Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah there's a whole antitrust suit ongoing about how they disincentivize competitors from lowering prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

where can i learn more about this?

well, that's just based on my own experiments with different encoders (x265, NVENC, quicksync, and videotoolbox). of course, actual savings depends heavily on which encoder you use — the GPU-based ones are not as efficient across the board, but you'll still see a significant difference in file size. it's still readily observable either way though

an easy way to test this is with ffmpeg since it usually (there's like, two edge cases that probably aren't worth mentioning here) categorizes the same codec with different bit depth as a completely separate encoder, so you can just swap those out while keeping all other settings equal. the difference in file size is most pronounced at higher bitrates/resolution but the generalization should typically hold true regardless. allowing for an alpha channel will also give you some further savings in bitrate but not many devices can decode that (vs. a computer or smartphone)

just googling around i found this (with h.264/AVC, but still finding a ~5% increase in efficiency),

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269326380_Comparison_of_compression_performance_of_10-bit_vs_8-bit_depth_under_H264_Hi422_profile

this paper from NCTA (the telecom lobby) compares HEVC coding efficiency via PSNR, which isn't a great way of doing it imo,

https://www.nctatechnicalpapers.com/Paper/2014/2014-ultrahd-hevc-and-higher-fidelity-video-why-it-s-not-just-pixel-density-anymore/download

but still finds a definite increase in efficiency along with bitrate and resolution

here's one finding the same (different metrics, up to ~12%),

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...4a974a51f6072db

but like i said though it's just one of those things that's pretty easy to test yourself. if you're using an 8-bit file as a source you don't even need to encode it twice

e: oops put the italics on the wrong word there

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 11, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mystes posted:

I think "they just scrape other vendors to set prices the same" is an understatement

iirc they scrape other sites and punish vendors for having lower prices there by burying them in the search results

you can just say price fixing, every single big company is doing it right now

mystes
May 31, 2006

it's all the rage!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

you can just say price fixing, every single big company is doing it right now

it started with bread and now look where we are!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

welp so a jury thinks the play store is a monopoly

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364325/gov.uscourts.cand.364325.606.0.pdf

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

is the apple store not one as well?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

epic lost a similar suit against apple

it was ruled that apple is not a monopoly, but did abuse their not-monopoly anyway

so yeah, as far as the justice system is concerned, google, which allows sideloading and alternate stores, is a monopoly, and apple, which doesn't, isn't

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lets not let google off easy here, the trial was an endless cavalcade of backroom deals and kickbacks, there being sideloading that no one uses is hardly an excuse.

like, sideloading is a (neat, i think) thing, but no one "normal" uses it (good, i think), so how the cuts work and are demanded is very relevant. apple almost certainly should go down as well in that regard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

haveblue posted:

epic lost a similar suit against apple

it was ruled that apple is not a monopoly, but did abuse their not-monopoly anyway

so yeah, as far as the justice system is concerned, google, which allows sideloading and alternate stores, is a monopoly, and apple, which doesn't, isn't

iirc the judge ruled that epic didn't have enough evidence to show that apple had a monopoly, not that apple wasn't a monopoly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, on a basic level i really don't see how the play store is a monopoly and the apple app store isn't. like, at a high level that doesn't make any sense

although i suppose the evidence in epic v. google might've shown them abusing their market position in ways that apple does/did not? (or at least, not that they were able to prove)

but at a lower level, it kinda does make sense. like, just from the verdict form it seems like allowing sideloading or alternate stores is actually what screwed them, and that's obviously not something apple allows

i'm not familiar with the case at all (i haven't been following any of the google antitrust stuff either), but that verdict form mentions e.g. "agreements with competitors" and "Project Hug or Games Velocity Program" that make me think they entered into agreements to secure exclusives. or something. which obviously is not possible on ios/apple's app store since there is no other choice there

either way those specific items being on the verdict form speaks to their importance

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, on a basic level i really don't see how the play store is a monopoly and the apple app store isn't. like, at a high level that doesn't make any sense

although i suppose the evidence in epic v. google might've shown them abusing their market position in ways that apple does/did not? (or at least, not that they were able to prove)

like, just from the verdict form it seems like allowing sideloading or alternate stores is actually what screwed them

i'm not familiar with the case at all (i haven't been following any of the google antitrust stuff either), but that verdict form mentions e.g. "agreements with competitors" and "Project Hug or Games Velocity Program" that make me think they entered into agreements to secure exclusives. or something. which obviously is not possible on ios/apple's app store since there is no other choice there

either way those specific items being on the verdict form speaks to their importance

Well that’s interesting since i recall epic dipping into its deep pockets to try and buy market share by striking exclusivity deals left and right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't realize epic had done bad things, as we all know apple being the largest company in the world they are permitted every sin of their lessers, only if they do something truly *original* bad shall we consider the possibility that even big corporations may be bad

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Beeftweeter posted:

but at a lower level, it kinda does make sense. like, just from the verdict form it seems like allowing sideloading or alternate stores is actually what screwed them, and that's obviously not something apple allows

They knew that Epic was going to try to pull business away from them with their own store, so they paid developers not to use it and stay on Play. They planned it internally as a way to try to kill the Epic store before it could get a foothold in the market.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
https://html-lang.org/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Armitag3 posted:

Well that’s interesting since i recall epic dipping into its deep pockets to try and buy market share by striking exclusivity deals left and right

yeah, and them not being able to would be proof that google's monopoly on exclusivity (or distribution, or whatever) is anticompetitive

i mean, that's basically them trying to establish a monopoly but being unable to because of a pre-existing one lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

They knew that Epic was going to try to pull business away from them with their own store, so they paid developers not to use it and stay on Play. They planned it internally as a way to try to kill the Epic store before it could get a foothold in the market.
yeah and apple just said "no, gently caress you"

the surprising thing to me from this trial was google giving spotify a $0 deal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Salt Fish posted:

well, iirc epic v. apple was more about them not being able to establish their own storefront independent of the app store architecture. so in that context google's behavior being deemed a monopoly makes sense

again, though, it's difficult to categorize apple's market position as healthy for competition. personally i think epic v. apple was wrongly decided, but the 9th circuit and scrotus disagrees

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

same guy that wrote the "grug brain" manifesto, fwiw

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Beeftweeter posted:

well, iirc epic v. apple was more about them not being able to establish their own storefront independent of the app store architecture. so in that context google's behavior being deemed a monopoly makes sense

again, though, it's difficult to categorize apple's market position as healthy for competition. personally i think epic v. apple was wrongly decided, but the 9th circuit and scrotus disagrees

What I understand from my mandatory corporate anti-monopoly training is that its the coordination, planning, and conspiracy that make it against the law. Setting a low price to drive other businesses out of the market is seen as good for consumers, so that's okay, but if you write a letter to another company and you both agree to lower prices for the purpose of driving a competitor out of the market that's against the law.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

my understanding is that apple did not take advantage of the monopoly while google did - goog had some backdoor deals with people who would give them cuts of profit in exchange for boosting numbers and getting specical treatment and so forth.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pass.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple doesn't have to collude with anybody or strong-arm anybody to maintain their monopoly position, the hardware and the software is a single product under their complete control.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

What I understand from my mandatory corporate anti-monopoly training is that its the coordination, planning, and conspiracy that make it against the law. Setting a low price to drive other businesses out of the market is seen as good for consumers, so that's okay, but if you write a letter to another company and you both agree to lower prices for the purpose of driving a competitor out of the market that's against the law.

yeah the government's position that "low consumer prices means there can't be abuse of position" is idiotic and basically handed all of us retail to amazon and walmart but they at least apply it consistently

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

what you too good for javascript but with an even worse syntax?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
javascript feels like a language where you can get profoundly hosed up on datura and code something and it might still work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it is under this decision. the old ruling is in direct conflict with this one as the judge in the apple case decided it was about monopolies across all devices, not monopolies on apple devices. if goog can have a monopoly via the play store where alternative stores are allowed but discouraged, then apple absolutely has the same for ios where alternatives are not possible at all.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

javascript feels like a language where you can get profoundly hosed up on datura and code something and it might still work

i wrote most of my start-up's original nodejs code stoned out of my mind in a basement with a friend and it worked surprisingly well, as long as you put the npm start command in an endless loop to make sure it would restart whenever it crashed

i remember being super efficient after the first few puffs, then thinking i needed to refactor something, spending 3 hours confused as gently caress and eventually getting lost and forgetting how i got there in the first place. yet it still somehow worked

one time my buddy and i both got scabies after he returned from dominican republic, and the town dermatologist really would not believe us when we told him we did not have sex.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

my understanding is that apple did not take advantage of the monopoly while google did - goog had some backdoor deals with people who would give them cuts of profit in exchange for boosting numbers and getting specical treatment and so forth.

apple absolutely takes advantage of their monopoly of the ios app store, but the judge ruled that monopoly wasnt relevant.

when goog appeals its possible they use the apple ruling to overturn this decision in which case google is totally fine.

when the epic appeal of the apple case goes thru, its possible they use this goog ruling in which case apple is just as if not more hosed than goog since their monopoly is via technical means. theres no chance of them arguing alternatives were possible like goog tried (and failed) to do.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I regret reading as much of that as I did.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://news.vmware.com/company/vmware-by-broadcom-business-transformation

quote:

VMware by Broadcom Dramatically Simplifies Offer Lineup and Licensing Model

ah, yes. the adobe model

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if apple is hosed for their vertical integration control over the iOS ecosystem it seems that precisely the same ruling should apply to every game console in existence

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Janitor posted:

if apple is hosed for their vertical integration control over the iOS ecosystem it seems that precisely the same ruling should apply to every game console in existence

yes, this is why all the console makers were on apple's side in that lawsuit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

go play outside Skyler posted:

one time my buddy and i both got scabies after he returned from dominican republic, and the town dermatologist really would not believe us when we told him we did not have sex.

interesting and relevant addition to the story

scabies is trending where I live and anecdotally it seems like the most common treatment is just failing like it never used to, and I checked online and this has been noticed by many people

treatment resistance scabies — gently caress

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
scabie baby
scabie baby

scabie baby

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

also thanks a loving lot, google.

######

:dumbbravo:

i was trying to look something else up the other day and every result was irrelevant ai-generated seo garbage. i actually had to rephrase my search to find a single result that wasn't. i think we've finally killed the utility of the public internet
skill issue

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

also every smart TV and any other post-PC platform you can think of

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i assume this is already the intended subtexts of those posts, but to be clear: that's great, lets go!

also apple is larger than all these other troublemakers combined, so entirely correct to start there. we can work our way down to me having a monopoly on my armchair eventually.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean your mom has a monopoly on my dick at least for this financial quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pseudorandom name posted:

Apple doesn't have to collude with anybody or strong-arm anybody to maintain their monopoly position, the hardware and the software is a single product under their complete control.

But that's also a key problem that competition regulators have complained about in the past--there are huge structural problems with the various interrelated markets that form up the Apple ecosystem and Apple's use of its advantage in those markets to the detriment (and exclusion) of participants and consumers.
I just don't think they really have the resources to take on Apple and attempt to address it.