already know what Sega needed to beat Nintendo.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Infinitum posted:

Is there a timeline where Sega makes good Sonic games, instead of whatever Frontiers is? :munch:

shadow the hedgehog already exists next question

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was thinking more like fail at hardware at the same time Sega did, rather than from the get go. Its almost as maddening as Apple's success, that they've remained so popular solely on the backs of a small handful of IPs. Imagine if you could just buy Zelda and Mario on Steam or Xbox instead of having to have another useless piece of hardware taking up space.

Really makes you think, as its been proven so many times that success and longevity in business is never about being on the cutting edge or delivering the best product. I think its mainly about people knowing what they are getting and being consistent in delivering that. Think about iPhones, think about McDonalds. For several generations now Nintendo has released hardware that, even for a console, is outdated on release. Doesn't matter. People know what they are getting, and thats all that seems to matter.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

shadow the hedgehog already exists next question

This fan movie trailer popped up on my feed the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKawAOKEKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hmm yes the portable console that had nothing even approaching competition for 6 years was outdated on release