Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

now that im through some surgeries and some work stress, i can refocus on this project that got a bit of a false start:

another p&s battalia. red coats with armoured pike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That's an interesting setup, are the sabot inserts for a particular game or just so you can rearrange formations?

spectralent posted:

guys guys guys guys guys

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Wonder what the scale will be?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

That's an interesting setup, are the sabot inserts for a particular game or just so you can rearrange formations?

yeah the original purpose was to be able to play skirmish games like pikemans lament with the removable figure setup, and then sabot them for larger, formation based games (for king and parliament is the goal)

i 3d print everything so its easy to set stuff like this up

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah the original purpose was to be able to play skirmish games like pikemans lament with the removable figure setup, and then sabot them for larger, formation based games (for king and parliament is the goal)

Did you design the bases or find them online somewhere? I wanna 3d print some of those.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Hell yeah, both those games rule.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Did you design the bases or find them online somewhere? I wanna 3d print some of those.

yeah i whipped em up in solidworks. 50 mm x 75 mm x 2 mm, with sabot slots slightly oversized to fit a primed and painted canadian nickel. i can share the file if you'd like

Hell yeah, both those games rule.

hell yeah. i've played a bit of solo PL, i like it so far. will probably play some bigger games in the 50 vs 50 pt range in the run up to FK&P. FK&P looks absolutely perfect, but due to my project decisions to have large 15 mm units, it may be a while for me to get there. in any case, working toward it again

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

yeah i whipped em up in solidworks. 50 mm x 75 mm x 2 mm, with sabot slots slightly oversized to fit a primed and painted canadian nickel. i can share the file if you'd like

I think actually I'm going to go with PL's suggested 3-2-1 basing, since the novelty of it is tickling my ADHD brain. Quick mockup:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I think actually I'm going to go with PL's suggested 3-2-1 basing, since the novelty of it is tickling my ADHD brain. Quick mockup:

yeah i almost went with that too. but then i got grandiose plans for big battle lol. 3-2-1 is great tho if you're just doing skirmish

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Are there any recommended reference books for the "small war" part of the napoleonic war? Like i get that the big battles are what get all of the attention but my understanding of historical warfare was that most actual fighting was skirmishes between scouts/rear guard etc, I've got sharp practice on the way so that has the game aspect covered, was just looking for something covering the small unit tactics outside of major conflicts.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh, and for 15 mm ecw enthusiasts with a 3d printer (that should narrow it down lol), check this poo poo out:

https://www.thingiverse.com/ranks-of-resin/collections/35355558/things

free! will probably kick this guy $20 or something. solid sculpts. im happy with henry turner but will def use these to add some variety

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I actually want to do 3-2-1 basing for Medievals, are there any good skirmish rules besides Lion Rampant? There's about a hundred massed battle rules for the time period, but there's plenty of small action that would be fun to model, like border reivers and stuff.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

oh, and for 15 mm ecw enthusiasts with a 3d printer (that should narrow it down lol), check this poo poo out:

https://www.thingiverse.com/ranks-of-resin/collections/35355558/things

free! will probably kick this guy $20 or something. solid sculpts. im happy with henry turner but will def use these to add some variety

God drat you, his Cults page has a whole 10mm AWI army for sale so now I've got ANOTHER project on my to-do list!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

God drat you, his Cults page has a whole 10mm AWI army for sale so now I've got ANOTHER project on my to-do list!!

Oh it's that guy! I commented back and forth with him on FB, definitely gonna pick up his AWI stuff and scale it to 15mm once it's a little more of a complete line (last I looked he didn't have generals and stuff)

Edit-- dang he's added commanders and other stuff!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 7, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

working mom posted:

Are there any recommended reference books for the "small war" part of the napoleonic war? Like i get that the big battles are what get all of the attention but my understanding of historical warfare was that most actual fighting was skirmishes between scouts/rear guard etc, I've got sharp practice on the way so that has the game aspect covered, was just looking for something covering the small unit tactics outside of major conflicts.

The Thunder on the Danube trilogy, while covering the big battles of 1809, is very comprehensive and covers quite a few skirmishes as well. It's also just a great inspiration for Napoleonics.

The memoirs of Heinrich Brandt (In the Legions of Napoleon: The Memoirs of a Polish Officer in Spain and Russia 1808-1813) follows an officer who gets involved in various skirmishes. It was a few years since I read it, but I think it had a few examples that could be useful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hm, I tried out 28mm AWI on 3-2-1 (40mm, 32mm, 25mm) basing, and it... Looks really awkward. I think I may scrap this and go with classic sabot basing. For US folks, is a penny too small/thin to make a cheap base? Or would buying some washers be a better idea?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Penny is fine as long as 28mm fig fits and doesn't look like it is striding over it.

You might want to keep some kind of dessicant in with them. I had some Khurasan 15s on various penny and washer bases when I still lived in Virginia and I'm pretty sure the pennies oxidizing was enough to pop them apart while the ones on washers were fine.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've got mine on 20mm squares so a 19mm penny should be fine. Might be a squeeze for some of the kneeling / firing pose though.

I also had some 1/72 figures on pennies a while back and read about the oxidation issue and I gave them a vinegar wash & clean before using and they worked fine for a long time.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

For US folks, is a penny too small/thin to make a cheap base? Or would buying some washers be a better idea?

I use fender washers; they're cheap and readily available in different sizes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

consider a nickel. they're 5 times the price sure, but still quite inexpensive compared to laser cut mdf, plastic, etc. 21.2 mm dia, almost 2 mm thick, and most of them are magnetic, if youre into that

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

Yeah I'll probably go this way since pennies aren't magnetic in the US. 3/4" washers look ideal for 15mm individual basing.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh, for 15 mm? yeah fender washers are good for singles

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Do the french shako covers mean anything or is it just "it's currently raining/dusty/the person was too busy or forgot to take it off after one of the above"? Similar greatcoat question I guess.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's there to keep your hat dry/clean, what else would it mean?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cessna posted:

same, they work perfectly

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

It's there to keep your hat dry/clean, what else would it mean?

I dunno, like, "these were only issued in russia" or "these were only worn for units who were expected to be conducting foraging duty" or something. Something that'd make it wrong to just put some of those heads on. I'm maybe being too uniform paranoid.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

I dunno, like, "these were only issued in russia" or "these were only worn for units who were expected to be conducting foraging duty" or something. Something that'd make it wrong to just put some of those heads on. I'm maybe being too uniform paranoid.

Naah, it's just a protective cover, there's nothing special beyond that.

Same with greatcoats. It's just a coat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also they famously wore a ton of greatcoats at Waterloo because they did not have time to procure a ton of new proper uniforms

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

Do the french shako covers mean anything or is it just "it's currently raining/dusty/the person was too busy or forgot to take it off after one of the above"? Similar greatcoat question I guess.

Good thing I’m such a nerd I wrote a blog post on french greatcoats:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/painting-french-greatcoats

But yeah it was very common but got regulated about 1807(?ish), I don’t have the exact year at the top of my head.

On campaign, you’d wear your shako cover most of the time afaik, snd then take it off for major battles. The French were big on looking slick at the battlefield. You’d keep it on if it was very wet, dusty etc.

There are also the so called ”marie-louises”, 200 000+ hastily drafted recruits in late 1813, who were depicted as often wearing just greatcoats (not even boots!) as there were not enough time/materials to outfit them with proper uniforms. Shako covers could likewise cover up poorly made or damaged shakos. Infamously, a lot of the french uniforms in the Sharpe tv series look amazingly bad, and partly because of this - they stuffed burlap sacks with hay as makeshift covered shakos to save money!

Long story short - there are plenty of historical excuses to use shako covers and greatcoats if you like the look (and the time you save painting). There are also plenty of historical reasons NOT to use them if you don’t like them. If you are a super stickler to details, the men would typically be either all wearing them or all not wearing them for a battle. I myself have some units all in greatcoats, some all without, and some mixed. I tell you this - there is no way that even comes close to getting 28mm units on the table as quickly as getting a few boxes of minis in greatcoats.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah if you're doing Napoleonics, Jonas' blog is fantastic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It is.

drat, I need to paint more.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

There are also the so called ”marie-louises”, 200 000+ hastily drafted recruits in late 1813, who were depicted as often wearing just greatcoats (not even boots!) as there were not enough time/materials to outfit them with proper uniforms. Shako covers could likewise cover up poorly made or damaged shakos. Infamously, a lot of the french uniforms in the Sharpe tv series look amazingly bad, and partly because of this - they stuffed burlap sacks with hay as makeshift covered shakos to save money!

Well - since my main (only) reference point is Sharpe, I feel like that's all the justifying I need...

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

lilljonas posted:

The Thunder on the Danube trilogy, while covering the big battles of 1809, is very comprehensive and covers quite a few skirmishes as well. It's also just a great inspiration for Napoleonics.

The memoirs of Heinrich Brandt (In the Legions of Napoleon: The Memoirs of a Polish Officer in Spain and Russia 1808-1813) follows an officer who gets involved in various skirmishes. It was a few years since I read it, but I think it had a few examples that could be useful.

Thank you! I will check them out

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Good thing I’m such a nerd I wrote a blog post on french greatcoats:

One minor pet peeve of mine is the fact that Russian in greatcoats are often modeled with the coat open, unbuttoned:

This was against regulations; if it was on it was to be buttoned up. It's also uncomfortable to unbutton it then put the pack/pack straps back on, the straps don't sit right unless it's buttoned.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

I actually want to do 3-2-1 basing for Medievals, are there any good skirmish rules besides Lion Rampant? There's about a hundred massed battle rules for the time period, but there's plenty of small action that would be fun to model, like border reivers and stuff.

Haven't played it yet (don't even have models...) but I picked up Never Mind the Billhooks since it seems like a good balance between true skirmish and mass battles. Blocks for melee, single bases for most ranged units, usually 50-100 minis expected per side. Could satisfy your wants.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Can anyone compare and contrast Bill Hooks versus Barons War? They seem pretty similar in both period and scale and they came out around the same time, just wondered if one was better than the other.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Baron's War is way more granular, from what I remember. Like, each guy has various weapon and equipment options that affect what stats/abilities they have. I think it's supposed to be more of a warband type game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've actually been meaning to check out Billhooks, and totally forgot it existed! Thanks for the reminder, ADudeWhoAbides!

Goonhammer has a pretty glowing review here - https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-reviews-never-mind-the-billhooks-deluxe-edition/
And since I play mostly solo, the idea of card-based activations is exciting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cessna posted:

One minor pet peeve of mine is the fact that Russian in greatcoats are often modeled with the coat open, unbuttoned:

This was against regulations; if it was on it was to be buttoned up. It's also uncomfortable to unbutton it then put the pack/pack straps back on, the straps don't sit right unless it's buttoned.

Huh, interesting - especially the tidbit about their packs not fitting well with an open coat! I'm not really into Napoleonics wargaming myself, (gonna save that level of painting for when I eventually retire :v:) but I do enjoy reading all the facts you guys post in here. It's interesting stuff! Even if the prevalent shakos and bicornes are inferior to tricornes, in every way

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm absolutely adoring 'Mark's Little Soldiers':

https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh those are delightful. :swoon: Does he recommend a game to go with them?