Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

quote:

Lions Clubs International, is an international service organization established in 1917 in Chicago, Illinois, by Melvin Jones.[2] The organization is currently headquartered in Oak Brook, IL. As of January 2020, it had over 46,000 local clubs and more than 1.4 million members (including the youth wing Leo) in more than 200 countries and geographic areas around the world.[3]

But I think this is a Classic Nancy rear end joke where Jarla had the punchline in mind and then concocted a specific scenario to get there more than a joke about the Lions Club specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You know, I try not to rag on the art in Rae the Doe because it seems to be coming from a nice earnest place, but drawing Shrek with generic triangular furry ears and then drawing his ogre ears hanging off them like weird little dongles goes past "this art isn't very good" and into active perversity

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:sbahj:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way Demons of Baseball manages to make even praying for a ball to keep rolling so that it can foul Copper Ma suitably tense is really drat good drama. And it's hilarious that the second they've pulled through, Planck smugs it up and is all "That's right, you loving loser, god loves us - just like how your wife loves me!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Copper Ma, the most owned man in the world

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Demons of Baseball is so good

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 11, 1960)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bungerbread

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/10/03

Brenda Starr 3/24-26/52

Smokey Stover 6/22/58

Everyday Movies 1/15/37

"We did fine -- we only came out three hundred dollars behind."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/21-23/42

Finally, the resolution of the Old Guy with Weed Killer Stick cliffhanger!

Closer Than We Think 6/22/58

"And fry the commies like ants with a magnifying glass!"

Weather satellites we have, but orbital solar mirrors are one of those ideas that never seem to quite go away.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

New Flash Gordon

2023-12-09

2023-12-10

Using the ship as the Sunday POV character is inspired. Just think about the effort of plotting your story so you'll always have a variety of POV characters available at the right point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The kind of thing that's just begging for an anti-Israel/anti-Zionist edit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That is not a European Robin. I think even the linework is of an American Robin, but the colourist absolutely got it wrong.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is not a European Robin. I think even the linework is of an American Robin, but the colourist absolutely got it wrong.

Yes, thank you, that was driving me crazy. That's absolutely drawn as an American robin and the colorist followed suit. Jules couldn't even be bothered to google the correct bird in the nature strip.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah European robins are little fluff balls with sticks sticking out of them. They barely resemble birds!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Dudes Rock.

Dudes also commit homicide on the baseball field.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball
God of Fouling, Copper Ma

Holy shiiiit

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 11, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think 6/22/58

"And fry the commies like ants with a magnifying glass!"

Weather satellites we have, but orbital solar mirrors are one of those ideas that never seem to quite go away.

30 years ago, an experimental 20-meter mirror successfully illuminated a 5 km-wide spot on the ground with about half the brightness of a full moon. :science:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Okay, I love the line "it's like high school with teeth."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

this guy's wildly insecure and also missed the red flags of this weirdo dude who he thinks is dating the lady but was really interested in the teenage daughter

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Forest Diner is the one 10 miles away. We don't know how far away the Forestville Diner is, or if the speed limit is 20 mph the whole way there, or if Rodney has an accurate sense of time.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr

"How sad. Oh, well." :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Santa's Victory Christmas (December 10, 1942)

Mutts makes with the happy ending.

Sally Forth...um...doesn't.

I'm holding out hope that Ces and Jim got an early start on the Xmas story because this is going somewhere different.

Skippy (December 3, 1935)

Peanuts (December 13, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (May 2-4, 1935)

Thimble Theater (July 15, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 12-14, 1943)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've just started following Sally Forth just to be infuriated by the current storyline. The mom's not here to knock Jackie down. The mom didn't even want to be here and that is the only thing she's been complaining about!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shugojin posted:

this guy's wildly insecure and also missed the red flags of this weirdo dude who he thinks is dating the lady but was really interested in the teenage daughter

She's 20, not a teenager. Still weird if he's old enough that Keith thinks he's dating Kitty, but it's not like she's a child.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Caphi posted:

I've just started following Sally Forth just to be infuriated by the current storyline. The mom's not here to knock Jackie down. The mom didn't even want to be here and that is the only thing she's been complaining about!

being a catty old bitch that hates everyone is all the mom does. yes sally and sister should have left her to rot in the nursing home until the joyous day of her death but i can't blame them for trying to be a family

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:vince:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Raskolnikov38 posted:

being a catty old bitch that hates everyone is all the mom does. yes sally and sister should have left her to rot in the nursing home until the joyous day of her death but i can't blame them for trying to be a family

It’s not easy to cut blood out of your life and your mom? Seriously that would be pretty hard. Currently we are mentally preparing ourselves to ignore any desire to talk to my grandfather because he’s become a horrible rear end in a top hat who stubbornly refuses to accept forgiveness and would prefer to deny his past actions against all his children and grandchildren (beatings not sex stuff and not even severe beatings).

However this comic gets pretty repetitive with it and I’d prefer if they just went back to werewolve themed band stuff or starwars holiday jokes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The mom is an awful old battle axe but at this point she's self sufficient and has told her daughters twice that she'd rather attend her community gatherings over the family ones but they insisted on carting her over to make them miserable. So everybody sucks and we can only hope the explosion is enough to achieve the desired by both sides severing. Will Sally's Mom ever have that epiphany and realize she was wrong? Or hell, Sally herself? Don't count on it but we're well past the point where we never want to see these characters together in panel again.

It's fine drama but author, please, poo poo or get off the pot!

Jucika "432 - Jucika And The Contagious Example"

"433 - Jucika And Her Husband At The Fair"

Kinky!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Whether or not Mom should have been brought to the party, she's there, and she's chosen to vent her feelings with lovely below the belt attacks on Jackie and her shop. We've seen Jackie struggle to keep this shop afloat so for mom to sit there and do catty digs sucks, even if Sally/Jackie were wrong to bring her there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They should have let her stay at the drat home! Has she EVER been pleasant to be around, at all, ever?

Ted's mom's new bf, the cool dude, should intervene, tell both sides why they suck, and take the kids and Ted's mom out for some kickass hot chocolate and Ralph can tag along if he wants.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Cowslips Warren posted:

They should have let her stay at the drat home! Has she EVER been pleasant to be around, at all, ever?

She seems to pleasant towards Hillary, they're even kinda close, which complicates things for Sally and Ted

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

If it was in the trash can it's obviously not the right answer key, if it was the one he was using for the test, he'd use it for grading next week. A storyline so obvious it's not even worth telling?

Curtis

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Like i'd still be unahppy that we've went to that well regardless, but god drat it we *just* had Uncomfortable Forth Family Holiday for Thanlsgivimg and we're right back there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

I was reading through the Fantagraphics Popeye Sunday collections and laughed out loud at this panel, both because it's funny on its own merits and because of how much Segar's "guy doesn't actually know how to fight" pose reminded me of that Milholland panel with the terrible lines of action

Crab Dad posted:

Is that Ham?

garfield hentai posted:

That's Eggy, a bit character who shows up a few times - one of Olive Oyl's suitors, and fighter extraordinaire! The Sundays are a lot of fun and while there are some arcs they tend to be more gag-oriented than the dailies.

This post made me think about how one of the issues with Randy's Popeye is the overly lovey-dovey monogamy. In the original strips, as we see, Olive will flirt with guys to try and make Popeye jealous, and Popeye will also contemplate having emotional affairs with the ocean. The point being, that guys aren't treated as bad people for expressing romantic interest in Olive, since this is an important part of the dynamic.

And yeah, I thought this was Ham at first too for that same reason, since it's how he's being used in Randy's Popeye. And literally two panels of Eggy here are funnier than all of the Ham stuff put together in Randy's Popeye. In both cases the joke is just that the antagonist just being a bad person who sucks at fighting, but there's actual energy in these panels that's just incredible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

In both cases the joke is just that the antagonist just being a bad person who sucks at fighting, but there's actual energy in these panels that's just incredible.

Yeah, it sells an understanding of the personality of the characters. Popeye is willing to go along with the guy to help him out but is comically bad at throwing a fight so even his "getting beat up" stance sucks, but not due to lack of effort from the artist. Same as how Eggy's fighting stance is awful, yet not awfully drawn. I believe the old adage is that you have to have genuine talent to imitate something poorly and give it any charm. The difference between reading Tails Gets Trolled and say... Ctrl Alt Delete.

I think something else that really helps is the back and forth between other side characters and background characters is much better. People react to the shenanigans and it helps sell them in that second Eggy panel. A lot of the mediocre modern strips do strictly 1 on 1 conversations and anybody who isn't talking ceases to exist until addressed.

The more I think about it the more I recognize how often this happens in good strips. Valiant and Demons of Baseball would never shortchange you on the reactions of those nearby the panel happenings!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"I want to learn the ways of men, let me sail with Boltar".

drat, kid. Learn how to count before you start your PhD.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Selachian posted:

Another variant is about artificial shade satellites (called space sunshades or sunshields), that do the opposite thing: reduce solar exposition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_sunshade

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Mandrake

So we're in for A Dustin Christmas Carol? Let me guess, the Ghost of Christmas Past shows him how happy his parents were when he was away at college, the Ghost of Christmas Present shows how hard they work to support his worthless rear end, and the Ghost of Christmas Future shows a fat, graying, 40-something Dustin still sponging off his parents.

Mawitaan? Crossover incoming!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Everyone is projecting their mommy issues onto Sally Forth, especially the author.