Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

i own every Bionicle posted:

I made a few posts in this thread about my friends dogs that stayed at my house, one being a chinweenie with the manners of a butler and the other being a slightly sassier pomsky who looks like a cross between a fox and a vanilla eclair.

I decided giving them back was bullshit so I drove to Vermont and got my own.

This is Newton, originally named Kris, though he didn’t respond to that thankfully.

He’s very nervous in new places but not afraid of people. He appears to be housebroken but doesn’t know anything else.

The shelter guessed he was Golden and Husky but I don’t buy the husky part yet. He has no curl in his tail and none of the husky sass, and apparently got out of the fence at the shelter at one point and didn’t go anywhere. I’m thinking maybe border collie, he walks with that kind gait and he’s been totally silent except for one whine in the car.

He came to Vermont from an overcrowded shelter in Puerto Rico, and he appears to be about a year old. Even though he has a lot to learn he’s been an incredibly good boy the first night and I’m really looking forward to seeing how he is when he comes out of his shell.

He’s beautiful and I am also looking forward to when he comes out of his shell and the subsequent update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

square

https://twitter.com/Hoku10Suzu/status/1733631291239825895

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

so whats going on here

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

so whats going on here

The hamster is inside another glass enclosure.
You can see it in the beginning when its preening, it is smooshing some of the tailfur against a glass wall.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it's a porpoise guinea

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

what’s a tailfur

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ror posted:

what’s a tailfur

waggin'

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Turn that frown upside down.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hippocrass posted:

It is now mad that you turned it upside down:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phW_SopTQw

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Bored posted:

He’s beautiful and I am also looking forward to when he comes out of his shell and the subsequent update.

Newton is a very nervous boy. As soon as I got his crate set up he started spending most of his time in it. Getting him out for potty breaks was quite difficult. The best technique was to slide the crate into the kitchen sleigh ride style then when he saw the door he would jump to go out. The back yard and the crate were the places he felt most comfortable. I don’t think he spent much time indoors. He showed very little interest in treats of any kind.

I was getting concerned because he didn’t want to come out of the crate to eat or do anything. As soon as he went in he would just shut down.

After talking with some people and chatting in the new dog owners thread on PI they suggested that he just needed more time.

Yesterday he seemed more interested in treats. He came all the way out to take a couple treats if I started with one near the edge of the crate, then one on the floor a foot beyond that, loony tunes style. At one point he stopped and enjoyed pets and some reassurance for about 10 minutes before going back in! He also came out to eat a whole bowl of food.

Then when it was time for his second walk, I didn’t even have to get the crate to the kitchen! He popped out when it was in the hallway. I actually stopped to go to the kitchen to grab the leash and turned around to see him next to me, tail between his legs, shaking, but resolute and brave.

It’s so cool to see progress. Another important fact is that his ears are crooked:

Outside:

Resting with his toy after a hard day of eating treats and going in and out of a crate:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Good work, Newton! :love:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That there is an honest to god story about bravery. Being so scared it shakes you but saddling up anyway

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I've never wanted to hug a dog more in my life

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
good dog

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tell Newton I love him, he's very precious :3:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Good job Newton, you're very brave!

Hippocrass posted:

:effort:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please convey ear scritches (crooked or straight) to Newton on my behalf.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Then when it was time for his second walk, I didn’t even have to get the crate to the kitchen! He popped out when it was in the hallway. I actually stopped to go to the kitchen to grab the leash and turned around to see him next to me, tail between his legs, shaking, but resolute and brave.

Just the absolute bravest bravest of boys :kimchi:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

withak posted:

Please convey ear scritches (crooked or straight) to Newton on my behalf.

Done. He is in his crate so lighting isn’t the best but here’s something from the other night when he had to deal with the awful scary rain. After he came in and got towelings he flopped down onto the shipping blanket his crate is usually on for a few minutes of reassurance before I could set it up again. He likes to do the leg thing when getting pets on his side.

https://i.imgur.com/txS1vxH.mp4

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

an extremely good dog

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Done. He is in his crate so lighting isn’t the best but here’s something from the other night when he had to deal with the awful scary rain. After he came in and got towelings he flopped down onto the shipping blanket his crate is usually on for a few minutes of reassurance before I could set it up again. He likes to do the leg thing when getting pets on his side.

https://i.imgur.com/txS1vxH.mp4

He is very sweet

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I am again en-catted.

Jynx, female orange

(Name indeterminate), male tabby

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Rust Martialis posted:

I am again en-catted.

Jynx, female orange

omg they are adorable :kimchi:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So many good cats.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I can sense the mischief in Jynx

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rust Martialis posted:

I am again en-catted.

Jynx, female orange

Adorable.

Indeterminate is a bit of a mouthful for a cat name though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

I am again en-catted.

Jynx, female orange

good cats

i might be mistaken but aren't female ginger cats incredibly rare?

edit: ok it's more like somewhat rare, still you have a RARE good cat

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just wanted to add to good brave boy Newton chat - you've had him only a few days so far, right? And he's gone from completely shut down, to willing to come out of his crate for a meal, to bravely coming out for his walk even though he is very scared, to enjoying cuddles from you when a scary thing (rain) happened.
This is amazing progress over such a short time!

I've posted a lot about my own frightened good boy Henry, and it took him years to achieve some of the things your lovely Newton is already able to do.

However, 9 year old Henry is very much NOT 1 year old Henry.
A couple of weeks ago, I cooked a pizza for dinner, and carelessly left it where a short-legged, extremely bold pup could reach.
I came back to a sadly ravaged pizza, and a dog with a single soggy slice hanging from his mouth. He'd already eaten about 5 slices, he was just hoarding the 6th.
Just last night, I cooked another of the same pizzas.
He sat expectantly at my feet for the whole time I was eating it; he knows the rules - I have to leave it unguarded and he gets to eat as much as possible.
He was shocked at what happened next:
I selfishly ate the whole pizza, and went away to bring the board back to the kitchen.
In the 5 minutes I was away, he stole a pair of my socks, a thing he hasnt done since he was a teething puppy..
He left one right in the middle of the landing as a kind of warning, and the other on the floor of my bedroom.
Henry himself was under the bed with his face hidden, but his two front paws spread extremely angrily.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Pookah posted:

I just wanted to add to good brave boy Newton chat - you've had him only a few days so far, right? And he's gone from completely shut down, to willing to come out of his crate for a meal, to bravely coming out for his walk even though he is very scared, to enjoying cuddles from you when a scary thing (rain) happened.
This is amazing progress over such a short time!

I've posted a lot about my own frightened good boy Henry, and it took him years to achieve some of the things your lovely Newton is already able to do.

However, 9 year old Henry is very much NOT 1 year old Henry.
A couple of weeks ago, I cooked a pizza for dinner, and carelessly left it where a short-legged, extremely bold pup could reach.
I came back to a sadly ravaged pizza, and a dog with a single soggy slice hanging from his mouth. He'd already eaten about 5 slices, he was just hoarding the 6th.
Just last night, I cooked another of the same pizzas.
He sat expectantly at my feet for the whole time I was eating it; he knows the rules - I have to leave it unguarded and he gets to eat as much as possible.
He was shocked at what happened next:
I selfishly ate the whole pizza, and went away to bring the board back to the kitchen.
In the 5 minutes I was away, he stole a pair of my socks, a thing he hasnt done since he was a teething puppy..
He left one right in the middle of the landing as a kind of warning, and the other on the floor of my bedroom.
Henry himself was under the bed with his face hidden, but his two front paws spread extremely angrily.

Yes Newton has progressed pretty quickly all things considered. I got him home Wednesday night after a 3 hour car trip back from the shelter. He had spent 3 months there and been returned once after spending just one day at another adopters house who had an out of control GSD puppy who pushed him to snap. When I went to meet him he was nervous being out in the front area of the shelter, but came on a short walk with me and a friend around the area so I could see what his demeanor was. He was never afraid of people but not attracted either, and nervous in new situations. So I don’t think he was ever abused. He seemed to somewhat enjoy petting at the time but now gets into them more than he did. I think he lived most of his life with other dogs only because the only time I’ve seen him wag his tail so far is when we were at the shelter picking him up and he saw one of his buddies. He didn’t know his name or any commands (he originally came from puerto rico and I tried speaking Spanish to him, to no avail). I think he really relied on other dogs for guidance and reassurance, and now he’s starting to learn that people are OK too. I’m really looking forward to seeing what he’s like in another week!

I’m sure Henry has had a scarier go of it. He’s smaller and was clearly neglected. We are very proud of his progress even if he has gotten sassier as well :)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MikeCrotch posted:

I introduced my cats to cat yoghurt and they went ballistic for it except one. One of them would root through the rubbish looking for the packets so she could tear them open and get every last drop
I have a tortoiseshell kitten will instantly wake up and run with this kind of fervor when it smells parmesan cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBv8--PX3o

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

smol catte very longue

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rust Martialis posted:

smol catte very longue

play that belly like a bongo, they love that

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Name Indeterminate is seeing some poo poo

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Garrand posted:

Adorable.

Indeterminate is a bit of a mouthful for a cat name though.

call them Indy

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Name Indeterminate is seeing some poo poo

Yeah, the cover of Court of the Crimson King artwork in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Wf6RH0B.mp4