Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

To me, I like Die Hard 2 a little. But that movie has so much (bad) ADR it's off-putting, and the movie just has a weird look to it overall. Like a filter is on it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hockles posted:

To me, I like Die Hard 2 a little. But that movie has so much (bad) ADR it's off-putting, and the movie just has a weird look to it overall. Like a filter is on it or something.

Agreed, like every scene is supposed to be in a smoke filled room or something. Which works for the air traffic control rooms, but not the whole movie. And I know, it was the 80’s, they were smoking everywhere. But it just looks ugly, and makes it hard for me to enjoy it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rageaholic posted:

It's Renny Harlin's only good movie, but it's still not as good as the first.

Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is OK, and Deep Blue Sea is a lot of fun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DH2 is also just DH1 again with Dennis Franz filling in as the authority figure and a janitor instead of Argyle

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I liked DH2 when I was little because I was a huge airplane nerd and that whole setting really spoke to me. Then I grew up and realized the whole premise of airliners running out of fuel because they only had 90 minutes of fuel left is total nonsense. You can practically fly to Miami from DC in 90 minutes. Like I get that you need to up the tension and suspend disbelief and all that but it really took me out of the movie after I figured that out. John Amos and William Sadler are always a treat though and Ill watch it just to see those two.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My dad had the VHS box set for the Die Hard trilogy when I was growing up. 2 definitely got much less of my watching time than 1 and 3 but I still watched it a ton and I’m excited to revisit it

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I liked DH2 when I was little because I was a huge airplane nerd and that whole setting really spoke to me. Then I grew up and realized the whole premise of airliners running out of fuel because they only had 90 minutes of fuel left is total nonsense. You can practically fly to Miami from DC in 90 minutes. Like I get that you need to up the tension and suspend disbelief and all that but it really took me out of the movie after I figured that out. John Amos and William Sadler are always a treat though and Ill watch it just to see those two.

Also, and I've watched this movie maybe twice and it's been a long time, but it bothered me since I first saw it that isn't the bad guys' demands just "give us this corrupt general or we'll crash every plane in the sky"? Ok, so why not then? Yes I'm probably being stupid and/or totally misremembering major details from the film, but that doesn't seem like very good reason to risk the lives of hundreds of people when you could just arrest the guy again.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Lethal Weapon episode is fantastic and I’m now a conspiracy theorist. There’s no way Chris hasn’t seen Daddy’s Home 2. He was probably too drunk or high to remember to file a letterbox review. He sees everything.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Andorra posted:

Also, and I've watched this movie maybe twice and it's been a long time, but it bothered me since I first saw it that isn't the bad guys' demands just "give us this corrupt general or we'll crash every plane in the sky"? Ok, so why not then? Yes I'm probably being stupid and/or totally misremembering major details from the film, but that doesn't seem like very good reason to risk the lives of hundreds of people when you could just arrest the guy again.

Lol "give us the general and a fully fueled 747" like yeah we can't chase down one of the biggest airplanes ever made and blow it up because they're all terrorists so who cares.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I think my favorite part of Die Hard 2 (aside from seeing it at one of those "sneak previews" studios did back then a few days before the actual release to build up word of mouth; the theater was running late and the audience booed when they tried to show the Predator 2 trailer first, making them skip it :corsair:) is that it gave us one of the best sketches from The Ben Stiller Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSCp__lU-I

"How could the same thing happen to the same guy nineteen times?" "It'll be fun, we'll go shopping, get a Christmas turkey..." :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Beetlejuice episode was great

I don't know if the guys are on a roll or if it's just that they're doing movies I've actually seen - which I always prefer - but they've been giving me a lot of entertainment recently. I mean, they always do and have for a long time but, lately, they've been really crushing it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They do better with movies that aren’t just historical prestige watches. I thought the Psycho episode was kinda bland but there’s a lot of funny stuff you can do with Beetlejuice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah their WHMs are better when the movies are more recent or have some warts on em. Their LotR episodes are all timers but anything like Psycho or Casablanca are blowjobfests.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Invalid Validation posted:

They do better with movies that aren’t just historical prestige watches. I thought the Psycho episode was kinda bland but there’s a lot of funny stuff you can do with Beetlejuice.

I liked the Psycho episode a lot because they explained a lot of film theory and I honestly enjoyed that a lot.

Beetlejuice episode rocked and I ended up doing a rewatch last night because of the episode. Movie still holds up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Deleter posted:

Yeah their WHMs are better when the movies are more recent or have some warts on em. Their LotR episodes are all timers but anything like Psycho or Casablanca are blowjobfests.

Just so long as we never again reach the levels of abject suck-off that was The Royal Tenenbaums.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I know it’s an unpopular opinion around here, but I love Love Actually. I know the problem with the Keira Knightly plot and the guy stalking and obsessed with her (that plot line sucks), and the Hugh Grant plot has some issues, but I still love the movie, and it gives me the warm feelings. Just watched it again tonight, and it’s still great, and makes me feel happy.

That being said, I’m sure it’ll be a great episode. It’s okay to like a movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 4, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is anyone else getting weird Canadian(?) AI narrated commercials for some Dragonball game? I keep getting it, and it makes no sense. Surely some dude on payroll would be willing to read the script and pronounce key names and words correctly. Like, why would I even try out a Dragonball game that doesn't even know how to pronounce Goku?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Listening to the latest mailbag and ooh man poor Hunga Game. I have to wonder if this poor fat bastard is a fan of the show

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Just so long as we never again reach the levels of abject suck-off that was The Royal Tenenbaums.

They seem to have stopped jerking off the WLM movies like they were doing for a while. That was getting really boring.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The WHM boys have killed again! Ryan O'Neal just died right after they had a tangent about him on this week's Die Hard 2 episode.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Flying Zamboni posted:

The WHM boys have killed again! Ryan O'Neal just died right after they had a tangent about him on this week's Die Hard 2 episode.

brb tweeting at them about it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Die Hard 2 episode was a great one.

And gently caress, Ryan O'Neal just died? If you all want a good rundown on him, check out the Blank Check episode on Barry Lyndon.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Going through my playlist of Christmas/winter episodes and I could have sworn they did an episode on The Snowman (2017) but I think I just conflated the recurring Domino's Takeout Insurance bit (which started in Traces of Red) with an actual episode on the movie. "I left you all the clues Mr. Domino's."

Also, Jingle All the Way 2 being their fourth anniversary episode. :corsair:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

Listened to the episode a few nights ago and had to be amused by the timing when they started up on him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rewatched Silent Night, Deadly Night before the episode comes out and maybe the best part about it: the off-brand Christmas songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX0JJ-sstqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMpCygf1S8

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So what're we thinking for Worst of 2023? Lotta failed blockbusters to choose from. Flash seems like a lock, but there's also Quantumania, Indy 5, Renfield, Haunted Mansion, and The Marvels. There are even some secret movies like Hypnotic or 65 to choose from.

I hope they do The Holdovers for WLM because the world deserves an hour+ of Paul Giamatti impressions.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm thinking Shazam 2, The Exorcist: Believer, The Flash, and Five Nights at Freddie's.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Excited to hear the Silent Night Deadly Night episode today because I will be seeing Silent Night Deadly Night 2 in theaters tonight!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

So what're we thinking for Worst of 2023? Lotta failed blockbusters to choose from. Flash seems like a lock, but there's also Quantumania, Indy 5, Renfield, Haunted Mansion, and The Marvels. There are even some secret movies like Hypnotic or 65 to choose from.

I hope they do The Holdovers for WLM because the world deserves an hour+ of Paul Giamatti impressions.

Jupin liked Indy 5, so that's probably out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

dorium posted:

Excited to hear the Silent Night Deadly Night episode today because I will be seeing Silent Night Deadly Night 2 in theaters tonight!

Oh good, so you'll also be seeing about half of Silent Night Deadly Night 1 in theaters too :D

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

DoombatINC posted:

Oh good, so you'll also be seeing about half of Silent Night Deadly Night 1 in theaters too :D

lol pretty much. im counting it as getting to see both.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m planning on watching it sometime but 65 sounded FINE.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Flash
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
The Boogeyman
Quantumania
Renfield
The Marvels
Five Night at Freddies
Fool's Paradise

there's some real stinkers i watched this year that could be good fodder. Guess it depends on what they would like to do, but im still hoping out for either a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem or John Wick 4 WLM (or a commentary).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least there seems to be enough content to make a dc/marvel free month I hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

The Flash
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
The Boogeyman
Quantumania
Renfield
The Marvels
Five Night at Freddies
Fool's Paradise

there's some real stinkers i watched this year that could be good fodder. Guess it depends on what they would like to do, but im still hoping out for either a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem or John Wick 4 WLM (or a commentary).

Again, at least Jupin enjoyed Indy 5, so I think that's out. But they all commented recently that the 3 of them who saw it thought John Wick 4 was the best of the series (and I agree), so that's a definite possibility for the WLM.

They hated Five Nights at Freddy's (I'm in the "still haven't, still happy" camp), so that could happen. The Flash was offensively bad. Quantumania was up there, but more just boring and pointless.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m planning on watching it sometime but 65 sounded FINE.

Having a strong opinion on the movie 65 might be a sign a person is really hosed up.

I saw 65 and it was, indeed, fine. I see no way someone could either love or hate that movie.

If you cut off the first 45-60 minutes of John Wick 4 - everything before and up to the goons with super armor that takes 67 bullets each to kill - , then it actually becomes a good John Wick movie. Goddamn that first part of JW4 was boring (as was the end of John Wick 3, which also had the super armor for no reason).

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 12, 2023

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

65 is a low dialogue script and a creature feature with very little creature so there's not much there to discuss. Not a terrible movie.

Dark horse picks for January:
The Devil Conspiracy. Insane Christian horror movie (from the director of Expelled the intelligent design documentary) about Satanists stealing the Shroud of Turin to clone Jesus for an evil scheme. Fantastic trash.

Paint, the Owen Wilson as a Bob Ross-type comedy-drama. Honestly feels more like a fake movie than a Secret Movie.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Renfield
Voyage of the Demeter

Are there any other dracula movies

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dark horse picks for January:
The Devil Conspiracy. Insane Christian horror movie (from the director of Expelled the intelligent design documentary) about Satanists stealing the Shroud of Turin to clone Jesus for an evil scheme. Fantastic trash.

What the gently caress?

*Googles trailer*

WHAT THE gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Jupin liked Indy 5, so that's probably out.

I think it's just too generic and boring. There's not much to it. You can only say, "and now another random action scene" so many times.