Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast will rise again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kerrzhe posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/zelda-pr...of-the-kingdom/

we're never getting another proper zelda game :(

Suddenly extra glad TotK didn't win game of the year

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sega being a confederation of several fiefdoms at the time, imagine Sony being part of that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

That reminds me, how’s Abandoned doing these days? :haw:

From the Wikipedia page on the game:

quote:

On June 3, 2022, GameSpot published an investigative report which accused Kahraman of "toxic" activities on a private chat room revolving around the game, in which he revealed scant development information but attempted a romantic advance on one of his artists, who later left the group, allowed a 12-year-old to insult other members with no consequences, and forced others to play Rainbow Six Siege with him. Leaked development assets also had a Silent Hill 5 logo on them, indicating that he sought to trick people into believing Abandoned was part of the Silent Hill series. Others close to Kahraman claimed that little to nothing of the game exists, with the game shifting genres numerous times, and that even the playable prologue was unlikely to be finished, making it largely a hoax.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Lies of P gave me a Rudolph nose, reindeer antlers and a Santa cap for the holidays. How cute!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mario beat Sonic because Mario games started out for kids and then evolved into games that you could play with your kids, while Sonic games started out for kids and then evolved into games for adults who are mentally still kids

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

I'd be fine if they just added back in real, designed, visually distinct dungeons. TOTK was definitely better than BOTW about it, but still felt off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

"proper" zelda is open-world

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zelda needs guns

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Once again I don't know why they couldn't do both, leave the 3D as BOTW style open world games while leave the 2D games as the older school zeldas

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
We had twenty years of games like OoT. At this rate we'll have 4 BotW clones, then they'll move onto something else.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Kerrzhe posted:

BotW outsold every previous Zelda combined. this was obvious

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I really want is a Kirby game that is open world like Tears of the Kingdom.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lmao has anyone posted this already?

https://www.fntastic.com/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how that game Unrecord https://store.steampowered.com/app/2381520/Unrecord/ is coming along in development. I expect this to be the next the Day Before.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's something incredibly shady about studio going out of business a week after the release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was Early Access, so the game was not even actually out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tactical shooter seen through a cop's body cam seems like it has its own set of problems and reasons to not release.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

There's something incredibly shady about studio going out of business a week after the release.
the 50% refund rate on steam probably didnt help

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kerrzhe posted:

"Yes, the only possible reason that anyone would want to play something other than the latest kind of game designed by ~*me*~ is obviously misguided, cheap nostalgia and nothing else. It''s just that people want what they don't currently have, not because anything could possibly be better than my idea, how silly."

Yeah it couldn't possibly be that BotW and TotK were so wildly divergent from what a Zelda game is that they might as well have been their own entirely unique series of games that just so happened to have the Zelda IP stretched over their mechanics, and that people might actually prefer an actual Zelda game with unique dungeons that unlock unique, persistent items and abilities, as opposed to a game about an empty open world, centered around a single gimmick, with like 8 different enemy types in the entire 200+ hour game.

What a narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 11, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

i'm assuming they owed a lot of money to one or more entities and put it out on steam solely so they could cash out as much as they could and dip before too many refunds came in

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Personally, I'm ready for the 20th century, rural-suburban Zelda-on-bikes concept now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

"Yes, the only possible reason that anyone would want to play something other than the latest kind of game designed by ~*me*~ is obviously misguided, cheap nostalgia and nothing else. It''s just that people want what they don't currently have, not because anything could possibly be better than my idea, how silly."

Yeah it couldn't possibly be that BotW and TotK were so wildly divergent from what a Zelda game is that they might as well have been their own entirely unique series of games that just so happened to have the Zelda IP stretched over their mechanics, and that people might actually prefer an actual Zelda game with unique dungeons that unlock unique, persistent items and abilities, as opposed to a game about an empty open world, centered around a single gimmick, with like 8 different enemy types in the entire 200+ hour game.

BOTW and TOTK are the best selling and second best selling Zelda games of all time. They’re gonna make the games that the majority wants

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

He’s worked on the series going as far back as ocarina of time, settle down goon lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Steve Yun posted:

BOTW and TOTK are the best selling and second best selling Zelda games of all time. They’re gonna make the games that the majority wants

Why not... make both?

We can have "classic" style Zelda games while still making the bad BOTW style games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Developers owe you nothing except the things you've already paid them for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Why not... make both?

We can have "classic" style Zelda games while still making the bad BOTW style games.

This was my thought too, just go back and forth.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

the guy who said that directed most of the old 3D zeldas and didn't work on BotW/TotK beyond being series producer OP

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Why not... make both?

Because the other type takes time, effort and money and they don't want to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Links Awakening remake came out between Breath and Tears, so that’s not out of the question

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

GreatGreen posted:

Don't sign you're posts lmfao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why make both when they can spend more time on the thing that makes more money and more people happy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zelda should be first-person

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

link should be able to talk and say the gently caress word

mystes
May 31, 2006

The next zelda game should be mario maker but for zelda II

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

30 years of this tired franchise and you still can't play as Zelda

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brand loyalty is not a virtue, it is an anxiety disorder foisted upon you by marketing executives. Discard your parasocial relationships with corporations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

link should be able to talk and say the gently caress word

Hard R Zelda

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

they'll probably only return to the old formula if they believe that the new formula is starting to run into diminishing returns, in much the same way that BotW was conceptualized out of skyward sword having a feeling of a series that was mostly spinning its wheels by that point

sometimes you just get big paradigm shifts in long-running game franchises, like how there's never going to be another linear castlevania ever again because SotN's popularity so thoroughly eclipsed anything that came before and proved to be almost endlessly replicable if you tweaked it enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this is what the nintendo guys are looking at when deciding what to do next with zelda