Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The Mario timeline is even less meaningful or reliable than the Zelda timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i saw the mario movie on twitter when musk implemented his great idea of allowing multi gig uploads.

the movie is just polished triple A stuff. no bad, but also not great. imo the thing that annoyed me the most was the mario soundeffects and music. its like they had a bingo checklist of getting all the references.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Also the music was weird. Take On Me is a fine song but I couldn't tell if it was there because it was like, oh yeah a cool song or if somehow there was a reference to the music video I was missing?

Because in the music video there's the theme of visiting another world but beyond that I can't find any connection to the music and the scene.

And yeah like on one hand you can say I'm looking into it too much, but on the other hand this film cost a fuckton of money to make and you can spend a few bucks to look through Spotify to find a more relevant 80s hit. Like Pac Man Fever

:v: * * * * https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_ESTnBlS0

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Dec 11, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently the really on the nose needle drops were literally placeholder music that Dreamworks suits insisted on keeping in and Nintendo decided not to fight them about it since they didn't know much about lyrical music in English.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biplane posted:

I think its so dumb that adults are now incapable of accepting that some movies aren't made for them; movies for kids don't need to appeal to jaded bitter adult goons and can, in fact, not make a lot of sense. Because they're for children.

Cartoons often have a few little hidden things for long suffering parents to chuckle at as their kid demands to watch them for the 47th time. Because of this, some childless adults with diminished social skills have come to the conclusion that the cartoons are in fact made for adults as only adults can fully appreciate them.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Splicer posted:

They can but they don't have to. The first sonic movie was somehow actually a good film. Why not make a bunch of flashing lights and colours and also a good film? They're not mutually exclusive.

Gotta educate the youth about bad movies so they know what to expect from "adult" media.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Splicer posted:

They can but they don't have to. The first sonic movie was somehow actually a good film. Why not make a bunch of flashing lights and colours and also a good film? They're not mutually exclusive.

I am jealous of your ability to enjoy films, because that movie gave me whiplash.

Is the second one any better? Heard it got pretty okay reviews last year

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The two Sonic movies were good, not sure how I felt about the wedding subplot in the second movie but it did a good job of getting rid of the humans so the movie could focus on Sonic/Tails/Knuckles, and it gave the bitchy sister-in-law some much needed depth. All in all, I have decent hopes for the third movie.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I enjoyed the sonic movies. Idris Elba as Knuckles was inspired casting

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ynohtna posted:

Gotta educate the youth about bad movies so they know what to expect from "adult" media.

Kids have to learn about Tekwar sooner or later.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Kids have to learn about Tekwar sooner or later.

Isn't that classified as a war crime?

Make the little bastards suffer through the video game as well, complete with Shatner's "acting"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rewatched Hbomberguy's essay on how RWBY was a disappointment and it got me thinking. What other media has the ostensible main characters get sidelined in their own show? Hbomb pointed out that the core four have to share episodes with a bunch of dudes voiced by the writers, and whatever climactic sequences a season ends on just focuses on a bunch of barely-mentioned new characters.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Happy Days comes to mind immediately.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Caddyshack as well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The original, planned version of Caddyshack would have sucked. As an Irish person that accent offended me, and I don't even have an Irish accent. Bizarrely that subplot nobody liked was meant to be the main plot. They figured if you have all these funny people around, and Chevy Chase, you might as well use them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Family matters was a big one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Does "The Connors" count? In that case it was because Rosanne got booted off the show but still.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Valerie eventually becoming the Hogan Family.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A ways into it but Charlie Sheen got removed from Two and a Half Men for being Charlie Sheen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Rewatched Hbomberguy's essay on how RWBY was a disappointment and it got me thinking. What other media has the ostensible main characters get sidelined in their own show? Hbomb pointed out that the core four have to share episodes with a bunch of dudes voiced by the writers, and whatever climactic sequences a season ends on just focuses on a bunch of barely-mentioned new characters.

Arguably The Expanse (the show, can't speak to the books)? Holden has severe main-character syndrome in that he's pivotal in just about every major plot moment, but hardly has a personality of his own. The later seasons seem to realise this and give the various secondary characters a lot more focus over him. But in this instance that really worked to the show's advantage.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't supposed to have Jack Sparrow as the main character

also, homestuck

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Everything Minions related

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In RWBY's case the main characters, that the show was advertised on, have to share oxygen with a pair of author stand-ins who are definitely not breakout characters. Urkel Annoying, but not Urkel Popular.

I think this phenomenon could be called "Who the gently caress are these guys?" In his recent essay on Plagiarism, Hbomb pointed out that James Rolfe was sadly demoted to an optional side-character on his channel after it got taken over.

See also, Scrubs. Which returned for 9th series nobody asked for that focused on a bunch guys nobody cared for. It was meant to be a spinoff but executively hamstrung into being the main show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mario isn't a kids movie, it's a safe for adults to bring their kids to movie.

Kids don't play Nintendo. They play Mindcraft or Fortknife.

maybeadracula posted:

I haven't seen the Minions movies, but they do seem to still be making Despicable Me movies alongside them that star Gru and the daughter characters.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
A favorite of mine was how Good Morning, Miss Bliss became Saved by the Bell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At one point they shot intros for the Good Morning Miss Bliss episodes where high school Zack tries to explain his early days in junior high. Nothing about how a principal, a waiter/magician, and several children all moved from Indiana to California.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Alhazred posted:

Super Mario Bros. Movie
Not a great movie and it did have some irritating movie moments:

What exactly is Mario's character arc? He never have a major crisis of faith, he doesn't develop into a good selfless character because that's who has always been,He doesn't even get good at fighting and jumping, he just randomly picks the best power ups. Luigi has more of an arc and he's hardly in the movie.

A major parr of the movie is about getting the Kong army to fight with the Mushroom Kingdom. The majority of the movie is about that.But then the entire army gets captured by Bowser and Mario, Peach and Kong still easily defeat Bowser. Why did they need the army so bad?

The movie completely yada yadas why Peach became princess. Is there a prophecy? Is humans special in this world? The movie certainly doesn't care about that.

Calling it now: they'll make a couple sequels that follow some of the Mario lore, like how the second game was "just a dream". They'll loop back to the part in SMB1 where Mario/Luigi were on the broken pipe & smashed through the wall to find that "secret" area, only to find out they got knocked out & the whole rest of the movie didn't really happen. It sounds stupid but I wouldn't put it past the studio/production to try.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

See also, Scrubs. Which returned for 9th series nobody asked for that focused on a bunch guys nobody cared for. It was meant to be a spinoff but executively hamstrung into being the main show.

I rewatched all of Scrubs recently and it's especially jarring on a binge watch because season 8 ends with a solid, definitive ending. Characters get resolutions, there's just the right amount of nostalgia, and it ends with a big farewell to the audience. It's a really good ending for a show that's really uneven. Everyone knew it was the end and were happy with it. Most of the cast even moved on to other gigs.

And then it keeps going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

Also: isn't Cranky Kong the original Donkey Kong, and the Donkey Kong we generally know from Donkey Kong Country on is actually grown-up Donkey Kong Jr? That was definitely my takeaway from Donkey Kong Country on SNES when I was a kiddo.

Related: Diddy's Kong Quest is really great word play

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes, I believe this is all correct.

Cranky is the original, Jr is a deadbeat dad who isn't around, and the DK that's the leader of the bunch is the 3rd.

https://archive.org/details/donkey-kong-country-usa-rev-2/page/n3/mode/2up

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Weird how Donkey Kong was outclassed in his debut game which gave him his design that stuck for the past 30 years. Diddy had no drawbacks whatsoever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Weird how Donkey Kong was outclassed in his debut game which gave him his design that stuck for the past 30 years. Diddy had no drawbacks whatsoever.

Wasn't Diddy unable to kill the big, burly enemies? That's the only real advantage I can remember DK having.

And then Dixie showed up in 2 and made everyone else pointless.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Randalor posted:

Wasn't Diddy unable to kill the big, burly enemies? That's the only real advantage I can remember DK having.

And then Dixie showed up in 2 and made everyone else pointless.

The ground slam had some utility as well

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

maybeadracula posted:

I initially read this as "Minoans", and was going to respond with "The Mycenaeans are main characters too, you gently caress!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rascar Capac posted:

I initially read this as "Minoans", and was going to respond with "The Mycenaeans are main characters too, you gently caress!"

Don't be such a Minoan :rolleyes:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The Book of Boba Fett giving up on trying to have an arc for it's titular character and just reverting to the Mandalorian for the last few episodes. At the time that was a character I liked and it still felt really weird and badly planned (lol as if Disney is planning any of this poo poo)

tbh I'm having a hard time thinking of examples where side characters take up the main focus but nobody likes them. Maybe this just doesn't happen as much with bigger/more mainstream productions?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Zonko_T.M. posted:

tbh I'm having a hard time thinking of examples where side characters take up the main focus but nobody likes them. Maybe this just doesn't happen as much with bigger/more mainstream productions?
If you want to go that direction, Wesley Crusher's an example.

Mandalorian Season 2.5 was fun, though. Isn't that when he gets the sick hotrod/Naboo Starfighter?

stringless has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Dec 11, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This kind of happened multiple times in Star Trek Discovery, but the rub is that a lot of people didn't really like the main characters much either

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've dropped several webcomics over the years because they kept spending so much time with side characters that you almost forget who the protagonist even is.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

maybeadracula posted:

This kind of happened multiple times in Star Trek Discovery, but the rub is that a lot of people didn't really like the main characters much either

this one did occur to me but then when I watched the show I got really annoyed that they kept introducing new, sometimes more interesting characters but every major event had to pivot around Michael even when it made no sense.

Wesleyan Crusher is a good example, saved by the fact they eased off his character after the first couple of seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Star Trek Picard introduced a ton of new characters, some of them actually good and interesting, then killed them all off screen between seasons to bring in the entire TNG cast instead

(Except for the worst one, she stayed)