Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

pseudorandom name posted:

Then why would anybody subscribe to Max?

The end result is probably to actually end their streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

After less than three years?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Then why would anybody subscribe to Max?

Well, they have a lot of reality shows now

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
My favorite part of Leave the World Behind is when the 10 year old child recites a Jed Bartlet monologue from West Wing in its entirety and then Julia Robert’s character is like “why did you do that?”

Tainen fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 12, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I liked when Julia Roberts was like gently caress your jazz Mahershala lets listen to "Too Close" by Next.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Leave the World Behind
Milked the premise too long, but overall was well made and acted. I was getting sick of the vertical turned horizontal camera gimmick by the end. Less is more.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If anyone is looking for an south asian cinema kick, Jigarthanda DoubleX on Netflix is very fun. Much lower budget than RRR or Pathaan or Jawan, but knows how to work it for similar effect - though don't expect the same kind of spectacle. Go in thinking Tropic Thunder but with a staighter face.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Inspector Hound posted:

Why are they removing actual HBO shows?

To kill HBO and sell it for parts.

This statement can be applied to WB as well

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That's so sad, HBO Max was my favorite service for a bit. I like getting stoned and watching political comedy and now there's one season of even their own stupid shows. I don't dare search for Looney toons, I won't voluntarily ruin my day

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Leave the World Behind
Milked the premise too long, but overall was well made and acted. I was getting sick of the vertical turned horizontal camera gimmick by the end. Less is more.
The problem with the premise was that they let you know what was up right at the start of the film. And yeah the camera gimmickry was ridiculous and off-putting from the start. Also all the product placement, and the way the film occasionally built some tension and atmosphere but would always immediately shatter it with terrible music and sound choices.

I enjoyed it overall though. It was sort of like the ~40 minute one-off dramas you'd sometimes get on kids tv in the uk - hokey and incompetent but sort of spooky and charming anyway

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wolfsheim posted:

So they can rent them to Netflix/Tubi/etc

Ok but

I mean gently caress Zaslov anyway though, this is completely within the realm of what they would do.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I mean, they basically just did that maneuver with a bunch of other HBO shows.

Although, if they wanted to just delete the second half of the Watchmen series, I'd have no emotional reaction over that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I wasn't being pithy lol I just remember seeing Insecure on Netflix one day and going "oh okay"

I know some article awhile ago speculated that the reason Zaslav is making what seem like a bunch of insane moves is that he's just trying to make the numbers look lean enough to sell it off to Disney or whoever and that this is common quasi-legal CEO bullshit but because the company in question is a thing people actually care about they're actually being scrutinized for it this time

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but

I mean gently caress Zaslov anyway though, this is completely within the realm of what they would do.

lol why would you believe this for one second? They also :airquote: accidentally :airquote: listed a bunch of Looney Tunes cartoons as leaving Max as well but corrected the :airquote: mistake :airquote: once a bunch of people got mad about it.

They're removing everything they can get away with to license to ad supported services because they can't make money any other way.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did that many people get mad about Watchmen specifically getting removed? I liked it but I thought I was in the minority on that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Baron von Eevl posted:

Did that many people get mad about Watchmen specifically getting removed? I liked it but I thought I was in the minority on that.

It was good-ish except for the last episode

but it's more about how it's a symptom, we are soon back to the era where the BBC taped over the originals of Dr. Who episodes because the people in charge don't have respect for their content

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I would hope anyone who pays money for Max would get mad when they remove content, regardless if you watch it or not.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Removing Jeremy Irons content from my streaming services should be illegal

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1734576728918421658?s=20

You're not wrong!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would hope anyone who pays money for Max would get mad when they remove content, regardless if you watch it or not.

I understand the sentiment but I'd be okay if they removed almost all the Discovery content.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The superior service gains the most movies

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I don’t understand the appeal of Tubi and Pluto. I don’t care what content they have, no loving way am I going back to ads.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What, you don't like your movie being interrupted by the exact same ad telling you public healthcare is evil and the election was a lie?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ll dry-hump a bandsaw before I ever willingly watch another loving commercial

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I don’t understand the appeal of Tubi and Pluto. I don’t care what content they have, no loving way am I going back to ads.
I think the appeal is being free unless you value your time or sanity at all

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Brocktoon posted:

It's starting to grow on me again. Go grab a beer, go to the bathroom and be back just in time for stuff to start again.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ad blockers do a great job of blocking Tubi ads.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
No ad blockers on my Roku.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

The biggest pros for me are the MST3K channel and lack of sign up process. There are other good channels too, if you can get by the aforementioned commercials, weirdly specific ones for individual series, multiple cooking channels, even a couple boring news ones of varying trustworthiness.

e the ads are definitely obnoxious and usually the same two or three. I hope you don't mind meditating on disgusting laundry.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

It's starting to grow on me again. Go grab a beer, go to the bathroom and be back just in time for stuff to start again.
Seriously the same. I don't care that tubi has ads, I've seen basically 99% of the "good content" on the poo poo people actually pay for prime/netflix/hulu/max/whatever and most of it sucks anyway (esp once they stopped competing in terms of throwing giant checks at auteurs for exclusive content). I've seen Goodfellas! Mindblowing, I know!
Throw on tubi and I find some random five star film I've never heard of. I just hit mute when the ads come on and do other poo poo.

Like I would pay for a tubi without ads I guess? The answer for why people gently caress with it imo just has more to do with the fact that most of the paid adfree services just have a bunch of poo poo that's either stupid or I've already seen. :shrug:

:filez: > Tubi > all paid streaming services

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 13, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's almost like they are fishing for viewcounts to see how their midrange stuff does on Tubi with ads. I bet they partition out Max with ad plans tiers like everyone else + something else unimaginably dumb we won't foresee.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brocktoon posted:

Better selection than literally every other streaming service. That's the appeal.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Also adblockers work and I usually watch tubi stuff on a pc. However I do think tubi has the fewest ads of the streaming services I've used on devices. Hulu is the worst offender I've experienced

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
As somebody who hates and despises ads and would pay a premium to not watch them, Tubi's are honestly pretty innocuous. The content on there more than justifies it, I feel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Also adblockers work and I usually watch tubi stuff on a pc. However I do think tubi has the fewest ads of the streaming services I've used on devices. Hulu is the worst offender I've experienced

Doesn't every Hulu paid tier also include ads??

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Tubi is good but the ads can be a bit egregious, I watched Pieces of April last night, a 75ish minute movie, and there were at least five ad breaks lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

gently caress if I know, I mooch off a family account that's the lowest paid tier iirc. It's a terrible service and everytime I watch something on it I regret not just hunting the file down online.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't used hulu in a long time but I think someone said that there are only like two shows on it that have ads on the paid tier and which nobody would want to watch anyway (I think it's related to the details of the licensing arrangement for those shows)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hulu has always been rear end. Even back in the day when Netflix was a little interesting I hated Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

no, i get zero ads on Hulu.

Ads aren't fun to watch or anything, but i do net get being full-throated with hatred of them.
If i watch a movie without ads, i still tend to pause it a few times to piss, or get snacks, or make another adult beverage or something.

It's like ads have killed people's house pets or something.