Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Have you book highlighters considered the simple alternative of having an eidetic memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
The highlights are not really for me but for my all those blessed to read the book after me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uninterrupted posted:

i can't imagine getting through the preface then leaving a greasy copy of some Austrian school drivel on a park bench, and calling that experience "reading"

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The highlights are not really for me but for my all those blessed to read the book after me

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The fact that there's a long history of doing it doesn't mean it's equivalent to reading.

A big part of reading is that you dwell on each sentence - even each word - for as long as you need to process it. When the book is being read for you, that doesn't happen, the next sentence is incoming whether you're done with the prior sentence or not. This makes such a big difference that I'd call them fundamentally different activities, although they're both valuable, meaningful ways to engage with text

Stupid take, is reading braille not reading? Or how about screen readers for posts? Different people read differently, and although my brain just does not gel with audiobooks, that doesn't mean my friends who do exclusively are illiterate. Touch grass

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's only actually reading if the book was penned by monk scribes in a monastery scriptorium.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Stupid take, is reading braille not reading? Or how about screen readers for posts? Different people read differently, and although my brain just does not gel with audiobooks, that doesn't mean my friends who do exclusively are illiterate. Touch grass

Having something read to you is a big difference from reading it yourself. The reader is the one who chooses when to move from one word to the next word. Obviously this is the case with braille just like with 2D letters. I've never used a screen reader and don't know what that's like.

Your friends who exclusively have books read to them but don't read books themselves: it's obviously compatible with illiteracy - that's how life works for most children in a certain age range, they have books read to them but can't read themselves, because they're still developing literacy. I would guess that these friends are all fully literate and just don't read books (normal) and like audiobooks (normal).

The're different mediums of communicating art or information. Engaging with them is very different - seeing and hearing work differently. Reading a transcript of human speech isn't hearing it, because the 2D (or 3D) text can't capture nearly all the nuance of pace, volume, and tone. It's not a value judgement between mediums, just appreciating how different they are

Libertarianism is a 1-way road to Fahrenheit 451

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 07:08 on Dec 11, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

I once burned a book out of this principle, an abridged copy of Tom Sawyer. It's already short and easy to read! gently caress you readers digest.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Having something read to you is a big difference from reading it yourself. The reader is the one who chooses when to move from one word to the next word. Obviously this is the case with braille just like with 2D letters. I've never used a screen reader and don't know what that's like.

Your friends who exclusively have books read to them but don't read books themselves: it's obviously compatible with illiteracy - that's how life works for most children in a certain age range, they have books read to them but can't read themselves, because they're still developing literacy. I would guess that these friends are all fully literate and just don't read books (normal) and like audiobooks (normal).

The're different mediums of communicating art or information. Engaging with them is very different - seeing and hearing work differently. Reading a transcript of human speech isn't hearing it, because the 2D (or 3D) text can't capture nearly all the nuance of pace, volume, and tone. It's not a value judgement between mediums, just appreciating how different they are

I’d rather proscribe literature in favor of an oral tradition than agree with this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Audiobooks count. Don't really work for all genres tho, obviously. Simple as that.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

audiobooks count, but for me personally, I take in content better with my eyes than with my ears. I also don’t enjoy podcasts for that reason. there’s nothing wrong with podcasts, loads of people really enjoy them and get a lot out of them, but I prefer to read text than listen to it. it doesn’t make me an intellectual, or superior. I go over sentences and passages several times pretty often. Honestly it probably makes me a weirdo, kinda dumb because I need multiple goes at the content, and possibly a Luddite of sorts. But it’s just how I do, and that is okay, for me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shithouse Dave posted:

audiobooks count, but for me personally, I take in content better with my eyes than with my ears. I also don’t enjoy podcasts for that reason. there’s nothing wrong with podcasts, loads of people really enjoy them and get a lot out of them, but I prefer to read text than listen to it. it doesn’t make me an intellectual, or superior. I go over sentences and passages several times pretty often. Honestly it probably makes me a weirdo, kinda dumb because I need multiple goes at the content, and possibly a Luddite of sorts. But it’s just how I do, and that is okay, for me.

u dont like music?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I only read full scores, and the occasional guitar tablature.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fart simpson posted:

u dont like music?

People famously pick up the correct lyrics when listening.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Orange Devil posted:

People famously pick up the correct lyrics when listening.
A lot of mondegreens are a big reach, though.

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy", sure.

"Slow walking Walter, the fire engine guy"? Bullshit.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Libertarians are the nemesis of Librarians

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FFT posted:

hey now don’t get wrapped up like a douche

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

audiobooks are great because it's just so much more ~efficient~ to have them running in the background while doing more important things like coding javascript

bing bong so simple

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Considering the books I would imagine he picks up and the general state of business literature, he is likely right on both counts :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm a visual-only person and have to see poo poo happen in my head to process it, so audiobooks as background noise are unusable for me because as soon as i have to think about something else, they're immediately tuned out completely. i can still hear it, but it might as well be white noise and make no difference

this means that if i'm doing something else, or even if i just think about what's being said in the book instead of following it, i'll lose the thread immediately and have to scroll back, so i'd rather just read it at my own pace instead

melodies are about the only thing i can "follow" in the background, and even that's only become possible in my late teens, after i've been playing a shitton of music for over a decade first

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

audiobooks are great because it's just so much more ~efficient~ to have them running in the background while doing more important things like coding javascript

bing bong so simple

that's right. got the expanse audibooks going at 4x speed in one ear and the latest Rogan at 3x (he gets unintelligible any faster) in the other. IDE open, drum and bass pounding, it's time to change the world.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FFT posted:

what in the goddamn

that's loving smoke on the water?!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FFT posted:

My mom listened to a lot of Eric Clapton when I was a kid and I misunderstood Layla as gay love, I was too young to even have any understanding of what gay was, but I can promise you I got a lot of concerned looks when I busted out singing it in the grocery store

I guess that and the Lana del ray song where she goes “goddamn man child” but I heard “goddamn my own child” and the next line really did not work with that misheard lyric

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My mom listened to a lot of Eric Clapton when I was a kid and I misunderstood Layla as gay love, I was too young to even have any understanding of what gay was, but I can promise you I got a lot of concerned looks when I busted out singing it in the grocery store

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Like a fool, I fell in love with you
You turned my whole world upside down...
Gay Love, got me on my knees, Gay Love

Lmao

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's only actually reading if the book was penned by monk scribes in a monastery scriptorium.

monks read books outloud

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i love to read essays (listening to podcasts)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Truga posted:

i'm a visual-only person and have to see poo poo happen in my head to process it, so audiobooks as background noise are unusable for me because as soon as i have to think about something else, they're immediately tuned out completely. i can still hear it, but it might as well be white noise and make no difference

This is me during over half my work meetings on Teams.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i dont get the issue with the pace of audiobooks being too fast because honestly, if audiobooks dont seem excruciatingly slow to you compared to just reading, you're probably subvocalizing when you read. so if we're gonna be rear end in a top hat purists about Reading then i think you should never get credit for REALLY READING anything, at all, ever. sorry. you're not even reading this post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

eSports Chaebol posted:

i dont get the issue with the pace of audiobooks being too fast because honestly, if audiobooks dont seem excruciatingly slow to you compared to just reading, you're probably subvocalizing when you read. so if we're gonna be rear end in a top hat purists about Reading then i think you should never get credit for REALLY READING anything, at all, ever. sorry. you're not even reading this post
Calliope.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it's only reading if you're spreeding *takes sip of soylent*

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

this is correct and everyone who’s hassling you over it is just being hyper defensive that they’re too internet-brain-damaged to be able to sit still and read a book

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

are ebooks not real reading? this is important.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
People learn and absorb things differently you dumbasses why do the hot takes always come from inside the thread

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

homer begins to sing of the rage of achilles

EPIC LEFTIST: get off tiktok lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Can you guys keep it down? I can barely hear my Bunraku narrator and accompanying shamisens over this squabbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrAAnes3PA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

YaketySass posted:

Libertarians are the nemesis of Librarians

Not really a hot take

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Graphical user interfaces were a mistake, we should have stuck with the CLI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Stav, Is that you?