Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was about to post about the NHL cap/floor but then I remembered this poo poo sucks!! I feel like Ricky Bobby on the phone with Cal right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NBA has something like a floor. I think they are the only one
the NFL floor is like 90% of the cap or something

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

we have at least a few others

here's another avatar someone should use:

here's another one

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ohtani messed up deferring all this money because we'll be in a guzzoline barter town system from Mad Max before it kicks in

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Nodoze posted:

No, why would it be?

It'd be like playing daily fantasy where you get a top player for $1 while everyone else would be expected to pay $35.

Again, that's in a "perfectly smooth sphere" type hypothetical league. Any current MLB owner could've paid Shohei $70 mil a year straight up or given him the same deal the Dodgers did with a commitment to spend equivalent money on top FAs, but they would never entertain the thought. My point was I can understand why a lot of fans have a knee-jerk "Ugh the Dodgers are really getting away with one" reaction, but like most MLB competitive balance issues, it's not the 5 teams trying to win that are the problem, it's the 25 that aren't.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NBA has something like a floor. I think they are the only one

The NBA has a hard salary floor. Like if you're below it you have to pay the players extra until you reach it

The NFL has kind of a salary floor but it's an average over a number of years, not year to year

I think it's either every four or five years where the average salary over that time needs to reach the floor, so you can be below it some years if you're above it by enough others and instead of having to pay extra IIRC you lose draft picks for violating it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/DidthePhilslose/status/1734371892037861744

Would Ohtani's contract be insured in the event of bankruptcy?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bregor posted:

I was about to post about the NHL cap/floor but then I remembered this poo poo sucks!! I feel like Ricky Bobby on the phone with Cal right now

Ya the NHL has a salary floor as well as the NBA and NFL

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Red posted:

Pretty sure the current line of thinking is that he would be a leading debtor that once the team sells would be paid out by the next ownership group or would have enough stake to become a minority owner

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone please sign a baseball player or do a trade

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

It'd be like playing daily fantasy where you get a top player for $1 while everyone else would be expected to pay $35.

Again, that's in a "perfectly smooth sphere" type hypothetical league. Any current MLB owner could've paid Shohei $70 mil a year straight up or given him the same deal the Dodgers did with a commitment to spend equivalent money on top FAs, but they would never entertain the thought. My point was I can understand why a lot of fans have a knee-jerk "Ugh the Dodgers are really getting away with one" reaction, but like most MLB competitive balance issues, it's not the 5 teams trying to win that are the problem, it's the 25 that aren't.
in this purely hypothetical realm, the Dodgers would be mortgaging the future to compete in the present, a thing that is widely accepted as an appropriate tradeoff in team building

Red posted:

"This is not far fetched. The Dodgers filed bankruptcy in 2011" And nothing about the team financial structure or ownership group has changed since then. :hmmyes:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

since the Cubs were apparently willing to go 10/500 I think the Dodgers contract should be voided and Ohtani should be awarded to the Cubs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Just remembered the Rangers 2010 bankruptcy when it came out that they still owed money to Mickey Tettleton

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

since the Cubs were apparently willing to go 10/500 I think the Dodgers contract should be voided and Ohtani should be awarded to the Cubs

Hmmm interesting thesis and I have to admit I can find no fault.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

monkey paw curls

Dodgers sign Yamamoto and trade for Glasnow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dodgers saving the Cubs from themselves by trading for Glasnow isn't gonna upset the Cubsposters round these parts

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's your baseball discourse today. You'll be back to contracts and acquisitions soon enough

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1734613071988244777

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

How many prospects is 35 innings of Glasnow worth?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

649 HR lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

he's a catcher you see because real baseballheads know catchers are the quarterbacks of the diamond

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

in this purely hypothetical realm, the Dodgers would be mortgaging the future to compete in the present, a thing that is widely accepted as an appropriate tradeoff in team building

"This is not far fetched. The Dodgers filed bankruptcy in 2011" And nothing about the team financial structure or ownership group has changed since then. :hmmyes:

It's been a while but wasn't their bankruptcy "strategic" by McCourt?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IIRC strategic in the sense that after his divorce he didn't have the money to run the team

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Thank Christ the LA Kings finally won 2 championships in 2012 and 2014 cause there would have been a really good opportunity to do this one with Tom Glavine since he was drafted by the LA Kings in 86 or 87.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Well that's what they play basketball on

I want to give this joke some love.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RealMichaelKay/status/1734605208540635433

wtf

Bregor
May 31, 2013

bawfuls posted:

monkey paw curls

The real monkey paw is wishing to avoid CBT chat and having Tom loving Brady show up

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

secular woods sex posted:

Bring back barnstorming!

my neighbor across the street growing up was an old timer who played ball in the Cardinals minor league system and was on the receiving end of a barnstorming during that time. he said they stood no chance. in short, bring back barnstorming in this post-integration world, indeed

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
michael kay eat the eggs

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

michael kay eat the eggs

lmao

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don’t understand how this is even possible

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

It's been a while but wasn't their bankruptcy "strategic" by McCourt?

Intruder posted:

IIRC strategic in the sense that after his divorce he didn't have the money to run the team
Yes it was 100% self-imposed. He and his wife spent a decade carving up the team's various revenue streams into a bunch of shell companies, then taking out loans against that revenue to buy themselves houses and haircuts and psychic friends on the other side of the country. They leveraged the team to the hilt and then once the divorce started there was no slack in the budget. On top of this, it got to be so much of a circus that the league declined to loan him money to make payroll (as they do all the time to owners they like) and that was the final nail in the coffin.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

proving eggs are bad by eating the part of the egg that doesn't have any flavor

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
egg whites are dogshit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I heard we're mad at baseball owners in here

https://twitter.com/benjpalmer/status/1734408954849931388

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

bawfuls posted:

The MLBTR piece is wrong. It’s a CBT dodge, and that’s a good thing.

Subverting the farcical “competitive balance tax”: cool and good for The Game

Wasting the prime years of Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout with an incompetent organization that can’t assemble a winning team around them: Bad For The Game

The Cubs should take Mike Trout. Not that they’ll pay for him, or that it’ll solve his injury issues.

Red posted:

The Dodgers ain’t going bankrupt, lol. The only way they even sniff anything like that, is if it were intentional/strategic to try and shed some of the long-term deferred obligations, but even then, I imagine if they ever tried anything like that, there’d be a hammer dropped on them the likes of which we’ve never seen.

Which is to say, the whole thing is a really dumb conjecture.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'd be real funny if the Arson Judge veto actually happened, then the Rangers and Dbacks play the worst rated WS of all time, and MLB is like, uh, dodgers and yankees can do whatever they want.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bawfuls posted:

The MLBTR piece is wrong. It’s a CBT dodge, and that’s a good thing.

Subverting the farcical “competitive balance tax”: cool and good for The Game

Wasting the prime years of Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout with an incompetent organization that can’t assemble a winning team around them: Bad For The Game

I feel like it's only in baseball media (as opposed to other sports) that you see this constant ambient anxiety about what's "good for the game".

Let generational players have their careers unfold outside of the spotlight if they want to. Have a handful of franchises that have no fanbase or reason to exist. It's all fine, the game is fine, who gives a poo poo.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 12, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

I feel like it's only in baseball media (as opposed to other sports) that you see this constant ambient anxiety about what's "good for the game".

Let generational players have their careers unfold outside of the spotlight if they want to. Have a handful of franchises that nobody cares about. It's all fine, the game is fine, who gives a poo poo.
absolutely true, see also: all the handwringing about PEDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don’t understand how this is even possible