Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Eavey Metal uses Khorne Red for a lot of shading (they rarely use Shades), you could try that.

My go-to for red to orange is Mephiston, 1:1 Mephiston and Wild Rider, Wild Rider, 1:1 Wild raider and Fire Dragon, then just dot highlight Fire Dragon. Less is more, imo, but ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Are they proper stone pieces of petrified wood, or are they just super weathered and dried out chunks of dead wood?

The latter. They're quite crumbly, so I think reinforcing with PVA glue is the way to go. I'm also going to be in the forest again soon, so will keep a beady eye out for more. There's been a lot of cutting recently, so should have quite a lot of stuff to scavenge.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finally put some paint onto my first proper raven guard, starting with a sergeant, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to the feathers

I want it to be dark raven/crow like feathers, but have no idea how I'm gonna make it look good- maybe I want some green shade instead of the purple I've started with, no idea

I'm excited about painting those kitbashed lightning claws, though!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dark grey base and then green grey highlights?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My trick for black birds is to paint it all black, then layer a dark grey, then mix blue into the dark grey and do highlights, then green into the dark grey for more highlights.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Radiation Cow posted:

The latter. They're quite crumbly, so I think reinforcing with PVA glue is the way to go. I'm also going to be in the forest again soon, so will keep a beady eye out for more. There's been a lot of cutting recently, so should have quite a lot of stuff to scavenge.

A better way to reinforce wood is to use thin superglue. It soaks right in and forms a hard shell. No frosting because it soaks in but you'll need to matte coat it because it will be super glossy afterwards.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Finally put some paint onto my first proper raven guard, starting with a sergeant, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to the feathers

I want it to be dark raven/crow like feathers, but have no idea how I'm gonna make it look good- maybe I want some green shade instead of the purple I've started with, no idea

I'm excited about painting those kitbashed lightning claws, though!
If you've got some maybe you can run some thinned down black templar contrast (which is kind of a green black) over your existing purplish feathers as I think that'll probably make the colour a bit darker with slightly less purple showing through (but I still really like what you have as a base). Raven feathers also tend to be fairly glossy so depending on whether you were going to varnish the model you could consider brush painting either some satin varnish (if you're using a matte varnish for the rest of the model) or gloss varnish over the top.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

"show me your war face"

this is like a 1993 space marine sergeant that I got off of ebay, soaked in 91% IPA, and tried by best at to do a Night Lords that people think is Emperors Children. I got more tac marines to paint, figure it was good to pick them up because of the primas marines, I got this guy for like 2 bux

edt. I got a couple of kill teams to paint, but I picked up these tac marines to experiment with color schemes on cheap models

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Kylaer posted:

So here is a picture of a model I just did a few strokes on, with Ultramarine Blue contrast on one side and Black Templar contrast on the other, over Wraithbone primer

It beaded up and then got streaky. There's some Army Painter metallic on the back of the gun that seemed to stick a little better.

Here's a tiny thing I primed and then sloshed with Space Wolf Grey contrast and some Army Painter metallic for the gun barrel. The metallic I'm satisfied with and the grey is...okay, good enough I guess, but it doesn't look right.

I did see when I looked online that some images of the Wraithbone spray specify that it's a contrast undercoat on the can, and some don't. The can I have doesn't say Contrast Undercoat, does that mean it's an old formula and isn't appropriate?

I also have absolutely no idea how thick is the right thickness to spray primer on, is it supposed to be just a vague dusting or is it supposed to coat it fully? Is there a brush-on alternative primer? I'm willing to spend extra time versus a spray primer in order to eliminate a variable that's messing me up.

You've got a lot of good feedback already, and I'm no expert, but 1) definitely don't start spraying directly at the mini, you want to be around 15cm away and start to the side then pass it over in short bursts. 2) Contrasts generally struggle over wide flat surfaces, but do well in lots of detailed crevasses (they're designed to run down and pool in lower areas, creating natural highs/lows) - while a flat surface will let it pool into splotches like in your second tank. You need to move them around a bit and also pick up any pools on flat/inappropriate locations.

A long but good video, Vince V is a bit dry but he knows what the gently caress he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jla40wPw7_U

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

A better way to reinforce wood is to use thin superglue. It soaks right in and forms a hard shell. No frosting because it soaks in but you'll need to matte coat it because it will be super glossy afterwards.

Oh sweet, this sounds like it will be a lot faster and hopefully less messy!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've tried black legion contrast and found it alternated between a too light grey and a gooped on mess, maybe that's just an execution error? Anytime I tried painting them a conventional black I struggled to edge highlight in grey without it looking too harsh. Maybe I need an off black and then hit it with Nuln Oil?

That’s a bit odd, black legion is really black, it’s not even really a contrast effect paint it should just give you a solid flat black coat. If you’re struggling with edge highlighting bolters try doing a broken chipped highlight with a light grey or steel colour. By that I mean rather than crisply trying to do eavy metal style lines just go along an edge doing small random dings, it’s significantly easier and looks pretty right for stuff like gun casings.

Edit: I did these guys ages ago doing what I described on the guns and swords, you’ll have to zoom in a bit. https://www.instagram.com/p/CUR9VPvNw7y/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

If you poke around the black on the krieg is just edged using ironbreaker the same way.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 13, 2023

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So in addition to the gold that I actually used on my Saurus, I also bought a pot of... I think its name was Sigmarite. When I opened it though, I found that its consistency is most easily described as "sponge cake". I can poke it with my finger and it springs back to shape while barely leaving a trace. Do I just add water to turn it back into paint, or do I just write it off?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Lord of Hats posted:

So in addition to the gold that I actually used on my Saurus, I also bought a pot of... I think its name was Sigmarite. When I opened it though, I found that its consistency is most easily described as "sponge cake". I can poke it with my finger and it springs back to shape while barely leaving a trace. Do I just add water to turn it back into paint, or do I just write it off?

You've bought a "dry" paint, which is supposed to be specifically for drybrushing with.

Try experimenting with it, but personally I think they're a waste of time and prefer to use normal paints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's a dry paint. There's a whole line of them and they're a lifesaver if you need to mass drybrush something like terrain. They're probably not as good as drybrushing with regular paint since you can't control the consistency that well, but they're extremely convenient to use. Stab paint with brush gently, swish on paper towel/texture palette and then drybrush away.

Gold is probably not as good since you typically highlight gold with silver. I would recommend Terminatus Stone (warm off-white), Longbeard Grey (cool off-white) and Necron Compound (silver) as the most useful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A fun easy way to paint gold is to use a yellowish contrast (iyanden, agaros dunes etc) and then drybrush gold over it. However, I find the GW dry paints to be completely worthless and unusable junk that doesn't even fulfill the task that it sets out to do. You can totally try to make it work and recoup those $6 you spent on it, or give it a shot and if it's too difficult just throw it away and get a gold that you can use in a variety of places.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Continuing my drybrush phase with more Orcs.

Debating whether to continue drybrushing metals or try my hand at highlighting them instead. Drybrushing is so much easier, but I think I can get a better finish if I really learned to highlight/blend.

This one absolutely refuses to wear the yellow company uniform and is creating quite the scandal at the local Orc camp.

4 more models left to paint!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I still haven't primed my Palatine because I wanted to double-check that a couple of spots were intentional instead of mould lines.

Because I was nervous at the thought of taking on faces, I ordered a number of head bits. I figured it would be both a means to practice and that if I had a bunch, I could just use the ones that turned out well.

It seems the obvious thing to do with them would be cementing them to a sprue and prime them. Would it be wise to separate them to different sprues or holders when it comes time to paint them individually, or would it not matter as long as I allow them enough spacing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Grab some wine corks, stab sprue into them, get some sticky tac and slap those heads on.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You can also use a pin vice to put a hole in their neck and mount them on toothpicks like Vlad the impaler

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

After transferring 20 pots to dropper bottles, I think I'll make sure to buy paint in dropper bottles in the future.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

A fun easy way to paint gold is to use a yellowish contrast (iyanden, agaros dunes etc) and then drybrush gold over it. However, I find the GW dry paints to be completely worthless and unusable junk that doesn't even fulfill the task that it sets out to do. You can totally try to make it work and recoup those $6 you spent on it, or give it a shot and if it's too difficult just throw it away and get a gold that you can use in a variety of places.

I've found the ones I've named to be excellent and far more convenient and reliable than the equivalent non-dry paint. You don't get as much control since the consistency is set but when you're drybrushing terrain or 20 mechs it's a godsend.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

WIP of my little free tank

I’m thinking about hitting the edges with some brown and minimal metal, some precise shading

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
These tiny models next to pennies haunt me
I close my eyes and I see pennies
I look at my painting desk and it's pennies
Mother calls, I try to answer but only pennies come out
Helpennies me pennielease

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It’s kind of hard to see from this angle but… let’s just say… Professor Shark drills his barrels :mario:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This 'hobby' makes me penniless

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Added three new tiny space-boats to my collection.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lostconfused posted:

After transferring 20 pots to dropper bottles, I think I'll make sure to buy paint in dropper bottles in the future.

Consider yourself lucky for discovering this early

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cardboard Fox posted:

Debating whether to continue drybrushing metals or try my hand at highlighting them instead. Drybrushing is so much easier, but I think I can get a better finish if I really learned to highlight/blend.

Drybrushing is a form of highlighting. Edge highlighting is just "I can't be bothered to remove the excess paint and moisture on the brush, so I'll just be super careful instead".

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added three new tiny space-boats to my collection.

Needs some pennies.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Drybrushing is a form of highlighting. Edge highlighting is just "I can't be bothered to remove the excess paint and moisture on the brush, so I'll just be super careful instead".

But there's also volumetric highlighting, which is typically where getting smooth blends is more valuable. And drybrushing starts to lose its value a bit.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

Needs some pennies.

do people generally paint their pennies with metallics, or is NMM the name of the game

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bohemian Nights posted:

do people generally paint their pennies with metallics, or is NMM the name of the game

Spray undercoat dark angels green, then a heavy dry brush of a couple of different brass paints, and an extremely light final dry brush of silver. Hit it with a black wash and you're done

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Now I want to paint an NMM penny.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Needs some pennies.

Challenge accepted!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

mllaneza posted:

Radiation Cow posted:

But there's also volumetric highlighting, which is typically where getting smooth blends is more valuable. And drybrushing starts to lose its value a bit.

I think I'm just having inconsistencies with drybrushing, which is why I'm debating the whole thing. The concept is really cool, and when it works it can look really good.

If we look at the shields below, I really like how drybrushing can bring out a subtle worn metal that would be difficult to recreate with a regular painting method:

But then when I try this technique on a larger model...

Well, it's not great....

The main issue is the amount of surface area that I need to dry brush. Some of the larger areas become "overbrushed" to the point where I should have just applied a normal layer of gold.

Now, I know I can fix this by using sub-assembly painting. However, subbing each armor piece on 10 models is a lot of work.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Challenge accepted!

That's amazing, particularly the Taihou. 3d printed?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think I'm just having inconsistencies with drybrushing, which is why I'm debating the whole thing. The concept is really cool, and when it works it can look really good.

If we look at the shields below, I really like how drybrushing can bring out a subtle worn metal that would be difficult to recreate with a regular painting method:

Well, it's not great....

The main issue is the amount of surface area that I need to dry brush. Some of the larger areas become "overbrushed" to the point where I should have just applied a normal layer of gold.

Now, I know I can fix this by using sub-assembly painting. However, subbing each armor piece on 10 models is a lot of work.

I think it actually looks fairly good on the armor panels right now, and if you block in the leather details or fabric details like the leggings and undershirt along with the pleats around the waist it would probably look fine.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Drybrush, then shade with something like Reikland Fleshshade or Guilliman Flesh, then go back and highlight with the original gold. Or use the gold to reestablish your midtone on the flat panels and highlight with silver. Either way, shading after drybrushing will bring depth back to the curved surfaces and shallow recesses.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cardboard Fox posted:

Well, it's not great....

Your Stormcast looks kick rear end, actually and I agree with the above posters. Block in the details, hit it with some kind of wash to bring out the details and then do a very light drybrush on top over again and I think you will be much happier with the result. Unless you're a weirdo like David Soper or Richard Gray who basically paint an an arm or torso to completion in one go your miniatures will also look janky as hell while WIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

That's amazing, particularly the Taihou. 3d printed?

Yeah, everything except the Fortress-class and the Blockade Runner is 3D printed.

They're all 1:1000, which shows how much space a 'mech actually takes up in a 30 meter hex; and why the Taihou is such a menace. It's 1/4th the length of a Sovetskii Soyuz and nearly matches the length of the smallest Corvettes (like the Pinto and the Vigilant)

I have the files for a Mammoth but it's too big for my printer. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 14, 2023