Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

New maps are mostly good, same for cosmetics if you're into that kind of thing so overall a decent modern update. No warskins sucks but then again all the previous ones have been pretty rear end anyway.

Krampus manages to capture the same kind of magic in older Halloween updates where you could easily see it just being the sole big thing as the center piece.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

khwarezm posted:

Man, there's so many costumes I want to do up my little men in but I feel really constrained by the 3 cosmetics slot limit.

Its probably for the best in terms of performance but hurrrgh, I have a summer scout loadout and I have to make brutal decisions between the Aloha Apparel and the Summer Shades.

there should be at least six or seven cosmetic slots

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Halloween should let you wear any cosmetics together even if they conflict. Give your enemies REAL nightmares.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

paradoxGentleman posted:

i think i was not the worst player in there. i got some kills, got some assists. i certainly didn't carry the team.

One thing I noticed when I returned to TF2 earlier this year is that, to a degree, you can't turn the clock back in terms of round by round game sense, at least in competent player bases like Uncletopia. I recall having so many essentially meaningless wandering skirmishes back in the day in TF2, but after playing a few years of Overwatch and internalizing ideas about round tempo, splitting, taking bad fights or failing to reset etc, I can't entirely turn that off even when going back to a much looser game.

That's not to say TF2 is anything like as taunt or restricted as a round of Overwatch, I think it's much to its credit that it isn't, but I think you can see in the flow of the round that people play the objective and are more aware of the broader state of play than they used to be, and it makes for a sharper, more focused, and less forgiving experience.

TF2 is still incredible, colorful and funny and even cheerful and now more than ever I think the multiplayer shooter genre needs a sequel, either by valve or someone else.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack B Nimble posted:

TF2 is still incredible, colorful and funny and even cheerful and now more than ever I think the multiplayer shooter genre needs a sequel, either by valve or someone else.

I hate to say it, but for better or for worse, Overwatch IS the sequel to TF2.

That said, I would love an actual TF3

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the biggest thing that makes Overwatch very not TF2 is team sizes.

Like, I think team sizes actually do lead to TF2 still being more forgiving and "loose" - like I think Jack B Nimble is sort of right that times have changed, but the vibe of TF2 is still dramatically different from Overwatch because the team sizes inform such different balance. Overwatch I find I have to be incredibly mindful about engaging when a player down - getting a single pick can turn the tide of a fight. Where as TF2 I can kind of just jump into the enemy, get 2-3 kills, get blown up and the tide of battle hardly changes a lot of the time.

Ive been playing OW2 lately and I do have fun with it, but I definitely would love to see someone (if not Valve) try a shooter that's mid sized team vs mid sized team. Alternatively Valve could give TF2 the Counter Strike 2 treatment and upgrade it to Source 2 and just generally give it some first party love.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

does overwatch even have hats

can you even move that gear up

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

does overwatch even have hats

it now has gun skins AND model skins, but no hats.

sadly you can not move that gear up, but there's finally a dispenser in the game. sorry, "healing pylon"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hate to say it, but for better or for worse, Overwatch IS the sequel to TF2.

:frogout:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stop booing me I'm right :colbert: More so in the beginning of OW though, where there were no class limits and Torb was literally just Engineer with the numbers filed off. if Valve made something in that space now, I think it'd end up looking more like Overwatch than any other modern multiplayer game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would like to believe that if Valve bothered making a followup to TF2 that they would find a more compelling hook than aping Overwatch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
TF2 competitive sixes is the prequel to Overwatch.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Overwatch had so many glaring problems compared to TF2. Movement is neutered mostly. Too many long range hitscans. Too many stuns or crowd control abilities. Too much damage mitigation in shields and over powered healing even outside of ultimates. I don’t know if OW2 changed any of that, but it got further and further from a semi fun release.

I wish some of the ideas for classes were aped by a TF game. Genji, Lucio, and a modified version of the old doom fist seem like they could be fun in a TF2 style. Even games like Paladins or the mobile game Brawl Stars has some neat niche classes or mechanics that I think could fit, but I’m not sure they could be implemented through load outs as the balancing within what the classes can already do. I think there’s enough unique mechanics in other games that could make 9 additional TF2 classes which might be cool. Maybe expand the classes out of the standard anglophone personalities and cover MENA, Asia, Africa, South America etc.

Ok enough rambling, I’ll have a Dave’s single and a medium frosty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The thing about 'additional TF2 classes' is that those exist, they're subclasses from equipment. If TF2 were more like Overwatch, Widowmaker/Short Circuit/Gunslinger Engi and Frontier Justice/Wrangler/Jag Engi would be two different characters with no overlap.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh absolutely TF2 is still looser than Overwatch, one thing I've cone to despise about OW is the way you load into a fixed team with fixed roles; it's tailor made to generate toxicity in the team and I suppose that would have been more obvious to anyone who'd had more experience with MOBAs.

TF2 sixes are similar to OW but I personally only played them with goons so it was self selected to be a friendly affair in a pre existing, if virtual, social group where no one ever said anything harsher to me than infusing their tone of voice with discernable frustration that I'd repeatedly lose the 1 v 1 against the other scout. In OW every play has a continuous (but, I must stress, illusory!) Narrative of what their team mates Have Been loving Up the whole game. Whereas, in TF2, the tean is a disorganized pile of grab asses mobbing in the general direction of the objective and moving in and out of classes like you were all browsing the options at a buffet. It all diffuses and prevents toxicity in a way other hero shooters badly, badly need. I think we're finally past the allure of esports so maybe we'll get another TF2 soon :unsmith:

You know, only know do I realize TF has as much in common with Battfield as Overwatch, and it's the better for it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Overwatch had so many glaring problems compared to TF2. Movement is neutered mostly. Too many long range hitscans. Too many stuns or crowd control abilities. Too much damage mitigation in shields and over powered healing even outside of ultimates. I don’t know if OW2 changed any of that, but it got further and further from a semi fun release.

I'm not sure if those are glaring problems so much as "OW is a very different game from TF2 aside from the cartoony hero shooter vibes"

It's basically an FPS moba. Stuns, mitigation, all create counterplay and space for them to have like 20+ characters. Characters are a lot more specific, and abilities are designed to interplay between characters.

Like, I sort of feel like characters like Lucio and Genji work in OW because there's counterplay to them in the form of CC. A highly mobile medic in TF2 feels like it could be really annoying with how few TF2 classes have good ways to hinder movement and how few strong hitscan weapons there are. But it's the sort of experiment I'd be very interested in seeing.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
they should let the sniper equip demoman's shields in his primary slot

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I recently picked up playing TF2 again myself after the YouToob Algo got it's hooks in me via showing me some Lazy Purple and Soundsmith stuff. It really reminded me of the main reason I played so long, the funny ragdolls and the community. Still the game on Steam with the most hours in it even after almost a decade of not really playing it.

I really don't feel like in any other game you can round a corner to go up some stairs, someone jumps over your head in an attempt to stab you with a melee weapon and whiff after which you both lock eyes as he draws his gun to try and salvage the situation as you... say "Thanks!" and stand still. He stops his side strafe, says "Thanks!" back and you each go your separate ways.

Also kill binds are never not funny, I'm glad they exist and are allowed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Like, I sort of feel like characters like Lucio and Genji work in OW because there's counterplay to them in the form of CC. A highly mobile medic in TF2 feels like it could be really annoying with how few TF2 classes have good ways to hinder movement and how few strong hitscan weapons there are. But it's the sort of experiment I'd be very interested in seeing.

Depends on how strong they make the uber. In-combat healing just isn't terribly effective when there are 12 enemies shooting at you and no barriers or CC abilities to hide behind, without overheal it's really hard to keep people alive between ubers. It would be quite easy to turn a Lucio style healer into a trap option where it's fun as hell to play but doesn't really carry its weight very well. But if you're more survivable than a standard medic and your uber is good enough it almost wouldn't matter what you contribute the rest of the time.

stumblebum posted:

shield primary and shield secondary. the ned kelly build

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd like to see primaries for Heavy and Sniper to support shotgun and SMG focused loadouts. Doesn't have to be anything extreme, but just something that feels like it does something useful if you want to play those gimmicks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Perhaps a primary slot Sandvich thats eaten faster or buffs you to keep you more survivable in a fight

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The primary slot is just another shotgun, giving you another 6 shot clip to go through before you have to stop and reload.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thats.... not a bad idea

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Perhaps a primary slot Sandvich thats eaten faster or buffs you to keep you more survivable in a fight

the rare and dangerous double sandvich heavy

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know the Overwatch/TF2 comparison has been done to death but people do go too far with it, something that I think really stands out about TF2 is that its basically the last of a genealogy of shooters that began with the original Quake.

I think the maintenance of explosive jumping with all their weird foibles as such a crucial component of its identity is indicative of that, in contrast Overwatch is very much the contemporary shooter in the sense that movement mechanics like that are present but they have a lot less potential depth and can quite literally by boiled down to 'Press button, jump high/go fast', I don't mean that with total contempt though because it certainly makes the concept of a movement shooter more approachable when players don't have to wrap their head around bizarre quirks that originated in a videogame engine old enough to be your dad.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Its not very surprising that Overwatch is an big name FPS made by people without a huge amount of FPS experience but with a lot of ARPG and MOBA experience when you put it like that...

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 12, 2023

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure if those are glaring problems so much as "OW is a very different game from TF2 aside from the cartoony hero shooter vibes"

It's basically an FPS moba. Stuns, mitigation, all create counterplay and space for them to have like 20+ characters. Characters are a lot more specific, and abilities are designed to interplay between characters.

It’s a glaring problem in the fact that it made two very different, vocal parties within the game that caused really bad decisions made to appease both, ultimately appeasing neither. Obviously coming from TF2, I enjoy the high mobility and aim reliance, where as those from the other camp definitely wanted to neuter a lot of the other parts I enjoy. I don’t think the move to lock in roles (where much of the mobs centric role were almost never filled, and the traditional shooter roles had long waits) or the move to 5v5 would have happened if this problem wasn’t so apparent.

As for Genji and Lucio, I’m not convinced they couldn’t fit. Both were in the game when the number of CC abilities were limited and they weren’t oppressive. Genji wouldn’t be much different to kill than a scout. Obviously something like the reflect would need to be changed (would be interesting if it blocked hitscan but not projectiles, like a reverse pyro) since the mobility would already make it difficult to land directs on him.

With Lucio, we already have something like the conch that adds healing and speed, so I’m not sure it would be too out of place, but numerically tweaked. The boop wouldn’t be too bad since it only moves players and there are limited maps with hazards compared to OW. There wouldn’t be as much room for wall rides given the angularity of most TF2 maps, but it would be fun from a user perspective. I’m not sure he’d be a pain to kill outside of certain classes, but that could be mitigated with his primary weapon being less powerful so they couldn’t just fly in from no where and immediately kill someone like a scout.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, Support Scout is already the name of the game in MvM, giving him some support tools in PvP* wouldn't be a huge stretch.

* The old Sandman doesn't count, that fucker needs to stay dead.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

The primary slot is just another shotgun, giving you another 6 shot clip to go through before you have to stop and reload.

Back when I played Fat Scout I often wondered what would happen if you could run two secondaries, and then I recalled demo man.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

the next update should have new achievements and weapons and war paints and poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A heavy replacement primary that's literally just the pistol but it lets you double jump.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

the holy poopacy posted:

Two shotguns but you dual wield them

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

JAnon posted:

the next update should have new achievements and weapons and war paints and poo poo

Valve still needs to go back and fix the YouTube achievements that broke :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Oxyclean posted:

I'd like to see primaries for Heavy and Sniper to support shotgun and SMG focused loadouts. Doesn't have to be anything extreme, but just something that feels like it does something useful if you want to play those gimmicks.

Honestly all Heavy would need for Fat Scout to be a properly viable loadout would be to allow him to equip shotguns in his primary slot so he can have both a shotgun and a lunchbox item at the same time

Also make the Family Business usable by the other three shotgun using classes

girl dick energy posted:

The thing about 'additional TF2 classes' is that those exist, they're subclasses from equipment. If TF2 were more like Overwatch, Widowmaker/Short Circuit/Gunslinger Engi and Frontier Justice/Wrangler/Jag Engi would be two different characters with no overlap.

Yeah for TF2 proper Subclasses handle that, though for a hypothetical Team Fortress 3 assuming it goes with a new cast of playable characters then I could see them splintering off some of the prior game's subclasses into dedicated standalone classes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

All Heavy needs for fat scout is a full on super shotgun in his primary like what the class got in TFC. It wouldn't be overpowered in anything given it'd be a close/mid-range weapon on Heavy of all classes but it'd be funny to blast a dude in two shots close up like scout can.

You could make it like a scattergun or panic attack on steroids but only give it 2 or 3 slots meaning your secondary would still be an important decision between healing or perhaps dealing with a protracted engagement by picking the family business.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 13, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
let the heavy use the rescue ranger

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You could just make the primary shotgun not have to reload, easy peasy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

stumblebum posted:

Also all shields should be interchangeable.

Also Scout should be able to equip a shield.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
also scout should never stop talking about his shield

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Pyro should be able dual wield flareguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I saw they added haarp and I got war flashbacks