Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any reason to not backtrack to my ship in the middle of a mission to get rid of debuffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's definitely worth emphasizing that the specifics about Chaos are very heavily and intentionally suppressed from the public at large in the Imperium. The church basically considers ignorance part of the defense, and they're right to an extent: if just anyone could know how to summon daemons or reach out to the Chaos Gods, statistically things would be even worse as Johnny Administratum gets tired of someone eating his sandwiches from the break room and decides to ask Nergal for a bit of stomach flu on the person doing it. But as the lower decks strike shows, this is also a chink in the armor where Chaos is a very real force and can corrupt objects as well as people. It's actually a good reason for why some heretic loot you get should be unequippable without being a heretic yourself. You as the Rogue Trader are well aware of this little fact, and unless you're comfortable with the idea that you might wake up with hooves for feet if you put on that cultist's boots, you're not going to risk wearing them. But not knowing this is part of what gets the strikers in trouble. They know heresy is bad, but they don't really know what they're looking for.

The Imperium doesn't really have a middle ground. You're either wholly ignorant, or one of the few people authorized to handle that knowledge. There's no in between. I say authorized and not trusted because even if you're an Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor, someone always is watching your back waiting for the knowledge to eventually corrupt you. And the Inquisition knows more about this poo poo than anyone else in the Imperium.*

*: My knowledge on the setting is at least 10 years old.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any reason to not backtrack to my ship in the middle of a mission to get rid of debuffs?
Have yet to see one and I’m well into chapter 2, just seems to be an analogue of sleeping for a month while the big bad waits patiently in D&D

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How are plasma weapons in this? Thinking to give Pasqal a rifle but damage looks kind of middling vs his needle rifle. The hit chance boost from the sniper weapons is pretty insane tbh

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
even on daring the injuries haven't really felt like they are screwing me over enough to make the trek back to the ship tho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

even on daring the injuries haven't really felt like they are screwing me over enough to make the trek back to the ship tho

Yeah I only do it when im hit with traumas, like those dumb electric arcs

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't run into any situations where going back to the ship mid-mission screwed me over, even when the quest made it sound like something urgent was happening. But yeah, I haven't found the injuries particularly crippling most of the time either.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dandywalken posted:

How are plasma weapons in this? Thinking to give Pasqal a rifle but damage looks kind of middling vs his needle rifle

Pasqal specifically has a couple of talents that make him extremely good with plasma weapons if you take them, but as a whole they're kinda whatever as far as I've gotten.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Dandywalken posted:

How are plasma weapons in this? Thinking to give Pasqal a rifle but damage looks kind of middling vs his needle rifle

They’re pretty good. With the right talents you can overpenetrate quite a bit, you get an area attack, and in chapter 2 you can get a plasma gun that never overheats. They generally have decent magazine sizes but only fire one shot at a time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My rogue trader has got dat Stink from the sewer lol

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

If you’re a careless rear end in a top hat about traps outside of combat you can end up with effectively lvl drained stats. Pretty much anywhere you see traps that need story deactivation instead of disarming can be real bad news

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Preechr posted:

They’re pretty good. With the right talents you can overpenetrate quite a bit, you get an area attack, and in chapter 2 you can get a plasma gun that never overheats. They generally have decent magazine sizes but only fire one shot at a time.

Oh drat, mind sharing where that plasma is? Got a multimelta last night for Argenta so once I get her the proficiency I will try that while Pasqal uses plasma.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Oh drat, mind sharing where that plasma is? Got a multimelta last night for Argenta so once I get her the proficiency I will try that while Pasqal uses plasma.

It’s one of the possible first tier project rewards from the Kiava Gamma colony.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sweet, now to find where that is :( Stumbled on Janus and the capital but not there despite wanting to go there first

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It’s quite a bit west of Janus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This game is my first solid exposure to WH40k lore outside of memes. Just finished Act 1 and, uh, welp.

Couple Qs for the loreheads:

If the emperor's biological remains are still around why doesn't he just clone himself?

How did Aurora come back to life and turn into a space marine lol ?

Why are people constantly going heretic when it seems *blatantly obvious to everyone* the best case scenario is turning into some sort of monstrosity after a bit of fun?

Who is in charge of the empire, wait sorry, THE IMPERIUM, if the Emperor is off in lala land helping Navigators through the warp?

1. He did. It went poorly. His most trusted clone child crippled the Imperium and mortally wounded the Emperor. A lot of Imperial governance is structured so that one person can never have enough power to plunge the galaxy into a second Horus Heresy.

2. Chaos doesn't make sense. It also lies all the time.

3. The Imperium is a brutal and uncaring master. It generates countless trillions of people who have nothing to lose. A lot of people see serving chaos as no worse than the Imperium. It's a chance to at least have some agency before their pointless death.

4. Theoretically the High Lords of Terra, a sort of regency council, are in charge. In actual fact the administration of the galaxy is too large a burden for central authorities and the Imperium mostly runs on a system of feudal obligation. The Imperium has little capacity to govern itself, which leads to nonsense bullshit happening all the time but a delightfully diverse setting for an rpg.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pasqal should get the same benefits from the melta weapons as the plasma weapons, the trade-off being range and overcharge. Melta users, like flamers, want to be up close and personal. And while I know Pasqal starts off heavily implying you should take advantage of that axe, I find him much more compelling as ranged support chucking plasma shots down range. Honestly if Pasqal's archtype options had included Arch Militant, he'd be a shoein for your melee/ranged swapper going between hitting with his axe and then giving them a meltagun sun tan.

That said, does overheating actually do anything? It doesn't seem to prevent me from using the weapon or make the weapon instantly blow up/hurt Pasqal, but I could also just be lucky. And semi-related, does anyone know if Plasma Cannons are implemented/findable? The multi-melta is cool, but I'd really love to give Pasqal the be-all-end-all in plasma based fire support.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Further Reading posted:

Chaos is tricksy and makes you think that you either aren't really going heretic or that you'll be in control of the power. The dude blinding his family in rykas mynoris is a good example as you can use logic to make him realise that actually what he's doing is awful.

I'll have you know that I am in full control of these sword bits I've been picking up and I'm sure collecting them won't lead to any horrible consequences whatsoever.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Boksi posted:

I'll have you know that I am in full control of these sword bits I've been picking up and I'm sure collecting them won't lead to any horrible consequences whatsoever.

Antinichus, Daemon of the Bloody Blade posted:

"For seventeen, long centuries have I remained in this blade, confined within these metal walls. During all of my time of imprisonment you are the first I have seen who is worthy to bear me into battle. Come, take my hilt, and I will serve you in the manner of my kind, drawing blood of your enemies, protecting you in the midst of the fight, bringing you safely home again. Now, draw me from the scabbard and test the fineness of my balance. See how easily I swing, how my keen edge cleaves the air. A good choice, am I not? Willingly you picked me up. Your first mistake. Willingly you drew me. Your second mistake. I do not allow my servants to make three mistakes, foolish mortal..."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Pasqal should get the same benefits from the melta weapons as the plasma weapons, the trade-off being range and overcharge. Melta users, like flamers, want to be up close and personal. And while I know Pasqal starts off heavily implying you should take advantage of that axe, I find him much more compelling as ranged support chucking plasma shots down range. Honestly if Pasqal's archtype options had included Arch Militant, he'd be a shoein for your melee/ranged swapper going between hitting with his axe and then giving them a meltagun sun tan.

That said, does overheating actually do anything? It doesn't seem to prevent me from using the weapon or make the weapon instantly blow up/hurt Pasqal, but I could also just be lucky. And semi-related, does anyone know if Plasma Cannons are implemented/findable? The multi-melta is cool, but I'd really love to give Pasqal the be-all-end-all in plasma based fire support.

I hear overheat is bugged atm and does nothing, which makes me wonder if fixed Plasma (aside from the one mentioned) will be worth using with its meager damage :/

With enemy hp levels later, a lot of guns feel very meh. Jaes pistols for instance she cant hit poo poo with

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 11, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Had a fun bug here in the spaceport.

This guy ran into corner and just ran at the wall for a bit. Doing that made him unkillable. He doesn't act but cannot die even though he's on 0 hp.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Had a fun bug here in the spaceport.

This guy ran into corner and just ran at the wall for a bit. Doing that made him unkillable. He doesn't act but cannot die even though he's on 0 hp.

That happened to me twice before I toyboxed the encounter dead.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sieze the initiative has bugged out on my twice giving infinite turns but no way to end combat.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Top responses when talking to Cassia feel like they should be punctuated with "*tips fedora*".

The problem with Cassia is that she learned everything there was to know about courting from books so if you aren't constantly drowning her in purple prose or overtly "aristocratic" notions she immediately presumes you're a scoundrel.

Which, ok, fair.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Antinichus, Daemon of the Bloody Blade posted:

"For seventeen, long centuries have I remained in this blade, confined within these metal walls. During all of my time of imprisonment you are the first I have seen who is worthy to bear me into battle. Come, take my hilt, and I will serve you in the manner of my kind, drawing blood of your enemies, protecting you in the midst of the fight, bringing you safely home again. Now, draw me from the scabbard and test the fineness of my balance. See how easily I swing, how my keen edge cleaves the air. A good choice, am I not? Willingly you picked me up. Your first mistake. Willingly you drew me. Your second mistake. I do not allow my servants to make three mistakes, foolish mortal..."

rip to that guy but im different

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Started this yesterday & I cannot believe they made a Navigator the naïve love interest character & you can't romance the space nun.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Chapter 3 seems to have a lot of what I can only politely describe as 'tiring Owlcat bullshit', so this is my experience so far in case it helps anyone:

-When you first escape, you just need to head directly westwards to the Pit and talk with Malice - the rest of the map is blocked off for now.
- When Malice instructs you to kill the Commissar, they'll state that one of your companions (for me, Pasqal) is wandering the streets of the Chasm; I went around looking for him but I don't think he actually shows up yet.
- Malice will offer you some equipment - most of which you've probably seen and junked before, so it'll be going to cargo by default. I double-clicked like a fool and lost it.

- Now the level opens up for some reason and you'll be able to see the entrances to the Arena, the Mangled Sector and the Anatomical Opera, but I was blocked from entering the Arena and Opera.
- Your progress keeps getting interrupted by endless cutscenes showing a Swooping Hawk assassin killing Drukhari and a series of nasty headaches. I have no idea what the latter actually does.
- Next, head to the Mangled Sector (which is unhelpfully mis-titled the Anatomical Opera in the loading screen and minimap) to pick up one companion - in my case, Argenta - and talk to the Commissar / pick a side. Either way, you'll be headed to the Arena after you assassinate one of the two rivals.
- You can also find Abelard in the Mangled Sector. A greyed-out dialogue option indicates that you can bring him a 'stimulant' to wake him up. Malice / the Commissar sells a stimulant that increases Perception, but that doesn't work; the game actually wants one of your regular stimms which you can get back from the Homunculus later on. You may also be able to wake him up by being Dogmatic enough. No clue what you're meant to do if you lack either of these.
- Right next to Abelard, there's a Chthonos. I thought killing it might wake him up, but it doesn't; it has a multiattack reaction that occurs twice when its health hits a certain threshold and it can wipe out two party members in one turn, so you really need to wait until you've got your equipment and a full party (or I just need to get good).

- Afer you've fought in the Arena, you'll be able to pick up a couple more companions - Yrilet and Pasqal for me - on the street. Several companions have a significant malus to key stats from their time in captivity and others don't.
- Malice or the Commissar will tell you that you want to speak to the Haemonculus in the Anatomical Opera (the real one), and the journal tells you that his attention can be gained by fighting in the Arena. You've already achieved this and the Arena wont' let you back in, so head straight to the Opera.
- The Opera entrance will still block you from entering (the guard will tell you to leave). Talk to the guard directly instead and he'll agree to let you in.
- I picked up Idira here - the game seemed to suggest that the Haemonculus would care, but he didn't.
- The Haemonculus will give you a couple of sidequests, return all your equipment, and send you back to the Arena, but first he wants you to take a good look at your opponent Marazhai, who's on the platform overhead. You can't enter the Arena to fight Marazhai until you've done this.
- Fight Marazhai and the Haemonculus will tell you that the Wyches are angry at you; you've then basically got a gauntlet of 5 fights or so on rails and then a final crawl to the finish. The final fight is some proper bullshit so I have no idea what happens from there.

- I didn't rescue the Space Wolf from the Haemonculus right away because I assumed there'd be another opportunity and I preferred to heal myself up. It seems like...I might have missed my chance, unless he's going to make a surprise appearance later on.

- The Swooping Hawk assassin story ends with a text-adventure sequence from the assassin's perspective, and a bunch of skillchecks. I had no idea whether those checks were meant to be based on the Rogue Trader's skills (and if so...why?), but the assassin failed the checks and died. I don't know where they were going with that.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 11, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nancy posted:

Started this yesterday & I cannot believe they made a Navigator the naïve love interest character & you can't romance the space nun.

gonna name pasqal fisto

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

4. Theoretically the High Lords of Terra, a sort of regency council, are in charge. In actual fact the administration of the galaxy is too large a burden for central authorities and the Imperium mostly runs on a system of feudal obligation. The Imperium has little capacity to govern itself, which leads to nonsense bullshit happening all the time but a delightfully diverse setting for an rpg.

You're forgetting ROBOUTE GUILLIMAN but I guess that's later on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, I love that the game models friendly fire and all and thus it's important to keep 'lanes' in mind when using automatic weapons or just firing in general. That said, someone needs to tell this to the AI so that it doesn't immediately send the allied guardsmen to shoot Pasqal 3 times in the back while completely missing the intended target.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

evilmiera posted:

The problem with Cassia is that she learned everything there was to know about courting from books so if you aren't constantly drowning her in purple prose or overtly "aristocratic" notions she immediately presumes you're a scoundrel.

Personally, I'm not particularly bothered.
She's really like a big spoiled toddler so I'm not in a particular hurry to get in there.

Hoping for a more interesting romance option later on.
If I'm lucky, whoever worked on the feral spider-woman from WotR worked on this game too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im constantly attacking my own people from forgetting to press shift when I do my hotkeys so really enemy friend firing each other all the time is fair

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I hear overheat is bugged atm and does nothing, which makes me wonder if fixed Plasma (aside from the one mentioned) will be worth using with its meager damage :/

With enemy hp levels later, a lot of guns feel very meh. Jaes pistols for instance she cant hit poo poo with

Jae is probably best for using any pistols that inflict debuffs since she gets 2 attacks for the cost of 1.

Pistols are practically chip damage after a certain point in the game. I've seen a few uniques with with things like +Persuasion or +Commerce but anything short of a full burst hitting an enemy isn't going to do much against act 3 common enemies with HP in the 40s and 50s.

I've already mapped out my plan for running a full psyker pyro PC and part of the party comp is that every enemy needs to be on fire 100% of the time, meaning all those flamer pistols now become highly effective.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Besides tedium and loading times, nope.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

How are plasma weapons in this? Thinking to give Pasqal a rifle but damage looks kind of middling vs his needle rifle. The hit chance boost from the sniper weapons is pretty insane tbh

To add to what everyone else has said, Pasqal can get infinite shots (theoretically) with plasma guns.

One talent gives you 1 AP back when you use a plasma attack. If an officer uses their ult on Pasqal he can use multiple attacks a turn. So you can just stand there pew pewing everyone around you. Something can still stop you from attacking, I think maybe reloading? I haven't looked into it but I've had him suddenly have his attacks greyed out after using the ability.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Besides tedium and loading times, nope.

Good to know.
Loading times in this game are a good deal shorter than in WotR so I'm not that annoyed by them. Yet, at least.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Warmachine posted:

Alright, I love that the game models friendly fire and all and thus it's important to keep 'lanes' in mind when using automatic weapons or just firing in general. That said, someone needs to tell this to the AI so that it doesn't immediately send the allied guardsmen to shoot Pasqal 3 times in the back while completely missing the intended target.

This is part of what is making the game feel like Fallout to me. That and point blank autopistol bursts shredding targets so far.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

I say authorized and not trusted because even if you're an Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor, someone always is watching your back waiting for the knowledge to eventually corrupt you. And the Inquisition knows more about this poo poo than anyone else in the Imperium

Considering the canon move for Inquisitors is to try and prod the chaos relic "just to see what it does before destroying it" ; then either immediately blow up into an abomination in a shower of innards or go stir fry cazy enough that another Inquisitor has to dome the first ; they oughta.

But of course, "Listen to me, I know a TON of things about this poo poo !" is also whence the hubris of touching the poo poo stems from in the first place. The Inquisition is a closed cycle of weaponized stupid.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This game is my first solid exposure to WH40k lore outside of memes. Just finished Act 1 and, uh, welp.

Couple Qs for the loreheads:

If the emperor's biological remains are still around why doesn't he just clone himself?

How did Aurora come back to life and turn into a space marine lol ?

Why are people constantly going heretic when it seems *blatantly obvious to everyone* the best case scenario is turning into some sort of monstrosity after a bit of fun?

Who is in charge of the empire, wait sorry, THE IMPERIUM, if the Emperor is off in lala land helping Navigators through the warp?

Soul Jacking is one of the domains of tzeentch, the chaos God that's deeply lampshaded in the prologue and first act. Most likely (speculation) neither of the people you kill in act one are the true Aurora, merely puppets being driven by it. I'm betting dollars to donuts you'll be seeing more of them.

Re: why go heretic? Most laypeople don't even know what the chaos gods are. It doesn't take much to realize that life loving sucks for most people in 40k. For an enterprising chaos agent, it's easy to soft sell people desperate for something better in their life the lighter, easier aspects of the chaos gods before getting to the "burn your eyes out of your head to see the myriad truths" part. Play up Khorne as a god of tactics and warriors, Slaanesh as a fertility god, Tzeench as a god of luck, ect. Once you've sold a group on the premise you start sneaking in the sinister stuff, and in a universe where enough wrong thought will corrupt your soul and lead to demons, all it takes is a little nudge get a group of people on board with the turbo-orgy to manifest a Keeper Of Secrets into existence.

Like, for all the awful things that happens through chaos, there is at least a carrot of "gifts from your god, power and status" to go along with the stick of "horrifying painful mutation", compared to the Empire being oops-all-stick "toil endlessly and suffer a nasty death, become rations for the next generation of endless toilers".

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only real insight into living under Chaos is from the Black Crusade TTRPG. Which honestly doesn't really sound worse than the imperium, in both circumstances you live a short miserable life full of pain, but hey with Chaos you might get to steal some of the good cocaine before you die.

The quality of life spectrum in the imperium is vast. Yes there are a lot of worlds where you're born into slavery and die because your overlords are too cheap to give you shoes but there are also a lot where life is normal as we would consider it and people live out full lives and die of old age. You still have the threat of chaos or xenos attack hanging over your heads but that's true everywhere.

Chaos is might makes right all the time everywhere forever. You're either the one using people as cattle or you're cattle, as hungry as the imperium is for blood and souls to sustain itself chaos has no other currency. Your position is never secure, those below you are constantly clawing at you to take whats yours and those above you are aiming to kick you in the teeth to stop you from replacing them.

Living in the imperium can be one of the worst fates possible depending on where you end up, but being born and living under chaos IS the worst fate possible no matter where you end up within it.