Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I loving love Necro so much you guys. I just got like 9 stacks in my last game. So many fights started with us getting a pick off, me hitting Scythe and then their Faceless Void dives in with the Chrono but can't kill me.

I was recently turned on to going Bracer, Bottle, Bracer, then Radiance instead of the ever popular Radiance Rush, and it's just so much better. You scale throughout the early mid so well, so fat and the Bracer regen is a million times better than the Null Talisman everyone at my MMR normally buys.

Rotund Jerry is best Jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I hate necro because 90% of the time the enemy picks him, my team has drafted so poorly he has a free game, or no one on my team itemises for Him before a core decides they actually need a nullifier as their 6th item.

Myself or the other support will get a quick vessel and it still feels like hes unkillable most of the time. I'll have to check my stats later but I reckon I have a horrific winrate against necro.

Im still on board the pos 5 abaddon train. Have quickly learnt od ruins his day. Getting astral imprisoned for the duration of your ult is just depressing. I've been first picking aba, and its starting to feel like I'm getting lots of od picks on the other team in the 2nd and 3rd phases. Od is another very snowbally hero that my teammates refuse to buy bkb or halberd against. I went manaboots > halberd yesterday as aba against od and basically gave him no early/ mid game which felt good tho

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Vipers Aghs is excellent actually, although hard to justify before item 4 or so. The best aspect of it is it's a mobility skill, you can jump up or down cliffs, along with a very long AOE disarm, and doubling his skin damage. But the mobility is the real key, hurricane pike is a natural buy but changing viper from a total plodding grunt to two mobility skills can swing many team fights.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I think it's really funny that Viper's 25 talent just turns him into a Universal hero. It's definitely a big buff but there's 32 other heroes who have that at level 1.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a unique if uninspired answer to the question, "How can we give Viper a good power spike without further tweaking all of his abilities?"

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Does blade mail reflect damage before or after damage reduction is factored in? What about Spectre’s dispersion?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The wikia posted:

Returns incoming damage before all manipulations. However, damage manipulation on the enemy still affects the damage normally.

Reflected physical damage is affected by damage block as well.

So if you hit me for 100 before my 10 armor reduces it, it'll deal 20 + 20% (40 damage) back to you, and then your reductions would reduce that 40 a little further.

That's for the Passive effect, but the Active effect follows the same rules it says.

Dispersions also " reflects damage before all damage manipulations"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

So if you hit me for 100 before my 10 armor reduces it, it'll deal 20 + 20% (40 damage) back to you, and then your reductions would reduce that 40 a little further.

That's for the Passive effect, but the Active effect follows the same rules it says.

Dispersions also " reflects damage before all damage manipulations"

Also, the physical damage blocks from Vanguard/Crimson Guard/just being a melee hero work on reflected damage, if it's reflected physical damage. If you have a crimson guard activated vs spectre, the reflection would have to be >70 (so like >350 right click damage from your hero) for any of it to get through the barrier.

Can be useful to pick up if you have a heavy physical damage lineup since it can absolutely save your supports from melting instantly while your team 5v1s a late game spec

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Decided to play some unranked all pick on this fine Friday afternoon and 2 games had people abandon and AFK and 1 game where my team just fed and we got stomped. Is this just unranked or is it because I'm NA? I really would prefer not to play ranked but it seems like unranked players give a poo poo less than turbo

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its dota

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if Unranked sees a higher rate of Abandons than Ranked, but I doubt it's by a significant amount.

Can't remember the last time I've had someone actively choose to feed. Although I'm pretty sure we were being griefed by a CM prioritizing Aura over all else, and "rushing" a Midas last night :sigh:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i've recently had 2 ranked WR forgo boots completely and every time i point it out i get flamed by them. coincidentally, those are the matches i lose. is there a guide somewhere that people follow that says to not get any boots at all? or do they think "the windranger gets there first!"!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Hopefully no one is advising people not to get boots on that hero. treads are extremely good on WR due to her being universal

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Kind of an old school thing, but heroes with move speed passives or escapes sometimes don't.

Weaver, broodmother, io (tether matches your Ms)... Probably not wr given the cooldown, mana cost, and treads stat value.

Just saying I'm guessing they're dumb and think they can just windrun for ms

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 9, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I felt like a big brain genius the other day for jumping inside a Warlock imp as Lifestealer and giving the little dude the juice he needed to run down the enemy Shadow Shaman. Dota has its ups and downs but is second to none when it comes to making you feel clever for using your skills exactly as they are intended to be used.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I have seen several support windrangers go arcanes instead, but yeah, windranger still needs boots

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I queued up for some Dotes after the kids went to bed, during the draft my internet flaked, and I got DCed. I reconnected with in 30 sec, but I was already out and banned from queuing for 2 hours. I can't even with this game.

edit; argh I guess I'll use this night to catch up on work blargh

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 12, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah if you drop during the pick screen before you've picked you gotta get back in pretty quick or you'll tank an abandon, it's gotten me once a couple months ago just because sometimes the game crashes on load these days.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ok so I'm a new player, I've maybe had three weeks of dota. In the past week, I've had maybe 3 disconnects due to the lobby not loading, maybe why wifi hiccuped for a few minutes, but now I'm stuck in Low Priority, where I can only do single draft. I've probably gotten several reports as I try to learn new heroes, but I'm not sure how to check that.

in Low Priority, I have to get 3 or 5 wins, but the queue takes 15 min to find a game, and when I join I can pick one of five heroes that I've never played before so of course I get stomped. How am I supposed to learn how to play? Like this is such a miserable experience, I've never once been toxic or offensive in voice, just trying to learn new roles/heroes, and a 3 dcs in a week. What an experience for a new player.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Welcome to dota2, you shouldn't have come here.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dota 2 really hates you for leaving games early. Like, a lot. In all fairness, it does suck for the other guys to play a game that takes up to an hour a man down.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
sorry about the low prio. especially when it's due to internet

try expanding your regions. na isnt especially popular and you should find games faster on eu/ru servers.

and expect the games to be sloppy. very sloppy

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Dota 2 really hates you for leaving games early. Like, a lot. In all fairness, it does suck for the other guys to play a game that takes up to an hour a man down.

In all the DC cases, I silently DCed on the draft screen. The only way I knew I was out was the draft screen didn't update at the right time. I always rejoined with in a minute or two, but I guess that the draft screen time out is a different timer than the 4 min in game timeout.

I think it's a combination of the DCs with reports, I guess? But it doesn't tel lyou

I can't spare the 15-30 minutes it will take to find a game, only to get stuck with a random hero pool and have to deal with this. I refuse to waste my time on this. I'm just going to bail out.

here's my steam report for all this:

I'm not too clear on the details, but it has me down for a total of three DCs.

1) I was in demo mode for a hero, and when I exited it it said I didn't ready up an was being penalized, but it never prompted me to join
2) silent dc in draft (power outage due to a storm I think)
3) silent dc in draft (no idea, the coordinator just said I lost contact)

The reports don't look too bad either, but I have no idea. All I know is that I just don't have time to wait for the game to decide to let me play. If I could just even do regular draft it'd be management, but I'm getting games where I have to pick from 5 heroes that no one knows, and it's just impossible. I see that I have a few games where I got 5 reports, but it's like I've played maybe 30 matches? I need to learn somehow.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lpq is where the magic happens baby. Long queue times for it though, I suggest judging overwztch cases as you wait

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Ok so I'm a new player, I've maybe had three weeks of dota. In the past week, I've had maybe 3 disconnects due to the lobby not loading, maybe why wifi hiccuped for a few minutes, but now I'm stuck in Low Priority, where I can only do single draft. I've probably gotten several reports as I try to learn new heroes, but I'm not sure how to check that.

in Low Priority, I have to get 3 or 5 wins, but the queue takes 15 min to find a game, and when I join I can pick one of five heroes that I've never played before so of course I get stomped. How am I supposed to learn how to play? Like this is such a miserable experience, I've never once been toxic or offensive in voice, just trying to learn new roles/heroes, and a 3 dcs in a week. What an experience for a new player.

dota 2 is an infernal engine powered by human suffering, the kindest thing it can do to you is chew you up and spit you out immediately. count your blessings and go play a different game.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got a copy of Super Mario Wonder. A game that can play whenever and whereever I want. And if I put it down to take a leak it won't ban me from playing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds boring

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just to clear not going to stop dotaing. I'll figure out low priority. They're guys don't even know I was raised in a dumpster and eat suffering for lunch.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Zeruel posted:

i've recently had 2 ranked WR forgo boots completely and every time i point it out i get flamed by them. coincidentally, those are the matches i lose. is there a guide somewhere that people follow that says to not get any boots at all? or do they think "the windranger gets there first!"!

gotta make sure you dont cover up her toes

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
one miserable lp win in the rear view. Two more to go. Wow this mode is awful. It's like playing with bots that can yell at you.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Super-NintendoUser posted:

one miserable lp win in the rear view. Two more to go. Wow this mode is awful. It's like playing with bots that can yell at you.

You can auto mute the enemy team (recommended) and you can probably mute everyone not on your friends list (probably for the best in lp)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly people try harder in LPQ than they do in ranked, sometimes.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I wish they'd gone through with the idea to let non-LPQ players intentionally queue up against LPQ players to make it harder for them to escape.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Being forced into just five random heroes is a nightmare, especially when I haven't played most of them before.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I keep hearing you say that but single draft is my favorite and I suck pretty much in general too. You'll learn a lot about the game really fast lol. I haven't played it since it was only three heroes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

I keep hearing you say that but single draft is my favorite and I suck pretty much in general too. You'll learn a lot about the game really fast lol. I haven't played it since it was only three heroes.

I mean I get that it's supposed to be a punishment, but the combined 10min queue times with games that are nearly unwinnable make it an unhill slog that I just don't have the time to overcome.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When I was new, my friend who was good at DOTA encouraged me to slam that Random button, or yea queue up one of the Draft modes

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I used to play a lot of single draft in the HoN days and when Dota2 was still spinning up, I think in both games it was the introduction of ranked matchmaking that pulled me away from it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I miss when random gave you extras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Sab669 posted:

When I was new, my friend who was good at DOTA encouraged me to slam that Random button, or yea queue up one of the Draft modes

how times have changed since the era of your newest friend to Dota needs 100 games in Lich or CM before they can play any other role or hero