Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
If it's just for getting more starlight then I don't really see the reason to bother. I still haven't unlocked all the stardust upgrades for MD2 and have been doing MDH runs without issue basically the moment they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Something to point out it's that it's not 2 alternating teams, it's 5 because that's the max Rest Bonus and you gain 1 per time unused.

But as mentioned it's Normal difficulty and you get free levels so as long as you have T3 it's fine and it incentivizes making themed teams so it's cool: a Burn Liu team for example will have tons of 00 Ids so cost should be reasonable, or going an Envy team with Middle Ids or Charge team if you feel like not really engaging that day. Getting all Sinners from the start means you can save the Cost you'd use to buy ids and use it on gifts/skill replacements instead.

I just hope we do have enough team slots to fit a full rotation, between EXP and Thread dailies I have half the teams already used :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah this seems more like a bonus for encouraging variety in your MD teams rather than just doing the same W/R Charge team. Y'know, like I have since launch.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Yeah, I can look at this as enjoying it, since it'll be normal difficulty, and just having fun trying out different setups. I've got all the identities (minus EGO Faust), might as well give them a go.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I basically always switch team composition between Mirror Dungeon runs, so yay, I guess. Happy to have an actual mechanical reason to do so. :v:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, the main benefit you get from starlight in this mirror dungeon is better tailoring of your starting ego gift to whatever. So... yes, the point is running a bunch of gimmick teams built around certain status effects so you can have more fun building gimmick teams that blow everything up because you have gifts that make their main status effect better.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah and hopefully at least in normal there won't be a cracked MFE at the end so you don't have to bring R Heath on every run or risk horrific suffering.

They also made it so you HAVE to beat the final floor boss if you want credit for that floor so no more dipping on seeing a final boss that's bullshit!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh I missed the full announcement silly me. Overall seems really focused on bringing themed teams, and making the shop more Gift Focused which is nice cause on MDH I basically wasted all cost in new IDs. Biggest thing is you'll probably need to upgrade to Uptie IV certain characters so they bring their weight better since Upties are not autoupgraded 8 and if going for maximum efficiency you need all released Outis IDs lmao, at least G Corp is now available and the rest are Standard in case you're missing some.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I've been running themed MD2 teams for ages and have about a dozen tabs of ID's between themes and effects that I regularly alternate through just because I can, so it seems like a very good change targeted at me specifically.

Important to note, you can still fit in one last MD2H run between the daily reset and the weekly update, so get what's yours before its gone.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh I missed the full announcement silly me. Overall seems really focused on bringing themed teams, and making the shop more Gift Focused which is nice cause on MDH I basically wasted all cost in new IDs. Biggest thing is you'll probably need to upgrade to Uptie IV certain characters so they bring their weight better since Upties are not autoupgraded 8 and if going for maximum efficiency you need all released Outis IDs lmao, at least G Corp is now available and the rest are Standard in case you're missing some.

good luck if you didn't get Molar Outis before last season ended though lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PlasticAutomaton posted:

good luck if you didn't get Molar Outis before last season ended though lol

oh gently caress thought she was Standard but yeah she's Season 2 (Event) so lmao. better add Stubbs Outis with Ahabmael whenever they release her

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

oh gently caress thought she was Standard but yeah she's Season 2 (Event) so lmao. better add Stubbs Outis with Ahabmael whenever they release her

Pip Outis you mean. :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

what you mean you guys don't make six teams of separate units and just cycle through them by rote at all times? :v:

Ha ha ha...

N corp
Tremor
Bleed
(rupture]
Burn
Charge

Not made up in that order, and there is certainly overlap. And the rupture team is presently rubbish. Maybe its time to finally make that poise team if we get to choose gifts on hard...

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

habituallyred posted:

Ha ha ha...

N corp
Tremor
Bleed
(rupture]
Burn
Charge

Not made up in that order, and there is certainly overlap. And the rupture team is presently rubbish. Maybe its time to finally make that poise team if we get to choose gifts on hard...

Yeah, but the rupture team has some generally good IDs, like KLu and the Sevens.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
There's a quite a few fun theme teams and my favorite part of the game is putting them together and watching them go, it's very fun and I'm glad they're putting in mechanical benefits for doing it. There's a lot of obvious themes and synergies in the game, with the biggest problem is that most of them are one or two short of a full complement.

Ncorp has 6 ID's, 4~ of them are terrible but very synergistic and holy poo poo can the grippy pair do a lot of heavy lifting. They're basically a bleed team

7 Association has 5 relatively good ID's and is the bulk of a rupture team, and look very stylish at all times. Columbo Heathcliff is far and away my favorite. For filling up the extra slots, LCCB Ish is great for keeping rupture going, KongLu is great for keeping the green theme. Ggregor exists I guess. Edit: Talisman Sinclair is actually a great addition if you're going for pure rupture, but requires a lot of juggling to make work and I tend to ignore him.

Wcorp has 5 good ID's and a mersault, hit very hard and do a lot of very flashy looking moves. There's several charge ID's that are very good and can fill up the roster, so it's probably most people's default gameplan.

Liu has 4 ID's that make up the entire burn complement so far. There's the one good one, two okay ones, and the mersault. They actually do a great job of stacking up burn very quickly with just the 4, and there's actually not much incidental burn, but there's a couple of EGO's that do big burn work that complement the strat on Rodya and Ryo, and you can keep up the punch theme with Dieci Rodya and MidDon.

For purely status themed teams, there's a couple options with strong complements, other then tremor which still just kind of sucks.

Bleed team has a variety of options, such as KKonglu, TTong Lu, and Hooklu. This man will single handedly provide the bleed potency, and you need KKryo and Rsault to provide the bleed count. There's a lot of overlap now with the S3 ID's, and all of the Pequod crew, MiDon, and pirate Gregor can slot in perfectly. Most of the blade lineage and KK are pretty bad, but they'll make things bleed.

Poise is basically the bleed team, but you can add in the three 3 Shi ID's and Pequod Yi Sang to make it spicy.

Envy Res is the newest style, just making long lines of envy resonance to make MiDon's counter absolutely whack. This one is Middle Don and Mersault and Pequod Heath for the obvious synergy, Dieci Rodion because she can discard her non purples, and RemnantFaust and ShIshmael for having double envy between their blocks and a skill (Faust also has hexnail, which does crazy work). You can fit in extra purples, but these are the ones I've seen be very consistent, even if it takes an extra turn for you to get the 6th slot. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still one more ID that supports this game plan coming up very soon, since it's been a seasonal thing.

Sinking is a team that exists, because it's basically just three incredibly strong ID's existing and being synergistic. Molar Ishmael is the classic style of hit things, apply sinking. Dieci Rodion is the same, but she also has the Rime Shank ego to apply an absolutely absurd amount of sinking in an AOE, then Spicebush Yi Sang has lots of sinking count and Sinking deluge on his skill 3, which just axe drops all of the built up sinking as damage on whatever it hits.

Onehandclapping fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 11, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For my rupture team I have Talisman Sinclair in the support and KCorpHong in the combat. Since then K Corp Hong will always, always get the talismans due to the way the support passive works. So even if he gets too many and takes the hit, he's K Corp Hong Lu and it doesn't matter.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rupture needs a specific setup to work at all but otoh it's IDs are also generally good so you can manage either way.

a good post. to add my own cynical lovely powergamer opinions to it:

Ncorp: Synergizes really well but also runs into clash issues as they're scaled for S1. Nails is still really good though.

W: runs the gamut between "destroyer of worlds" and "takes a long time to build charge for little payoff". Specifically Meursault doesn't really get anything out of his big attack and Faust can hold the line but also doesn't do much(3 paralyze would be aces if it was next turn, unfortunately it's not and she's slow as poo poo. 4 Bind has it's uses though). Yi Sang would also rather be on a Rupture team for the most part. Generally they're mix-and-matched with R IDs.

7: Have a weird divide between damage-type exploitation and rupture and as such don't really function particularly well as a full unit. Generally Faust will be splashed in rupture teams(or general use for clashing), Heathcliff might follow her too. Yi Sang and Ryoshu will go on damage-type teams and Outis will fit anywhere that doesn't powercreep her.

Liu: No real notes, they're all Burn and they're all pretty good at it(though Ishmael and Hong Lu kinda carry it). Really the main issue is that there's only 4 of them and 3 are 00s that mostly just apply Burn, they could use another heavy-hitter.

Bleed: KK Hong Lu actually wants to be far away from a Bleed team so Cloud Cutter will go off properly, Hooklu is probably better if you want to focus on Bleed. Really Bleed's main issue is that there's a bunch of IDs that like having big Bleed stacks to proc their effects but few that can keep a Bleed stack going. Still they can definitely put in work but take some skill to get a proper stack going given Meursault's jank application of it.

Poise: There's really no synergy in a Poise team at all, they all kinda just do their own thing and are usually inconsistent about it unless they've got amazing skills to support it(Blade Yi Sang) or are good enough to ignore it entirely(Queecliff).

Envy Res: Has something going but is still missing the key piece in Capn' Ishmael. One of their payoffs(Don) also needs the stars to align just right to pull off her S3 properly(though it's decent without it)

Sinking: For some reason this is the only status that PM likes giving giant application numbers to so even if you're not going for the Yi Sang tactical nuke strat they can still piggyback off of each-others' applications nicely for some extra burst damage. They function more as a bunch of great IDs that can make use of Sinking rather than a Sinking-dedicated group(though they can definitely do that too).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wouldn't Twinhook Gregor also be there on "Poise units that do good on their own"? I've only really used him for Pierce damage on daillies but he seems good at gaining poise even without bleed and has lots of potential on critting S3 despite being a 2 coin skill.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Tremor can also be pretty strong. Regret Faust, Molar Outis, and Rosespanner Rodion make up a core of Tremor units that can basically carry a team on their own, but extra support from LCCB/Molar Ishmael or Molar Yi Sang can really start cranking the numbers on just how fast you can stagger something.

The main issue is that by the time Tremor starts really being a factor you've already won, but the Tremor Girlboss Squad (especially Regret Faust, if you're lucky enough to have her) just poo poo out damage anyway, so you can just winrate through normal encounters and then put your thinking cap on to start staggering bosses early.

I guess Rosespanner Mersault is here too for his Regret EGO which can nuke down a target that's otherwise immune to Tremor Burst (if you're lucky enough to have pulled that from Walpurgisnacht), but I think Rosesalt runs into too many clashing issues to really be that useful.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wouldn't Twinhook Gregor also be there on "Poise units that do good on their own"? I've only really used him for Pierce damage on daillies but he seems good at gaining poise even without bleed and has lots of potential on critting S3 despite being a 2 coin skill.

it's more "good enough that poise doesn't really impact them one way or another", TH Gregor is still reliant on Poise itself and is inconsistant as a result, though that doesn't make him bad per say

e: the point i was trying to make before i got sidetracked mid-sentence about inconsistency is that poise doesn't really do much as a team strat. if there was a poise-type telepole then we'd be talking

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 12, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yinlock posted:

it's more "good enough that poise doesn't really impact them one way or another", TH Gregor is still reliant on Poise itself and is inconsistant as a result, though that doesn't make him bad per say

e: the point i was trying to make before i got sidetracked mid-sentence about inconsistency is that poise doesn't really do much as a team strat. if there was a poise-type telepole then we'd be talking
Well, it works as a team strat in Mirror Dungeons if you can get good EGO Gifts for it, but that's less about the individual units working together.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
so my question is why they're getting rid of md1 and md2

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DuoRogue posted:

It seems like a really unfriendly decision for newer players, for sure.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DuoRogue posted:

I'm guessing their stats showed no one played MD1.

Normal MD does level up your units, so new players should be able to handle that?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Hey, is it just me or is there only 2-3 CGs in the entirety of Canto 5 that depict the character? Like, all I've seen are place and whatnot but rarely the character taking the center stage

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yinlock posted:

It's mostly that I felt Twinhook Gregor with some poise Gifts could bust some nuts cause he basically would get a shitton of poise for his S3, albeit at the cost of Twinhook being real bad at fueling his EGOs.

By the way, at which Korean hour does the weekly reset happen, same as daily? Gonna leave a MDH run unclaimed to get the rewards before maint.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Gonna leave a MDH run unclaimed to get the rewards before maint.

Oh I'm literally doing this too. Let me check...

10 am through 12 pm KST on the 14th. This would be...11 hours from right now, give or take, making it...

7 pm Central Daylight Time. I have to wake up a little early just to hit a button and claim my gat dang hmd rewards from the run I did.

(I got MFE, because of course I did. :v:)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, then it's the daily reset hour and maint is at sleep time for me. Perfect.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Actually hey yeah it’s midnight over there in an hour maybe I can just get this done before bed. :shepface:

Edit; their reset is 6 am Korean time I am not doing that,

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 13, 2023

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
As a casual gamer, I am fascinated by this conversation.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Hey, is it just me or is there only 2-3 CGs in the entirety of Canto 5 that depict the character? Like, all I've seen are place and whatnot but rarely the character taking the center stage

What do you even mean, the character? Ishmael? If you're talking about Ishmael, it's just you, but if you aren't, I don't know who "the character" you're talking about is.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

KobunFan posted:

As a casual gamer, I am fascinated by this conversation.

Because they’re changing the mirror dungeon at maintenance, this means they’re also resetting clear counts at maintenance. This means that a crazy person can squeeze out a bonus MDH clear and 750 lunacy by just doing it before maintenance but after weekly reset.

It’s just optimizer things. :v:

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021
According to the Reddit, if you get to the rewards screen and return to window before the week ticks it works

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m doing, cleared it last night and just… waiting.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

RandomReader posted:

What do you even mean, the character? Ishmael? If you're talking about Ishmael, it's just you, but if you aren't, I don't know who "the character" you're talking about is.

I meant the Sinner and Dnate in general. I just feel as there are less CGs depicting the Sinners as a group and whatnot. Might be just because I miss the VellMori art

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I meant the Sinner and Dnate in general. I just feel as there are less CGs depicting the Sinners as a group and whatnot. Might be just because I miss the VellMori art

Given that the main group CG I remember from this part was the shot of everyone pedaling where Rodion was basically a cardboard cutout of her normal sprite they propped up, I assume they just don't have the production pipeline for big multi-sinner CGs like that in place yet. Which makes sense, since they ripped Vellmori's art out last-minute.

Agreed about missing Vellmori's art, though. The serious CGs still worked, even if they looked a bit rushed, but the comedy and action CGs lost a lot of their dynamic energy.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
So... what's this "Mounting Trials" thing? Does it mean that every time you get a gift, it comes with some kind of penalty?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the first run, md3 only has 4 floors but they made the last floor twice as long so it still p. much has 5.

e: or 3? i was half asleep going through it so i dunno

also the old bosses have been freshly overtuned, good lord kromer went from a joke to a somehow bigger slog than my form empties. she takes no damage from anything besides Ishmael beating her over the head with an anchor.

KobunFan posted:

So... what's this "Mounting Trials" thing? Does it mean that every time you get a gift, it comes with some kind of penalty?

yeah it gives the enemies a boost. in practice it just makes refusing more optimal a lot of the time

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 14, 2023

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

i thought if you refused the gift the enemies just get a random boost. Most of the mounting trial debuffs are so weak you can just ignore them anyways.

Also uh if your floor 3 boss is slash recommended and a lust weakness don't do it, it'll be Faelantern and softlock your entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
alright, sold on the sinking team just by virtue of hucking it at the stupid drat bull and having it work waaaay better than my slightly more charge centric team