Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
From this inteview with sam.

quote:

The fact that Dropout is mostly unscripted content — is that just a reflection of the fact that you started with seven people and no one had time to write a series?
When we started Dropout, we very intentionally had two types of content: longer-form, less expensive, more personality-based stuff, and shorter-form, more premium scripted stuff. The idea was that scripted was going to be our acquisition tool and unscripted was going to be a retention tool. What we immediately found was that unscripted did both, while scripted did neither.

Will there ever be a place for more scripted material on Dropout?
I could imagine dipping our toe in scripted again, if budgets allow. I think as creative people, it’s inevitable. Like moths to the flame, we can’t resist it, and I know that some of the audience misses it. They’ve said so — they miss sketch on the platform. But it will be a very cautious move when we get there. Our experience has been that we put a lot of work into it and then if it doesn’t work, it can be really discouraging. So we’re going to do it carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It makes sense. The company was going to cease to exist when Sam took over. And then Covid happened. He would have been extremely limited in the type of content he could make.

It’s insane that he’s been so successful, period.

Also, I got curious how much Sam used to appear in sketches in the CollegeHumor days, so I went looking on YouTube and stumbled on this video: https://youtu.be/6nUk3UzVRPs?si=Rk2qvTegaNfh7cs9.

He looks so different now. I guess some intense food allergies will do that to you. Also contains some good Sam trivia: he was an extra in GTA: San Andreas. He says “you can beat me up on a golf course”.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sam's been posting some one-man sketch type stuff on TikTok/YT as well.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Gaz-L posted:

Can I just post the whole playlist of Brennan's CEO ones?

I've been thinking about this one a lot ever since they announced Mr. Birchum:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=slT5WcWNq_s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The GoFundMe one is the one that hits me both in the funny bone but also as legit satire that is barely exaggerated

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fobby posted:

I've been thinking about this one a lot ever since they announced Mr. Birchum:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=slT5WcWNq_s

Haha yeah it's just the daily wire production lineup

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

kiminewt posted:

Didn't really like the new Make Some Noise episode. I'm not into musical theatre though I did like the last karaoke they did, maybe it's the lack of points?
I’m still ensorcelled by musical improv, so I enjoyed it. But I do think it wasn’t quite as much fun as the previous two, mainly because Ross and Rashawn (and then Wayne Brady) were so spot on with their impressions. Jess in particular is great, but to me she mostly just sounds like Jess in anything she sings.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I watched the latest Dirty Laundry, and I gotta ask: what kind of 13 year old shaves their pubes?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

kiminewt posted:

I watched the latest Dirty Laundry, and I gotta ask: what kind of 13 year old shaves their pubes?

The kind that's on their swim team.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You’re hornier than you ever have been and ever will be with no outlet. You’ve just started shaving, or at least think you should be shaving if you’re a guy. You lack all common sense and good judgement.

Seems like a perfect time to shave your pubes to me.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

https://mashable.com/article/game-changer-dropout-sam-reich-interview

Nice writeup on our favorite game show

quote:

"When we were originally developing the show, and as we got into later seasons, we were sort of concerned that that level of discomfort wouldn't necessarily be fun to watch. But this next season, we're sort of affectionately nicknaming the mindfuck season of the show. We keep players in discomfort for longer this season than I think we've ever dared to in any other season."

(For die-hard viewers out there, this includes a season premiere that apparently frustrates Brennan Lee Mulligan to no end. "The Game Changer fans seem to love it, for whatever reason, when episodes are devoted to making Brennan upset. And I think we found a whole new way to do that," Reich divulged. "This one isn't quite as explicitly a troll, but it's a good one.")

Oh my......

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 10, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What is left to roast Brennan over? Lord of the Rings maybe? Also, they have to have some insight into why fans love when they gently caress with Brennan, especially given how much he plays up his antagonistic persona on Um...Actually episodes by being kind of a smarmy dick about being right and winning but brilliantly balancing it out by also being a tremendously nice, cool guy most of the time even on that show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 10, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Brennen is the nicest possible guy that I love to see lose. It’s a paradox.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe some kind of game where Brennan is forced to watch but not allowed to participate even when it's something he's good at?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
More rare birds

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, a 'wrong answers only' quiz with stuff about birds and fantasy and history. So Brennan has to give incorrect info about stuff he loves to win.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He would die.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

A buzz in quiz where all the questions are in his wheelhouse but only the second person to buzz in can answer, and Sam only responds with incorrect answers to incorrect answers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

He would die.

Sam: "Complete this phrase: All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"
Brennan: "The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost!"
Sam: "I'm afraid that's correct, Brennan, no points and I'll throw it out to the other players to steal..."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gaz-L posted:

The GoFundMe one is the one that hits me both in the funny bone but also as legit satire that is barely exaggerated

The skype one is incredible and probably just a documentary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:siren::siren:IT'S HAPPENING:siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZSmxmxWl4

(Only thing I can pick out for sure is a Newlywed Game style thing, seemingly with Elaine hosting alongside Sam?)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gaz-L posted:

(Only thing I can pick out for sure is a Newlywed Game style thing, seemingly with Elaine hosting alongside Sam?)

Saw Deal or No Deal, and Sam Says as well

(God I love Wysocki)

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Gaz-L posted:

Just when I think "oh it's a silly improv game show" this show just enters this DARK SPIRAL and I am equal parts scared, and excited.

E: Also

DO SOMETHING GREAT FOR THE TRAILER

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 11, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
When will Dropout give me Wysocki vs. Gabrus? I don't care what show. I need them to meet and compete.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seeing Caldwell in the trailer puts me one step closer to NADDPOD on D20

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NieR Occomata posted:

Seeing Caldwell in the trailer puts me one step closer to NADDPOD on D20

I feel like I’ve brought up the lack of Jake on Dropout before, but dang I want him on Gamechanger

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Awkward Davies posted:

I feel like I’ve brought up the lack of Jake on Dropout before, but dang I want him on Gamechanger

You know, I was trying to think of what Jake might love that Brennan has no interest in so they could compete in an episode or something but now it's just making me think that I want an episode where Brennan is given forewarning on an "Um...Actually" episode that it'll be about a specific sport of some kind and a bet he can't win it or something and he has one week or one month to crunch on that sport before competing with two actual fans to see if he can out trivia them. I don't even know off the top of my head if Jake is into sports, though I know he's mentioned working out and surfing in non-main episodes before, but god I want to see Brennan try to mainline something like hockey or boxing to try and win some dumbass prize.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

You know, I was trying to think of what Jake might love that Brennan has no interest in so they could compete in an episode or something but now it's just making me think that I want an episode where Brennan is given forewarning on an "Um...Actually" episode that it'll be about a specific sport of some kind and a bet he can't win it or something and he has one week or one month to crunch on that sport before competing with two actual fans to see if he can out trivia them. I don't even know off the top of my head if Jake is into sports, though I know he's mentioned working out and surfing in non-main episodes before, but god I want to see Brennan try to mainline something like hockey or boxing to try and win some dumbass prize.

I guess bringing Jake into Um, Actually for an animorphs specific episode would be too mean

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brennan on a wrestling episode of Um Actually.

Ooh, or musical theatre with Grant and Siobahn!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Awkward Davies posted:

I guess bringing Jake into Um, Actually for an animorphs specific episode would be too mean

Can we get him and Brennan on a Lord of the Rings episode? Jake loves those movies, but I'm pretty sure he knows gently caress all about them beyond that they're good movies he enjoys watching, so he'd be lost on even the simplest trivia and I want to see Brennan's frustration as Jake struggles with even the simplest of questions.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Jake would have been an expert, he would read all the books. EXCEPT MURH RUINED IT.

Coincidentally, Brennan does give off Tobias energy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bring Jake on Um, Actually for an Animorphs, Frozen II, anime, and video games episode. They begin to phrase a DnD question but it’s actually a Baldur’s Gate 3 question.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know who this Jake is but I would quadruple my Dropout subscription to get an Animorphs Um Actually episode.

A different person I would like to see on a Dropout show though is Shayne Topp from iCarly. Even if he laughs too much.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 12, 2023

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kiminewt posted:

I don't know who this Jake is but I would quadruple my Dropout subscription to get an Animorphs Um Actually episode.

A different person I would like to see on a Dropout show though is Shayne Topp from iCarly. Even if he laughs too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9RYt7big1c

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
https://youtu.be/mdBPMvUgp_A?si=scGgqP8GHPj-N3q4

https://youtu.be/X-sa7Yy7LYU?si=Wds_xg05hfUGl4AR

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kiminewt posted:

To add to the other poster: Jake Hurwitz is a CollegeHumor alum. He co-founded the Headgum Podcast network, which features the actual play podcast “Not Another D&D Podcast” (or “NADDPOD”). NADDPOD stars Brian Murphy, Emily Axford, Caldwell Tanner and Jake. Obviously Murph and Emily are OG Dimension 20 stars. Caldwell is involved with Dropout through a number of their shows. Jake, as far as I know, hasn’t been involved with Dropout since it was dumped by IAC and Sam took over.

NADDPOD started the same year as D20, so it’s been around for a while. They were fairly high on the Patreon rankings at some point (very successful, in other words), I’m not sure where they sit now.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jake & his whole family are serial entrepreneurs so it's not surprising if Jake is too insanely busy to do much Dropout stuff.

Also a running gag on Naddpod is bullying Jake because he's the 'normie' Naddpod cast member. Every episode of 8 bit book club they introduce him as a first time guest and insist they have no recollection of him being on the show before.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xand_Man posted:

Jake & his whole family are serial entrepreneurs so it's not surprising if Jake is too insanely busy to do much Dropout stuff.

Also a running gag on Naddpod is bullying Jake because he's the 'normie' Naddpod cast member. Every episode of 8 bit book club they introduce him as a first time guest and insist they have no recollection of him being on the show before.

There's also a running joke that his wife, Jill, cucks him with a fictional guy called Tucker that ran so long and so hard that people started expressing actual concern for Jake on the Patreon feed. As is, Jake appears more invested in the gag than anyone and enjoys his characters being the butt of the joke and undermined at almost every turn. His level 20 demigod fighter who fought toe to toe with Gods and saved the world is also a complete social goober who has the mind of a 13 year old boy for the most part. He has no idea how to talk to women, and at is currently obsessed with beans because of a throwaway gag Jake used to establish how low the character had fallen by showing him eating beans from the tin.

Jake is a treasure, and playing the first episode of NADDPoD recorded was his first DnD experience ever, with his first line being "I drink in the fiddle" after Murph takes time to establish a generic fantasy pub. He has admitted that he thought his character should be an established hero and badass at level 1 when he came into it, but immediately got past that preconception and ran with the gag when he completely failed to get his big, brawny character up a simple climb. Watching him evolve as a player is a treat.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 12, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

One of my favorite bits is when they revisit their first arc with level 15 alternate characters from a different campaign that are, essentially, The Worst People You’ve Ever Met and Murph’s first action is to sarcastically go “I drink in the sounds of the fiddle”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Next season key art