Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lol if you don't use the circle/slash/sign process for all your home assembly tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

corgski posted:

I remember assembling an IKEA shelving unit where someone reviewed it saying that none of the holes lined up and they had to drill all new holes and it baffles me how someone gets to that point without even considering that they might be doing it wrong.

They'll go well with the guy giving a replacement door latch I bought one star because "it only fits left hand opening doors" which confused the hell out of me for a while because I absolutely could not find anything from the supplier that said it was one way only and it felt weird that it would be, turns out that another supplier had "latch tongue can be rotated as needed".

To be fair that would have caught me out at first but I'd have figured it out - the latch body has "this way up" on it so you can't flip the body itself, you csnt buy L or R versions so therefore.....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bad Munki posted:

If you’re directly immersed, internal and external pressure will be more or less equal, so you’d still have that +.26.

Now, if your rear end in a top hat is an integral part of a larger pressure hull, yeah, it could get tricky.

Reminds me of a Robert A. Heinlein short "Gentlemen, Be Seated"
There's a large hole in the hull of a moon habitat, and the only thing handy that's big enough to plug the hole is the astronaut's butts. They're in spacesuits, but not enough air, so spacesuited rear end in a hole it is.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

IIRC they had photographic evidence of this occurring, they looked like a rocket launching on top of a brown exhaust plume.

This derail gave me some genuine laughs on a Monday. Thanks for that.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381520882608373761/1185546121959972914/404701373_362133413008436_8682308838762813358_n.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

Some years ago I bought a kitchen at Ikea. We spent like an hour trying to put this thing together after finishing most of the rest, but there was no way this thing would fit together properly. We gave up and handed the problem over to the people who were doing the actual kitchen install + mounting and they had to get pretty creative to get it to work. Apparently Ikea put the wrong plate in the box, who would have thought... :v:
IKEA's QC was atrocious in the 80s and 90s, which is when they got the rep that we joke about today, but they've shaped up a lot in the past decades. You can still get parts with dumb errors though. I had a cabinet where the channel that the back sheet of veneer is supposed to slide into was only routed halfway along its length. Fortunately they also have a generous exchange policy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

smdh at this guy using beer when he should be using a spirit level.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Collateral Damage posted:

IKEA's QC was atrocious in the 80s and 90s, which is when they got the rep that we joke about today, but they've shaped up a lot in the past decades. You can still get parts with dumb errors though. I had a cabinet where the channel that the back sheet of veneer is supposed to slide into was only routed halfway along its length. Fortunately they also have a generous exchange policy.

The thing that’s gotten me a few times is getting parts with more holes than the instructions indicate. I assume it’s that it’s a new part used in more things but the instructions don’t yet reflect it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Fortunately they also have a generous exchange policy.

Do they? I've head to return IKEA stuff twice and each time was a huge pain in the rear end. They want everything disassembled and boxed up as it came, and if you lost your receipt they basically told me you were poo poo out of luck and they couldn't look anything up.

This was a few years back so maybe they've changed but it soured me on the whole store and I never ended up going back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FCKGW posted:

Do they? I've head to return IKEA stuff twice and each time was a huge pain in the rear end. They want everything disassembled and boxed up as it came, and if you lost your receipt they basically told me you were poo poo out of luck and they couldn't look anything up.

I hadn't had any issues this year, but they were smaller things (lights, cords, etc) and I put them back in the boxes before heading over there

I was missing some studs for putting shelves in my bookcases after my move (the loving moving company sucked rear end), Ikea online has a page for replacement hardware, and they just sent a bunch to me for free. Internationally from Sweeden.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVujoz0_dTY&t=420s

Time stamped for a nice bathroom design flaw on a shifty cruise ship

e: YouTube is somehow loving up the time stamp as it doesn't go to where it should, I suspect it has to do with ads or some other nonsense. It should be at 5:45 mark.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 17, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nenonen posted:

e: YouTube is somehow loving up the time stamp as it doesn't go to where it should, I suspect it has to do with ads or some other nonsense. It should be at 5:45 mark.
Your post has the timestamp set to 420 seconds :2bong: which is 7:00, it needs to be 345 seconds for 5:45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVujoz0_dTY&t=345s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Protip: you can write timestamps as e.g. "1h32m42s". YouTube will rewrite them to just use seconds, but it does work.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is pretty tame for this thread but still worth an eye roll. Some previous owner tried to level the top of a sandstone foundation section and not only did it in a way that the mortar didn’t adhere even a little, but couldn’t even be hosed to clean the pocket out before slopping stuff in there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saw a boob light and thought of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QluXqntXCoM

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

peanut posted:

Saw a boob light and thought of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QluXqntXCoM

Thanks. I think I now have epilepsy.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
I like that he explains away the deflection and relies on those deck screws with a fairly novel load on them, leverage wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnvtxS0MxS8

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
I don't know if this Aussie fella has been posted here before but he's really opened my eyes to the quality of construction here in my neck of the woods... seems par for the course in new housing estates https://youtu.be/DXafnJY4jJI?si=6-8R6ssHiHpjTTew

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't think skeets embed yet but came across this today:

https://bsky.app/profile/ozmaracc.bsky.social/post/3kgw6jsg4qh2v

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Xerol posted:

I wonder what the HR Giger Building looks like on the inside?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

expanding foam, known for being perfectly not flammable and thus very safe around dense webs of likely shittily-installed electrical work,

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 22, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Xerol posted:

Cobbles are a strange choice for that...

*looking closer*

:stonk:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Xerol posted:

From the thumbnail I thought it was gonna be some kind of like, expose Paris catacomb situation.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Xerol posted:

Jesus Christ they even spraypainted the boxes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Xerol posted:

BRAAAAIIIINS

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Don't worry it's cold galvanizing spray not just regular spray paint, that would be just silly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I want to do my whole house that way, but painted in various shades of red, pink, and purple.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cool Dad posted:

I want to do my whole house that way, but painted in various shades of red, pink, and purple.

Decorative or structural expanding foam?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Decorative or structural expanding foam?

Load bearing foam

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

So, time to play my favorite AirBnB game of let’s find the screwed up work.

The easy find was the latch plates, this is the worst.

Now to the kitchen, that upper corner looks a little off.

Yep

Those smack right together.

Over the microwave is usually a good place, and doesn't disappoint.

Let’s see what adventure lies under the sink.

Yes, those unconnected shutoffs out of the wall are live.

Not shown the cheap fake wood flooring that isn’t sticking in a lot of spots and has some really terrible joints. There are also some bifold doors in need of an alignment. Surprisingly, the bathroom plumbing is not bad and the tile work is well done. :shrug:

Bonus notice in the front yard. Several units here so not sure if it's the one I'm in.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Not to be overly snarky, but isn't going to AirBnB and finding crappy flips kinda like going to a kindergarten to be the best person on the kickball team?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I remember having a lot of fun playing kickball in kindergarten, don't be a wet bag :D

Besides, the code violation notice is an amazing touch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MarxCarl posted:

So, time to play my favorite AirBnB game of let’s find the screwed up work.

Bonus notice in the front yard. Several units here so not sure if it's the one I'm in.

Wanna get a free stay? :v: Send in a complaint with that picture. Outside of the romex/box and floating shutoff (the ones in the wall who cares) none of that is super bad, just not clean. Assuming those cabinets operate separately.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Not to be overly snarky, but isn't going to AirBnB and finding crappy flips kinda like going to a kindergarten to be the best person on the kickball team?

If it's wrong to style on schoolchildren, I don't wanna be right :c00lbert:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It is real low hanging fruit to find this stuff at an AirBnB. I just like looking for and finding it.

The romex box thing above the microwave it the worst thing. I’m assuming they figured not many people would look due to location. But, just put the drat thing in an attached box at least in front of the hole.

I did miss that the courtyard between units is astroturfed, no grass all astroturf. Guess it cuts down on maintenance cost. That’s more of a WTF to me more than anything. Good on the owners for not forcing non native grass on the place.

If something happens on the 29th I may report it to AirBnB, but there was no set address on the notice, though I could call the number. So we’ll see what happens.

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 23, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Call the number and offer to send photos to the inspector lol.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Drop a dime on airbnb hosts and guests always. :v:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

H110Hawk posted:

Drop a dime on airbnb hosts and guests always. :v:

:hai:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

MarxCarl posted:

Over the microwave is usually a good place, and doesn't disappoint.

The outlet box sitting on the paper they were too lazy to throw away is just :discourse:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Shifty Pony posted:

Call the number and offer to send photos to the inspector lol.

not emptyquoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Print out pictures of the goatman and leave them in various places where you find subpar workmanship.