Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I got some "Doctor Who is dead, it's over" videos recommended after Wild Blue Yonder, which I felt was quintessentially Doctor Who and what the show is all about but because the Doctor maybe likes fellas now, it's all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

I hope they're at least going to acknowledge that there was already a The Girl Who Waited and her husband, who also waited thousands of years.

The Girl Who Waited. The Husband Who Waited.

So you're saying The One Who Waits is...River Song?! :v:

Random Stranger posted:

The nice thing I can say about the Chibnall era is the show looked great. Both in terms of how everything was designed and how it was shot. Chibnall probably wouldn't have made the catch scene in The Giggle look so boring.

But then Chibnall also avoided musical numbers until the very end of his run, so you can see his failings there.

Hell, the Rasputin thing was Dhawan misreading the script and going wild improvising...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astroman posted:

The Girl Who Waited. The Husband Who Waited.

So you're saying The One Who Waits is...River Song?! :v:

The Doctor confronts the One Who Waits: "Your mad ambition stops here!"

The One Who Waits turns around: "Hello, Sweetie."

WHO. BE. CONTINUED.

That won't happen since River Song is Moffat's pet character, but I could see it working.

My stupid rear end guess is the Valeyard. I know every time there's been a mystery villain in the revival people have gone, "Aha! The Valeyard!" but at least the Valeyard has a clear connection here.

Watch it be Fenris or something like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's adric

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Clipperton posted:

[*]Really, really not a fan of UNIT being a bunch of jackbooted riot-squad-looking thugs now. Or that they operate out of Avengers Tower, or that they have a giant gently caress-off space laser that they can blow up London with if they want. Obviously they were always explicitly military, they weren't hippies (except Mike Yates) but give me the khaki-clad, stiff-upper-lip, utterly-outgunned-by-every-threat-they-face Tommy Atkinses any day
Mike Yates was a genocidal fascist who used ecology as a justification, not a hippy.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

My only problem with playing catch was that it was obvious the ball wasn't being thrown. Like, they'd smash cut to someone acting like they just caught a ball they had clearly been holding. That's my story.

I believe it was brought up earlier, but supposedly the reason for this was because Ncuti kept fumbling the ball, so in all of his 'catches' he's just palming it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He max'd his Charisma stat, so obviously his Dexterity would suffer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No wonder the Toymaker ran away!

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Rewatched the Curator scene from DOTD and yup, it's him. Revisiting the "old favourites", saying "perhaps you are me"... Most importantly, notice what the Curator tells the Doctor in that scene. The Doctor believes the painting has two titles but the Curator corrects him, saying it's "all one title". He's literally fusing two titles into one, an inverse of bigeneration.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 12, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You know I really think you might!' still gets to me :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

Day of the Doctor was so loving good, can't believe it's been 10 years.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

Seeing that scene day 1 in a packed theater was amazing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Seeing that scene day 1 in a packed theater was amazing

I watched it live as it aired and then went out with friends and watched it again in a packed theater and it was just as amazing the second time. An incredible day (of the Doctor!)

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey..... this is the Doctor!" :hellyeah:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr.Radar posted:

I've been getting those kinds of videos in my recommendations since I started watching Doctor Who content after The Star Beast came out despite having tuned the algorithm pretty well through careful pruning of my watch history so it doesn't usually recommend that kind of poo poo to me.

I basically only use YouTube to listen to albums by 70s Japanese singer-songwriters, and I got recommended that DW IS COMING FOR YOUR KIDS?!?! one immediately after watching that trolly RTD clip that got posted in this thread. The algorithm just loves people complaining about The Woke Agenda.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

An incredible day (of the Doctor!)

And a just as incredible Night of the Doctor

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Slyphic posted:

Y'all don't have youtube suggestions permanently blocked? That's like Internet hygeine 101 stuff I taught my kids when they were old enough.

Block that poo poo and never look back.

It's good to block, but my problem is that I don't want to block something just because they don't like it. Sometimes, the YouTube thumbnail will make it easy for me and say "Doctor Who is WOKE now!". But when it's not obvious, I don't want to block people who have legit criticisms so I open their channels in incognito to get a vibe check. So far, I'm batting a thousand for "Didn't like Doctor Who" matching with "It's because of 'politics'".

I still have my own opinions (which is I liked the episode and wasn't too far out for me), but I like being challenged.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"Yeah so anyway, we had the Master murder billions of Gallifreyan children offscreen undoing all the work of the 50th; and in doing so also making GBS threads over the legacy of John Hurt in one of his final performances"

God the first 2min of this clip get me everytime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jbDasdeEU
"You don't have to do it alone"
"...thank you"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

I basically only use YouTube to listen to albums by 70s Japanese singer-songwriters,

I think that might actually be why. I watch a lot of stuff on Youtube, and my recommendations rarely ever go rogue, and certainly not with more than one recommendation among hundreds. If anything I feel like it's over-focused for me, it feels weird when a 26-view Pokemon video turns up on my recommendations, that is... concerningly confident.

If I had to guess, the algorithm wants a certain amount of variety so that it can show you more of its stuff; for a fairly regular Youtube user it'll have a lot to work with and be able to get things fairly accurate, but for someone whose entire watch history is old Japanese music and then apparently specifically current Doctor Who, it's gonna grasp at whatever straws it's got to get any variety at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In 2015, most social media sites changed their algorithm to focus on engagement. The algorithm is showing you inflammatory poo poo because a techbro with no sense of right or wrong wants you either mad or addicted to right wing bullshit. Left wing stuff tends to be too dry and based on fact for that to work since left wingers tend to actually back up their arguments and use evidence. Right wingers just do inflammatory stuff because their stuff is all culture war clickbait poo poo. If you don't constantly block it without watching until the algorithm realizes you aren't a mark, you get that poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jisforjosh posted:

Yes, Youtube algorithm, just because I watched a Disney+ video of Doctor Who means I hate "woke" content from Disney

throwing this bullshit at RTD just exposes how impotent it really is. This isn't two girls kissing in the background in Star Wars or whatever these dipshits normally complain about. This is a TV show that was already woke 18 years ago when Davies made it the biggest thing on TV actively chasing new heights of wokeness previously unheard of. You can't respond to a TV show bellowing "we're here we're queer" at you with "regrettably it appears the TV show is woke now". Toothless beyond imagining.

Specials have been fun but I'm just not into the fanservice enough to justify all the time they're spending on it. Looking forward to the actual new Doctor Who adventures

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Covok posted:

In 2015, most social media sites changed their algorithm to focus on engagement. The algorithm is showing you inflammatory poo poo because a techbro with no sense of right or wrong wants you either mad or addicted to right wing bullshit. Left wing stuff tends to be too dry and based on fact for that to work since left wingers tend to actually back up their arguments and use evidence. Right wingers just do inflammatory stuff because their stuff is all culture war clickbait poo poo. If you don't constantly block it without watching until the algorithm realizes you aren't a mark, you get that poo poo.

Eh, we've all seen the attempts by soft left grifters and clout chases, with wacky, threadbare "X is problematic" stances that don't hold up to scrutiny. There's a Doctor Who twitter that's pretty much exclusively dedicated to "documenting" manufactured outrage with a liberal bent.

They're just quite as well entrenched or as successful because they don't have the financial backing that right wing speakers often have, but they're very much a thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

throwing this bullshit at RTD just exposes how impotent it really is. This isn't two girls kissing in the background in Star Wars or whatever these dipshits normally complain about. This is a TV show that was already woke 18 years ago when Davies made it the biggest thing on TV actively chasing new heights of wokeness previously unheard of. You can't respond to a TV show bellowing "we're here we're queer" at you with "regrettably it appears the TV show is woke now". Toothless beyond imagining.

Basically:

HD DAD posted:

This episode couldn’t have been more RTD unless he judo-chopped the camera man and directly screamed to the audience “I’m back, gayer, taller, and you cannot stop me”.

God bless that Welsh Giant as he strides across the country bellowing laughter amongst the clouds :hellyeah:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Updog Scully posted:

Rewatched the Curator scene from DOTD and yup, it's him. Revisiting the "old favourites", saying "perhaps you are me"... Most importantly, notice what the Curator tells the Doctor in that scene. The Doctor believes the painting has two titles but the Curator corrects him, saying it's "all one title". He's literally fusing two titles into one, an inverse of bigeneration.

The "two titles" thing is the only part of that episode that falls flat for me, because it implies that literally no-one up to that point had heard of line breaks.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I just came up with this and I feel like I have to write it down somewhere or else I'll forget (thanks ADHD). It's about "He who waits", the one The Toymaker was so scared of and ran away.

It could be an original character that's new to the series and, if so, I'm really curious what it'll be like. But if it's a classic villain, I have a theory. Who's been waiting a long time. I mean a loooooong time. Then, almost got a chance to conquer the universe, but was made to wait even longer. Long enough to theoretically die inside the time tunnel between Earth and Mars.

Sutekh!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Warthur posted:

Mike Yates was a genocidal fascist who used ecology as a justification, not a hippy.

by the time he was hanging out at a meditation retreat going "om" he was most definitely a hippy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

The "two titles" thing is the only part of that episode that falls flat for me, because it implies that literally no-one up to that point had heard of line breaks.

I thought it was that the events of the episode changed history subtly and it hadn't caught up to the Doctor yet. Or it could just be that the Curator, knowing how things really went, personally thought of the titles that way, and since he's in charge of the gallery that's what it's going to be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Narsham posted:

Comparing the bigeneration to accidentally shooting someone in the face seems pretty extreme at this point. Where is the equivalent harm to Gatwa?
Sorry. I wasn't comparing those two things to one-another in terms of severity. I was giving a hyperbolic example to illustrate a point I somehow still have to explain to grown-rear end adults on the weekly: you don't have to mean to do harm to do harm.

Please remember that I also said I'm just gonna' go with it because Gatwa is clearly amazing, but it's something I still wish they hadn't done with his Doctor, specifically.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jerusalem posted:

Literally says, out loud, "in years to come, you might find yourself revisting a few [faces]... but just the old favorites". loving hell.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

The tardis being a police box in the 60s made sense when they were everywhere, but since there's only a handful left these days it should adopt a new shape, like an American candy store for example, or a phone repair shop.

The Tardis should be a vape shop and the sonic screwdriver should have a vape.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CapnAndy posted:

Literally says, out loud, "in years to come, you might find yourself revisting a few [faces]... but just the old favorites". loving hell.

Wouldn't be surprised if that caveat was improvised by Tom.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Improv becomes canon that close the edge of the universe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Improv becomes canon that close the edge of the universe.

"I invoked a casting call at the edge between the Revival and the Classic Series...."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just a quick look at the iTunes daily top 100 and… oh.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

speaking of songs....

https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1734257862681997528?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had never actually heard Doctor in Distress before now, and it's even worse than I had imagined it :stonklol:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Completely changes the energy of the scene

Can't wait for the no song version and memes that'll come out of it

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." - George Carlin

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

I had never actually heard Doctor in Distress before now, and it's even worse than I had imagined it :stonklol:

It is both staggeringly bad and had basically no one involved that would raise it's profile enough for it to do any good whatsoever. Like congrats Ian, you got one member of Ultravox and a guy from Starlight Express.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think Davies did the "Every Doctor is also out there" thing to be the coolest or whatever. I think he was just trying to open the door wide open for prior Doctors and companions to do televised adventures and not have to care about their age, because a huge corporation drove a dumptruck full of money up to Cardiff, he's as much of a Doctor Who nerd as some of us are, and he wants to see Colin Baker yell a monologue at a sun if the revival is popular enough to warrant some kind of "prior Doctors" anthology spin-off.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Make a new Five Doctors special

But with Colin, Tom, Sly, Paul, and Jodie

and don't say "Power of the Doctor"

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

It is both staggeringly bad and had basically no one involved that would raise it's profile enough for it to do any good whatsoever. Like congrats Ian, you got one member of Ultravox and a guy from Starlight Express.
Legendarily they said all profits would be donated to a cancer charity but it never sold enough to actually turn a profit, so they never had to make good on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Make a new Five Doctors special

But with Colin, Tom, Sly, Paul, and Jodie

and don't say "Power of the Doctor"

I think they could get a wax Capaldi in there.