Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Packaging.

I feel like every loving company has pretty much cheaped out on packaging in the last decade or so.

poo poo just never opens like it should. The paper/cardboard tears not along the fold or seam or crease, but in an infuriating manner.

The glue they use is crappy and just rips wherever. Take a La Croix box, poo poo just gets torn to pieces, same with frozen pizza boxes. They have that little perforated tab that you're supposed to peel off cleanly. Never happens, the box just crumbles or tears.

My resealable bag of mixed nuts? Ripped off the top and it didn't even rip at the resealable part, so now I need to get scissors.

Either I'm losing my fine motor control or they're all trying to save fractions of pennies on glue and cardboard.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Frankly the store targets lumpen: the self service checkouts have a button to check your WIC balance.

Tbh the most astonishing thing about this godawful take is that it wasn't posted by 3O.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the worst one for me is the bags they use for lunch meats and cheeses at the deli counters. it's like tissue paper thinness now so easy to tear and the zipper fails before the end of almost every pack

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Similarly, we have new plastic caps on cartons here in prehistoric EU because they’re more environmentally friendly (maybe?) and it seems like we have a problem with losing soda caps and flicking them into the nearest body of water or some poo poo. Supposed to go fully into effect next year but a lot of companies are starting now

The issue is that some of the caps make drinking from say, a Coke, irritating as hell. Perhaps it’s good that the bottle is slapping you, going “slow down on chugging that Dew, chubs!”, but Christ they are annoying.

Some but not all tethered caps are also absolute dogshit to close back up. It’s to the point where I’m considering buying the 2kr more expensive oat milk so that the cap doesn’t pop open with the slightest breeze when shaking, come the gently caress on ICA.

Anyway, you can rip the tethered caps off and use as a semi-normal cap. Still might leak if it’s in a backpack.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teen witch posted:

The issue is that some of the caps make drinking from say, a Coke, irritating as hell. Perhaps it’s good that the bottle is slapping you, going “slow down on chugging that Dew, chubs!”, but Christ they are annoying.

Just pretend it's patting you on the head for your good swallowing skills

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Just pretend it's patting you on the head for your good swallowing skills

Wouldn’t be the first time

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Beastie posted:

Packaging.

Plastic bags at grocery stores are terrible now and I have to double bag almost everything because they rip so easily. Circling back to the self scan stuff: it makes it take longer.

I wonder if it's saving them that much money by being cheaper and thinner vs people using more?

Ugh.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Tbh the most astonishing thing about this godawful take is that it wasn't posted by 3O.

I thought it was too, but 3O would never have said ‘Wal-Mart is better’.

teen witch posted:
Wouldn’t be the first time

:vince:

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 11, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Malaria posted:

Plastic bags at grocery stores are terrible now and I have to double bag almost everything because they rip so easily. Circling back to the self scan stuff: it makes it take longer.

I wonder if it's saving them that much money by being cheaper and thinner vs people using more?

Ugh.

Maine banned plastic bags and that's a thing that's gotten better. Reusable bags or paper bags are so superior.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Maine banned plastic bags and that's a thing that's gotten better. Reusable bags or paper bags are so superior.

I wish California would do this. the 10 cents fee per bag is just the store passing costs onto the customer

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

duncandisorderly posted:

I worked at a spanish streaming startup over ten years ago & the studios (we dealt with all of them, as an aggregator, which is why the company went under, probably) all wanted different bitrates, codecs & DRM systems. we ended up making over thirty instances of each title.
all the while, they were fussing over the end-user device functionality, like how much RAM was in the smart tv to support stunt-play (pause, rewind & so on), thinking that this was a possible opportunity for someone to steal the content ("one piece at a time, & it didn't cost me a dime"), seriously. while we were delivering content to playstations that had analogue outputs, one studio tried to ban us from streaming HD to macs because the HDMI didn't have HDCP on it.
& this was in madrid, where everybody was torrenting everything already.
nothing I said about "actually, what we're doing will be a legit, money-earning alternative to piracy & you won't have to bully people into buying stuff on lovely plastic discs either" did any good, because lawyers had discovered some techy words, exactly that.
fuckers.
essentially, they were micro-managing the blacksmiths while the stable door banged around in the breeze & the ponies were in the back of someone's van, on their way to the glue factory.
sorry if this is old-ish, but I am catching up & this touched a nerve. I work at WBD now. I really wanted the streaming company to succeed.

Every single person involved is quietly aware of the reality while still playing the game. The crazy thing is that they barely managed to adapt in time before piracy hollowed out the media publishing and distribution industries and here they are poking the beast again.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

The new discord mobile update sucks and made accessing DMs more cumbersome.

The problem with UX is that successful design obsoletes the UX department that made it, and makes "innovation" impossible, so you have to break it again.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Beastie posted:

Packaging.

I feel like every loving company has pretty much cheaped out on packaging in the last decade or so.

poo poo just never opens like it should. The paper/cardboard tears not along the fold or seam or crease, but in an infuriating manner.

The glue they use is crappy and just rips wherever. Take a La Croix box, poo poo just gets torn to pieces, same with frozen pizza boxes. They have that little perforated tab that you're supposed to peel off cleanly. Never happens, the box just crumbles or tears.

My resealable bag of mixed nuts? Ripped off the top and it didn't even rip at the resealable part, so now I need to get scissors.

Either I'm losing my fine motor control or they're all trying to save fractions of pennies on glue and cardboard.

pump bottles my goon... they hosed op the pump bottles

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

LividLiquid posted:

My last partner was a developer and confirmed something I'd long-suspected: your job is dependent on a thing *never* being finished. So, you either keep trying to fix what isn't broken and ruin the app, website, or software, or you start adding poo poo that 99% of people will never use and hope your bosses still get excited about it.

I'm surrounded by people on the cutting-edge of broadcast/digital media technology, & they always seem surprised when evidence of this "longing the job out" appears in the workplace.

"by definition," I tell them repeatedly, "a project manager is unemployed when the project finishes. so the project will never finish unless the PM (or systems integrator or whoever) has another gig lined up.
furthermore, every single outfit you deal with as a customer, every supplier... with the possible exception of some fast-food outlets... is after the repeat-business.
that service agreement? the frequent updates?
you haven't got enough money to make these people gently caress off. forget about it. get used to them being around.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

anonumos posted:

They're pushing what they want you to want, service be damned.

This is reverting to the historical norm of consumerism. Wanting things that are hard to market or overly unusual does not make number go up, so your desires must be corrected.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Beastie posted:

The glue they use is crappy and just rips wherever. Take a La Croix box, poo poo just gets torn to pieces, same with frozen pizza boxes. They have that little perforated tab that you're supposed to peel off cleanly. Never happens, the box just crumbles or tears.\

I've noticed this too. I saw a lifehack the other day where you take one end of the box, open it, put the whole box in the fridge open side first with the cans standing, then open up the front side of the box and push the cans out the back with one hand while pulling the box with the other. It's a gamechanger. Now I deal with the box all at once instead of tearing off the little perforated tab and accidentally splitting open the whole thing anyways.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

I've noticed this too. I saw a lifehack the other day where you take one end of the box, open it, put the whole box in the fridge open side first with the cans standing, then open up the front side of the box and push the cans out the back with one hand while pulling the box with the other. It's a gamechanger. Now I deal with the box all at once instead of tearing off the little perforated tab and accidentally splitting open the whole thing anyways.

This is what I do. A bridge full of beer in seconds, box gets broken down immediately

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I remember the first time I saw that trick. I was like "holy poo poo, we truly are living in the future"

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with UX is that successful design obsoletes the UX department that made it, and makes "innovation" impossible, so you have to break it again.

Not only is UX a self defeating position, so is QA. QA/UX are interchangeable in the following rant.

If you do a good job QA looks unnecessary and a waste of $$$. If you do a bad job, you get fired.

Only way out is to do a decent job and track every positive improvement you contributed to, present it to your manager, and get promoted into getting to tell others what to do, thus fulfilling the cycle.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Medullah posted:

I remember the first time I saw that trick. I was like "holy poo poo, we truly are living in the future"

i literally saw it like 5 days ago and thought "oh, so I've just been doing it the wrong way all this time."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Beastie posted:

Packaging.

Holy poo poo yes, especially the part about glue being so loving weak.

I used to get this big resealable bag of frozen fruit for smoothies, except the glue attaching the ziploc to the bag was somehow weaker than the ziploc itself. So whenever I went to open a new bag I would just rip the ziploc right off the side of the packaging and now I can't reseal it anymore.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Beastie posted:

i feel like this is why the inverse has happened - luxury is often associated with how incredibly lavish the packaging is, and that's considered an incredibly important part of the 'luxury goods' experience, as a sort of counter to how the stuff for the proles just falls apart

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, like watch boxes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

is pepsi ok posted:

I used to get this big resealable bag of frozen fruit for smoothies, except the glue attaching the ziploc to the bag was somehow weaker than the ziploc itself. So whenever I went to open a new bag I would just rip the ziploc right off the side of the packaging and now I can't reseal it anymore.

This happens to me all the time now. I have to be super careful every time I open a resealable bag.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The places that have baggers are usually union in middle America while those that don't aren't. There's an exception in Costco and Aldi, but generally if there's no bagger it's a lovely place to work. You shouldn't support lovely places to work.
Came in to post this. if you use self-checkout or bag your own groceries at a Kroger or whatever, you're a scab.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Remulak posted:

Came in to post this. if you use self-checkout or bag your own groceries at a Kroger or whatever, you're a scab.

Look buddy, I’m just trying to buy food so I can go home.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wash bucket posted:

Look buddy, I’m just trying to buy food so I can go home.

Not acceptable, the line you exit the store from is now, officially, your political identity

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Remulak posted:

I don't think Kroger has unions and they all have baggers. At least not in my state in the midwest. I would bag your stuff anyways because they don't pay the employees enough to care. Wages at the grocery stores haven't gone up much compared to everywhere else.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 11, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
2/3rds of Kroger employees are represented by the UFCW.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a map for that? I'm in WI, and the stores here used to be Kohls that were union, then Kroger bought them all and now they're non-union.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Holy poo poo yes, especially the part about glue being so loving weak.

I feel like a lot of glue is too strong now, so when you're supposed to pull apart the glue on two cardboard flaps that are stuck together, the glue is actually ten times stronger than the flaps so you end up just ripping one of them off instead. Of course maybe the glue is the same as always and the cardboard is weaker, I dunno.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There isn’t a map but you can check by zip code here:

https://www.ufcw.org/members/find-your-local/

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

My last partner was a developer and confirmed something I'd long-suspected: your job is dependent on a thing *never* being finished. So, you either keep trying to fix what isn't broken and ruin the app, website, or software, or you start adding poo poo that 99% of people will never use and hope your bosses still get excited about it.

The best software is old *nix utilities because the interface hasn't changed in 30 years because they already got it right, and then Windows users are all "who uses vim in 2023 :smug:" before they're all "THEY RUINED MY CHAT APP :supaburn:"

I guess what I'm saying is we should let crusty turbonerds at Berkeley write all software

quote="Outpost22" post="536467645"]
What comes after end stage capitalism? :ohdear:
[/quote]

Feudalism, and not the cool cyberpunk techno kind but the kind where the population has declined by 90% and most of the survivors are illiterate peasants doing farm labor for warlords

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Blessed to work in the airline industry where nothing will be updated because it’s “too expensive”

(our industry is run by liches with no real understanding of how anything besides airplanes and fuel costs)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

If you haven't already switched to an ergo keyboard it's time to pull the trigger. Mine has helped immensely and the learning curve is super accessible, I'm basically back to my former speed after only a week or two. Also shoutout to vertical mice, I was recently able to play a game on my PC for the first time in ages. Everyone should be using this poo poo, it loving owns.

That reminds me, Microsoft killed their excellent ergonomic mouse and keyboard because some brand manager decided they weren't "upscale" enough.

Just because Surface devices are overpriced doesn't mean you're a luxury brand!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t know euros do not do the once weekly grocery run for all your food for the week. That explains some differences

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Blessed to work in the airline industry where nothing will be updated because it’s “too expensive”

(our industry is run by liches with no real understanding of how anything besides airplanes and fuel costs)

Utilities that run the power grid operate the same way.
Not only is {new thing} too expensive, it doesn't have a 30+ year proven industry track record and you just can't do that kind of risk buy

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Everybody complaining about weak packaging while I'm here gnawing on this pack of batteries thats encased in some form of ballistic kevlar and exotic carbon nanotube material. Its completely resistant to all forms of physical damage. I just want my key fob to work again, Duracell, is that too much to ask? Do I need to get James Caan in here with a fuckin plasma lance to open this tiny little vault you've constructed? Gimme the goddamn batteries you pricks

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Everybody complaining about weak packaging while I'm here gnawing on this pack of batteries thats encased in some form of ballistic kevlar and exotic carbon nanotube material. Its completely resistant to all forms of physical damage. I just want my key fob to work again, Duracell, is that too much to ask? Do I need to get James Caan in here with a fuckin plasma lance to open this tiny little vault you've constructed? Gimme the goddamn batteries you pricks

Hahaha did you also just buy a 4-pack of 2032s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just get a stupid big knife that you can do knife tricks in the mirror with after you open your vibrator batteries or whatever

Edit: a respectful jest in good taste

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 12, 2023