Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nintendo. Anyone been thinking that, lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I've been thinking Nintendo lately. I just finished Persona 5 and loved it, but it is a 130-hour beast of a game, so I've been thinking it's time for some short/mid-length Nintendo games. This morning I played some levels in Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I've also been sitting on a voucher since March and I think I'm going to use it on Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

man nurse posted:

Sometimes.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

robot roll call posted:

an SSX 3 remake done up like that Tony Hawk remake is my Gamer Dream

The THPS remake is like the perfect example of how to remake an old-ish arcadey game like that. They added all the modern luxuries, QOL enhancements, and dopamine boosting mechanics so well. They really gave new life to the games and I wish more companies would do that. I dunno if it won awards or whatever but it deserved them all.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

I've been thinking Nintendo lately. I just finished Persona 5 and loved it, but it is a 130-hour beast of a game, so I've been thinking it's time for some short/mid-length Nintendo games. This morning I played some levels in Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I've also been sitting on a voucher since March and I think I'm going to use it on Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Tropical Freeze may be the pinnacle of 2D platformer technology

I really appreciate Wonder so far and it may have more good stuff and interesting mechanics piled into the same game than Tropical Freeze overall but I haven't seen it hit the highs that TF does yet

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Fun Times! posted:

I just finished Mario Wonder with all the medals and I thought it was the perfect length. Kirby moved too slow for me and I never finished it. Wonder is a really solid Nintendo showing and if I had to choose a game to use the voucher on it’s up there for me, especially if looking for a paletteable complete playthrough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

man nurse posted:

:mods:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Sally posted:

i always change the control scheme when i start up Super Metroid because the default setup is unnatural

It's so loving weird.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just thought about Nintendo brand video games and was happy for a brief moment.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Personally, I've been thinking "Wintendo"

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on Samba de Amigo: Party Central ?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want to get 2 more joy cons for Mario party but I don't want to pay $80. Any recommendations for 3rd party? Doesn't even have to be joy con form factor I'm never going to slide them onto my switch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

man nurse posted:

My switch lite barrety is dead

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
skill issue

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Meowywitch posted:

My switch lite barrety is dead

Buy a second Switch so you have another Switch to play while your first Switch is charging,

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Personally, I've been thinking "Wintendo"

I've been thinking about this too.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on Samba de Amigo: Party Central ?

I bought it months ago and haven’t played it yet. I’ll try it tonight if you want a report back.

I am in the cloud in Mario rpg finally. About to hit close to 17 hours in the game. It probably won’t be bad enough to skew howlongtobeat but I’ll probably hit 2x average completion time. I really don’t care for beanstalks.. Goals for the week are to finish rpg and breath of the wild (finally).

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I;m thinking about thos Games

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Shaocaholica posted:

I want to get 2 more joy cons for Mario party but I don't want to pay $80. Any recommendations for 3rd party? Doesn't even have to be joy con form factor I'm never going to slide them onto my switch.

Some physical versions of Super Mario Party comes with joycons, so it's like $40 extra for a pair

https://a.co/d/fQgOKKx

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Super Mario Party is the inferior Mario Party, though

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Today, I beat Culex 3D in Super Mario RPG. So I decided to give some thoughts about the remake:
- Mallow is the best character in the Switch version, followed by Mario. Mario has unmatched single-target magic damage with the Jump spells, and Mallow has unmatched multi-target damage with his high Magic Attack and cheap multi-target spells + being able to take advantage of elemental weaknesses of enemies + his contribution to the chain bonuses is Magic Attack which he can multiply by 1.25 at the highest chain bonus. You are generally not switching Mallow out of the team except in certain circumstances.
- The third character slot when you have a choice is usually taken by either Geno or Bowser. Geno provides a max multiplier of 1.12 to Attack and Speed for his chain bonuses, good weapons, and has Geno Boost. Bowser has Terrorize which actually works on a decent amount of bosses in this game and is not bad against enemies either, and is also required for the best Triple Moves in the game (Clown Car Barrage with Mallow which is THE best Triple Move in the entire game, and Shooting Star Shot with Geno which is better against single-target enemies and for prolonged fights like against bosses when they're alone since Mario, Geno, and Bowser also get buffs that correspond to a perfect chain boost for Attack, Magic Attack, and Speed respectively). His physical damage will also surpass Mario and Geno once he gets access to his new ultimate weapon in the postgame.
- Of all the characters, Peach usually ends up as the benchwarmer and least useful character of the bunch. This is due to a variety of indirect factors that affect her usefulness in the remake despite the fact that Peach is still the same broken character that she was in the original SMRPG, so it might just be that there's simply just not that much of a need for all the poo poo that made her broken in the first place. In particular, the inventory revamp letting you pack more items of every kind, the ability to fight Strong versions of enemies to gain Frog Coins for the more useful items, and the ability to switch out non-Mario party members are all factors that contribute to make the once premier gamebreaker into someone that only leaves the bench during extreme emergencies, and it doesn't help that the Triple Move combos including Peach are a lot more situational in usage.
- Of the three postgame weapons, Mallow and Bowser gets the most useful ones of the bunch (and Mallow's is the only weapon to grant a boost in Magic Attack), while Geno's is barely an increase to the standard damage of his previous ultimate weapon. At least all of them adhere to the Lazy Shell/Frying Pan concept and give them higher and lower damage variance than you usually get from a weapon, fitting for weapons that honestly should have been in the original to begin with.
- Game is overall very faithful to the original in terms of mechanics and story. This is generally to its benefit but I'd wish the Super Jump requirements were a bit more lenient. Oh well. At least the remake has given me a lot more confidence in my Super Jumping to be able to get the Attack Scarf for Mario which has a lenient enough requirement to make it super useful.
- Postgame rematch difficulty rankings from hardest to easiest: Culex/Johnny > Punchinello > Belome > Jinx > Bundt > Booster
- Culex is the best and I am so happy that his postgame rematch is rematchable for LTCing! :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

After over a decade of Geno for smash memes, I'm glad more people are starting to realize Mallow is the true SMRPG original character goat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like Mallow more than Geno because Mallow is an actual character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mallowns

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

In SMRPG2 they'll go to the Star Road and we'll get to meet the eldritch horror from beyond time and space non-Kirby star being that possessed the Geno doll in SMRPG and learn all about them.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Runa posted:

After over a decade of Geno for smash memes, I'm glad more people are starting to realize Mallow is the true SMRPG original character goat.

The dance is new, to be fair

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mallow is the best frog in gaming history

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

I was surprised in the remake how much character Geno actually had, it was more than I remembered. He kind of reminds me of the Blue Senturion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Party hotswapping pretty much broke the Mario/Peach/Geno setup. Mallow's downside was that he's great when the enemy has weaknesses to his attacks, but if they didn't you were just stuck with him. Hotswapping pretty much got rid of that downside. Geno can't hit weaknesses but he was easily the most reliable party member in the original. Bowser's ailments ran into a similar downside in that he didn't do much if they were immune to them (but there were bosses that could be tagged by them) and you were stuck with them. Now you can swap him in and out as needed.

Likewise Peach was pretty much a big safety net and without being able to swap her in, not having her in the party really lowered your survivability on top of her being just so broken. Now you can just swap her in as needed, though she's still fine to leave in the party if you choose. That beings said Mute is ridiculous and absolutely destroys certain boss fights.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

otter posted:

I bought it months ago and haven’t played it yet. I’ll try it tonight if you want a report back.

I am in the cloud in Mario rpg finally. About to hit close to 17 hours in the game. It probably won’t be bad enough to skew howlongtobeat but I’ll probably hit 2x average completion time. I really don’t care for beanstalks.. Goals for the week are to finish rpg and breath of the wild (finally).

Thanks, looking forward to the report :)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Araxxor posted:

Party hotswapping pretty much broke the Mario/Peach/Geno setup. Mallow's downside was that he's great when the enemy has weaknesses to his attacks, but if they didn't you were just stuck with him. Hotswapping pretty much got rid of that downside. Geno can't hit weaknesses but he was easily the most reliable party member in the original. Bowser's ailments ran into a similar downside in that he didn't do much if they were immune to them (but there were bosses that could be tagged by them) and you were stuck with them. Now you can swap him in and out as needed.

Likewise Peach was pretty much a big safety net and without being able to swap her in, not having her in the party really lowered your survivability on top of her being just so broken. Now you can just swap her in as needed, though she's still fine to leave in the party if you choose. That beings said Mute is ridiculous and absolutely destroys certain boss fights.

I believe the big ones for Mute are Belome rematch (not the postgame one; he acquired an immunity to Mute for that one), Zombone, and maybe Exor's body parts if you're not going to stick Fear on them. The rest I think have diminished returns or are also vulnerable to Fear which I think is the better general ailment to inflict in most situations where you have a choice between ailments.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gave Peach the exp booster and then the quartz charm so she'd be my offensively strongest party member. She was very good at it.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I definitely gained a new level of appreciation for Mallow in this playthrough, both as a endearing little guy and for reliably great AOE damage. I used to always permanently kick him out of the party as soon as Bowser joined up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

fit em all up in there posted:

Thanks, looking forward to the report :)

I played a few songs and it’s a little different than say, just dance. It might be more fun with more than one player nits way easier than Taiko, but I also bought a taiko drum controller for that. I just can’t try it out until wifey isn’t home.

So you have to shake the joy cons at angles to hit the right spots at the right part of the song. I didn’t know the first song but the beat was good. I was playing with some jbl headphones that have nice bass.
It includes songs such as:
karma chameleon
La bamba
Macarena
Move your feet (Junior Senior. I dominated this track)
Moves like Jagger
Pompeii
Runaway
Sucker (Jonas brothers? It’s a falsetto thing I’ve heard before)
Cup of Life (Ricky Martin, I’m old)
Tik Tok (Ke$ha)
You give love a bad name (hells yeah, Bon Jovi!)
Centerfold
I love it (charli xcx?)
I will survive
Just dance

There’s at least $15 worth of goofy fun for rainy days in there. I paid like $30 I think.

Edit: I went ahead and bought 2 DLC packs. One with Sonic the hedgehog / sega music and costumes and one that has Take On Me & tubthumping.

otter fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 13, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

man nurse posted:

many people are saying this

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's right

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Big Bizness posted:

I definitely gained a new level of appreciation for Mallow in this playthrough, both as a endearing little guy and for reliably great AOE damage. I used to always permanently kick him out of the party as soon as Bowser joined up.

Yeah, same, but mostly to fill out the Thought Peek in the Bestiary. Still, it was nice to actually be able to hit elemental weaknesses!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mallow's Thought Peek and the 2FP aoe lightning attack made him indispensable for me

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

Today, I beat Culex 3D in Super Mario RPG. So I decided to give some thoughts about the remake:
- Mallow is the best character in the Switch version, followed by Mario. Mario has unmatched single-target magic damage with the Jump spells, and Mallow has unmatched multi-target damage with his high Magic Attack and cheap multi-target spells + being able to take advantage of elemental weaknesses of enemies + his contribution to the chain bonuses is Magic Attack which he can multiply by 1.25 at the highest chain bonus. You are generally not switching Mallow out of the team except in certain circumstances.
- The third character slot when you have a choice is usually taken by either Geno or Bowser. Geno provides a max multiplier of 1.12 to Attack and Speed for his chain bonuses, good weapons, and has Geno Boost. Bowser has Terrorize which actually works on a decent amount of bosses in this game and is not bad against enemies either, and is also required for the best Triple Moves in the game (Clown Car Barrage with Mallow which is THE best Triple Move in the entire game, and Shooting Star Shot with Geno which is better against single-target enemies and for prolonged fights like against bosses when they're alone since Mario, Geno, and Bowser also get buffs that correspond to a perfect chain boost for Attack, Magic Attack, and Speed respectively). His physical damage will also surpass Mario and Geno once he gets access to his new ultimate weapon in the postgame.
- Of all the characters, Peach usually ends up as the benchwarmer and least useful character of the bunch. This is due to a variety of indirect factors that affect her usefulness in the remake despite the fact that Peach is still the same broken character that she was in the original SMRPG, so it might just be that there's simply just not that much of a need for all the poo poo that made her broken in the first place. In particular, the inventory revamp letting you pack more items of every kind, the ability to fight Strong versions of enemies to gain Frog Coins for the more useful items, and the ability to switch out non-Mario party members are all factors that contribute to make the once premier gamebreaker into someone that only leaves the bench during extreme emergencies, and it doesn't help that the Triple Move combos including Peach are a lot more situational in usage.
- Of the three postgame weapons, Mallow and Bowser gets the most useful ones of the bunch (and Mallow's is the only weapon to grant a boost in Magic Attack), while Geno's is barely an increase to the standard damage of his previous ultimate weapon. At least all of them adhere to the Lazy Shell/Frying Pan concept and give them higher and lower damage variance than you usually get from a weapon, fitting for weapons that honestly should have been in the original to begin with.
- Game is overall very faithful to the original in terms of mechanics and story. This is generally to its benefit but I'd wish the Super Jump requirements were a bit more lenient. Oh well. At least the remake has given me a lot more confidence in my Super Jumping to be able to get the Attack Scarf for Mario which has a lenient enough requirement to make it super useful.
- Postgame rematch difficulty rankings from hardest to easiest: Culex/Johnny > Punchinello > Belome > Jinx > Bundt > Booster
- Culex is the best and I am so happy that his postgame rematch is rematchable for LTCing! :allears:

Unfortunately the game is so easy none of this actually matters in any way

Edit: it’s still great though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seymour Buttz posted:

The THPS remake is like the perfect example of how to remake an old-ish arcadey game like that. They added all the modern luxuries, QOL enhancements, and dopamine boosting mechanics so well. They really gave new life to the games and I wish more companies would do that. I dunno if it won awards or whatever but it deserved them all.

Completely agreed; I bought it on Switch, but I already want to get it on Steam for my deck, so I'll likely pick it up this winter if it goes on sale. I'm assuming it will.