Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

dads friend steve posted:

u know it smell crazy in those merkavas

septic tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hamas not letting up:

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%84%D9%8A%D8%A7

====

Al-Qassam announces the shelling of the occupation forces east of Khan Yunis with mortars
The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades - the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) - said that it targeted crowds of occupation soldiers stationed inside a field command headquarters in the Al-Zinna area, east of Khan Yunis, with mortar shells.

Earlier, Al-Qassam said that it was able to target an Israeli special force that had barricaded itself in a building in the Beit Lahia project in the northern Gaza Strip, and that it caused members of that force to be “killed and wounded.”

Al-Qassam indicated that it was engaged in violent clashes from “point zero” with special forces and an armored force west of the Jabalia camp in the northern Gaza Strip.

=====

A new missile attack towards Israeli sites
Al Jazeera's correspondent said that the Palestinian resistance is launching a new batch of missiles towards Israeli sites.

===

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah i was really confused why israel would do an air drop from such a short distance but it would make sense if they were cut off, really strange

which is mind boggling in and of itself. they really seem to be horrendously incompetent to a degree that should be sparking outrage everywhere in israel. they have nominally elite troops getting isolated and forced to be resupplied via airdrops while idiots are moving around boxed labeled "medical supplies", looting homes, destroying businesses, and wandering into sniper fire.

im happy they are so stupid but i fear that same stupidity is why they keep murdering so many loving civilians.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Netantahu Pooping his Pamps pretty hard:-

=======

Netanyahu: Israel alone is responsible for security in Gaza after the war
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel will be "solely responsible for security in Gaza after the war, and alone responsible for disarming Gaza."

Netanyahu added - in a meeting of the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Security Committee - that Hamas does not allow anyone to leave Gaza, and that they will allow this after assuming responsibility for the Strip, according to him.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

stupidity is why they keep murdering so many loving civilians.

i think it's the evil fascism mostly

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's A Bridge Too Far, and it wasn't the jungle, it was the town of Arnhem

oh god thank you, i was going crazy trying to remember which

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jel Shaker posted:

oh god thank you, i was going crazy trying to remember which

You're probably mixing it up with Bridge over the River Kwai, the other bridge themed ww2 movie about how the Brits are nuts

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

speng31b posted:

i think it's the evil fascism mostly

sure and the 2 are linked since fascism has so many contradictions eventually your either are driven mad or learn to live with the cognitive dissonance

my point was the stupidity is driving decisions like JDAMing apartments and then having israeli troops get shot full of holes trying to clear the rubble

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

speaking of evil fascism

https://x.com/qudsnen/status/1734218419476574632?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

dads friend steve posted:

u know it smell crazy in those merkavas

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jel Shaker posted:

which classic war movie is it when the heroes stuck in the jungle retrieve an airdropped crate they hope is full of guns and ammo but is actually full of army berets, and they all cry because they lost half their team getting it

It's A Bridge Too Far, which is a pretty great WW2 film.

Airdropping supplies makes sense when you're doing an intercontinental attack.

I don't know why you'd use WW2 tech to send supplies within an Uber eats delivery radius. poo poo cannot be going According to Plan if they're unable to secure supply routes and just bumbling around bouncing off resistance like a Roomba.

EFB on the movie. It's easy to confuse with The Longest Day, which alone is 60% of WW2 movies by runtime.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looks like netanyahus trying to blackmail his local buddies and take them down along with him

======

Israel Hayom

Prime Minister Netanyahu in the Foreign Affairs and Security Committee: “The reconstruction of the Gaza Strip will be financed by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates”

https://twitter.com/anas7asan/status/1734234263183134950?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like netanyahus trying to blackmail his local buddies and take them down along with him

======

Israel Hayom

Prime Minister Netanyahu in the Foreign Affairs and Security Committee: “The reconstruction of the Gaza Strip will be financed by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates”

https://twitter.com/anas7asan/status/1734234263183134950?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

This sounds a lot like Trump's "we're gonna build the wall and Mexico is gonna pay for it."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the cia director threatened iraq if they didnt stop their militias lol ehat are they gonna do invade them again?

===

AP, according to an Iraqi official: The CIA director warned the Prime Minister ⁧‫of Iraq‬⁩ of dire consequences if ⁧‫baghdad did not move to stop attacks on American forces.

https://x.com/ajarabic/status/1734230375797293161?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

drat wait till they find out who runs the iraqi government!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

scattering supplies via air into hostile territory doesn’t sound like a good idea to me

I wouldn't say scattering, that implies having no control over where they land. These are probably GPS-guided parachutes like the JPADS, so I'm sure they all went to roughly the same spot. Whether that spot is actually secure is another matter. So I guess it's potentially worse than scattering :)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Yes. If she had been a conservative she would have realized she was under attack and fought back, keeping her job.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

It's A Bridge Too Far, which is a pretty great WW2 film.

my absolute favorite bit from the movie is when Anthony Hopkins, as Colonel Frost, is talking to a German officer, who says "the general is willing to discuss terms of surrender"

Colonel Frost is standing there, atop a bombed out house, with an attic full of wounded paratroopers, with no ammo, completely surrounded, and no hope of relief, and comes back with "we'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
new york times article headline: its time to retire the word mccarthyism

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

kornbluth appears to be solid right now too

https://orgchart.mit.edu/letters/our-support-our-president

quote:

The MIT Corporation chose Sally to be our president for her excellent academic leadership, her judgment, her integrity, her moral compass, and her ability to unite our community around MIT’s core values. She has done excellent work in leading our community, including in addressing antisemitism, Islamophobia, and other forms of hate, all of which we reject utterly at MIT. She has our full and unreserved support.

Wishing you all the very best in this holiday season.

Sincerely,

Mark P. Gorenberg
Chair
MIT Corporation

gorenberg was kerry's finance chair in 2004 and served in the obama administration as an advisor. interestingly, other members of the executive committee of the MIT corporation include an IDF veteran who chair of bain capital, as well as tech billionaires who were born in lebanon and iran. i don't know what that means about their views, but it's interesting to see that breadth of MENA on the MIT board.

MIT had a big yearlong and internally controversial "free speech" faculty initiative and report, which presumably was approved by the board, for the last year+ that established various policies and procedures to which the institute has mostly stuck throughout this.

at the margin, gay and kornbluth have been on the job for less than a year, too; would be very hard to fire someone that fast and expect anyone decent to take the job again.

Petey has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Dec 11, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

it smacks of idf commanders (20 year olds) still treating this like a fun excuse to use their toys while they have lost more soldiers than in any war since 1967

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Personal Lucubrant posted:

This sounds a lot like Trump's "we're gonna build the wall and Mexico is gonna pay for it."

It's a great pitch to dim-witted fascists. "What are the motives of the others?" Is a verboten question to ask. The other are either beaten and obedient servants or violent out of control savages, and the fascist leaders promise to use their power to convert the latter to the former.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Looks like the Iraqis have just sent the CIA director their response:-

Al-Arabi correspondent from Iraqi security sources: Targeting the American base of Ain al-Asad, west of Iraq , with missiles

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1734245206403219935?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

AP, according to an Iraqi official: The CIA director warned the Prime Minister ⁧‫of Iraq‬⁩ of dire consequences if ⁧‫baghdad did not move to stop attacks on American forces.

Al-Saqr posted:

Al-Arabi correspondent from Iraqi security sources: Targeting the American base of Ain al-Asad, west of Iraq , with missiles

"nuts"

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

======

Israel Hayom

lol nothing spends like other peoples’ money

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
anserallah blocking isreali sea traffic seems like a huge deal, what is even the response right now, the us to use saudis to invade yemen again? bomb school busses until they relent????

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1734245206403219935?s=20

So that's a No, then

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Al! posted:

anserallah blocking isreali sea traffic seems like a huge deal, what is even the response right now, the us to use saudis to invade yemen again? bomb school busses until they relent????

Saudi had eight years but they were handily defeated and their oil facilities were getting bombed. so they threw in the towel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh it's more than one response from the Iraqis

Islamic Resistance in #العراق : We targeted the American occupation base in Al-Shaddadi, south of Al-Hasakah, with a large missile salvo.

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1734229353511202868?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if iran close off the straight of hormus and yemen the straight bab el mandeb, that’s it as far as western civilisation goes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh look: consequences for our imperial actions! Who coulda seen this coming?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Owlbear Camus posted:

It feels almost potemkin/cargo culty. Like something you perform to show you're capable of Doing Big Army Things to support your Special Big Boy Offensive War rather than for any practical reason.

That crossed my mind, as well as a way for Air Force transport pilots to get medals and have combat missions on their record when they come up for promotion. Institutions value "getting into the war" because they don't want the postwar promotions system to skew towards whatever arm or branch was most involved for the 10-20 years that follow.

It's why the Navy sent so many people to Afghanistan cross-attached to the Army or in Joint headquarters, for example. If they hadn't, Navy officers wouldn't be promoted above Army officers for senior appointments until the Army officers with combat experience retire.

In Canada, fast jet pilots were very excited to bomb Libya because they had played no role in the previous 10 years of Afghanistan. Transport helicopter pilots were getting promoted beyond them for senior RCAF positions, which obviously infuriated the Hornet community, who were used to the rockstar treatment and first up for leadership slots.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Dec 11, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh look: consequences for our imperial actions! Who coulda seen this coming?

This calls for more imperialism

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gradenko might know more about this but the IDF lost two battalions of paratroopers in the Lebanon War because they wanted to do either a parachute drop or opposed airmobile operation, I forget which, because the Paratroops felt they weren't playing a central enough role in the war, and Hezbollah seeing their elite forces moving in by helicopter or parachute would cause them to run away.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It feels almost potemkin/cargo culty. Like something you perform to show you're capable of Doing Big Army Things to support your Special Big Boy Offensive War rather than for any practical reason.

Did something like that happen in any Call of Duty missions?

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

UPenn has a couple extremely large Zionist fanatic donors, one of whom was threatening to pull a $100m endowment. there’s nothing magill could have said to save her job because nothing short of full-throated support for Israel would have placated that donor.

The irony is that magill and the other presidents actually gave the right answer, they were smart enough to realize they were being led into a trap and they did their best to avoid it while not perjuring themselves. Unfortunately the Times and pretty much all other media are spinning it like, "ivy leagues flunks the test," which i think was actually the Maureen Dowd column today.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1734250315799556607

:nallears:

Why are you concerned the US has had absolutely no problem using it themselves.

why are you concerned you loving gave them the drat things
https://web.archive.org/web/20231211145157/https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/12/11/israel-us-white-phosphorus-lebanon/

Rigged Death Trap has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Dec 11, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Concern levels have been raised to Level Puce in the White House over reports of Israel using white phosphorous on civilians.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
* the us sold Israel the white phosphorus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Jel Shaker posted:

if iran close off the straight of hormus and yemen the straight bab el mandeb, that’s it as far as western civilisation goes

Hasn't South Africa been extremely vocal and diplomatically support Palestine too? It would be super great if they all also got in the action too