Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my husband I'm not making him a chore list?

quote:

I love my husband dearly, we rarely fight at all if ever. The only thing we butt heads on is home maintenance. We have two non-verbal autistic children and both of them attend multiple therapies everyday. I have occupational, speech and feeding therapists in and out of my home Monday-Friday. When he came home from deployment I was relieved that I would finally have an extra hand to help pick up around the house but he avoids the mess. He says if I want him to do something to just make a list and he'll do it...

I never understood why there needs to be a list though. We're not children anymore and I don't want to treat my husband like a child. When I see the dishes are dirty, I wash them. I see the kids bedrooms are destroyed, I pick them up. I see the laundry is piling up, I start a load. Trash overflowing, I take it out...No one made a list for me, I don't understand why he needs one and why he can't make one for himself.

AITA for not wanting to make the list?

EDIT: He's been home from deployment for 7 months, he didn't just get home. This is our 5th deployment together. Not including underways.

okay, here's your list:
  • help out around the house
  • rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not changing the Christmas menu?

quote:

My daughter (5) is both autistic and has AFRID. We have her in several therapies, including feeding therapy. For the time being, however, there’s very little she’ll eat. Per the the therapist’s recommendations, we always give her her safe foods, while encouraging her to try new ones. Her main safe foods are grilled cheese, butter noodles and nuggets. There are other snack type things she’ll eat, but that’s it in terms of meals.

We’re hosting Christmas this year. My husband and I plan on making a variety of food (ham, turkey, lasagna, various sides, etc). I also am going to make buttered noodles and nuggets so my daughter has two of her safe foods. I plan on making enough so if anyone wants them, they can eat them too. We have a lot of kids coming, so I figured it was best all around. Our holiday meals are always serve yourself, so people can eat what they like and leave what they don’t.

I sent out the menu to everyone last night. My brother called me about an hour later. He asked why I was serving chicken nuggets and buttered noddles at Christmas. I explained why and he said that he’d prefer I didn’t, because then his kids are going to want some. My brother and his wife are anti-junk food and it’s been a bit of a problem in the past. I’m all for healthy eating and always provide an array of foods, but I also don’t hold back on serving on other foods. In the past, this has caused tantrums on my niece and nephew’s part because my brother and SIL will tell them they can’t eat something that my kids are. My brother said they don’t want a fight this Christmas. Keep in mind, there are foods being served that my SIL and brother allow their kids to eat. They just know they’ll want the noodles and nuggets if they see my daughter or anyone else eating them.

I said that I was going to provide my daughter with options and I’m not going to hold back given his kids. I pointed out that if I didn’t have these things, my own daughter may get upset. He said that I need to teach her to eat “like everyone else”. We’ve explained her AFRID and autism before, so he’s more than aware that this isn’t a matter of her being picky. He says that he wants a peaceful Christmas. I said I do too, so the menu isn’t changing. He can either allow his kids one day with junk food OR he can tell them no and handle the outcome. No judgment either way. He got huffy but agreed.

My mom feels like I should feed my daughter separately but that’d mean she’d be left out from the meal or would have to sit there not eating while others did.

AITA?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Foo Diddley posted:

okay, here's your list:
  • rear end in a top hat

I dunno, "if you see the chore, do the chore" was a lovely system when the one husband proposed it back in the other post and I'm not sure it's really improved here just because the wife is suggesting it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arsenic Lupin posted:

brother should look up the word 'orthorexia'

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foo Diddley posted:

okay, here's your list:
  • rear end in a top hat

It sounds like they’ve been married for long enough that she should be able to tell if he’s being a jerk here or if “make a list and do the things on the list” is actually the strategy that works for him and his brain. And obviously if it’s the latter they should coordinate about what’s on the list or else she’s going to feel like she’s out of the loop.

Coca Koala posted:

I dunno, "if you see the chore, do the chore" was a lovely system when the one husband proposed it back in the other post and I'm not sure it's really improved here just because the wife is suggesting it.

Exactly, people pointed out how “Just Do It” doesn’t work as a chore system, or at least, not for everyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I don't want a fight this Christmas," says man picking a fight over Christmas

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pirate Radar posted:

It sounds like they’ve been married for long enough that she should be able to tell if he’s being a jerk here or if “make a list and do the things on the list” is actually the strategy that works for him and his brain. And obviously if it’s the latter they should coordinate about what’s on the list or else she’s going to feel like she’s out of the loop.

Exactly, people pointed out how “Just Do It” doesn’t work as a chore system, or at least, not for everyone.

Iirc, Part of the reason it didn't work was because the husband would see something, like the trash was full, and then come to complain to her about why the thing wasn't done. So instead of If you see it, Do it, it was If you see it, Whine about why it wasn't already done by somebody else.
That's not a problem with the process, it's a problem with the person.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for wanting to go to a country just for the women?

quote:

The conflict here is that my friend is mad at me and it might affect our friendship.

I (20M) am planning to go to school abroad in Japan. I’ll be honest, it’s mostly because I’m a weeb, but another reason: the women. Japanese women aren’t fat, so I don’t have to worry about having an overweight partner potentially. I told my female friend (19F) about this and she said I’m a shallow prick for wanting to go to a country for something like that.

I don’t get what’s so wrong with liking non-fat Asian chicks. American women aren’t attractive due to the 30% obesity rate and none of them eat right. In Japan they regularly eat vegetables, exercise, and have an active lifestyle that American women don’t. This really pissed my female friend off and she said no girl in Japan would want to date me. AITA?

redditor:

quote:

YTA

Get two therapists and some straws. The straws decide which one has to deal with you and which one has to give them therapy afterwards.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for wanting to go to a country just for the women?

It's hilarious how we can all guess the country without reading the text

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
OP: NO FAT AMERICAN CHICKS

also OP:

quote:

I live in the south. Every woman is fat here, including myself but I’m working on it

i'm sure those fit japanese hotties will be all over you, my dude

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm 5'7", and I've fluctuated between 100 and 200 pounds as an adult. At 140lbs I wore size small, with some medium depending on the brand. That guy is mental.

Edit: "non-fat Asian chicks" they're not food, you worthless stinkbug

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 12, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

It's hilarious how we can all guess the country without reading the text

Eh, I had it pegged as Thailand before reading. But I'm sure we were all on the same continent.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I was on the fence about this until I unspoilered the weights. gently caress alllllll the way off, dude

For me it was the "I usually order for her because she can't be trusted to make the right choices."

Indeed. All the way off is how this dude should gently caress.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

okay, here's your list:
  • rear end in a top hat

"Just do it" is an advertising slogan, not an effective form of household management.

Relationships are based on two way communication and working together to achieve a goal. I rely on lists to get the housework done, and I do most of it. I also couldn't do that if my partner didn't communicate with me about what she feels is a priority.

"just do it" is unsuitable for us because left to my own devices the trash would be overflowing and the kitchen/living spaces would be spotless because I prioritise having functional spaces over bins (which can always be taken out when you have a moment later... or tomorrow...), my partner would like to not have overflowing bins so she adds that to my list if necessary. Without a master list then little things which just aren't part of my everyday (my kid's laundry, because it's in there rooms and I don't see it, for example) will overflow and become a problem that needs solving rather than a job that needs doing.

Relying on "just do it" means the only chores that get done are the ones that you interact directly with, not necessarily what actually needs doing.

If your partner asks you to do more then asking for clarification is a good thing, even if only because you're far less likely to get in the way if you know what's going on and where to start.

Refusing to elucidate further on what you need when you make a request is just being difficult, and very unlikely to get you far.

Pirate Radar posted:

He probably (definitely?maybe) is being a jerk about it. Stepping up to take part of the load and not sulking and making things difficult is also an important part of a relationship.

That doesn't mean that he's suited well to working without a list, or that he knows where to start making a list to begin with. Or that he's any better than she is about communicating his needs and working with his partner. I doubt being on deployment would have helped either, by nature I would have thought that it'd have to be a regimented environment, with very clear instructions for 90% of the poo poo he would be expected to do on the daily and limited information flow, which probably isn't all that conducive to being across all facets of managing a complicated household environment.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

i win, reddit! you were all wrong and she'll never order a cheeseburger again

The poor woman is starving. I hope she sneaks a cheeseburger every drat day just to spite him

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

For me it was the "I usually order for her because she can't be trusted to make the right choices."

Indeed. All the way off is how this dude should gently caress.

Yeah, on my first reading I read

quote:

Usually when we go out to eat, I order for her because she knows she might not have the discipline to make the right choices.

as the wife at least having some agreement in this arrangement, but on second thought, I'm probably giving the narrator way too much credit on that

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Denying a double date invite?

This guy sounds remarkably similar to the guy who didn't want to take his girlfriend out to eat since she was a really good cook and he wanted to save money by always eating at home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

r/relationships: He didn’t want to leave his coat–because there were additional magic tricks secreted inside

I've said it before, but I really get it when the woman in Gravity Falls says that her date's anime dating sim ex-girlfriend breaking out of the computer and turning Chuck E Cheese full Five Night's At Freddy's was not the worst date that she ever had, because 'Never date a magician'.

Foo Diddley posted:

okay, here's your list:
  • rear end in a top hat

If both their kids are autistic there's a good chance at least one of them is too. Autistic people tend to be extremely literal by default and even while very well aware it's a thing, simply don't get inference and go through life frustrated and amazed at what people expect them to 'assume'.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If both their kids are autistic there's a good chance at least one of them is too. Autistic people tend to be extremely literal by default and even while very well aware it's a thing, simply don't get inference and go through life frustrated and amazed at what people expect them to 'assume'.

Yep, we do.

Further to that if we've been taught that you can just expect people to know everything you're assuming (ie. that allistic behaviour is the default baseline, and that large amounts of info are conveyed purely by inference) then we're even more amazed that people just don't get what we expect they can just "assume". After all, if we're expected to do just "assume" this or that, why wouldn't we expect that so and so can just "assume" the other thing that we're trying to infer.

Really bad habit, continuously backfires for obvious reasons.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it before, but I really get it when the woman in Gravity Falls says that her date's anime dating sim ex-girlfriend breaking out of the computer and turning Chuck E Cheese full Five Night's At Freddy's was not the worst date that she ever had, because 'Never date a magician'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH9_HUACQ8

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bend posted:

He probably (definitely?maybe) is being a jerk about it. Stepping up to take part of the load and not sulking and making things difficult is also an important part of a relationship.

That doesn't mean that he's suited well to working without a list, or that he knows where to start making a list to begin with. Or that he's any better than she is about communicating his needs and working with his partner. I doubt being on deployment would have helped either, by nature I would have thought that it'd have to be a regimented environment, with very clear instructions for 90% of the poo poo he would be expected to do on the daily and limited information flow, which probably isn't all that conducive to being across all facets of managing a complicated household environment.

Right, I think we’re mostly agreeing. I just think a knee-jerk negative reaction to wanting a list to follow is unwarranted. Operating off a list isn’t inherently worse in some way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I would like a list of chores, would be much easier to see what I need to do every few days rather than every day. I mean assuming there are kids in the mix, it would work a lot better for poo poo like laundry organization.

Assuming the person in question does poo poo like laundry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm so ADHD I don't even do my own chores unless I have my extremely visible and colourful chore list, and I'm the primary chore-doer.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'm so ADHD I don't even do my own chores unless I have my extremely visible and colourful chore list, and I'm the primary chore-doer.

If you stay at someone else's house do you do their chores when they go to bed and you can't sleep?

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Honestly I would like a list of chores, would be much easier to see what I need to do every few days rather than every day. I mean assuming there are kids in the mix, it would work a lot better for poo poo like laundry organization.

Assuming the person in question does poo poo like laundry.

Not always a good assumption, unfortunately.

Master list of things to check (organise it by room/space) on is a key to a chore list, in my opinion at least. Lets you just run down the list in a quick look and generate a workable order of what you actually need to do. Don't forget to add frequencies (every month or whenever, not when it's (or you're) vibrating at 45 KHz LOL) for stuff that isn't a daily priority, if you don't then you'll end up cleaning under the furniture when the bins need emptying LOL.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

OP: NO FAT AMERICAN CHICKS

also OP:

quote:

I live in the south. Every woman is fat here, including myself but I’m working on it

i'm sure those fit japanese hotties will be all over you, my dude

Pretty sure OP isn't a dude.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nebrilos posted:

Pretty sure OP isn't a dude.

The post itself says 20M

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Adhd chore-chat: I frigging adore the Tody app. I use the free version, and it has lists of recommended chores and cadences, broken down by room, and you can also add or edit as suits your home. It's color-coded to show your dumbass how far behind on cleaning you are, and is satisfactorily gamified.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With those the trick is to give the machine a good hip check as the coins are being pushed. At some point they started adding sensors to counter this so you had to be more careful when nudging them.

But I've only seen them in arcades that give out cheap toys so it's basically profit either way. If there's a real money version of this game it's probably locked down better than that.

Heartwarming story except for this bit of poor judgment.

The way to do arcades that give out cheap toys was to make friends with the maintenance guys' kids. Those lil bastards just have whole rear end rolls of tickets.

But that's more of a skeeball lifehack, I've never seen the coin pusher machines outside of truckstops.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 12, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

actually, "kiss building maintenance's asses" is solid life advice in the adult world as well. Best boss I ever had got my raise pushed through by taking HR's thermostat hostage.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Pirate Radar posted:

Right, I think we’re mostly agreeing. I just think a knee-jerk negative reaction to wanting a list to follow is unwarranted. Operating off a list isn’t inherently worse in some way.

I think it's the difference between "you need to make me a list" and "I want to make myself a list, can you help"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Desert Bus posted:

If you stay at someone else's house do you do their chores when they go to bed and you can't sleep?

They don't even have to be in bed, but something that stops me is "what if this is organized chaos and if I move something, they'll never find it because they currently know exactly where it is?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can I legally do anything about my son resisting arrest?

quote:

Recently, my son (13M) has been skipping school and being disrespectful to teachers. As a punishment, I decided to put him under house arrest and I made a signed legal document saying that he can not leave the house within 7 days. Yesterday, on the third day of the 7-day period, he decided to leave the house. Is there any way for me to get law enforcement to enforce his house arrest? Will I have to hire a lawyer and make this go through court first?

Hello, police? I'd like to report my son for being a teenager

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Legal document lmao

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

He's in the military, don't they love checklists there? They can pretend she's his CO.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That contract doesn't have any consideration and is therefore void, unless it's in a jurisdiction where deed polls are binding.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

They don't even have to be in bed, but something that stops me is "what if this is organized chaos and if I move something, they'll never find it because they currently know exactly where it is?"

You wait until they go to sleep and then you use your magical powers of insomnia and autism to to hang out in their kitchen in the dark in the deep morning and do all the dishes and re-arrange all of everything, The only thing you 100% leave in the same spot is the coffee stuff.

Once they've had their coffee they will happily thank you for completely rearranging their terrible terrible mess.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Dr. Stab posted:

That contract doesn't have any consideration and is therefore void, unless it's in a jurisdiction where deed polls are binding.

Also a minor child can't enter into a contract, and while a parent or guardian can act on the child's behalf, they can't sign both sides of the contract without a conflict of interest. Plus contract violation would fall under tort law, not criminal, so good luck getting the cops to do anything anyway. Though I would like to witness that complaint. "Hello police? My teenager doesn't respect me even though I am pants-on-head stupid!"

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

Solenna posted:

I think it's the difference between "you need to make me a list" and "I want to make myself a list, can you help"

This is the really important thing for sure. I’m sure for a lot of the people in Reddit stories like this, getting that list from their spouse would be a one time activity and the following weekend they’d be complaining that there’s another list. What the op needs in that story is for the husband to help with the overall burden, which includes list making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Solenna posted:

I'm going through this with my mother. I want to be available to help with stuff but she doesn't understand that I hate being treated like a prop and there's a big difference between "can you do this for me" and "you can do this for me".