Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Someone did writeups of the books in the fatal and friends thread if you want to check them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

I think I'm gonna start picking the books up for this game soon, the system looks really interesting and properly high fantasy.

I really enjoy the system. The games I ran were quite fun, I should do another at some point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really enjoy the system. The games I ran were quite fun, I should do another at some point.

Oh nice! I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. I didn't realize there were as many books out as their are, honestly.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I can add my two cents as I'm running my third campaign right now and also working on two one-shots to run at convention next month.

Base system allows for quick combat and is really easy to introduce. Also uses only d6 so no fancy genesys dice or whatnot.
At this point you have 14 races and over 60 archetypes to choose from. You get rules for playing order, destruction, death and mixed bindings as well as seraphon, stormcast, bonereaper and draconiths (listing this separate as they cant benefit from soulbinding).
Ulfenkern gives as 4th city/realm writeup and those are worth it for filling in knowledge of the setting. Other then the newest one we have Brightspear (this one is meh), Anvilgard (this one is great - really solid campaign book) and Greywater (no idea - don't have it yet).
Cubicle 7 has two free adventure on its site - Crash and burn is kinda whatever but Reap and sow is good starting point to further campaign (tho one you have to prepere yourself. Crash and burn goes into start set campaign so that one cuts out your work).

Just shot me some questions on what you need to know.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Playing in an SB campaign currently, and it's pretty fun. But figuring out short term goals can be a head scratcher at times if you're not particularly good at those kinds of things. (Like me :v: )

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Newer books including 2d6 goal tables for players who struggle with that kind of thing was such a godsend for my campaign.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, must've missed them. Good to know.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

In case my players can't come up with goals I switch to milestones. Otherwise I will let them figure their goals after they get lay of the land.

Out of curiosity what campaigns are you guys playing?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In my case we our first major goal was liberating a settlement from an Orruk siege, that we finally wrapped up last night (The Megaboss got turned into a tree at the end). Who knows what we're in for next.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I got beguiled by the idea of assembling and painting a bunch of small plastic lizardmen, so I guess I’m in this hobby now. Starting with a Kroxigor probably wasn’t an advisable decision, but it sure was fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covermeinsunshine posted:

In case my players can't come up with goals I switch to milestones. Otherwise I will let them figure their goals after they get lay of the land.

Out of curiosity what campaigns are you guys playing?

Was largely doing original stuff. Though next time I run I think I will do Blackened Earth.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 5, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Starting with a Kroxigor probably wasn’t an advisable decision, but it sure was fun.

doing whatever seems the most fun is the best way to approach the hobby imo

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...t=jamesw7/12/23

Remember to order all those christmas presents to yourself early, and you might get them in time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wait, is James Workshop some thing they've been doing or an internet meme they're having fun with?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, is James Workshop some thing they've been doing or an internet meme they're having fun with?

Internet meme that they embraced.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
They've been doing it here and there for a couple years, but it started off as a fandom meme about about an Office/IT Crowd style incompetent boss running GW (or a diabolical businessman wringing gamers for all their money, while making the games terrible. They didn't really embrace that side of the meme)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
"I'm James Workshop and I hate horses"

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
"I hope it doesn't sound arrogant when I say that I am the greatest man in the world."

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/10/sunday-preview-kill-team-salvation-stalks-into-view/

Daggok’s Stab-Ladz for Underworlds, alongside a new rivals deck goes up for pre-order on the 23rd.
That is all for upcoming AoS releases.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Finished the last ogroid

All the lads

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Super smooth, and the freehand is mint.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This keeps coming up in conversation around me, but I'm not sure I have a good answer.

What would you pick as a good starter army at this point in the game? The inevitable 4.0 next summer really cramps things, but even just thinking about this season, I'm not sure what to recommend. About the best "good but not bent, rules make sense" army I can pull is S2D.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

This keeps coming up in conversation around me, but I'm not sure I have a good answer.

What would you pick as a good starter army at this point in the game? The inevitable 4.0 next summer really cramps things, but even just thinking about this season, I'm not sure what to recommend. About the best "good but not bent, rules make sense" army I can pull is S2D.

Nurgle is relatively low model count and really solid. Hard to kill, you can buy the GUO and have 1/4 of your army's points right there.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Seraphon won't destroy ones brain with complexity. Nurgle on chaos side, Nighthaunt and ironjawz probably will do fine as babys first army

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
What armies DO destroy one's brain with complexity?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I don't know - I don't consider anything about the game hard to wrap head around. Some stuff is just slightly more out there. For example I would not recommend starting with tzeentch or daughters of khaine as a begginner.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Re beginners, I'm really struggling with new CoS as a beginner, requires a lot of synergy that soulblight vamp hero spam or Dino hordes doesn't. Also seems a lot more janky at 1000pts without allies, and beginners like low pts.

But drat they look fine

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
tzeentch previous to the current battletome had a *lot* of poo poo you had to keep track of.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I don't think armies that are complicated "in play" are a detriment to a new player. For what you spend and the time you put into an army you'll figure it out after a few games. It's not rocket science.

The thing I would tell people to avoid is armies with complexity in the build. Armies where there is little flexibility in the build of a reasonable 2k pt list. Nothing worse than buying mostly stuff you think looks cool then realizing you have an absolute turd to play with.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't think how new you are matters so much as how often you will play. A lot of people only play a couple of games a year, and so never get the reps in for their complex army. And once they've got a handful of games, there's a new edition or battletome or general's handbook or what have you. So these people are stuck in perpetuity being overwhelmed by their complex army.

If you think you'll play a lot, then picking a complex first army is fine. If you play four games per year, then picking a simpler one is probably wise.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There are also some armies (Kruleboyz and Nighthaunt come to mind) that aren't necessarily *tricky*, but can be very unforgiving if you don't have a good grasp on setup and movement - they tend to have herohammer builds that rely on fragile buff pieces, and if your opponent pops those pieces or you don't do a good job of staying in range of the buffs, your army kinda falls apart. Idoneth also has some very glass cannon builds that can get absolutely smoked if you misjudge your opponent's threat range or don't get enough reps in to get a good handle on the tide mechanic / how to plan for and mitigate double turns.

I don't think any army I've tried has been too terribly difficult to get my head around, but there are definitely some that will let you recover from a mistake much easier.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just realized Thundrik's Profiteers aren't available from GW anymore and I'm very sad.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

WHU bands are one and done prints. They rarely produce more of them after initial release. I had to stab-eat few man-things to get new skaven band

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

WHU bands are one and done prints. They rarely produce more of them after initial release. I had to stab-eat few man-things to get new skaven band

Didn't they recently announce that they're re-releasing some of the warbands sans cards? I think the Skittershank Clawpack was one of them, actually, along with a few odd choices like the Ogor pirate crew that just recently went OOP. I think a couple warbands also got reprinted through that Stormbringer magazine - they haven't hit in the US yet, but I know Zarbag's Gitz and Mollog's Mob recently came out in the UK as part of that subscription.

edit: Speaking of the Skaven warband in particular, hot tip for anyone else that wants one but doesn't want to pay scalper prices: they are still available on Amazon through the Rivals of Nethermaze box set - it's $60 but you get the Shadowstalkers warband too.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 15, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

They typically do a release, sans cards pack tho

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They have been in the partworks as well.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Those cardless releases tend to only stick around for a while as well, a bunch of the older ones went last-chance-to-buy a while back

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I had a really horrible thought on my commute yesterday and now I'm going to inflict it on you all.

Monsters are still bad. GW seems to think they're a huge threat in play, given how many monster hunter heroes and special abilities are out there. Outside of the VLoZD, I can't tell you the last time I felt intimidated by anything with the Monster keyword, and I'm a giant scrub. Monstrous Rampages key off really awkward timing, and none of them are ever as good as Roar.

If you want monsters to be impactful and unique, let's have a new phase. Dump monstrous actions altogether and stick the Monster Phase in between shooting and the regular charge phase. They can charge and move by themselves, getting a sort of strike first thing going. But the tradeoff is that they won't be able to activate in the regular charge and combat phases, and they can still get pincushioned in the shooting phase. It'd generate timing puzzles and make people think about committing their big expensive dragon or whatever for a possible major attack that could very easily leave them overextended.

SBG and SCE oops-all-dragons makes this an awful idea, but I find it kinda compelling in the context of some of the more neglected monsters in basically every other army.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

grassy gnoll posted:

I had a really horrible thought on my commute yesterday and now I'm going to inflict it on you all.

Monsters are still bad. GW seems to think they're a huge threat in play, given how many monster hunter heroes and special abilities are out there. Outside of the VLoZD, I can't tell you the last time I felt intimidated by anything with the Monster keyword, and I'm a giant scrub. Monstrous Rampages key off really awkward timing, and none of them are ever as good as Roar.

If you want monsters to be impactful and unique, let's have a new phase. Dump monstrous actions altogether and stick the Monster Phase in between shooting and the regular charge phase. They can charge and move by themselves, getting a sort of strike first thing going. But the tradeoff is that they won't be able to activate in the regular charge and combat phases, and they can still get pincushioned in the shooting phase. It'd generate timing puzzles and make people think about committing their big expensive dragon or whatever for a possible major attack that could very easily leave them overextended.

SBG and SCE oops-all-dragons makes this an awful idea, but I find it kinda compelling in the context of some of the more neglected monsters in basically every other army.

A guy at my club has some kind of multiple Treeman list for his Sylvaneth that's tricky to deal with because of all the teleportation and movement tricks, but they're less scary because of the monster-specific stuff and more because you can use Sylvaneth to dump a big anvil unit in melee, then a big block of heavy infantry, and it all just disappears into an LOS-blocking wood afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I don't think the game needs an entire new phase to fix monsters.

Just move monstrous rampages to when the monster activates in combat and give monsters stats that are actually good. Bing bang boom job's a good 'un.