Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Snooze Cruise posted:

anyway i just finished the inheritance quest and this game is good, some might even say, goat'd
thank you for the profit factor, mysterious heir

I gave it to the kid after sparing her dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

i was already being being nice letting the dad live, those fuckers tried to kill me the money is mine 🥰

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did the same after game kept soft freezing on one guys turn if you opt to let the servitor kill then

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

What spells do you use on cassia besides the ones that make people move?

Don't take her combat stuff outside of the movement/eye stuff. Focus on the buffing allies stuff with the buff staff. And the stuff that gives her xyz per Navigator traits chosen.

She can currently give multiple party members 60+ in every stat, and can give out 6 free turns a combat encounter. And she can poo poo out like 3-4 lidless eyes that heavily debuff basically every enemy. Which is great news because my MC is also an officer and can give out free turns like candy, so they basically just keep giving each other free turns/giving free turns to Argenta/Pascal.

Basically every single combat encounter is me letting the enemy do their thing, and then completely wiping them all out before they can do anything else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

anyway i just finished the inheritance quest and this game is good, some might even say, goat'd
thank you for the profit factor, mysterious heir

I remember there's a way to get sent into some trapped and have to fight your way back, but when I tried a second time I either didn't find those triggers or failed the skill checks, so the only options after talking to everyone were to just decide who gets the money and leave.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Press The Advantage + Lidless Stare = ???

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Press The Advantage + Lidless Stare = ???

tbh Press the Advantage + anything is extremely good. Master Tactician rules.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it seems pretty good, but especially so when you have an ability that auto-hits everything in LOS lol. My main character is also an Officer, but I picked the Archetype that lets me designate 3 'zones' on the map (it's lame), wish I just doubled up on this... Although my combat stats are poo poo so I guess I wouldn't be able to hit anything anyways

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Whole lotta xenoheresy going on itt

Press the Advantage is what I currently save for when my trader needs to delete something herself because her underlings have failed. Normally I'm tossing out Linchpin to continue supercharging the momentum engine. It was very frustrating in a warp encounter to be constantly eating momentum loss from manifestation. It didn't stop me, but it did mean it took multiple turns for Argenta to proc Steady Superiority rather than one turn.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol the "excess damage from your psychic power rolls over to the next closest enemy" is a sweet perk

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kobal2 posted:

Oh come on, you can say "orc", the Tolkien estate is not that hung up o

:rip: to this poster and their family

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my loving GOD! The encounter in the Starport sewers with the Herald was so loving cool.
The gimmick of the encounter is really neat and the audio design there is amazing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How are ppl building warriors? I was thinking of having my warrior RT as a vanguard taunt bot and building Abelard as a chaff sweeper. I'd let most of my single target dammy be ranged

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Generally with the turn based structure grid that can actually care about elevation encounter design has been made a lot more interesting.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Buschmaki posted:

How are ppl building warriors? I was thinking of having my warrior RT as a vanguard taunt bot and building Abelard as a chaff sweeper. I'd let most of my single target dammy be ranged

I did the pyro psyker melee warrior and its great fun

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It might be skill issue, but I got totally wrecked by rebels on Rykad Minoris and I think that game should either make it more clear that Rykad Minoris is not supposed to be the first place you visit or warn us that we are not going to be able to go back for some time with, idk, warning that there are hostile AA guns on surface.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: It was the first place I went

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So in the first act, how differently do things play out if you do the three events (nav station, prison planet, main planet) in a different order?

In my game I did the nav station first, the tech priest power plant second, and the prison planet last. Because I did the nav first, they gave me the option of looting the place because it wasn't damaged by the extended rebellion. I got to the prison planet last and I can guess the big difference in that The Winterscale kid was already downstairs being mega tortured. I'm guessing if you go there first you catch him before he goes in?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GOTY

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

God drat does this slap. In this encounter she's at 15 stacks of Versatility, and two of her burst fires per round are free (one from Steady Superiority, the other from Wild Fire). The fact that she's got 235 BS means minimal shot deviation, so she can just laser a whole line of people with heavy bolter fire. I really need to get the Heavy Flamer for her close in/AOE option. Infernical is great, but not quite what I'm after from the flame weapon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do I make sure to not miss that?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

How do I make sure to not miss that?

It was a minor event on a planet in Crossroads of a Hundred Dreams, assuming they're in the same place for everyone. It can be traveled to from the system you find your capital world in.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 11, 2023

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

so what tier 2archetype are you guys putting heinrix in, i figure his healing would make him a pretty good vanguard

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Sab669 posted:

:shrug: It was the first place I went

In this case I honestly don't know what am I doing wrong. Never had such problems with Pathfinder games, idk what's the reason of my skill issues.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The spaceport is just brutal. I think it's a combination of it being so early that you don't have mastery of the combat mechanics yet, early enough that you're relying on Dodge for all of your defense, and the enemies all using Lasguns that ignore a significant portion of your dodge. Just drop the difficulty down to Story for that part IMO

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

theres some notes that imply the spaceport gets harder if you go there later because they have more time to prepare, does anyone know if thats true

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my loving GOD! The encounter in the Starport sewers with the Herald was so loving cool.
The gimmick of the encounter is really neat and the audio design there is amazing.

Ah poo poo lol I just realized I never went in the sewers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

In this case I honestly don't know what am I doing wrong. Never had such problems with Pathfinder games, idk what's the reason of my skill issues.

For what it's worth yes I did wind up with a lot of Injuries and a Trauma by the time I finally got back to my ship. But it never felt, "This is some bullshit I should not be here" -- and then I started using Cover smarter/better and got some Skills to augment my powers and the game generally just feels to get easier as I've progressed

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Szarrukin posted:

It might be skill issue, but I got totally wrecked by rebels on Rykad Minoris and I think that game should either make it more clear that Rykad Minoris is not supposed to be the first place you visit or warn us that we are not going to be able to go back for some time with, idk, warning that there are hostile AA guns on surface.

I hosed up my 2nd encounter with the rebels there and it helped me realize the mistakes I was making. Which I don't remember what they were but I did a lot better after. I think I was putting my dudes too far forward.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's just the Imperium again. You're just not quite as aware of it because the main viewpoint to the Imperium are the nobility benefiting from the slavery. Every imperial vessel literally has whole tribes of chattel slaves to do things like stoke the engines. Only difference with Chaos is that you get the victim's perspective slightly more often. Like Cassia kills dozens of people to connect to ship wifi.

Unless you think the extinction of humanity is an aspirational goal it probably isn't just the Imperium again. Everything bad about the Imperium is 100x worse with Chaos. It's just Chaos doesn't build civilizations, only destroy them, so there's nothing to really point at as an example. I mean, would the people of Rykad in Act 1 really have preferred life on a daemon world after the cult's victory? Is madness, mutation, and daemons eating your soul really what they were missing?

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Starport sniper is def bs. 37 in a shot on normal difficult, c'mon...

Reloaded fight, counter sniped em and was good tho

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 11, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

In general, I am finding Rogue Trader pretty easy on Normal mode. It lets me be sloppy and mess up moves/accidentally shoot my own guys, and the only time someone has gotten KOed so far is when my unsanctioned psyker rolled especially bad on Perils of the Warp cleaning up some trash mobs at the end of Act 1 (because I was trying to deliberately summon daemons to kill for More XP). The bloodletter died to a hail of bolter fire from Argenta, and I got a Little worried when my pyromancer summoned a screamer midway through that by blasting the second-to-last cultist with lightning... but then when I killed the last cultist, the screamer decided to just wander back into hell I guess?

I am finding that combat is pretty swingy. I pick a bunch of abilities that give little stacking passive bonuses, grant my most useful party members buffs and extra turns, and then have two people wipe out half the encounter before they can act. The reward for killing fast is Even More Turns, but more than half the fights in Act 1 felt like I didn't need to use Heroic Acts at all. The space marine got one turn, then I hit it with a greatsword like 8 times before it could do anything else. Definitely tougher than the enemies I'd seen so far, but I felt like the action economy favored me enough I could have probably taken on 2-3 of them.

I am looking forward to the level most people have called out as the biggest difficulty spike after this, where the opposition gets in on the crazy buff-stacking action. It feels like the game definitely does have tools that could challenge this party, but I am not really seeing it seriously deploy them yet.

Biggest piece of early game gear: those boots that discount Charge by 1 AP I got off the pirate ship in starting sector basically double the power of Abelard's free turns from Officers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't really know what everyone's talking about it.
I just finished the Starport on Daring and I didn't have to reload any encounters. They were all pretty easy. :shrug:
It's definitely not the same difficulty as the Pathfinder games that will eat you the gently caress up if you even dare play on Daring without doing your homework.

So far only the boss of the prison planetoid made me reload the save once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The game is so forgiving with wounds it's easy to bounce back as long as you're not cut off from your ship.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Action economy is a huge deal, and if you're building around manipulating it, you will get a lot of mileage. Also don't save Heroic Acts unless it's because you want to use a specific character's heroic act. There's very few reasons to keep your momentum meter high, and most of those are one-time effects that once you've triggered them you don't need to keep momentum at that value. My own party comp is meant to build and spend momentum as fast as possible.

Regarding Heavy Armor... I just found a cool piece, but at the same time it feels like the loss of dodge is a huge penalty. Instinct wants me to put this on someone like Abelard, but I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. Has anyone else messed with Heavy Armor who can tell me what the experience is like?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got my 6th party member and now I'm afraid of what the gently caress I'm gonna do when I find more party members, because I don't want to replace any of the ones I already have, they're all cool and/or useful.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I feel like the space marine companion and Abelard will be able to swap out pretty seamlessly. Although the marine is a Space Wolf apparently and they can be incredibly loving tedious to read speak, so maybe not. Hopefully the writers of this game tone down the wolf-this fang-that because that poo poo made stuff like The Wolftime almost unreadable. Why they leaned into the wolf elements and not viking theme is beyond me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like 40K gets a bad rap when other settings *cough* Forgotten Realms *cough* have just as much Hitler particles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Action economy is a huge deal, and if you're building around manipulating it, you will get a lot of mileage. Also don't save Heroic Acts unless it's because you want to use a specific character's heroic act. There's very few reasons to keep your momentum meter high, and most of those are one-time effects that once you've triggered them you don't need to keep momentum at that value. My own party comp is meant to build and spend momentum as fast as possible.

Regarding Heavy Armor... I just found a cool piece, but at the same time it feels like the loss of dodge is a huge penalty. Instinct wants me to put this on someone like Abelard, but I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. Has anyone else messed with Heavy Armor who can tell me what the experience is like?

You need good heavy armor and deflection to make it work, then you can pretty much just ignore small arms fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

What spells do you use on cassia besides the ones that make people move?

Good navigator spells IMO:

- Reveal the Light and Glimpse of Fate are both extremely good buffs
- Taking one of them also gives Cass a talent that reduces friendly fire from any AoE abilities like her eye.
- Mend Reality is situational, but very good when that situation arises. Essentially a gigantic middle finger to daemons and enemy psykers.

- Waking Nightmare is a good debuff against tough enemies.
- Held in my Gaze is a neat and reliable single-target nuke.
-Taking Waking Nightmare or Held in my Gaze also gives a talent that increases crit chance on all navigator powers by 30%.
- Warp Curse Unleashed is fun in larger fight - it ain't worth the 2 AP to put on a single enemy, but the way it spreads from each enemy to the nearest non-affected one means one single cast will end up afflicting every enemy present if the fight takes a while.

cuntman.net posted:

so what tier 2archetype are you guys putting heinrix in, i figure his healing would make him a pretty good vanguard

Vanguard because pushing resolve higher on a sanctic psyker looks like it'll have some crazy synergy.