Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Kobal2 posted:

Considering the canon move for Inquisitors is to try and prod the chaos relic "just to see what it does before destroying it" ; then either immediately blow up into an abomination in a shower of innards or go stir fry cazy enough that another Inquisitor has to dome the first ; they oughta.

But of course, "Listen to me, I know a TON of things about this poo poo !" is also whence the hubris of touching the poo poo stems from in the first place. The Inquisition is a closed cycle of weaponized stupid.

Remember that one scene in Astartes? When something like that started to happen you bet your rear end I was looking for the “execute immediately” option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The novels Traitor General and The Gate of Bones give example of life under Chaos. It's unequivocally worse than the Imperium. Yeah, the Imperium's a dystopian nightmare of corruption and inequality, but under Chaos humans are nothing more than chattel. Slaves to be used up, only to be replaced by new slaves taken from the next planet they pillage.There isn't a future for humanity under Chaos. It's genocidal, not just really lovely like the Imperium.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lassitude posted:

The novels Traitor General and The Gate of Bones give example of life under Chaos. It's unequivocally worse than the Imperium. Yeah, the Imperium's a dystopian nightmare of corruption and inequality, but under Chaos humans are nothing more than chattel. Slaves to be used up, only to be replaced by new slaves taken from the next planet they pillage.There isn't a future for humanity under Chaos. It's genocidal, not just really lovely like the Imperium.

You just described the Imperium twice.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DeathSandwich posted:

Soul Jacking is one of the domains of tzeentch, the chaos God that's deeply lampshaded in the prologue and first act. Most likely (speculation) neither of the people you kill in act one are the true Aurora, merely puppets being driven by it. I'm betting dollars to donuts you'll be seeing more of them.

I'm starting to suspect Aurora is code for Tzeentch. Which would make sense - what is an aurora/dawn if not an allegory for Change itself ?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Considering the canon move for Inquisitors is to try and prod the chaos relic "just to see what it does before destroying it" ; then either immediately blow up into an abomination in a shower of innards or go stir fry cazy enough that another Inquisitor has to dome the first ; they oughta.

But of course, "Listen to me, I know a TON of things about this poo poo !" is also whence the hubris of touching the poo poo stems from in the first place. The Inquisition is a closed cycle of weaponized stupid.

Which is part of why they're my second favorite faction. The first being the totally codex compliant Black Templars who's zealotry loops back on itself. They're just the perfect little example of how hosed up the Imperium can be without going full Ecclesiarchy.

Nancy posted:

This is part of what is making the game feel like Fallout to me. That and point blank autopistol bursts shredding targets so far.

I'm partial to nearly point blank heavy bolter fire. I just finished an encounter where Argenta came fully online and just started sweeping up everything with a combination of free turns, her own heroic act to make her first attack every turn free, and other Arch Militant abilities allowing her to mag dump her heavy bolter into everything.

I just need to get one more talent for her: Arch Militant's Discipline, which gives her a stack of versatility for every bonus turn she gets. Well, two more really. I also want the one that makes Wild Fire trigger on stacks of three rather than stacks of 4. 9 stacks for a free attack is way easier than 12.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

The Inquisition factions are wild, the Puritan factions would gladly dome their closest friend in a sec if they mentioned handling a Chaos relic, meanwhile the Radicals are binding daemons and using them as weapons or tour guides.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Radical

Radical Sub-factions
Antiquarti- Focus on discovering patterns and events in the past to predict the future.
Casophilians- Dedicate their studies to the transition of a Human soul from this world to the next.
Horusians- Believe that the power of Chaos that manifested in Warmaster Horus might be harnessed for the creation of a Divine Avatar.
Istvaanism- Believe conflict is desirable to further progress through strife.
Libricars- Believe in the widespread purging of all Imperial institutions of all corruption and heresy, no matter how minor.
Oblationists- Believe that the Warp, the xenos and the unclean are utterly damning, yet their use is necessary to overcome mankind's enemies.
Ocularians- Obsessed with predicting and divining the future through arcane rituals.
Phaenonites- Believe in the rebirth of the Imperium under their own leadership. Excommunicate Traitoris.
Plutonian - Believe that resistance against Daemonic forces can be obtained through voluntary Possession.
Polypsykana- Believe in the ascension of Humanity into a purely psychic race.
Recongregationism- Believe that the Imperium should be rebuilt, lest it stagnate further and collapse under the pressure of countless threats from both without and within.
Revivificators- Goal is the study of the transition of the soul to the Warp at the moment of death.
Seculos Attendous- Maintains that the Ecclesiarchy is hampering and holding back mankind, and therefore they seek to reduce its power and influence where possible.
Xanthism- Advocates the use of Warp-based weaponry, such as daemon possessed swords, daemonhosts, and generally turning the power of Chaos against itself.
Xeno Hybris- Believe that Mankind must learn from both the achievements as well as the mistakes of Xenos races.
Name Unknown - convinced that the Emperor's final ascension can come only in death. These ultra-radicals are mercilessly annihilated by Adeptus Custodes at the slightest detection.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Girl, please

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Girl, please

She ain't wrong though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you're wondering why any sane, intelligent person would choose to embrace Chaos, other people did already allude to it, but the grand prize is becoming a daemon prince. You get to be an immortal demigod with an entire section of reality (a planet at the absolute minimum) to turn into your own personal playground, and nobody to answer to except the Chaos Gods themselves, who are mostly content to leave you to do your own thing unless you're stupid enough to try to usurp them (which, admittedly, a lot of daemon princes are, despite it always being a terrible idea that ends terribly).

The path to becoming a prince is insanely long, difficult, and treacherous, with only one in tens of billions making it all the way, but it's a genuine offer that's open to everyone, from the lowliest underhive muties to the flowers of Imperial aristocracy (and pretty much every kind of sapient xenos as well, of course), and the rewards are exactly as rad as they sound. I would assume that if you play your cards right, it's the 'good ending' for the Hereticus route, and it certainly offers you more power, freedom and security than anything a Dogmatic or Iconoclast Trader could ever dream of if you don't mind the mountains of corpses (and people who very much wish they were corpses) that you leave in your wake.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lassitude posted:

That's just the Imperium again. You're just not quite as aware of it because the main viewpoint to the Imperium are the nobility benefiting from the slavery. Every imperial vessel literally has whole tribes of chattel slaves to do things like stoke the engines. Only difference with Chaos is that you get the victim's perspective slightly more often. Like Cassia kills dozens of people to connect to ship wifi.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like Cassia kills dozens of people to connect to ship wifi grimdark GPS.

Fixed it :eng101: Astropaths are the ones who connect to wifi, and they only sacrifice themselves!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That's just the Imperium again. You're just not quite as aware of it because the main viewpoint to the Imperium are the nobility benefiting from the slavery. Every imperial vessel literally has whole tribes of chattel slaves to do things like stoke the engines. Only difference with Chaos is that you get the victim's perspective slightly more often. Like Cassia kills dozens of people to connect to ship wifi.

Get the flamer boys.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

And its seen as an unfortunate thing that has to be done. If you were some sort of chaos rogue trader she would have killed that many people merely boarding the ship and have kept doing it because she can and no one can stop her, she's too powerful and valuable.

Chaos is by definition the dark reflection of everyone's psyches. If you're strong with chaos you can do whatever you want to whoever you want thats weaker than you. The imperium chews up people as a matter of policy, but chaos does it as a fundamental law of its existence.

The imperium is very, very, extremely, super bad but chaos is so far beyond it as to be incomparable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm doing the Spaceport right now and I gotta say, having Cassia and/or Argenta just single-handedly wipe out the whole encounters in one go is very satisfying in this game.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the main difference between the imperium and chaos is one is black comedy the other is horror.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

Another reason people turn to Chaos is that it's subtle- even those Chaos factions who are infamous for their hordes of screaming berserkers don't start out that way. It's not like there's a white van pulling up to grubby Imperial citizens, a daemonette leans out and says "Hey fellow kids, you want some hentacles?". Chaos infection starts out like any addiction- the dealer gives you a hit of the good stuff, or you 'find' a bit of the good stuff, and everything else follows from there.

And yet another thing is that, when it comes right down to it, Chaos is just a dark mirror of the Imperium itself.

How do you distinguish the berzerk ravings of a Khorne cultist from the RIGHTEOUS omnicidal fury that is expected of each and every soldier of the Emprah ?
How is turning to the unethical, hazardous, murderous-to-others rites of Nurgle to extend one's righteous life just a little further questionable when doing that is/was LITERALLY one of the core tenets of your religion ?
How are the devious, secretive ways of Tzeentch any different from the wheels within wheels of the Inquisition, the ubiquitous commissar informants and so on ?
As for Slaanesh, have you even MET your average Imperial noble ?! The golden youth of Hive Necromunda canonically don super high tech gear (the likes of which the Imperial Guard doesn't even have) just to go down into the lawless lower levels of the hive to hunt and murder random strangers for sport and idle thrills...and that's without any Chaos influence whatsoever !

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Carcer posted:

And its seen as an unfortunate thing that has to be done. If you were some sort of chaos rogue trader she would have killed that many people merely boarding the ship and have kept doing it because she can and no one can stop her, she's too powerful and valuable.

Chaos is by definition the dark reflection of everyone's psyches. If you're strong with chaos you can do whatever you want to whoever you want thats weaker than you. The imperium chews up people as a matter of policy, but chaos does it as a fundamental law of its existence.

The imperium is very, very, extremely, super bad but chaos is so far beyond it as to be incomparable.

:hmmyes: the mythical 1000% hitler versus the 500% hitler

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there something that I can do to let a Soldier shoot in melee range?
I tried looking at the talent tree but I didn't find anything, but I could've easily overlooked something.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Jack Trades posted:

Personally, I'm not particularly bothered.
She's really like a big spoiled toddler so I'm not in a particular hurry to get in there.

Hoping for a more interesting romance option later on.
If I'm lucky, whoever worked on the feral spider-woman from WotR worked on this game too.

Jae's is pretty fun actually, you can pursue her aggressively or she'll do all the work for you.

And Yrliet's a good slow burn where you have to work past a looot of cultural differences and you can screw it up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The dark and terrible secret of the Imperium is that it's a Chaos cult so incompetent and disorganised that it doesn't even know why it's murdering, mutilating, and enslaving people half the time.

Ignorance is strength, citizen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kobal2 posted:

And yet another thing is that, when it comes right down to it, Chaos is just a dark mirror of the Imperium itself.

How do you distinguish the berzerk ravings of a Khorne cultist from the RIGHTEOUS omnicidal fury that is expected of each and every soldier of the Emprah ?
How is turning to the unethical, hazardous, murderous-to-others rites of Nurgle to extend one's righteous life just a little further questionable when doing that is/was LITERALLY one of the core tenets of your religion ?
How are the devious, secretive ways of Tzeentch any different from the wheels within wheels of the Inquisition, the ubiquitous commissar informants and so on ?
As for Slaanesh, have you even MET your average Imperial noble ?! The golden youth of Hive Necromunda canonically don super high tech gear (the likes of which the Imperial Guard doesn't even have) just to go down into the lawless lower levels of the hive to hunt and murder random strangers for sport and idle thrills...and that's without any Chaos influence whatsoever !

To quote Imperial zealots in Darktide, who say this without a hint of irony: "Blood for the Emperor! Skulls for the Golden Throne!"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sekenr posted:

Can someone spoil a thing for me I went with heretical choice at the very start but since than was very idiosyncratic with my choices. Most notably I hidden the blade hilt from Hendrix but then for some reason gave him the blade itself, dont ask. Will not sticking to the chosen path bite me in the rear end later? Will I be dissapointed story-wise?

mechanically and lorewise you're going to be heavily rewarded for picking a side of the triangle and sticking with it
nobody likes a fencesitter

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kobal2 posted:

If you play Darktide at all, you'll not that the various Zealots you can play as universally cry "Blood for the Emperor! Skulls for the Golden Throne!"

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Is there something that I can do to let a Soldier shoot in melee range?
I tried looking at the talent tree but I didn't find anything, but I could've easily overlooked something.

Put a shotgun in your second slot.
(to clarify : shotguns and pistols can be fired in melee without taking AOs. Pistols suck, however, hence...
In the early game you might could want sword+autopistol instead just for the +10% parry chance, and a double full auto Autopistol burst into a cultist is good enough ; but there's an item in early chapter 2 that lets you parry with your ballistic skill as long as you're wielding a 2H shoota.)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 11, 2023

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Cythereal posted:

To quote Imperial zealots in Darktide, who say this without a hint of irony: "Blood for the Emperor! Skulls for the Golden Throne!"

This battlecry is actually the original, with the more-famous version being later co-opted by Chaos. Just like the warriors themselves!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, I really want the 40k version of Henchman 21. Just a low level grunt that knows the game just enough to avoid dying like chump constantly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's ignorance and there's intent. The Imperium murders through ignorance and it's blind to its own sins. It has elements who know full well what they do, but even larger sections that keeps the perpetual mechanism going through ten thousand years of conditioned ignorance.

Chaos murders with intent. It knows that pain holds power. It knows that the most gruesome torture is like high octane prometheum, that betrayal is a delicious treat to entities that will strip out your tendons one by one and keep you alive for years after. It knows that a sacrifice that spends its last moments aware of the universe will sustain the immaterial even longer than those witless cogs caught in the machinery of the Imperium. Chaos turns humans into living hosts for diseases crafted by gods for the express purpose of extracting purestrain misery from billions of billions who will see the truth of the universe screaming towards them in an endless hell. Chaos is intent, it's pure will made manifest. You do not die to chaos because an administratum clerk smudged a decimal and sent a bulk carrier into a sun. You die to chaos because something wants you to die, knowing that there is nothing in the universe but pain and loss and endless suffering.

And then you find that you did not truly die, and as you lie there on the ground as part of a sacrificial carpet of flesh, watching a chaos titan stomp closer and closer, knowing your blood will anoint its feet, you might wish that you just got crushed by a treshing machine on an agri-world or something.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't buy any of the ignorance talk. The second most common emotion you see in imperial named characters is glee at killing or maiming their underlings. Right behind grim resignation.

Carcer posted:

Maybe you haven't gotten to Cassia's companion quests but she does indeed keep killing people, and is kept around because she's more valuable than them.

Chaos is defined that way because it is the manifestation of the Imperium and to a much lesser extent the Eldar's evil in the Immaterial.

Though just in case it isn't obvious I'm only talking about pre-Guilliman revival Imperium. In theory the places where his reforms remove some of the pointless cruelty are better than Chaos. He is at least no longer strictly genocidal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Chaos turns humans into living hosts for diseases gifts crafted by gods for the express purpose of extracting purestrain misery from billions of billions who will see the truth of the universe screaming towards them in an endless hell. Chaos is intent, it's pure will made manifest. You do not die to chaos because an administratum clerk smudged a decimal and sent a bulk carrier into a sun. You die to chaos because something wants you to die, knowing that there is nothing in the universe but pain and loss and endless suffering.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well yeah but I gotta make it sound bad in case the big capital 'I' listens in. taps nose three times

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Just wrapped up (I think) Act 1 (the fight against the CSM aurora) . Curious what the enemy variety is like in this game. Do we run the whole gamut of daemons & the various xenos species? Or are we mostly seeing Chaos Cultists/Daemons/Aeldari/Drukhari

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm glad you can ignore/avoid almost all of the voidship combat in this game because goddamn does it get brutally difficult later on

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm glad you can ignore/avoid almost all of the voidship combat in this game because goddamn does it get brutally difficult later on

Uh, yeah I don't think you can. There are some mandatory story beats where you have to engage in ship combat, and the only way to make ship combat easier is to fight a bunch of times to level up your ship, and getting the Imperial Navy vendor to reputation 5 for all the good stuff.

Of course you can just Toybox the battles if you want, that's also a perfectly valid option.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there anyplace to grind naval rep? Into Act 2 now and still at zero. Havent seen void trophies of any sort drop. Fought pirates, chaos destroyers, and Eldar now

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

srypher posted:

Just wrapped up (I think) Act 1 (the fight against the CSM aurora) . Curious what the enemy variety is like in this game. Do we run the whole gamut of daemons & the various xenos species? Or are we mostly seeing Chaos Cultists/Daemons/Aeldari/Drukhari

There's necrons and genestealers too. Also some wildlife. No orcs at all. That's all I'm aware of.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Best part of this game is that as long as Abelard's in your party, you can always make him properly introduce you to the people you're about to make wipe your feet/blast into oblivion - protocol exists for a reason!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Weirdly inconsistently crashy for me so far. It's running perfectly during fights and stuff, just had a couple crashes after combat, picking up the random stuff off all the corpses and then it's crashed opening up the inventory.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Uh, yeah I don't think you can. There are some mandatory story beats where you have to engage in ship combat, and the only way to make ship combat easier is to fight a bunch of times to level up your ship, and getting the Imperial Navy vendor to reputation 5 for all the good stuff.

Of course you can just Toybox the battles if you want, that's also a perfectly valid option.

:argh: I think I'll just toybox my ship to max rank and avoid the random battles where possible. The combat is for sure more fun than the usual Owlcat side combat systems but not when you're facing 4+ ships that can all knock half your hull off every turn

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You guys say chaos is bad yet the Emperor clearly founded the empire of Melniboné with the help of Arioch several million years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Is there anyplace to grind naval rep? Into Act 2 now and still at zero. Havent seen void trophies of any sort drop. Fought pirates, chaos destroyers, and Eldar now

You get the stuff for Navy reputation from fighting ship battles. but for some reason you can't send it straight to your cargo. You have to find it in your inventroy and send it to cargo manually.