Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So what's stopping someone younger from learning COBOL and cashing in?

I guess it's not exactly being taught anywhere anymore and being self-taught isn't gonna cut it.

You won’t get experience on the systems or doing the exact thing required, because you don’t have experience and can’t be hired. Mere knowledge is not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

You won’t get experience on the systems or doing the exact thing required, because you don’t have experience and can’t be hired. Mere knowledge is not enough.

seems like some creative writing on the ole' resume could get around that

:ssh: one weird trick recruiters don't want you to know :ssh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ProperCauldron posted:

Fingerprint scanners as punch-in and -out time clocks are becoming more popular with kitchen and wait staff. I've seen them in diners, restaurants. And ppl in food service have told me they've seen them too.
Which is crazy because it's not like all these people are citizens.

That's not really how the scanners work. You can't really compare the fingerprints it can accept with police CSI magic.

There's a Wendy's suit in court now and depending on how the court interprets how these scanners work will probably determine how much more widespread they become.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yes as mentioned on my resume, I have 20 years experience with Kobold.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Self checkouts here in norway had fingerprint scanners for a while, youd register with your fingerprints and then scan them if you wanted to buy age restricted items. then the norwegian data protection authority went "uhh what the gently caress?" a little while ago and every store with self checkouts had to close them down until they had stripped that functionality away.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the gently caress indeed. That’s a Business Major idea if I ever saw one.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I used my fingerprint to log into my lifeguard time clock and that was almost 20 years ago.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

fingerprint scanners are great cause fingerprints transfer to a lot of things well like silly putty or a strip of conducting tape or even sometimes just a hot dog.

oh ya time theft is a crime blah blah blah.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to schedule a haircut, why do I need to have a login? Why do you want me to download an app? Why, when I call, am I redirected to someone who apparently doesn't even know which place I called? Why is everything so goddamn awful?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Trying to schedule a haircut, why do I need to have a login? Why do you want me to download an app? Why, when I call, am I redirected to someone who apparently doesn't even know which place I called? Why is everything so goddamn awful?

Jesus Christ, I am shopping for a decent electric toothbrush and WHY DO I NEED A loving APP FOR IT

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Jesus Christ, I am shopping for a decent electric toothbrush and WHY DO I NEED A loving APP FOR IT

I have a Philips Sonicare (maybe not the NEWEST model, but probably the one before that?) and while it can use an app, it's not needed. I can select the "mode" (all I ever use is "clean" but there's, like...deep clean, gum health, and like three others I don't use ) and intensity (I always keep it on low, I've read higher ones are bad for enamel) just with the two buttons on the brush itself, and two minutes later, bingo-bango teeth are clean.

Tunicate posted:

Open source software ui is even worse, have you tried doing literally anything with the GIMP

Years and years ago, I was trying to learn basic stuff in GIMP, literally just for making dumb images/memes/what have you, and was looking for the circle/shape tool in the menu. I didn't find one, so did some searching and even asked on some forum (possibly even here on SA? But also on the GIMP forums) and my GOD the hostility.

Most answers were "you can do it through these exceedingly complicated sets of instructions" and/or "there's an add-on you can get if you're too DUMB to follow those other instructions that adds basic tools", but I got more than a couple "Why are you trying to even make a circle in the first place? GIMP is a picture EDITING program, not a picture CREATING program! Get Inkscape or [other obtuse open-source software] if you want to create circles!"

Then I uninstalled GIMP, installed Paint.NET and it's done everything I've ever needed, except once when I did try my hand at making a GIF. I had to go back to GIMP. But only for that one GIF!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paint.net is everything you need and works so intuitively. I have students who prefer Photoshop and even Photopea, which I find way harder to use

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Meanwhile Publix still lets you order subs online without an account. It’s a modern miracle. Just put an email address or phone number on the order and they’re like, “Cool. See you at lunch.”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Gotta get a thumbnail in there to crack the seal and then it might go ok.

I have a severe nail biting issue so I never have any. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GolfHole posted:

fingerprint scanners are great cause fingerprints transfer to a lot of things well like silly putty or a strip of conducting tape or even sometimes just a hot dog.

oh ya time theft is a crime blah blah blah.

One of the, if not the most widespread corporate crime in America is wage theft.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

One of the, if not the most widespread corporate crime in America is wage theft.

Not only corporate crime, but all crime.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

Not only corporate crime, but all crime.

Hmm, looks like you're correct from the skimming I'm doing. Wage theft seems to be the number one form of theft in the United States.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a severe nail biting issue so I never have any. :(

I got over my nail biting habit by still going through the motions but not actually biting them off, just like bite down lightly on them but not all the way through

bonus: you never have to wait for them to grow back to bite them again

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The only time I almost reliably had fingernails was maybe just a year or so when I was prescribed klonopin every day.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hell fuckin yea

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
even if covid doesnt (???) do Fomite transmission well, you would think that finger or hand scanners wouldnt be a thing for a few years. good job to the scanner sales reps i guess. dont get why low stake jobs cant just do cards.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

even if covid doesnt (???) do Fomite transmission well, you would think that finger or hand scanners wouldnt be a thing for a few years. good job to the scanner sales reps i guess. dont get why low stake jobs cant just do cards.

governments are actively trying to kill the people working low stake jobs

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I keep thinking Woot went massively downhill in the last few years when they started flooding their marketplace with questionable deals and products.

Used to go to woot every day a decade ago, now its not even once a month.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Woot was bought by amazon about a decade ago, it's now just their outlet store

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Woot went massively downhill about a decade ago now. I think meh.com is still okay?

E: yes meh.com is alive and well and selling power banks as God intended. They were created by the old woot folks.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Yeah meh was created by the dude who sold woot to amazon if i remember correctly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is geocities doing ok guys?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is geocities doing ok guys?

We sent Geocities to live on a farm upstate with all the other free web hosts, where it has plenty of room to run and play and embed low-bitrate Evanescence midis into every page. Geocities is doing fine.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

just noticed this thread. I'm sure I'm the millionth to mention it but, food delivery. Every since uber eats and all those services came out, you pay out the rear end to some tech company while the restaurants get hosed, all so someone can show up with cold food because they refuse to put it in an insulated bag, and the company sure as poo poo isn't going to buy them that. 10 years ago you just ordered food from a place, they got the money, the driver got a good tip, and it showed up piping hot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ProperCauldron posted:

Fingerprint scanners as punch-in and -out time clocks are becoming more popular with kitchen and wait staff. I've seen them in diners, restaurants. And ppl in food service have told me they've seen them too.
Which is crazy because it's not like all these people are citizens.

Also they aren't as accurate or as secure as the companies making them want us to think

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

we use fingerprint scanners at the hospital exclusively for logging into our robopharmtech that dispenses meds, everything else is just a card with combo rfid and magstripe, or a username/pw. its funny to me that some salesperson or mba convinced someone that the tech used to control access to powerful opiates should also be used to control access to the self checkout line lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah that makes sense but for lifeguards and Dollar Store employees?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Unless something has massively changed in the past 5 or so years you have to go well above $500 per unit to get a fingerprint scanner that cannot be fooled by tapelifting someone else's prints. They're the epitome of security theater unless you spend an absolute butt-ton on them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Biohazard posted:

just noticed this thread. I'm sure I'm the millionth to mention it but, food delivery. Every since uber eats and all those services came out, you pay out the rear end to some tech company while the restaurants get hosed, all so someone can show up with cold food because they refuse to put it in an insulated bag, and the company sure as poo poo isn't going to buy them that. 10 years ago you just ordered food from a place, they got the money, the driver got a good tip, and it showed up piping hot.

The push to app delivery destroyed my favorite Chinese restaurant to the point where the old owners said gently caress it and sold the place to someone who has absolutely destroyed it. I hate the apps

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Doordash has created the worst permutation of tipping culture imaginable. They guarantee the driver a "minimum pay" which let's say is like $8 for your order. $2 of that is from the delivery fee. The next $6 gets paid to the driver no matter what you tip, but the first $6 of your tip goes straight to doordash. So the driver actually gets no tip at all unless you tip above $6. Then the drivers are encouraged to prioritize orders that they get higher tips from, but they're only going to take into account any amount over $6. So you actually have to tip $11 for the driver to get a $5 tip which is not going to be high enough for them to prioritize your order. If you want to be the first person they deliver to you're going to need to enter a $15-20 tip. If you don't do that your food will be cold by the time you get it.

Then if you order through the doordash app/site they charge the restaurant 30% of the total order. They make the restaurant set the prices of the food in the app, so if they add a 30% markup to make up for the commission doordash charges them doordash can claim "The restaurant sets the prices, we're not in control of the fact that they're charging you 30% more they decided to do that themselves". If you order directly from the restaurant's website they still use doordash to deliver but they don't get charged the 30% commission at least.

The best possible thing you can do for the drivers is to tip 0% through doordash and give them a cash tip, but many drivers will straight up not pick up your order if they see a 0% tip.

This is all true of Postmates too and any other non-doordash delivery service, they all do the same poo poo with the same markup and the same tipping structure.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 12, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I hate the apps

I hate having an app for loving everything. Or an account for everything. McDonald's is pretty expensive now but goons will be like "yeah just use the app and you get free poo poo sometimes." No. All of those fast food apps are just data harvesting devices. gently caress you.

I went to the grocery store last week and got some cheaper not-behind-the-deli lunch meat. I haven't ever purchased Smithfield ham before but the day after I got it, and ever since, I started getting facebook ads for Smithfield meats.

Fuuuuuuckkkk..... youuuuuuuuu........

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why does anybody use Doordash or Uber Eats or Lyft Carbs or whatever? Even if it's convenient to have food delivered, it seems like it costs way more and the quality is often questionable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How is it legal for them to take the tip ??

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

euphronius posted:

How is it legal for them to take the tip ??

unless I'm misunderstanding, it goes towards the $6 of that minimum order that, if there was no tip at all, the company would have had to pay the driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I hate having an app for loving everything. Or an account for everything. McDonald's is pretty expensive now but goons will be like "yeah just use the app and you get free poo poo sometimes." No. All of those fast food apps are just data harvesting devices. gently caress you.

I went to the grocery store last week and got some cheaper not-behind-the-deli lunch meat. I haven't ever purchased Smithfield ham before but the day after I got it, and ever since, I started getting facebook ads for Smithfield meats.

Fuuuuuuckkkk..... youuuuuuuuu........

Have you heard the good news of X, the everything app?
Everything happens on X. especially super racism