Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

starfield is no worse than fallout 4 or skyrim but it doesnt have a big franchise name to trick people into thinking it’s good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

starfield is no worse than fallout 4 or skyrim but it doesnt have a big franchise name to trick people into thinking it’s good

People hated him because he told the truth

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
(I think fallout is charming but still)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

it specifically doesn't have a big franchise name because Todd Howard wanted to prove he could make one of his own and he made the exact same bland sci-fi gruel that space games have been making GBS threads out for a decade now

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I feel like the tone of the Starfield conversation would be totally different if they had put in a moon rover vehicle so you’re not spending a lot of your time hoofing it across mostly empty terrain

or, like, made the jet packs good for faster horizontal traversal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I feel like the tone of the Starfield conversation would be totally different if they had put in a moon rover vehicle so you’re not spending a lot of your time hoofing it across mostly empty terrain

isn't slow horizontal movement basically a necessary part of the design? so you don't have to load all the time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

i feel like all that would happen there is people will have realized the pois are picked from like three maps faster

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Visiting the dumbass star temples is exactly like closing Oblivion gates except less interesting because at least the Oblivion gate had about four different variants and enemies to fight.

Instead of being literally taunted like a dog, in precisely the same way, over thousand times.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If your engine means a game developed by 250 people is embarrassed in scope and functionality by a game developed by 20 people half a decade ago, you maybe should consider using a different engine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

what I'm saying is give Sean Murray all of Todd Howard's staff and let's see what he does

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
maybe this avoidable faceplant will finally force them to move to a better engine, I assure myself for the fourth game in a row

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If your engine means a game developed by 250 people is embarrassed in scope and functionality by a game developed by 20 people half a decade ago, you maybe should consider using a different engine

no

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

what I'm saying is give Sean Murray all of Todd Howard's staff and let's see what he does
Implying MDickie wouldn't be the ideal replacement for Howard as Lord Bethesda.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Apparently a big part of the issue is that starfield literally did not have a design document so there was no real communication or consensus on things across the three studios

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

i wish starfield was as good as skyrim or fallout 4, thatd be a massive improvement

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Apparently a big part of the issue is that starfield literally did not have a design document so there was no real communication or consensus on things across the three studios

so the reason it feels like a bunch of generic space assets stapled together is because Todd said "hey go make me a bunch of space stuff, we don't have a space game... this is gonna be a space game we'll figure it out later"?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wish starfield was as good as skyrim or fallout 4, thatd be a massive improvement

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grapplejack posted:

lol do you have a source for this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its definitely better than fallout 4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there are a lot of parts to starfield i really like which is why i dont like that theres no content and no way to make more at this time

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

despite hating the characters and story and aesthetic i would probably still be eating starfield slop if the game world felt worth exploring, but the procedural poo poo means in the entire universe theres like three cities with a combined population of five hundred and then a bunch of cloned points of interest that dont mean anything and arent connected to anything

it got me realizing how much of my fun time in other bgs slop is just wandering around kicking rocks and finding little hand-crafted adventures, which in starfield is replaced with menu navigation and photocopied outposts and bleh :-/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hell im still playing fallout 4 (in vr but still)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I would be more into Starfield as slop if the maps were any good. But they're not and they're a huge step back from the previous games. "See that mountain? You can go climb it" is dead and they exchanged it for having a poo poo load of similar but different maps that are totally empty.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
"See these rich fucks? They're essential npcs you can't harm them."

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I feel like CDProjekt has actually learned pretty well how to make games that have modern gameplay mechanics(you know, combat doesn't suck rear end) while also having an open world with believable scale and interesting exploration.

You don't have every NPC in Night City having their own "detailed" schedule, but the overall illusion of the world is much more solid than recent Bethesda games. They're really stuck in the early 2000's.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'm going to play more Fortnite rocket racing this evening. It's great and I'm liking the track changes going from bronze to silver so far.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm going to play more Fortnite rocket racing this evening. It's great and I'm liking the track changes going from bronze to silver so far.

this is the one mode I haven't done much with yet, might check it out more this week

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is the one mode I haven't done much with yet, might check it out more this week

Out of the new modes I'm enjoying it the most playing solo. It's fun to finish a race and spectate others as they finish, it looks like for a lot of players they've never played a racing game before.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

Out of the new modes I'm enjoying it the most playing solo. It's fun to finish a race and spectate others as they finish, it looks like for a lot of players they've never played a racing game before.

The rhythm game mode is funny because almost every group i'm in has one guy playing on expert hitting 100% of notes and then two people on Easy getting two stars

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

SirSamVimes posted:

I cannot get over the complete mastery Alan Wake 2 has over its tone and vibes. Even its title screen instantly pulls you into its world, and the whole opening up to the title card is pitch perfect.

I love it but hate the combat.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Halser posted:

I feel like CDProjekt has actually learned pretty well how to make games that have modern gameplay mechanics(you know, combat doesn't suck rear end) while also having an open world with believable scale and interesting exploration.

You don't have every NPC in Night City having their own "detailed" schedule, but the overall illusion of the world is much more solid than recent Bethesda games. They're really stuck in the early 2000's.

i do remember posts from people who followed cyberpunk npcs around and got mad that they just kind of wandered around aimlessly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

one thing i did like about starfield is the music and the way it looks to watch the sun appear over the horizon as the music swells

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

still addicted to The Finals. game is just too drat fun

its crazy that there are still amazing games being released this close to the end of the year. 2023 wont quit

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

does the finals have vr support????

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Al! posted:

does the finals have vr support????

no

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hey boss I realized we just spent like two years working on making an infinite number of very empty planets

should we have spent our time instead making like... 5 or 10 that have interesting stuff on them?

You make a good point here, we'll have to do something about that! Get me OpenAi on the line!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

still addicted to The Finals. game is just too drat fun

its crazy that there are still amazing games being released this close to the end of the year. 2023 wont quit

Quick Cash is a ton of fun with a premade of 3, but I've really been enjoying Bank It when I'm solo queuing. it's common to have a braindead teammate (or a bot, which are strangely common given the large number of concurrent players) but you can really do work in Bank It on an individual level

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

oscarthewilde posted:

https://x.com/E3/status/1734583493592498437?s=20

rip all big announcement fests that arent first-party or organised by the dorito pope

didn't they do this once already

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Al! posted:

i do remember posts from people who followed cyberpunk npcs around and got mad that they just kind of wandered around aimlessly

I did that once(while incredibly high to have the patience to do so) and it's kinda lame, but it's easy to fix, I guess. Just make them go into a random building and disappear if it matters that much. The point for me is to make an effective illusion, and for 90% of cases, an NPC is just a random person you'll see while driving around and what they do afterwards doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Nanomashoes posted:

yup, they got me twice by putting the name fallout on a game but i learned eventually