Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I guess potty training has failed after a full week of work so it just ended up as week where he got to drink juice all day and watch tv. Dude just does not want to use the toilet. No incentives we could think of worked for more than a minute and as soon as the choice came between sitting on the toilet for more than a second or not getting the reward, he would choose to get off the toilet. Never got to a point where he would tell us he needed to go, though he showed a clear awareness that he needed to go (hiding under the table to poo poo, for example). Taking him every 30 minutes produced only 2-3 accidents a day, but we simply can't expect the daycare staff to continue that, especially because some of the trips required so much effort just to get him to sit at all, let alone to get him to pee.

Guess we're just going to have to wait a few months and offer again. It just feels real loving bad that we can't figure out how to get a 3 year old to understand how much better it is to use the toilet instead of a diaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Have you discussed it with your daycare? Ours did most of the work for us. We sent her in undies, packed a bunch extra + clothes, and they cleaned up the eventual accidents. She got it pretty quickly around age 3. Unfortunately poop is easy to hold all day at school so she’s now 4 and still not convinced that potty > diaper for pooping.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

nachos posted:

Have you discussed it with your daycare? Ours did most of the work for us. We sent her in undies, packed a bunch extra + clothes, and they cleaned up the eventual accidents. She got it pretty quickly around age 3. Unfortunately poop is easy to hold all day at school so she’s now 4 and still not convinced that potty > diaper for pooping.

It's more the fighting about getting him to go at all. I'll talk to them tomorrow when daycare opens back up (it was closed this week so we used it as an opportunity to go whole hog on potty training). You're right that they may be willing to try to work with him to get it. I'm just concerned we're pushing too hard at this point since he's been so resistant.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

It's more the fighting about getting him to go at all. I'll talk to them tomorrow when daycare opens back up (it was closed this week so we used it as an opportunity to go whole hog on potty training). You're right that they may be willing to try to work with him to get it. I'm just concerned we're pushing too hard at this point since he's been so resistant.

Yeah a 3 year old is more headstrong compared to a 2 year old so the treats and rewards might not work as well. There’s no shame in backing off and trying again later when they are more ready.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
It's gotten so quiet. Where are the kids...?

Oh no oh no oh no it's everywhere!

Edit: parents of older children, when does suspicious quiet not indicate a whole new mess of lol and aaaaah.

In the above example, a whole bottle of dish soap, curiosity dictating a threenager test how it might feel outside the bottle and on the hardwood floor.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 10, 2023

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Olanphonia posted:

I guess potty training has failed after a full week of work so it just ended up as week where he got to drink juice all day and watch tv. Dude just does not want to use the toilet. No incentives we could think of worked for more than a minute and as soon as the choice came between sitting on the toilet for more than a second or not getting the reward, he would choose to get off the toilet. Never got to a point where he would tell us he needed to go, though he showed a clear awareness that he needed to go (hiding under the table to poo poo, for example). Taking him every 30 minutes produced only 2-3 accidents a day, but we simply can't expect the daycare staff to continue that, especially because some of the trips required so much effort just to get him to sit at all, let alone to get him to pee.

Guess we're just going to have to wait a few months and offer again. It just feels real loving bad that we can't figure out how to get a 3 year old to understand how much better it is to use the toilet instead of a diaper.

We were in a position where our 3 year old showed little interest, and resisted diaper changes to the point of a wrestling match. It was getting crunch time for him to start PreK at the Montessori school and they needed him trained.

We counted down the last 10 diapers to him, then went naked for a few days, then shorts, and lastly shorts with underwear. It was a little rough at the start but he caught on quickly. I think we only had turds drop on the floor once.

The worst part of it wasn't even the accidents but during the naked days when he would want to crank on his exposed penis or when he'd want to climb all over you

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

A Bad King posted:

It's gotten so quiet. Where are the kids...?

Oh no oh no oh no it's everywhere!

Edit: parents of older children, when does suspicious quiet not indicate a whole new mess of lol and aaaaah.

In the above example, a whole bottle of dish soap, curiosity dictating a threenager test how it might feel outside the bottle and on the hardwood floor.

With an 11 year old, ADHD, being quiet usually means she’s absorbed in something. Usually not beneficial, but it’s sucked her in.

Either drawing, books, phone, or switch.

Never homework.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Rufio posted:

We were in a position where our 3 year old showed little interest, and resisted diaper changes to the point of a wrestling match. It was getting crunch time for him to start PreK at the Montessori school and they needed him trained.

We counted down the last 10 diapers to him, then went naked for a few days, then shorts, and lastly shorts with underwear. It was a little rough at the start but he caught on quickly. I think we only had turds drop on the floor once.

The worst part of it wasn't even the accidents but during the naked days when he would want to crank on his exposed penis or when he'd want to climb all over you

We did the same/similar progression of naked for two days then pants with 30 min check-ins and it just kind of ended up with a big struggle maybe half the time to even get him to sit. Having accidents didn't seem to phase him that much.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I think we are starting to finally get to the part of parenting where I am actually feeling like I’ve accomplished something instead of just a daily slog.

They (9,6,6) were watching Saturday morning TV, and one of the boys said something negative about girls that I didn’t overhear, I suspect the typical “girls are icky” stupidity that goes around.

The other two both immediately called him out on it, basically going “not cool, you have a sister and a mom.”

It’s those moments that make it worthwhile, knowing that we’re doing at least something right.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son just managed to fling a breakfast sausage so it dove perfectly into a heat register grille. One in a million shot. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it.

Now he doesn't understand why he can't eat it. The five second rule is right out the window here, dude.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone have recommendations for decent waterproof mattress covers and pillow protectors? About to upgrade our 3 year old to a twin bed, but he’s prone to vomiting fits when he’s sick (which, due to preschool, is always). Preferably something soft that doesn’t make crinkly sounds.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Bad King posted:

We're going for number 3. Oh god.

So elated. So terrified.

Someone please let me know their experience with three gremlins two years apart or near to it. I need affirmation that we can do it. I'm just so darn tired with just two!!!

My kids are now 12, 10 and 8 and I must say that the hardest jump was still 0 to 1. On kid three you've already got the routines down, you're not so terrified of accidentally, I don't know, scarring the kid forever because you lost his pacifier or whatever. I mean, yes, it's still harder because the oldest kid is now 4 and wants to run off into the unknown while you're juggling a baby and a toddler and they also outnumber you now so they are the ones who can divide and conquer instead of you, but every once in a while you'll see all three of them playing together quietly and your heart will just melt and your brain will say "go get some sleep" and you'll wake up and there's bright orange paint all over the kitchen when you wake up 5 minutes later.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

remigious posted:

I never thought that at nearly 40 years old I would be eating Dino Nuggies for dinner once a week, but here we are.

Dino Nugget trip report: she only threw 3/4 of the plate on the floor for the dog to eat instead of all of it! Success!

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Accidentally just used my daughter’s strawberry toothpaste. Not great. Do not feel like my teeth are clean.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My boy's is apple flavored and it's extremely strongly flavored. I swear it's why he loves that toothbrush is because of the apple flavor.

Also whoever suggested using two toothbrushes to brush his teeth, one for him and one for me, was right. When he flips it backwards and chews on the handle* then I can sneak in there and actually brush his teeth.

*WTF little guy, why are you chewing on the handle?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
All you dino nugget aficionados should check the recall: https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/tyson-recalls-30000-pounds-chicken-dinosaur-shaped-fun-nuggets-2023-11-05/

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

First night with babby 2 and I got 4.5 hrs of mostly interrupted sleep, not bad all things considered. The dude is an animal on the changing table, I can’t wrangle him for the life of me. Really I mostly just want the cocomelon lane songs out of my heYES YES YES, IMAGINE WITH ME

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Daddy you ok?"
"Yeah buddy, sorry I read something sad and it made daddy sad."
"You sad?"
"Yeah, I'm sad."
"At monsters?"
"...what?"
"Daddy sad at monsters?"
"No I'm sad, no scared."
"Sad... at monsters?"
"No. I'm not sad at monsters."
"You scared at monsters?"
"A little."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Why are three separate poster's kids invited to trampoline parks? Did I miss a memo?

I assume it's going around Instagram or something, like how a couple months ago everyone on earth had to cut some leg holes in a pumpkin and stick the baby in that clammy thing for some pics.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

"Daddy you ok?"
"Yeah buddy, sorry I read something sad and it made daddy sad."
"You sad?"
"Yeah, I'm sad."
"At monsters?"
"...what?"
"Daddy sad at monsters?"
"No I'm sad, no scared."
"Sad... at monsters?"
"No. I'm not sad at monsters."
"You scared at monsters?"
"A little."

:3: very sweet that your lil buddy checked on you

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Hand food and mouth is back. Fuuuuuuck off, least this time maybe all the skin on my hands won't fall off

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

dismas posted:

:3: very sweet that your lil buddy checked on you

Dude can read faces like crazy, he's a little empath so I have to be careful about what I put out there!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Squats posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for decent waterproof mattress covers and pillow protectors? About to upgrade our 3 year old to a twin bed, but he’s prone to vomiting fits when he’s sick (which, due to preschool, is always). Preferably something soft that doesn’t make crinkly sounds.

These are good poo poo, despite the low price. Ours have stood up to vomit as well as pee, and have not started leaking despite getting washed a few times.

(Sort out which size you need, they have all sorts.)
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lenast-waterproof-mattress-protector-white-90445790/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lenast-waterproof-mattress-protector-40448296/

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Dirty Needles posted:

Hand food and mouth is back. Fuuuuuuck off, least this time maybe all the skin on my hands won't fall off

About three weeks after my toddler had it, all his toenails fell off. HFM is a horrible virus. Good luck.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
My 3.5yo likes to help me with little DIY projects/repairs around the house. Mostly that means he carries around the tools and plays with the flashlight or whatever while I work, but he does genuinely enjoy helping put screws in or whatever. We've got the holiday break coming and I'd love to have some building projects we can do to pass the time, but I'm having a real parenting-brain-block on coming up with ideas. Especially stuff that'll be fun for him, not dangerous, and not too time consuming given his hummingbird-esque attention span. It'd be ideal to make stuff that'd "amplify" the toys he's already got, so build something he can use with hotwheels or magnet tiles or play dough or whatever. Anybody got some ideas or sites/links to check out? I know there are those maker kits but the end products seem kinda "meh"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

devmd01 posted:

I think we are starting to finally get to the part of parenting where I am actually feeling like I’ve accomplished something instead of just a daily slog.

They (9,6,6) were watching Saturday morning TV, and one of the boys said something negative about girls that I didn’t overhear, I suspect the typical “girls are icky” stupidity that goes around.

The other two both immediately called him out on it, basically going “not cool, you have a sister and a mom.”

It’s those moments that make it worthwhile, knowing that we’re doing at least something right.

It’s an eternal battle against societal prejudices.

I’m in year 2 of my fight to convince my 5 year old daughter that boys have eyelashes. Because I guess in most cartoons one of the markers for “this is a girl animal, this is a boy animal” is eyelashes.

Nevermind that I, a boy, have eyelashes. She will argue with me that I don’t. Because I’m a boy. And boys don’t have eyelashes.

It was pretty funny when in front of my gay sister, which probably prompted the question, she (the 5 year old) asked if it would be weird if she married a girl when she was older. I said no, it wouldn’t be weird. She said that’s fine, she probably would, as long as she could also have a boyfriend.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Rooster Brooster posted:

My 3.5yo likes to help me with little DIY projects/repairs around the house. Mostly that means he carries around the tools and plays with the flashlight or whatever while I work, but he does genuinely enjoy helping put screws in or whatever. We've got the holiday break coming and I'd love to have some building projects we can do to pass the time, but I'm having a real parenting-brain-block on coming up with ideas. Especially stuff that'll be fun for him, not dangerous, and not too time consuming given his hummingbird-esque attention span. It'd be ideal to make stuff that'd "amplify" the toys he's already got, so build something he can use with hotwheels or magnet tiles or play dough or whatever. Anybody got some ideas or sites/links to check out? I know there are those maker kits but the end products seem kinda "meh"

We have a Melissa and Doug workbench, which itself needs to be built, and then it has screw holes and such that he can play with: https://www.melissaanddoug.com/products/wooden-project-solid-wood-workbench

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s an eternal battle against societal prejudices.

I’m in year 2 of my fight to convince my 5 year old daughter that boys have eyelashes. Because I guess in most cartoons one of the markers for “this is a girl animal, this is a boy animal” is eyelashes.

Nevermind that I, a boy, have eyelashes. She will argue with me that I don’t. Because I’m a boy. And boys don’t have eyelashes.

It was pretty funny when in front of my gay sister, which probably prompted the question, she (the 5 year old) asked if it would be weird if she married a girl when she was older. I said no, it wouldn’t be weird. She said that’s fine, she probably would, as long as she could also have a boyfriend.

Someone told me that my son's pretty eyelashes are wasted on him because he's a boy, so I guess it's a thing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Someone told me that my son's pretty eyelashes are wasted on him because he's a boy, so I guess it's a thing.

I fell in love with my husband partly due to his gorgeous long lashes.
…then he got alopecia and they all fell out :negative:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I, a dude, am very vain about my eyes and eyelashes because they're my best physical feature dammit and I like having beautiful eyes. My daughter got my eyes, which is about the best possible thing she could've gotten from me so that worked out (her mom's eyes are also beautiful but so is the rest of her and I'm working with what I've got).

The absolute best thing that has happened regarding that was me + toddler walking on a sidewalk running into a gay couple and one guy going "You're just ADORABLE and your eyes are GORGEOUS! And HERE'S DAD! YOU HAVE DAD'S EYES!"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I also have notably long eyelashes, longer than my wife’s, which makes the whole thing even more mind boggling

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Muir posted:

We have a Melissa and Doug workbench, which itself needs to be built, and then it has screw holes and such that he can play with: https://www.melissaanddoug.com/products/wooden-project-solid-wood-workbench

Yeah we have the smaller version -- the toolbox -- with a lot of the same stuff. Our kid just turned three, so he's mostly using it more for roleplay than actually putting it together, but It's good.

Kiddo also loves watching YouTube videos (with supervision) of people fixing things, which is great.

I'm not sure what I'll do for the next step though. It looks like Meccano is still a thing. There are also various playsets put out by real toolmakers (e.g. Stanley) that let them bolt together trucks and things, but I get the impression that the quality isn't that great.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rooster Brooster posted:

This doesn't answer your question in the slightest but on the first Saturday morning of every month, Home Depot does a kids workshop where they give you one of those kits to do in store, completely free. Though with COVID they might just send it home with you now, I don't know. It's a nice way to spend a weekend morning if Mommy needs some peace.

I know you said no kits but I like them since you don't have to worry about the finished product. Let him scratch it the gently caress up with a screw driver and paint it like a psycho, I don't care it's not my house. Yeah the end result is crap but the end result isn't the point. At this age the activity is the part they care about

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't take my advice because I have like 5 bird houses hanging around the house.

Mysteriously the one we put outside never has any birds in it. We haven't figured out why yet. (It has no bird feed in it)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Renegret posted:

This doesn't answer your question in the slightest but on the first Saturday morning of every month, Home Depot does a kids workshop where they give you one of those kits to do in store, completely free. Though with COVID they might just send it home with you now, I don't know. It's a nice way to spend a weekend morning if Mommy needs some peace.

Oh yeah it looks like they're still doing these.

Pre-registration is a bit weird (fills up almost immediately), but it sounds like you can also just show up and they'll likely have space?

They also ask you to certify that your kid is in the 5-12 age range (for online registration), but lots of people talk about taking their three-year-olds and nobody asking the age.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I'm participating in a "gorgeous eyelashes languishing on my male face" derail, but my wife has complimented my eyelashes many times. But she thinks the little guy is going to grow to defeat me in this arena.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

Don't take my advice because I have like 5 bird houses hanging around the house.

Mysteriously the one we put outside never has any birds in it. We haven't figured out why yet. (It has no bird feed in it)

I don’t think they’d need bird food in their house, that’s what bird feeders are for.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We got COVID - at first it seemed like a flu and we had a negative test, but after a few days I showed a positive result. It’s clear our 5 month boy has it too. Luckily, even though we are halfway through, it seems he has mild symptoms with some cough, sneezing and rubbing his eyes. Saturation, pulse and temperature are normal. Still hoping it doesn’t get worst.

At 5 months we are at this lovely point where we’re a month away from being able to vax against COVID, although what I understand is this current strain is non -lethal but also immune.

Doctors told us to watch the breathing and to come in for a breathing test. Breathing problems may be indicated by a collapsed tummy, in case someone finds this useful.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rooster Brooster posted:

https://www.amazon.com/BRIO-Builder...ps%2C160&sr=8-1

We inherited some ancient parts from this series, and they're great!
The screws and nuts are "real" (plastic) and everything works the way real stuff does, only it's wood and plastic. You can build stuff together with the kid, like vehicles or buildings or whatever you fancy.

The pieces seem to last forever, too. Ours are from the early 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Second baby arrived yesterday morning and everybody is doing well :toot: we're going home in a couple hours probably. Her big sister (2 yo) has visited and did not have the negative reaction I was dreading, so yay