Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Twerk from Home posted:

Chips and Cheese have been covering Loongarch, both older and newer products: https://chipsandcheese.com/2023/04/09/loongsons-3a5000-chinas-best-shot/. It looks like current Loongarch cutting edge is somewhere around Nehalem, but at lower clock rates. That's enough computing power to be useful still, and if you can't buy Intel, AMD, or modern ARM they need an option to keep the country running.

It also means that whatever 'secure enclave' or management engine they put in it will defacto include keys from the various state and secret police, since it's a product made in china, for china, paid for by the Chinese government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

They’ve been banned from the best parts for like a decade because they let their nuke guys on their 2014 era world-leading intel supercomputer. They’ve got a few different indigenous super architectures. Rumor is they’ve held off from publishing the results from their current top system on the top 500 list to avoid a political shitstorm.

This is also why the US is cracking down on asml exporting their best (and next to best) litho machines to China.

This is the same reason Japan continues to put billions into building the full tech stack to support their own domestic machines like Fugaku.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Why did I only find this thread like less than ~30 minutes ago? Y'all are my people. I'm home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.sifive.com/blog/the-road-ahead--

Random gobbldygook PR thing

BobHoward posted:

wat

Where'd you get this insane idea from? Certainly not from reading ISA manuals; there are few points of similarity beyond the bare minimum you'd expect between two ISAs that both get classified as RISCs. (We're talking big differences in some pretty fundamental design choices here - think stuff as basic as "the number of general purpose registers" and "how decide whether to branch".)

It's specific to arm3. I'll have to dig it up later today

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hadlock posted:

It's specific to arm3. I'll have to dig it up later today

It's going to be a waste of time.

Two universities in Northern California, UC Berkeley and Stanford, started the big RISC revolution in the early 1980s. RISC-V is named the way it is because its creators see it as the "fifth major RISC ISA design from UC Berkeley" (see the footnote at the bottom of the "Introduction" page).

ARM got its start eight timezones away on another continent. Its designers faced severe constraints which led them to create something that stood apart from the rest of the 1980s RISCs. Early ARM was such an oddball that it hasn't had much influence on modern ISA designs, including Arm's own: the 64-bit Arm ISA is a nearly clean break from its own past.

Do you start to see why I'm reacting like this? The ISAs are observably quite different, nobody sane would even want to crib from ARMv3 (excpet perhaps in extremely narrow ways), the backgrounds of RISC-V's architects wouldn't lead them to take much from ARM, and said architects have confirmed that their work most closely derives from the Northern California RISC tradition.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm reminded of the MIPS ISA protection where there was like... a barrel shifter instruction that was the only patented one? I'm sorta fuzzy on the details so Bob feel free to jump in here, I thought it was some Loongson ancestor where they stole the R3000 and re-implemented it apart from the shifter.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I think I heard basically the same story about Loongson and MIPS, but am equally fuzzy. If wikipedia's article on Loongson is to be trusted they did get some form of official licensing at some point, but are now off doing their own thing again, where "their own thing" still appears to be MIPS with the serial numbers filed off.

I've never gotten the impression that Loongson processors are widely used, even in China. It feels like one of those cases where the Chinese government is throwing money at trying to develop a domestic version of a key technology, but the outfit they're pumping money into is maybe a bit more about graft than doing anything effective.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah there’s at least like three or four different indigenous cpu / gpu programs and loongson is not one of the more successful ones.

I always enjoyed SiCortex, the last gasp of MIPS in the US. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiCortex . Don’t know if they sold any of them, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Do you start to see why I'm reacting like this? The ISAs are observably quite different, nobody sane would even want to crib from ARMv3 (excpet perhaps in extremely narrow ways), the backgrounds of RISC-V's architects wouldn't lead them to take much from ARM, and said architects have confirmed that their work most closely derives from the Northern California RISC tradition.

Yeah I definitely get what you're saying

Google history thing is running really slow for queries going back more than a year but it relates to the "Amber Core" which is ... I think... an open source implementation of the ARM v2a instruction set. I'll look at it more later.

edit: maybe this is what I am misremembering

quote:

Infrequent RV32G Instructions
Here are six categories containing 18 RV32G instructions that have one or two precedents.
● AUIPC - Add Upper Immediate to PC
The ARM instruction set contains a versatile ADD instruction which can shift and add an
immediate to a register. Register R15 has been the program counter register as early as ARMv2.

https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2016/EECS-2016-6.pdf

edit more: NO it was this

https://www.wch-ic.com/products/CH32V003.html

quote:

Features
QingKe 32-bit RISC-V2A processor, supporting 2 levels of interrupt nesting

I think it was their gobbldygook v2a that put me on to the amber thing. Here is my post from the arduino thread where I'm describing the processor and at the very bottom you can see my edit where I descend into ARM v2a madness

Hadlock posted:

Paid way too much for a RISC-V based, USB-C powered, uh, arduino-esque device: "CH32V003 RISC-V MCU offers 2KB SRAM, 16KB flash"

RISC-V is kind of sort of like ARM but it's open source and royalty free. It's pretty rare that a commercially viable, completely new chipset comes on the market you can actually buy. Rust, C, C++ and, I think, micropython already have gold/platinum support for the processor architecture

If you follow the raspberry pi thread you might have been following along on my misadventures of getting Ubuntu installed on a 1ghz 64 bit 1gb ram RISC-V chip. This is sort of the other end of the spectrum.

https://www.tindie.com/products/adz1122/ch32v003-risc-v-mcu-offers-2kb-sram-16kb-board/

Will report back if I manage to get a blink.c to compile and run, in uh, however long it takes to get here from China

edit: more specific specs:

CPU – 32-bit “RISC-V2A” core up to 48 MHz
Memory – 2KB SRAM
Storage – 16KB flash
Peripherals:
Up to 18x GPIO with interrupt support
1x USART interface
1x I2C
1x SPI
10-bit ADC up to 8 channels
1-Wire debug interface
General purpose DMA controller

Timers:
16-bit advanced timer
16-bit general-purpose timer
2x watchdog timers
32-bit system timer

Misc – 64-bit chip unique ID
Supply voltage – 3.3/5V
Low power modes – Sleep, standby
Power on Reset (POR), programmable voltage detector

https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/10/22/10-cents-ch32v003-risc-v-mcu-offers-2kb-sram-16kb-flash-in-sop8-to-qfn20-packages/

double edit: risc-2va

https://www.eetimes.com/cambridge-calling-the-rise-of-the-arm-clones/ this article is from 2013

I think this means it's equivalent to an ARM3 cpu as it uses the same ISA https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/acorn/microarchitectures/arm3

so yeah you're right and i'm very wrong

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 2, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

To be fair ARM naming conventions especially old ones are pretty confusing. ARMv3 (the ISA) was implemented in ARM6 (the concrete processor design) - from 1991. I can believe its out of patent but it's also old AF - used in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risc_PC for example. If you actually mean ARM3 (the processor design in the Archimedes) the big addition there is a multiply instruction and it still has 26-bit not 32-bit addressing.

Meanwhile the Cortex-M0 is a much more recent design that only does Thumb, not classic ARM (so mostly 16 bit instructions, very compact but a bit of a bitch to write a compiler for). It literally can't run ARM6 machine code and vice versa. It''s a low end microcontroller so a v different space from what someone would normally be aiming for with the above (but those specs do suggest 'low end microcontroller').

Oh from that article - 'The only thing it omits from ARMv3 is support for the Thumb instruction set.'. Err. Not sure Thumb was in ARMv3.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 2, 2023

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm

i have a lemote mini pc with a loongson 2f cpu, does that make me cool

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Well, I hope y'all are ready to destroy your RISC-V boards because they're going to be illegal pretty soon:

quote:

Some lawmakers - including two Republican House of Representatives committee chairmen, Republican Senator Marco Rubio and Democratic Senator Mark Warner - are urging Biden's administration to take action regarding RISC-V, citing national security grounds.

"Communist China is developing open-source chip architecture to dodge our sanctions and grow its chip industry," Rubio said in a statement to Reuters. "If we don't broaden our export controls to include this threat, China will one day surpass us as the global leader in chip design."
"I fear that our export-control laws are not equipped to deal with the challenge of open-source software - whether in advanced semiconductor designs like RISC-V or in the area of AI - and a dramatic paradigm shift is needed," Warner said in a statement to Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-china-tech-war-risc-v-chip-technology-emerges-new-battleground-2023-10-06/

The cleanest way to make sure that the US doesn't help make RISC-V better for China to use is just to prohibit Americans from working on RISC-V. After all, we've got ARM, which is fully under the thumb of the US government and ready to restrict Chinese access.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that proposal likely to go anywhere? Seems like a pretty hard case for national security to trump the first amendment for someone writing down how to fold proteins or whatever as an ISA extension, but I guess it’s possible. What was the government’s reaction to the proposal?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Of course Mark loving Warner is supporting this stupidity. What with being completely bought by defense contractors and priding himself on being a Moderate Democrat™, he'd support burying an entire standard just to fail at suppressing advancement in another country.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 6, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Is that proposal likely to go anywhere? Seems like a pretty hard case for national security to trump the first amendment for someone writing down how to fold proteins or whatever as an ISA extension, but I guess it’s possible. What was the government’s reaction to the proposal?

I’d assume it’d be like 40bit encryption which I’m sure is something you’d prefer to forget.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ugh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For those that didn’t live through it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_of_cryptography_from_the_United_States?wprov=sfti1

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's some lobbyist shenanigans going on behind the scenes, probably; Intel bought up a big stake in ARM right before they went public, and investors are trying to protect their investment in ARM

My guess is that in 15 years BRIC will run on RISC-V and NATO will be on x86-64/ARM

What a stupid slap flight. An ICBM will run on an at mega 328, and fighter jets etc are built in such laughably small numbers anyone can import the thousand or so high end industrial cpu needed for those systems. There's what 850 F-35 jets on the planet? How many gaming laptops can you fit in one suitcase? 20? 10,000 laptops in a single shipping container?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:hmmyes:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

https://www.hpcwire.com/2023/11/08/china-deploys-massive-risc-v-server-in-commercial-cloud/

‘Massive’

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

48 nodes, that's more than 1 rack full of 1U nodes!

Imagine if someday the Chinese were able to afford a dozen racks full of computers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
*slaps rack enclosure* You can automate so many lights with this bad boy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some really (really really) crude benchmarks show the sophon sg2042 at about 1/4 to 1/3 the speed of a 16 core, 32 thread amd ryzen 3950x. ZIP decompression isn't a very good test, but it's something. Even 1/10th performance is "good enough" for the vast majority of daily tasks

https://forum.sophgo.com/t/risc-v-public-test-platform-released-7-zip-test/263

If that is developed and manufactured 100% in-country then I think the cat is out of the bag on containing China's CPU ambitions. I would expect BRIC are all focused on developing their own microprocessor industries at this point. If we were going to build walls to protect this technology, we should have been doing it in the 1980s. We're about 40 years too late.

48 1U systems isn't a lot, but like everything in the semiconductor world, once you get your yield up, you can print chips forever on that process very reliably

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

48 nodes, that's more than 1 rack full of 1U nodes!

Imagine if someday the Chinese were able to afford a dozen racks full of computers.

12U of Bergamo.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, I hope y'all are ready to destroy your RISC-V boards because they're going to be illegal pretty soon:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-china-tech-war-risc-v-chip-technology-emerges-new-battleground-2023-10-06/

The cleanest way to make sure that the US doesn't help make RISC-V better for China to use is just to prohibit Americans from working on RISC-V. After all, we've got ARM, which is fully under the thumb of the US government and ready to restrict Chinese access.

Communist China AKA UC BERKELEY !!!!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
POSIX with Chinese Characteristics

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nordic Semiconductor is getting into RISC-V

https://blog.nordicsemi.com/getconnected/why-nordic-is-getting-involved-in-risc-v

Published a week ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did I miss some major developments, or is the author of this architecture book perhaps unreasonably generous in his assessment of RISC-V’s market success?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

If by inroads, they mean someone is talking about it in those cases? Sure. The euros have been talking about building a leadership class super using one since shortly after arm got acquired.

Actual deployments? lol, lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean “begun to make” can do a lot of work but it feels like RISC-V is still trying to catch Itanium in terms of actual production usage.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

espressif are using it in all their new designs but they've always been ISA contrarians, previously they used xtensa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what we really need are open source VHDL for a T805 Transputer, C004 link switch, and C011 link interface

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Did I miss some major developments, or is the author of this architecture book perhaps unreasonably generous in his assessment of RISC-V’s market success?

The security processor in google’s pixel probably means they can count all of those by vague technicality.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

likewise nvidia is switching to RISC-V for their GPUs management engine so technically it will be used for ML etc, though not actually doing any heavy lifting

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I mean “begun to make” can do a lot of work but it feels like RISC-V is still trying to catch Itanium in terms of actual production usage.

That's about where I am, I think. Lots of people are talking about it, not many people are shipping it. You can't go on Mouser and get a bunch of RISC-V chips. There's some SBCs I guess but nowhere near ARM.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
In other news Raptor Computing - they of the open source and increasingly inaccessibly priced Talos II and Blackbird motherboards for IBM Power9 chips - has announced that their next boards will use Solid Silicon's S1 Power ISA v3.1 CPUs. Details on who Solid is are light, but it appears the S1 is essentially a version of Power10 with the controversial closed-source bits replaced with new open ones. More info here. I'm happy enough with my Power9 that I'm skipping this one, but if there's any thread on these dead gay forums for news about OpenPower, I figured this was it.

also i'm finally going to get a mac studio yay

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Dave Plummer did a video about current IBM mainframes, a lot of it is probably already well-known by folks here but some interesting footage at 12:25 of the physical vibration and shock testing done to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouAG4vXFORc

Also check out the comments section if you want to see current IBM employees buzzing about seeing their work represented and former mainframe programmers getting nostalgic.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

https://chipsandcheese.com/2023/11/20/chinas-newish-sw26010-pro-supercomputer-at-sc23/

The things that made TaihuLight hard to use? We’ve doubled down on them!

(A correction: it isn’t on the main top500; hpl-mxp is a separate, mixed precision benchmark.)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I guess this would be the right place for Zhaoxin discussion even though its VIA's x86 license? The long rumored and leaked ZX-F / KX-7000 is now official:

https://www.zhaoxin.com/news_view.aspx?nid=2&typeid=273&id=1625

I imagine they are reusing already existing Intel packaging for cost savings. Why reinvent the wheel when you can copy/use something that already exists, the Chinese way! The performance target is apparently a Ryzen 7 1700.

Supposedly this is going to be on a 7nm proccess, and it looks like they have finally ditched the ancient S3 GPU they have integrated into their last few products, as its boasting DX12 and h265 decode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Interestingly enough, no SMT.

Machine translation of the spec sheet: