Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Beeswax posted:

I have several internal HDDs that are alive and kicking after 10+ years. Google says 3-5 years but that sounds absurd to me. Maybe I'm just a nurturing tech user.

I don't remember ever having a HDD break down on me since 1993. And I have had some computers for a long time.

One exception: I plugged the wrong PSU to one external HDD and it fried the circuit. But after I replaced the control board it worked again and the actual HDD still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

I don't remember ever having a HDD break down on me since 1993. And I have had some computers for a long time.

One exception: I plugged the wrong PSU to one external HDD and it fried the circuit. But after I replaced the control board it worked again and the actual HDD still works.

Same except i used wrong cables (from and old 1000w psu with different polarity or something) for new psu and the entire pc got smoked. The plastic on the harddrives caught on fire and i had to dump them in the sink lol.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5QI_QnAw9U

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I worked somewhere with a process we called 'shucking drive sleds' we went through so many HDDs. Tons were deskstars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you want to extend the lifetime of your old harddrive rub it thoroughly with the strongest magnet you can find. This loosens up the internals and makes it run smoother and longer.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Large Testicles posted:

grape dimatap is so good that they had to refomulate it so it didnt give you stokes

My daughter hates it so, I, completely dumbfounded, tried it myself; I think they put xylitol or something in it now so it has this weird taste to it :smith:

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you want to extend the lifetime of your old harddrive rub it thoroughly with the strongest magnet you can find. This loosens up the internals and makes it run smoother and longer.

Do this to any floppy disk and you’ll double its storage capacity, triple if it’s a tape cassette

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Everyone knows about magnet greasing their hard drives and floppies to make them work better. It's almost 2024!

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

You can just say you like The Presidents of the United States of America, it's not against the law

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

We called em deathstars.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LookieLoo posted:

We called em deathstars.

:hfive:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:drugnerd:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that's why they're selling fatal lemonade: the CEO is evil

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

It basically forgets to be a satire after, like, the fifth chapter though.

There's also an incredibly gross sex scene between yt and the hitman that I'm pretty sure Stevenson was jacking off to the entire time he wrote it, which I did not care for at all

It's been like uh 1998 when I read it but wasn't this character like 15 years old as well? Even at the time that stuck me as iffy because I was the same age.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's been like uh 1998 when I read it but wasn't this character like 15 years old as well? Even at the time that stuck me as iffy because I was the same age.

yeah, the book is quite gross and it's not even interesting to read nowadays, it's like a parody of itself now

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I mean it's true

But they never, ever were, unless THEY were shareholders as well which lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what's this about

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Dabir posted:

what's this about

Albert Hoffman was researching ergot (a fungus) and accidentally ingested some, leading to the discovery of LSD.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

A bike ride along Lake Shore Dr.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dabir posted:

what's this about

Ergot and Hofmann

Edit: beaten by a more thorough explanation

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

zoux posted:

He goes on to say that there needs to be therapists in the C suite and managers need to better connect with their employees, to learn what motivates them (hint: it’s a livable wage), to to have empathy or whatever; it’s a start I guess? in that it’s more than just saying “hey pizza party this Friday” but it’s just a bunch of hollow platitudes, too little too late and all that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Where's the The Onion logo?

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Is there some mythical period in the past when employees were motivated by making money for shareholders?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

mystes posted:

Is there some mythical period in the past when employees were motivated by making money for shareholders?

No

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mystes posted:

I imagine such a period exists in the minds of many shareholders.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

mystes posted:

Well historically the idea of shareholders was primarily people who believed in the company and worked hard to make it better i.e the employees. As a result they would be the primary beneficiaries if things were going well. This of course might be a good idea so has long since faded into irrelevance.

In conclusion, capitalism is a land of contracts.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

mystes posted:

Was there every a time that workers cooperatives were more widespread?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zoux posted:

top notch clickbait right there

"High up in the business world, where decisions can be molded and shaped by the needs and demands of major investors and shareholders, it can be easy to forget that, well, most average people don't really care about that, Panera's founder says."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mystes posted:

Dodge vs Ford maybe when the Dodge brothers wanted to make enough money from the Ford dividends to start Dodge

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

minato posted:

Albert Hoffman was researching ergot (a fungus) and accidentally ingested some, leading to the discovery of LSD.
Pretty sure Bicycle Day was after he'd isolated it, and the "accident" was only that he took 10x what's now considered to be a single dose.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

zoux posted:

FTA: "I always say that therapists belong in the C-suite," Shaich wrote in his book, "Know What Matters: Lessons from a Lifetime of Transformations."

Because they can afford it thanks to screwing over their labor who need it more and can't. Maybe the "C-suite" are the useless loving leeches here.

"So much of what running a business is about is figuring out 'how do I connect with people?'" Shaich told BI. "What motivates them, and how do I help them decide to affiliate with what the mission of the enterprise is?"

Jesus loving Christ. NOBODY wants to be told that their time away from family and the physical and mental pain they put up with daily are only to make *a faceless, nameless group of people richer* and not themselves, so you have to spice it up with bullshit like "wE'rE cHaNgInG tHe WoRlD!1!!"

And we're right back to corpos as cults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2gg4_4GIEg

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

root beer posted:

He goes on to say that there needs to be therapists in the C suite and managers need to better connect with their employees, to learn what motivates them (hint: it’s a livable wage), to to have empathy or whatever; it’s a start I guess? in that it’s more than just saying “hey pizza party this Friday” but it’s just a bunch of hollow platitudes, too little too late and all that

more like trying to understand what motivates the employees, so they can better convince them that appeasing shareholders is somehow in line with that

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My bosses actually care about their employees and customers and their problems, but I'm pretty sure this is a major cause of the company not being very successful. Turns out that cutting costs and lying to sell poo poo is much better business than actually making good products by involving the employees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could give the shares to the employees

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

minato posted:

PBUH

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's an actual religious cult (allegedly) that formed around a chain restaurant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Tribes_communities

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Everyone should lick ergot fungus this is good advice. Put it in your tacos!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

euphronius posted:

I enjoyed in Office Space when the Bobs asked Peter if some kind of profit sharing/stock reward thing would help him give a gently caress about his job and he was like "iunno, maybe". In my experience companies that do anything like that make sure all the employees shares/profits combined are a fraction of what the C-suite, board of directors, and real shareholders get and it's really just a "benefit" they throw at you instead of a raise (and can write off themselves while you pay taxes on it)

Even "worker-owned co-operatives" like REI can and do gently caress over their employees with poo poo wages and benefits, and I bet just one of those vest-wearing grunts selling $200 pants and $600 coats makes more profit for the company than whatever the guys in suits do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

euphronius posted:

I heard it here so grain of salt but apparently old man Walton did used to give long term walmart employees stock so that they wouldnt retire entirely destitute. It's kinda lame that you'd have to work there a long rear end time probably but it's so much less ridiculous than most poo poo these days that I can hardly conceive of it. Then he croaked and his rotten kids got ahold of things,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, shares are worthless unless you can either sell them at a profit (which is not good for loyalty) or have enough that shareholder dividends actually produce real money, in which case you're almost certainly a rich fucker and not a worker. The better option, in my opinion, is to keep the money in the company to use on important expenses (my salary).