Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

britishbornandbread posted:

I guess I am still not over bret not winning 97

Had Bret won, we would've been deprived of Bret vs. Austin several months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus. More sandbags than a flooded area.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Gonz posted:

Had Bret won, we would've been deprived of Bret vs. Austin several months later.

perhaps, but then Montreal doesn't happen and the downward spiral is at very worst delayed. bret v Shawn 2 would've been great.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

perhaps, but then Montreal doesn't happen and the downward spiral is at very worst delayed. bret v Shawn 2 would've been great.

Not necessarily. When two guys legitimately hate each other they often don't wrestle good matches against each other.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

How does Bret winning the Rumble stop Michaels from losing his smile and Taker/Sid becoming the title program exactly in your fantasy booking?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

another woman trained by bryan danielson???

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

HerraS posted:

How does Bret winning the Rumble stop Michaels from losing his smile and Taker/Sid becoming the title program exactly in your fantasy booking?

yeah good point. I'm relying on everyone playing nicely. suppose you could have had bret win and still get the Mania we got.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Hoss Corncave posted:

Not necessarily. When two guys legitimately hate each other they often don't wrestle good matches against each other.

survivor series 97 was a half decent match before....y'know...

Kingston hates Punk and they had a good match the other year, no? I'd agree though that positive relationships between talent is much preferable, but there's always something to be said for a bit of tension/needle. Suppose we will see when we get Rollins v Punk.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bret Shawn 1 was technically Survivor Series '92, and then their 2nd singles match (televised, I'm ignoring the house show loops they did) was on a '94 episode of Wrestling Challenge. THEN you get to the Mania iron man match.

Wait, no, I'm wrong, Bret vs Shawn 1 was on Wrestling Challenge in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvntoyyydLE. So long ago that they were accompanied to the ring by Neidhart & Jannetty respectively. So I guess the Iron Man match was #4 & the Montreal Screwjob was #5

survivor series 97 was a half decent match before....y'know...

Kingston hates Punk and they had a good match the other year, no? I'd agree though that positive relationships between talent is much preferable, but there's always something to be said for a bit of tension/needle. Suppose we will see when we get Rollins v Punk.

Yeah, sometimes guys can be professional. I assume it's easier for Eddie Kingston because he seems to hate everyone, but despite that he & Chris Hero had some awesome violent brawls on the indies 15+ years ago where they tried to murder each other. Their wild Last Man Standing Match at the 2007 Ted Petty Invitational finals is burned into my brain. Kawada & Misawa had legit heat but you look at the top 15 rated matches of Kawada's on Cagematch & 11 of them feature Misawa as a partner or opponent (mostly opponent), some of the greatest wrestling matches of all time.

But sometimes you get CM Punk & Ryback and it's dogshit. Or when Matt Hardy came back to the WWE after the whole Edge & Lita affair & his gross overreaction, nobody talks fondly about the Edge & Hardy stuff from that era.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 12, 2023

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Bret Shawn 1 was technically Survivor Series '92, and then their 2nd singles match (televised, I'm ignoring the house show loops they did) was on a '94 episode of Wrestling Challenge. THEN you get to the Mania iron man match.

Wait, no, I'm wrong, Bret vs Shawn 1 was on Wrestling Challenge in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvntoyyydLE. So long ago that they were accompanied to the ring by Neidhart & Jannetty respectively. So I guess the Iron Man match was #4 & the Montreal Screwjob was #5

thank you for sharing this match. had not seen it before.

of course, when I say Bret v Shawn 2 I mean Mania main events. Bret writes in his book about a plan (though not sure if it was THE plan) being Bret winning at 13, and then Bret passing the torch to Shawn at 14, losing the series 2-1. even as the biggest Hart Mark in the world, this sounds a bit overkill. the job Shawn does handing the torch to Austin at 14 is enough to kick off their biggest boom period, so fair enough, but I do always wish it could have been Bret putting over Austin at 14 to really bring their feud to an end.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punk/Rollins segment was good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NienNunb posted:

Punk/Rollins segment was good.

I too liked when Hangman cut that promo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I too liked when Hangman cut that promo.

Rollins really should try to learn from the master, try stammering or not making eye contact. Maybe limply punch himself in the head, really drive it home.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seth “Weepin” Rollins????

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
hangman 'freakin' page

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

Rollins really should try to learn from the master, try stammering or not making eye contact. Maybe limply punch himself in the head, really drive it home.

Seth at least has the brains that when he gets a courtesy world title run not to start shooting on bigger stars

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hangman Adam Page is better in every single way than CM Punk. I will not be taking further questions

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah, Hangman has done some funny stuff but CM Punk is a comedy legend

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shard posted:

Hangman Adam Page is better in every single way than CM Punk. I will not be taking further questions

i have no questions other than to say "'lol"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i have no questions other than to say "'lol"

:rubby:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

whom is "hangman adam page" i only know "the miz"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have no qualms with the Seth part of the promo. I just think it's extremely funny how blatantly corporate and disingenuous this whole thing is to the point that I swear WWE is doing everything in their power to Just Another Guy a guy who at one point felt impossible to do that to. They had him come out and apologize for walking out, the situation that at least partially made him that martyr with the mystique that kept people chanting his name, because he was absolutely in the right that entire time. And then he actually cut a Happy To Be Here promo where he shook hands with the GM and proclaimed he was "home" and called himself a "Superstar", not two years after his big impassioned "I'm back in Pro Wrestling" speech. This is less me making fun of Punk and more me absolutely enthralled at the lengths WWE is going and the line he's very clearly being forced to walk to get the SLOM.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I have no qualms with the Seth part of the promo. I just think it's extremely funny how blatantly corporate and disingenuous this whole thing is to the point that I swear WWE is doing everything in their power to Just Another Guy a guy who at one point felt impossible to do that to. They had him come out and apologize for walking out, the situation that at least partially made him that martyr with the mystique that kept people chanting his name, because he was absolutely in the right that entire time. And then he actually cut a Happy To Be Here promo where he shook hands with the GM and proclaimed he was "home" and called himself a "Superstar", not two years after his big impassioned "I'm back in Pro Wrestling" speech. This is less me making fun of Punk and more me absolutely enthralled at the lengths WWE is going and the line he's very clearly being forced to walk to get the SLOM.

Yeah it's kinda great

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What is a SLOM?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Oh my god, SLOM

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you will surely get the SLOM

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby: at everything there including/especially Seth getting to point out that a) this is his last chance and everybody knows it, and b) he only got to crawl back here because everybody knows this is his last chance

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Shard posted:

I like Hangman a lot, but no, Punk is way better at all of the out of ring stuff. I'd give Hangman the edge in ring, just due to athleticism, but Punk is really good at laying out a match too

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He certainly is with that mortgage!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What is a SLOM?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
You get SLOM when you get to the Pape duh

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

???

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Punk ain't winning the Rumble, he's getting his title shot via Elimination Chamber win in Saudi, where he'll pose with Vince, the royal family, and the Orb

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
SummerSLOM

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Three Mile Island: Adam SLOM.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I definitely know what SLOM is but if someone could explain for all the poor uneducated fools here, I would but im on the bus

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Come on and SLOM! And welcome to the JOM!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Without "abbreviation", the top 30 results are all about this kpop beats man:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

S
L
O
M