Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dogs in cars are pretty much unsafe at any speed because neither is made for the other. Even the clip in ones aren't up to snuff and will just snap in a collision and eject your best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

HootTheOwl posted:

Dogs in cars are pretty much unsafe at any speed because neither is made for the other. Even the clip in ones aren't up to snuff and will just snap in a collision and eject your best friend.

Not an endorsement because I don't have one BUT my buddy did a deep dive on dog harnesses because of how often he had to transport them and apparently really liked https://optimusgear.com/ because of how they test them. Might just be Canada though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Not an endorsement because I don't have one BUT my buddy did a deep dive on dog harnesses because of how often he had to transport them and apparently really liked https://optimusgear.com/ because of how they test them. Might just be Canada though.

This one will stop your dog from being a missile, but will still whip them around because it holds them to the seatbelt, but not in place.
So this might be the safest for you, but still will not really protect your buddy.
Ironically the "safest" thing for a dog in a crash is full ejection from the vehicle.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, ultimately the best thing to do is defensive driving as much as possible and taking into account their momentum when braking/cornering.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Rand Brittain posted:

Then he spent a lot of time yelling at us because Campion isn't fixed, which is technically against the park rules. As a golden, I'm told he shouldn't be fixed until he's two years old (he is now six months old). He told us the vet was wrong about this.
Sorry to be a downer but you really shouldn't take your intact male dog to dog parks until he's neutered. He is now old enough to get an unspayed dog pregnant. Hopefully there aren't unspayed female dogs at the dog park either, but the rules exist for a reason and apply to you too.

PS dog parks are terrible for dogs in the long run 95% of the time, see also: "my dog was pinned today by some rear end in a top hat's dog"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also neutered males can be aggressive and mean to unneutered males and that can start trouble that wouldn't otherwise have started.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got a new puppy named Oliver and I wanna take him with me places. For car safety what are actual things that are rated for safety I can get for him to ride in the car with? A lot of the stuff I’m finding just seems to be called safety booster seats without any actual safety being part of their design

There are crash tested harnesses but my dog always rides in a crate for safety. There are crash tested crates but they’re $$$$ so I use a ruffland, which hasn’t been fully crash tested but I’ve seen enough of them come out of terrible accidents intact that I feel like they’re a good option for my budget. Most dog sport folks I know travel with rufflands. Just avoid the wire or clam shell style crates if you’re specifically looking for crash safety.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Rand Brittain posted:

I got into an argument with an rear end in a top hat at the park the other day (or rather, my trainer, who was there with me did) after his dog pinned mine and he yelled at us for touching his dog and insisted that we remove his dog from my dog without touching his dog.

Then he spent a lot of time yelling at us because Campion isn't fixed, which is technically against the park rules. As a golden, I'm told he shouldn't be fixed until he's two years old (he is now six months old). He told us the vet was wrong about this.

I'm happy writing that guy off, but I do worry about what the year-and-a-half long gap before Campion can be neutered is going to mean for us in practice.

Welcome to intact dog life. As has been said a lot of neutered males really have it out for intact ones and the ones with balls always get the blame. I wouldn’t take any intact dog to a dog park or any place with a lot of loose dogs (at least in the US where spay/neuter is pushed so hard). Set up play dates with dogs you know, take classes, participate in fun sports, go on hikes places and just ignore people’s feelings about your dog’s reproductive bits. Goldens are such cancer factories I applaud your dedication to keeping him intact despite the many uneducated folks out there.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

:3:

Thank you for the advice everybody, Newton has ventured out of his crate a couple times for treats and seems to be more motivated by them after trying to do everything I can to reduce stress. Going out is stressful for him so I’ll do the bare minimum until he loosens up a bit. He also decided that he likes cheese now.

Also an important fact that I forgot to mention is that his ears are crooked:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

There are crash tested harnesses but my dog always rides in a crate for safety. There are crash tested crates but they’re $$$$ so I use a ruffland, which hasn’t been fully crash tested but I’ve seen enough of them come out of terrible accidents intact that I feel like they’re a good option for my budget. Most dog sport folks I know travel with rufflands. Just avoid the wire or clam shell style crates if you’re specifically looking for crash safety.

The double variocage is quite expensive but it is a nice setup with 2 dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Engineer Lenk posted:

The double variocage is quite expensive but it is a nice setup with 2 dogs.

Oh yeah, a vario is the dream but not on a dog trainer budget lol. Some day though :allears:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Maybe worth spending a night or two on the floor beside newton. I spent a whole 2 weeks with Freya in the living room when we got her home. But she was only 8 weeks old and had a lot to adjust two. She's literally inseparable from me now..

RE intact dogs, I had a DRAG a dog off Freja the other day because I was taking her for a short walk and toilet break while in season, on the lead I should add and some guy has his non fixed dog, off lead and was around the corner and a good 2 mins away before he turned up and apologised.

Don't be there guy because I almost yeeted his loving dog into the river, he also Injured Freja while trying to mount her and I was dragging him off and now she has a small wound that's healing by her bitch bits. I must had dragged him off her a good 3-4 times before the guy showed up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pochi absolutely loved her crate when she first came home. Put herself to bed and spent a lot of time in it. 3/3/3 is absolutely true for stuff like this. It took her a few weeks to warm up to roaming the house, and a few months to be comfortable sleeping in our bed at night. Now she treats our bed like her bed, she sleeps in it all day while we work in the other room.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok thanks for the advice everybody, Newton made big progress today.

A couple of sessions of tempting him all the way out with treats got easier and easier. On the last session I had this morning, he stood and enjoyed pets for about ten minutes after the last treat before finally going back inside.

For his second walk, I took the top off the crate and moved it into the hallway with him in it. I went to the kitchen to get his leash and he jumped out of the crate and came to the kitchen! Normally I had to get the crate all the way down the hall and into the kitchen for him to come out.

He still has his issues going back inside, I’m not sure what’s scaring him but he’s getting closer to the stairs before locking up.

Once we got inside he bee lined for his crate, then after cooling off for a minute came out to eat his kibble which I dressed up with some oil from a can of tuna because he’s such a good boy.

Resting after a hard day of eating treats and going in and out of a crate:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What a good, brave dog!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
He's probably reluctant to go back inside the house just because it's strange and he hasn't started to recognize it as "Home" yet. I don't think that's a big deal, it will probably fix itself as you just habituate him to going in and out and what your house looks and smells like.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
That's such great progress, what a good boy.

Possibly a ridiculous suggestion, but our brave little husky is afraid of stairs. She's getting better but larger staircases require a good bit of duck jerky for her to tackle them.

That's probably not it but just tossing it out there as a possibility.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We've had our dog for almost 4 months now and she still absolutely refuses to walk over the threshold of the back door and demands to be picked up every time. She loves the house, she loves the backyard, she is terrified of the boundary between them :shrug: The shelter warned us that rescues often struggle with doors and she doesn't love them in general but for whatever reason that door in particular is the worst.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the holy poopacy posted:

We've had our dog for almost 4 months now and she still absolutely refuses to walk over the threshold of the back door and demands to be picked up every time. She loves the house, she loves the backyard, she is terrified of the boundary between them :shrug: The shelter warned us that rescues often struggle with doors and she doesn't love them in general but for whatever reason that door in particular is the worst.

Mine still has issues with coming into the kitchen... where the food is, sometimes she just balks at the kitchen threshold.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks for all the info re: car safety options. As payment here is my new boy, Oliver. He’s a rescue down from Georgia who needed a blood transfusion when found from the amount of blood loss he had from tick and fleas and the fact that he was starving. He’s about six months old.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Stairs took about 3 weeks for Pochi because we have steep stairs in our townhouse. I just worked with her every day, what really got her was just sitting at the top of the stairs dropping treats down, and not pressuring her. Once she got it she went crazy with stairs and she loves running up and down now

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton knows stairs pretty well. I think he is comfortable in the backyard and comfortable in his crate, but the stairs, deck, and kitchen are scary. He had less difficulty before because everything was equally scary.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the cattledog is an ancient person of the earth

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
:siren:Newton made it back across the yard, up the stairs, and inside without being carried:siren:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

i own every Bionicle posted:

:siren:Newton made it back across the yard, up the stairs, and inside without being carried:siren:

Yay

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Sorry about all the Newton chat but this morning with lots of encouragement and crouching (my knees hurt now) Newton made it out of his crate, to the kitchen, and outside without me moving the crate! And when we got outside he ran to his favorite spot and kind of bounced around a little in a way that might have been…playful? It was awesome.

Also need to vent. Two days after getting him home a friend called me and explained that the first thing he did when he got his rescue dog was immediately take him everywhere while he enjoyed his favorite hobbies and forced the dog to hang out with him, and that I need to get rid of Newton’s crate because he’s such a beautiful dog and I can’t let him sit in a crate all day. In his defense his dog has turned out great but he’s also much bolder, was not crate trained, and a small enough breed to be able to catch if he got spooked. I texted a group including him that Newton was getting curious enough to poke his head out and explore my room a bit and he thought I was baiting him by suggesting that I still let Newton rest in his crate. Just kind of sent me after stressing out that I had been doing things the right way.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

alg posted:

Stairs took about 3 weeks for Pochi because we have steep stairs in our townhouse. I just worked with her every day, what really got her was just sitting at the top of the stairs dropping treats down, and not pressuring her. Once she got it she went crazy with stairs and she loves running up and down now

Freja was the same. We love in a high rise so it took awhile for her to get use to them, same for the elevator.

She loves both now. Sometimes she wants to just run up and down stairs for 5 mins so I take her up 5 floors then she's knackered but loves the elevator ride back.. :shobon:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
RE newton, good work! Keep posting and sharing updates as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in his progress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sorry about all the Newton chat but this morning with lots of encouragement and crouching (my knees hurt now) Newton made it out of his crate, to the kitchen, and outside without me moving the crate! And when we got outside he ran to his favorite spot and kind of bounced around a little in a way that might have been…playful? It was awesome.

Also need to vent. Two days after getting him home a friend called me and explained that the first thing he did when he got his rescue dog was immediately take him everywhere while he enjoyed his favorite hobbies and forced the dog to hang out with him, and that I need to get rid of Newton’s crate because he’s such a beautiful dog and I can’t let him sit in a crate all day. In his defense his dog has turned out great but he’s also much bolder, was not crate trained, and a small enough breed to be able to catch if he got spooked. I texted a group including him that Newton was getting curious enough to poke his head out and explore my room a bit and he thought I was baiting him by suggesting that I still let Newton rest in his crate. Just kind of sent me after stressing out that I had been doing things the right way.

You're doing things right, sorry about your friend being a jerk. A lot of people think crates are some kind of dog jail, instead of a comforting, safe den.

And I'm glad that Newton is continuing to gain confidence! You go, little buddy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're doing things right, sorry about your friend being a jerk. A lot of people think crates are some kind of dog jail, instead of a comforting, safe den.

And I'm glad that Newton is continuing to gain confidence! You go, little buddy.

Yeah used correctly, a crate is just a dog's personal space. It's a problem if he shows no sign of ever leaving but that's obviously not the case with Newton, you're doing fine.

Also, what's appropriate for a newly arrived dog is going to vary depending on each dog's history - it's possible for there to be a confident dog who will happily explore and not want the safety of the crate, but that's not the dog you have. You're doing the right thing by letting him have his own space.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If newton didn't have his create, he;d find something else to hide under.
Dogs like personal space, dens, and caves

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks all.

Newton is happy in his crate, getting better in my room and the hallway, and in one corner of the yard where there is a young pine tree he can stand under to be safe from aerial attack. His leash manners are getting better. How long should I wait before taking him for a little walk down the block? I’ve got good sidewalks but it’s medium-busy neighborhood. Wait until he is comfortable in the whole yard, then try the front yard, then go from there?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you are doing completely fine and your friend can do what they like with their own dog. and don't be sorry about posting about your new dog, that's what the thread is for!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 14, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thanks all.

Newton is happy in his crate, getting better in my room and the hallway, and in one corner of the yard where there is a young pine tree he can stand under to be safe from aerial attack. His leash manners are getting better. How long should I wait before taking him for a little walk down the block? I’ve got good sidewalks but it’s medium-busy neighborhood. Wait until he is comfortable in the whole yard, then try the front yard, then go from there?

If you trust yourself to yank him away I'd try and go immediately.
If he doesn't want to be doesn't want to. Maybe practice heels?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton update: after bringing him to his favorite spot in the yard this evening, after what must have been a particularly satisfying dump, he sprinted to a spot under his favorite tree, and full of energy from the relief of said dump, did a play-bow and small woof the next time I took a step. We did it again and again until he was out of woofs. He’s still got his tail down and he’ll only zoom around in the small area he’s comfortable with, not the whole yard. But he can’t resist playing until he burns off a little energy and remembers that he’s still nervous.

By walking in the least scary path closest to the fence, I got him to follow me back to the stairs and up to the door by crouching and calling him over every ten feet or so. Thrilled at his progress, we went down and did it again, then again. Eventually he was worn out and shut down under his security tree and refused to follow me back. Oops, sorry buddy. I picked him up and carried him past the scary part of the yard…once I get him close enough to the base of the stairs he goes up and inside.

Also forgot to mention that Oliver is an adorable pup. Like, he’s the platonic ideal of a cute dog. Textbook.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 15, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think Newton is slowly understanding the gravity of what it means to be a good boy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really sounds like you're a great match for each other, that's lucky :unsmith:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HootTheOwl posted:

I think Newton is slowly understanding the gravity of what it means to be a good boy

:bravo:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

newton rules, oliver rules, all the dogs are fantastic each and every one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Can we all send messages out into the universe for my dog to get sick of raising her puppies next week so she comes home before christmas