Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Laplacean Demon posted:

But I how the hell is there is nothing for punching a guy in the back of the head knocking him out cold and injuring him for multiple games.

thats the NHL baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Larkin should've kept his head up

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1734256022896676937?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

I’m sorry is there some sort of high-stakes bidding war for Ethan Bear that I was unaware of?

Yes. For some reason it's insanely hard to find cromulent bottom pair guys who can handle top 4 minutes. Vancouver spent like $100m on such players over the past years.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I was having this conversation with a friend a couple weeks ago. The NHL really needs a formal medical retirement process. Some doctor can sign off that the player has some legitimate medical issue, the player agrees that they're retiring and can't stage a comeback later, and they get paid their full contract with no cap hit. It's already happening unofficially, and the stuff with Pronger shows that league is absolutely on-board with it. I suppose the big downside is that rich teams can benefit by trading for the purposes of retirement, but that's also already happening anyways.

The contrarian take here is that this opens the door for teams to say "hey we'll drop the AAV and extend the term, but you won't play the last two years". Which is why you have the 35+ contract rule.

But on the other hand, that would be easily thwarted by the NHL applying common sense to use their powers of discretion regarding punishments for cap circumvention...

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
The Rangers have 3 such players :c00l:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1734402722642698332?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Many people are saying that the Sabres are back, baby

Eric Robinson owns??? Eric Robinsowns

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

One of these days Auston Matthews is going to want to stop picking the puck out of his net at the end of important games, but today wasn’t that day.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Larkin was murdered by Joseph. Perron didn't see it and just went after the guy standing closest to Larkin.

He's dead on the ice while they scramble all over him, someone almost steps on his head and guys are hopping over him to get at other guys. The first person to check on him is a Senator who calls for medics, and one of the Wings crashes in to shove him out of the way as he's doing it.

It looks to me like it was Kelly who did the actual murdering. Joseph shoves Larkin's head (very close to a crosscheck if it wasn't one), then Kelly comes in from the other side and puts a fist right into Larkin's chin.

Either way, ridiculous that neither Kelly nor Joseph seem to have been ejected.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It was loving scary because it looked like he died. Nobody was even looking at Perron, because there was an assumption of retribution. The whole building was very quiet, then very loud when the refs read the ruling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

It looks to me like it was Kelly who did the actual murdering. Joseph shoves Larkin's head (very close to a crosscheck if it wasn't one), then Kelly comes in from the other side and puts a fist right into Larkin's chin.

It's a team effort, but Joseph is why it happens like that since Kelly seems to just be going for a regular crosscheck to the back that are basically legal these days.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ZombieApostate posted:

Kelly was just coming in to clear him out and ended up catching him in the head as he went down, his hands were low and that's just bad luck. I dunno if Larkin was unconscious before or after the contact with Kelly but I don't really blame him much for it.

Joseph, on the other hand, punched him in the back of the head or jaw and is the same dude who did this, in the first game Larkin was back after Jamie Benn took him out for months with a cross-check to the neck:

https://twitter.com/SensProspects/status/1733653990594818551

But yeah, great look to give out a couple roughing penalties for knocking someone unconscious with a hit to the head.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SabresPlays/status/1734398767011344429

https://twitter.com/30sicks/status/1734399928951037990

Rob Ray still hard as nails

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Detroit now on a 3 game losing streak since the ugly rapist started playing for them

I hope they don't win another game all year ahahhahhahahaa

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/5129384/2023/12/11/blues-jakub-vrana-waivers/?source=user_shared_article Jakub Vrana in limbo after being told by Blues he’d be placed on waivers

Vrana on waivers. Not looking good for him if he can’t even stick on the (not good) Blues roster.

Also:

“With the Blues, his top skating speed this season is 22.75 miles per hour, which ranks in the 88th percentile of the entire NHL, and his top shot is 92.03 mph (77th percentile). Conversely, though, Vrana’s average distance traveled per 60 minutes this season is 9.6 miles (60th percentile) and his shot attempts are a mere 41 (65th percentile). In other words, Vrana’s speed hasn’t been effective because he’s not always moving and utilizing it, and he’s not putting himself into position to get shots, and when he does, they’re not accurate (4.9 shooting percentage).”

Top skating speed and average distance traveled per 60 minutes sure seem like stats that do not matter to me.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
what is vrana's MPG (miles per goal)?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Is he free? Can he play? Come to Pittsburgh!

Edit: At 5.25 million per nevermind......

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

"A normal guy woulda been carried out of here. Felt good, real good! Gimme a stick, lets go!" - Rob Ray after getting this puck to the face

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

let the blood flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJti352rU3o

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

https://theathletic.com/5129384/2023/12/11/blues-jakub-vrana-waivers/?source=user_shared_article Jakub Vrana in limbo after being told by Blues he’d be placed on waivers

Vrana on waivers. Not looking good for him if he can’t even stick on the (not good) Blues roster.

Also:

“With the Blues, his top skating speed this season is 22.75 miles per hour, which ranks in the 88th percentile of the entire NHL, and his top shot is 92.03 mph (77th percentile). Conversely, though, Vrana’s average distance traveled per 60 minutes this season is 9.6 miles (60th percentile) and his shot attempts are a mere 41 (65th percentile). In other words, Vrana’s speed hasn’t been effective because he’s not always moving and utilizing it, and he’s not putting himself into position to get shots, and when he does, they’re not accurate (4.9 shooting percentage).”

Top skating speed and average distance traveled per 60 minutes sure seem like stats that do not matter to me.

drat was hoping he could turn it around. Mantha finally did this season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
10 points in 21 on the back of 20% shooting. Yup definitely turned it around I think the Caps should extend him for 5x5.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Not really sure why people are saying the Devils need a defenseman? Nemec has been very solid in his time up, if they add another veteran D, I guess they'll push Bahl out of the lineup?

They're top 10 in expected goals allowed and one of the top teams in the league again at preventing odd-man rushes, it's just that every one of them winds up in the back of the net. All of the underlying numbers show that, while they're pretty top-heavy right now and some of their guys have struggled relative to last year (and Meier has been awful), that having just average goaltending would probably put them firmly near the top of the division at this stage.

I don't think there is anything to panic about regarding the forwards group (Meier and Mercer will figure it out) and the defense corps. It's just goaltending imo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fawning deference posted:

Not really sure why people are saying the Devils need a defenseman? Nemec has been very solid in his time up, if they add another veteran D, I guess they'll push Bahl out of the lineup?

They're top 10 in expected goals allowed and one of the top teams in the league again at preventing odd-man rushes, it's just that every one of them winds up in the back of the net. All of the underlying numbers show that, while they're pretty top-heavy right now and some of their guys have struggled relative to last year (and Meier has been awful), that having just average goaltending would probably put them firmly near the top of the division at this stage.

I don't think there is anything to panic about regarding the forwards group (Meier and Mercer will figure it out) and the defense corps. It's just goaltending imo.

Devils should just play a whole game with the goalie pulled.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1734600962151494133

seems good for a draft eligible

fawning deference posted:

Marino, Bahl, and Siegenthaler have been pretty poor. I don't think a trade is necessarily the answer (yet) but it's worth monitoring.

speaking of:

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1734608647895052403

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 12, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/dalter/status/1734618616614490206?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Leafs are playing 5 games in 8 days with Martin Jones as one of their goalies and a bunch of players sick, can’t wait for the inevitable “what’s wrong with the Leafs” articles when they drop a couple games in a row.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ah yes, the classic move of calling up your worst farm goalie because he has a record of previously being bad.

Also take a guess who the Leafs' top two defensemen in 5v5 FF% (Conor Timmins and Max Lajoie) and xGF% (Conor Timmins and Simon Benoit) are.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s a good idea to never pay attention to rate numbers for sheltered bottom-pair defenders, but I do enjoy that as Timmins gets more comfortable with his game and the team he’s making more great offensive plays and also more mind-bogglingly lovely defensive plays.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good news Leafs: Rangers love to lose to teams when those teams are doing poorly/injured/playing 3rd string goalies

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Good news Leafs: Rangers love to lose to teams when those teams are doing poorly/injured/playing 3rd string goalies

Is there a team's fanbase that does not believe this about their own team?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Some other good news for Leafs fans: Key is out tonight.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Is there a team's fanbase that does not believe this about their own team?

I know it’s a trope but also the Leafs have lost to the Blackhawks’ backup twice this season so it’s true for them

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Some other good news for Leafs fans: Key is out tonight.

more minutes for gus though
has there every been any updates on chytil

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I know it’s a trope but also the Leafs have lost to the Blackhawks’ backup twice this season so it’s true for them

David Ayers

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s a good idea to never pay attention to rate numbers for sheltered bottom-pair defenders

Yeah, sheltered D on good teams are going to look good just by the nature of their role. it's probably true of all teams, but just on the Leafs, they've had the likes of Corrado, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren all put up great numbers in third pairing situations. Like during his rookie years, all the fancies said Liljegren was the best rookie dman in the league the same year Seider was a rookie. Because guy who only gets 15 minutes of handpicked ozone starts with good forwards away from the other teams best players is obviously going to put up better numbers than guy that goes out there 23 minutes a night mainly against the other teams best players with forwards that are also overmatched.

Like Dom had a whole clickbait thing where the headline was something like Liljegren for Calder and the entire article was about context, understanding how stats work, how to use them properly and how to recognize when the stats are spewing bullshit. And the comments were all people who obviously did not read past the headline.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Waiting to hear how long Connor is out and how boned the Jets are. Hard to replace his goal scoring

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what the hell does this even mean

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1734603971724239151

e: also

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1734618518224548234

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 12, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s a good idea to never pay attention to rate numbers for sheltered bottom-pair defenders, but I do enjoy that as Timmins gets more comfortable with his game and the team he’s making more great offensive plays and also more mind-bogglingly lovely defensive plays.

It's better than doing only the latter, anyway.

It's not that I actually think Lajoie and Benoit are doing a bangup job so much as it's indicative that Rielly, Brodie and McCabe are not handling their increased minutes particularly well, which should concern I dunno the GM or coach or whoever's in charge of getting better defensemen who aren't broken.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

more minutes for gus though
has there every been any updates on chytil

I forgot about the Gus revenge narrative.

Haven't heard a thing on Chytil.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

So does that mean like the impact of the puck caused a piece of jaw bone to break off, cut through his gum, and he mistook it for a tooth and spit it out?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It's better than doing only the latter, anyway.

It's not that I actually think Lajoie and Benoit are doing a bangup job so much as it's indicative that Rielly, Brodie and McCabe are not handling their increased minutes particularly well, which should concern I dunno the GM or coach or whoever's in charge of getting better defensemen who aren't broken.

The Leafs need a legit top 4 real bad, Brodie’s slowing down and the McCabe trade looks worse and worse the more games he plays. Jake’s got tools but he might be the dumbest player on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Time for Tyson Barrie reunion