Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there something wrong with the updates? I haven't played in over a month, not even trying to play now, but all weekend steam was updating and validating BG3. Whatever I was playing and doing other stuff. But it's still going, happened to see it while working and I watched it go to 99% validating then back to patching. I have a decent connection and most Steam stuff takes care of itself really quickly, never had an endlessly loops update issue like this before. Should I just uninstall and reinstall next I want to play, my saves should still be in the cloud I think? Guess I should make sure I had it enabled since it was being weird at one point, mightvd disabled, but lol I can't open it

Steam log shows a courrupted virtualtexture file somewhere, so I deleted it and that should hopefully fix the issue.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Geekboy posted:

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

It was so incredibly clear that you were supposed to get everyone inside that it never occurred to me anyone wouldn’t do that. I think I had one character die to an orb once on my first attempt and then I was like “oh, the orbs are deadly and destroy the ground the characters stand on” and made sure to move anyone in the blast radius on future attempts. I’ve only had it switch back and forth for more than 1 round when I had pets because they can’t go inside.

They play tested it plenty. I’ve never seen anyone else make the same complaints you are.

Even if it's obvious, they're probably like me in that some of their characters are faster than others and made it to the portal a turn or two earlier :shrug:

e: Also something annoying that is particularly annoying in this fight, when you select fly to a location, your character will sometimes walk to a place they arbitrarily decide to start flying from. That can definitely cause some members to get slowed down.

Larry Cum Free fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 12, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I said it in the last thread but Karlach makes a great Monk because all her “hi-yahs!” have Miss Piggy Energy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larry Cum Free posted:

Especially do this to allies with 0 HP rather than using Help/Revivify scrolls. Might as well get them back up from afar with some HP back.

That reminds me, why do revived characters do it with no action? I feel I have revived characters multiple times just to watch them die again without them being able to do anything or even escape. (I'm more careful about this these days but it's still weird)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Revived companions will only get a bonus action on the first turn after being ressed. You can use that to drink a potion, or hide, or otherwise escape to safety unless you're one of the chosen few who get an attack on bonus action.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You don't get a standard action right after a revive because you're still groggy. If somebody gets downed right in the middle of a bunch of poo poo, it may be best to clear out the threat first before waking them up. Or send in Mama K to pick them up and drop them somewhere safer before using a scroll.

Or just plan to use Disengage and run as soon as they stand up.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

exquisite tea posted:

Revived companions will only get a bonus action on the first turn after being ressed. You can use that to drink a potion, or hide, or otherwise escape to safety unless you're one of the chosen few who get an attack on bonus action.

No hiding either. Cunning action dash, hide, and disengage should be rogue only unless you are in haste spores or a mind sanctuary.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Geekboy posted:

I said it in the last thread but Karlach makes a great Monk because all her “hi-yahs!” have Miss Piggy Energy.

Hmm, I’m committed to minsc this run but I might make her a monk next run.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Geekboy posted:

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

It was so incredibly clear that you were supposed to get everyone inside that it never occurred to me anyone wouldn’t do that. I think I had one character die to an orb once on my first attempt and then I was like “oh, the orbs are deadly and destroy the ground the characters stand on” and made sure to move anyone in the blast radius on future attempts. I’ve only had it switch back and forth for more than 1 round when I had pets because they can’t go inside.

They play tested it plenty. I’ve never seen anyone else make the same complaints you are.

I kinda had some of those problems. I didn't struggle once I was inside the portal, but I spent several turns outside not sure what to do, just killing the various enemies. Once I realised that was all just a delaying thing and got someone inside I didn't immediately realise it was best bring in the rest of the party. Once I realised I did need to go to the portal and not just beat all the enemies outside, I made a further dumb assumption that stepping through the portal would be what ended the game and not that there was stuff to actually do inside - so none of the rest of the party were anywhere near it. Once I was through though I thought it was obvious but it was real annoying when it switched back and forth for the turn or two it took to get everyone else over to it

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Geekboy posted:

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized [spoiler]you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

They should've made me a playtester then since the zooming was loving awful 😞

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My second time on the final battle was so easy because my main was a Tavern Brawler Karlach. Leap up into the portal, chuck 5 spears, boom headshot! I didn't even have to bring anybody else through.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Uh, so has anybody had issues with really weird AI behaviour since the last hotfix?

Re-started my Honour Mode run. Was at the Ragzlin fight, fighting from the upper rafters. On Ragzlin's turn he threw a javelin at one of my party members but hit one of the rafter beams, and the javelin then fell and killed one of the goblin minions due to bludgeoning damage. Ragzlin then immediately did this again, targeting a different party member and having the exact same thing happen to a different goblin minion.

I know Larian breaks poo poo with their hotfixes/patches, but I've never seen an enemy do something that weird.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recently started playing Solasta since I needed my CRPG fix, and I have to say it's pretty good. Obviously, with its budget, it doesn't have the cinematics or writing of Baldur's Gate 3, but the combat is satisfying and very faithful to D&D 5e. Worth checking out if you enjoy that aspect of BG3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Haven't experienced that but have seen these bugs since the last patch:

- Enemies will dramatically die again upon reloading an already cleared area.
- Mobs will take a long time to move and sometimes the attack animation won't play for a long time, or at all
- Playable characters will freeze on their turn until reloading
- Scrying eyes become immune to all damage and can't be hurt unless pushed off of something

Also for some reason a random druid attacked me in the Grove long after resolving the entire conflict, after Kagha was dead. The other druids were hostile to him, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

grack posted:

Uh, so has anybody had issues with really weird AI behaviour since the last hotfix?

Re-started my Honour Mode run. Was at the Ragzlin fight, fighting from the upper rafters. On Ragzlin's turn he threw a javelin at one of my party members but hit one of the rafter beams, and the javelin then fell and killed one of the goblin minions due to bludgeoning damage. Ragzlin then immediately did this again, targeting a different party member and having the exact same thing happen to a different goblin minion.

I know Larian breaks poo poo with their hotfixes/patches, but I've never seen an enemy do something that weird.

This is genuinely loving funny. I had no idea thrown objects that miss still have physics damage like that.

There have definitely been times even before the patch where I'd prep a throw and the game told me the path is clear, only for it to get stopped by something in the way. So it doesn't surprise me that the game would trust its own questionable trajectory predictions.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Playing Honor mode, I'm fighting to survive, not save people. Throwbarian and barrel cheese, more goblins have survived encountering me than deep gnomes. The world burns, but Karlach doesn't, we hold hands while the cinders of the dead dance around us. Sorry Barcus.

Phlegmish posted:

I recently started playing Solasta since I needed my CRPG fix, and I have to say it's pretty good. Obviously, with its budget, it doesn't have the cinematics or writing of Baldur's Gate 3, but the combat is satisfying and very faithful to D&D 5e. Worth checking out if you enjoy that aspect of BG3.

It's also nice for modules that players have made, there's a few good ones out there.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

exquisite tea posted:

Haven't experienced that but have seen these bugs since the last patch:

- Enemies will dramatically die again upon reloading an already cleared area.
- Mobs will take a long time to move and sometimes the attack animation won't play for a long time, or at all

Both of these, though I had been having the second one before the latest patch. The first one only happened once, but it was Ansur and it freaked me out haha

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cannot believe how poorly designed the hag fight is. When I played it my screen immediately switched over to a message saying that I needed to send bitcoin or my computer wouldn't be unlocked. Smh my head how could Larian let this slip through? I don't think they did any QA testing at all during the multiple years of development and early access. More like Failian, am I right?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've routinely seen the "all corpses dramatically re-enact their deaths upon load" thing.

I've also had druids in the grove randomly aggro my party, it was related to Shadowheart somehow. And Omeluum attacked me for no reason too.

did the spider boss it isn't meaningfully different than in Tactical imo, the boss ability isn't a huge change?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

- Scrying eyes become immune to all damage and can't be hurt unless pushed off of something

They shouldn't be fully immune. You just need to do enough damage in a single hit to actually hurt it in ethereal form. Thunder specifically works well.

Most other damage has resistance (or immune) so you'd need to do at least 17 damage all at once to even inflict 1 damage.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2023

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Or send in Mama K to pick them up and drop them somewhere safer .

:aaaaa:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

if people are randomly attacking you, are you using Charm Person or Friends? Some people get REAL MAD if you try to use magic to manipulate them on Tactician/Honor mode

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A Moose posted:

if people are randomly attacking you, are you using Charm Person or Friends? Some people get REAL MAD if you try to use magic to manipulate them on Tactician/Honor mode

Reasonably so, imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A goblin guard yelled at me for charming him in the middle of getting myself whipped and now I'm not sure if my PC has Loviatar's Love or not.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thundarr posted:

This is genuinely loving funny. I had no idea thrown objects that miss still have physics damage like that.

There have definitely been times even before the patch where I'd prep a throw and the game told me the path is clear, only for it to get stopped by something in the way. So it doesn't surprise me that the game would trust its own questionable trajectory predictions.

I actually knew about the physics damage. If you have a height advantage and use a throwing weapon you'll still do some bludgeoning damage if you miss.

I guess I just got lucky with party placements in that fight.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Moose posted:

Persuasion specced characters keep winning. :grin:

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
out if curiosity if I kill both (act 2 durge spoilers) isobel and the fairy am I in for a rough time?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I couldn't make up my mind with what to play as for my HM run, so I made a party of 4 Tavs :haw:

Swords bard, will take 2 pala levels at some point
Storm sorc, with 2 levels of tempest cleric
Gloomstalker assassin archer
Ancients paladin. Will be 7 pala/5 cleric (trickery probably) for tanking with spirit guardians.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I had to stop playing for a bit because killing the owlbear made me sad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I had to stop playing for a bit because killing the owlbear made me sad

Why did you do it?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Someone posted earlier that Lae'zel's voice actor Devora Wilde has been streaming her BG3 playthrough. It's great because she's basically a normal person and it's nice to see that perspective. It's on Twitch I think but I've been watching it on Youtube since it's there as well

Latest episode: romance with Minthara

Watch it here

Quote: "This is so difficult, just like life" :allears:

Edit: earlier she was doing the big grove fight, got encumbered in the middle, and went to the inventory and sent all the extra weapons and armour to camp. Except that included the armour her character was wearing. So her gith fighter has just been running around in her underwear for a long time now. She picked up a backup weapon somewhere though

jaete fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
With Swords bard don't forget your ranged Slashing Flourish is really powerful, you get two shots at +1d6-10 damage each and you can aim both of them at the same target. So you can effectively double your number of attacks as long as you have Inspiration charges to burn. Of course, ranged attacks can't Divine Smite and there are more damage modifiers for melee attacks. My point is that Swords bard builds make for a really powerful archer in addition to melee stuff.

My last couple fights on my Honour mode playthrough I've opened fights with my Tempest cleric and Swords bard both with high Initiative debuffing the scariest enemy. The Tempest cleric drops a water bottle and breaks it with offhand crossbow (inflicts Wet) and then casts Call Lightning. With the Act 1 items that inflict Reverberation (https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Gloves_of_Belligerent_Skies and https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Boots_of_Stormy_Clamour) this gives 4 stacks of Reverberation which debuffs physical saving throws (str/dex/con) by a whopping -4. Then the bard shoots a frost arrow (chance to prone vs. dex save) or acid arrow (-2 AC surface). Then the rest of the party whallops the baddie. Note that the 4 stacks of Reverberation from the cleric is unavoidable, it can't miss or be saved unless the enemy is immune to Lightning damage.

Maybe it's overkill but Larian did some cool itemization and I like messing around with it. Will probably end up building my party at least in part around debuffing the heck out of physical saves with Reverberation.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tonetta posted:

Start as a class that has command:drop at level one,
You don’t even need to do that, Shart has it by default you just have to change what spells she has prepared before you go into the final tutorial fight.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

yes in the sense you can get one from each, you can't double down and pick the same bonus twice

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

yes in the sense you can get one from each, you can't double down and pick the same bonus twice

Plan was grabbing archery and two weapon fighting for Astarion so that works I guess.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hand crossbows go pew pew

the elemental and other special arrows are really nice, I didn't use them much on earlier playthroughs but they're strong especially in the early game. Then there's the rarer more niche arrows such as

I'm gonna have to be more tactical with these, seems like they could be clutch in some fights.

edit: ice arrows in particular get a shoutout as they can inflict prone

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 12, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I've recently become something of an "all ice all the time" party. Ice arrows on my duel-wielding hand crossbow Tav, ice bolt on Gale, ice knife on the two druids. It's hilarious watching Big Bads have their legs go out from underneath them.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The anti-species arrows are extremely powerful. I keep forgetting to use them but they wreck whatever you're shooting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Have finished the starting area on my honour mode run (Goblins/Hag/etc).

Impressions of updated bosses: Spider's ability was interesting but I killed it before it had a chance to use it. Hag's upgraded ability made that fight trickier but I solved for that by mostly avoiding casting spells at her. The Owlbear fight was pretty nasty. Two Owlbears at low levels (plus they zerk) = tough. I had two die during that fight but finished it. Those were the only three bosses so far that I've seen that had upgraded abilities. Nothing in the goblin camp did.

Overall, not too bad so far. We'll see how I fare at the Underdark/Creche. I have hit level 5 which in my previous playthroughs basically was the point where the game started to become really easy due to the power spike at that level, so I'm curious whether the Honour mode changes to bosses/abilities will give me a harder time this time around.