Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So I think my current router is showing some age and just seems like planning on replacement is a prudent course of action.

House layout is like so:

Red star is where the router lives and the measurements are just for the actual house area, just showing the garage for completeness. My main question is do I need to keep a mesh setup like I have now, or should I be able to just get a good router that covers everything? The current router by itself had a little trouble reaching the ends of the master area with doors closed, but putting a satellite in the south BR eliminated that issue. I'm leaning toward TP-Link at the moment largely because I have lots of other TP-Link equipment and I really don't have any problems with any of it.

I have fiber internet and four ankle biters soaking up bandwitdth when the sun is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/11/23997336/google-fiber-20-gbps-speed-early-access-2024

Wouldn't Google call you and ban you if you actually tried to use this capacity? Even 5gbps average rate over a month is 1.6PB of traffic.

Edit: Tangentially related, but have Google and Cogent worked things out, or is it still impossible to get from Cogent to Google on IPv6? https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/k9oh0k/cogentgoogle_dispute_is_google_withholding_v6/

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 12, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Explosionface posted:

So I think my current router is showing some age and just seems like planning on replacement is a prudent course of action.

House layout is like so:

Red star is where the router lives and the measurements are just for the actual house area, just showing the garage for completeness. My main question is do I need to keep a mesh setup like I have now, or should I be able to just get a good router that covers everything? The current router by itself had a little trouble reaching the ends of the master area with doors closed, but putting a satellite in the south BR eliminated that issue. I'm leaning toward TP-Link at the moment largely because I have lots of other TP-Link equipment and I really don't have any problems with any of it.

I have fiber internet and four ankle biters soaking up bandwitdth when the sun is up.

You probably could get away with a single perfectly placed unit (dead center and ceiling mounted) but it’s probably easier to just use a mesh setup. Human bodies are really good at blocking WiFi.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/11/23997336/google-fiber-20-gbps-speed-early-access-2024

Wouldn't Google call you and ban you if you actually tried to use this capacity? Even 5gbps average rate over a month is 1.6PB of traffic.

Edit: Tangentially related, but have Google and Cogent worked things out, or is it still impossible to get from Cogent to Google on IPv6? https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/k9oh0k/cogentgoogle_dispute_is_google_withholding_v6/

Maybe but given that it's hard to come close to that while doing legal things that won't be made vastly less frustrating by paying extra for business level SLAs, I doubt it's going to come up really ever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Honestly I'm just shocked Google has stuck to a project this long

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Man this thread is always packed with people stressing about getting more than a gigabit. What are you guys doing? I download a steam game once a year and am impressed something actually uses the dinky fiber package I got.

Besides that the 300 alexas and smart tvs and security cameras and phones and tablets and iot bs never touch it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bobua posted:

Man this thread is always packed with people stressing about getting more than a gigabit. What are you guys doing? I download a steam game once a year and am impressed something actually uses the dinky fiber package I got.

Besides that the 300 alexas and smart tvs and security cameras and phones and tablets and iot bs never touch it.

For me it was actually cheaper to get more than a gig speed than it was to get gig speed. Cheaper per month AND they threw in the eero pro 6e kit. We would have been fine with half gig speed outside of steam downloads. But we needed to upgrade because streaming to two devices plus gaming was saturating our bandwidth before.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bobua posted:

At least in my case I work from home some days of the week and have to download large files that actually does saturate my connection. That's around 800-900ish mbps on a gigabit comcast plan, and I feel pretty comfortable that it could saturate the 1.2gbps option if I had that from comcast. In the case of the UDR it actually bogs down around 600-700 mbps wired with nothing like IDS turned on and the whole network slows down until the download completes. It's both very funny and very stupid how underpowered that thing is.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 12, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The faster I can download, the less time I spend managing my downloads.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Gigabit is more less standard offering for ISPs rolling out fiber to residential areas. They spent the last decade deferring maintenance on their copper infrastructure and want to move everything over to fiber. Anything without gigabit routing is dumb and anything more than that is probably overkill imo.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I’ve got gig (fiber). I’m not sure I care much about above that for now.

My EdgeRouter 4 setup lets basically anything wired saturate the connection. I’ve been curious about the UDM in the past but enough people have complained it can’t hit gig WAN-to-LAN that I’ve just stuck with my current setup.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It kinda makes me mad because the original UDM that the UDR replaced was better at it and I think could do gig wired, but had an older WiFi standard. Then the UDR came out and supplanted it and is worse. I think the wifi specs were generally better on the UDM as well, MIMO wise, it was just an older standard

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bobua posted:

its nice to watch the game install or work file or linux iso go fast

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cygni posted:

its nice to watch the game install or work file or linux iso go fast

Yeah, linux isos come in a couple of minutes now. It takes longer to check for parity & unpack than it takes to download. What can I say, I love the instant gratification.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I got gigabit and the only wired devices I have are my unraid server and desktop. Everything else is splitting what seems to be about 400mbps cap my wireless network can actually manage to utilize.

My ISP is dumb though, my choices were 200mbps for $80/month or a gigabit for $110/mo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm looking for a new wifi router setup. Currently we have a trio of first gen Google Wifis connected via moca (ethernet over coax). Requirements:

* Generally fast/good
* Multi-gig support for WAN and LAN since we use moca and might upgrade to 2-gigabit fiber in the future
* Don't care about being a mesh network in terms of repeating the signal over wifi, but want the multiple points to behave as a single network in terms of connecting to them/automatic handoffs

Any recommendations? Ideally ones that aren't super expensive. Obviously multi-gig support means you can't go cheap either, but I'd prefer it if the units cost less than, say, Asus' ET12 (which is like $400 per?).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
What's my best bet for 40gb fiber from my office downstairs to my NAS upstairs? I've got 40gb mellanox cards on both ends already because the FlexLOM versions were dirt cheap, even with buying the adapter to standard PCIe. I'm using a QSFP+ to 1xSFP+ adapter and 10GbaseT for now since I only have copper in the walls.

Why? Why not? Bigger number = better than I've got flash in my NAS so I can saturate 10g already, and I'm in the process of rebuilding it with more cache as L2ARC and more ram for ARC so it'll probably be pushing 40g. That said, my 10g over copper isn't perfectly stable, and if I'm going to put in fiber I might as well make it fast.

I'd guess total distance is about 20 meters since I have to go up to the attic and over. I own and I ran the copper myself so it's not going to be a huge deal to pull something, I'm just trying to figure out what I should be pulling and if it's reasonable to buy it.

Looking at https://www.fs.com/products/36395.html?attribute=360&id=1992208 QSFP+ modules unless there's a better option.

Do I need 12-strand MTP or is 8 in a 12 connector enough? The description says "MTP/MPO-12 (8 of the 12 Fibers Used)" so I'm guessing that I can buy 8 strand pre-terminated cables and run them?

https://www.fs.com/products/30977.html (15 or 20m, I'll measure my run first). Crossover trunk, crossover patches.

Do I need to do anything special or can I just get MTP keystone jacks to terminate them in?

I've only dealt with fiber someone else has ran or in-rack connections, so I want to double check before I spend a few hours in the dusty attic pulling the wrong thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That's specifically for splitting a single QSFP+ 40G port into four separate 10G devices.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

M_Gargantua posted:

That's specifically for splitting a single QSFP+ 40G port into four separate 10G devices.
The cable? It's a MTO-12 to MTO-12. There's different cables for MTO-12 to 4/6 pairs.

Edit: https://www.fs.com/products/68047.html is a breakout MTO-12 to 4/6x LC

As far as I can tell 40GB is just 4 SFP+ modules packed into one, so it's using 4 fibers each way and the MTP-12 interface makes it easy to connect them. There's also singlemode modules but they're way more expensive.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nerox posted:

My ISP is dumb though, my choices were 200mbps for $80/month or a gigabit for $110/mo.

Sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing :smuggo:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

DerekSmartymans posted:

Sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing :smuggo:

An extra 40% profit margins when the majority of clients will use that additional speed less than 1% of the time?
Hell yeah (for the isp)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the split at my address is

$40 for 500/500
$60 for 1g/1g
$100 for 2g/2g
$154 for 5g/5g

feels almost apple-esque in how quickly the pricing split got me to skip over the low end and go straight for the up charge, those marketing bastards

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

500 symmetrical for less than 50 bucks would be the best ever for me but fiber isn't coming to my neighborhood any time soon so TS for my network

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Cicero posted:

I'm looking for a new wifi router setup. Currently we have a trio of first gen Google Wifis connected via moca (ethernet over coax). Requirements:

* Generally fast/good
* Multi-gig support for WAN and LAN since we use moca and might upgrade to 2-gigabit fiber in the future
* Don't care about being a mesh network in terms of repeating the signal over wifi, but want the multiple points to behave as a single network in terms of connecting to them/automatic handoffs

Any recommendations? Ideally ones that aren't super expensive. Obviously multi-gig support means you can't go cheap either, but I'd prefer it if the units cost less than, say, Asus' ET12 (which is like $400 per?).

TP Deco 75 pro units have a single 2.5gb port and a gb port. I believe Eero also as a model with 2.5gb port. More than one 2.5gb port and you are spending $$$.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Calidus posted:

TP Deco 75 pro units have a single 2.5gb port and a gb port. I believe Eero also as a model with 2.5gb port. More than one 2.5gb port and you are spending $$$.
Single multi-gig means you're only getting that speed at the main router, the one hooked up to WAN. But yeah I may just have to bite the bullet and pay up for more expensive solutions.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That's quite a premium for the equivalent of an Arris S33 in a rack form factor.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SamDabbers posted:

That's quite a premium for the equivalent of an Arris S33 in a rack form factor.

Not really? I mean 200 vs. 279 for rackmount versions i've seen simple rack rails cost more than $80 before lol.

For it to adapt into the unifi ecosystem and match the equipment / get rid of a dangling cable modem box hanging out of of a nice rack seems quite appealing to many people

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

If I didn't rent my modem front spectrum for free And that thing had a SFP WAN uplink id prob buy it but alas

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
xposting from audiophile thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042004&pagenumber=5#post536506146

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/networ...ignores-reality

A new three-port network switch designed for audiophiles has become available to purchase. Priced at an astronomical $4,349, the Innuos PhoenixNET comes with a multitude of eyebrow-raising audio quality claims about signal purity, low noise, better instrument separation, and enhanced realism. However, adding insult to our already injured intelligence, this premium-priced switch offers paltry 100 Mbps performance, as it the company claims that older / slower technology “results in lower operating noise floor compared to Gigabit.”

repiv posted:

found a pictures of the internals, surprisingly it appears to not just be an off-the-shelf switch PCB bodged in there

points for effort i guess

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jesus that is some serious power filtering lmao

And then they run it all thru single strand wires along the outside of the case back to the board with the RJ45 ports anyway lol

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Arson Daily posted:

500 symmetrical for less than 50 bucks would be the best ever for me but fiber isn't coming to my neighborhood any time soon so TS for my network

Two apartments ago I had a required 100/100 for $40 (part of the lease) but for $20 more you’d get 1g symmetrical AND HBO max from AT&T.

Also got an unlimited plan and an iPhone 12 mini for $43/mo from living there that I’ve since used to update to a 15 plus.

Overall it was a pretty good deal imo.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I know this is the home thread but seems like maybe I’m missing something simple so posting it here…

A bit of a long story here, and bear with me as I am pretty new to this...

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with a Xerox printer plugged into the UDM SE which can not connect to the internet. Folks on the network are able to print, however it can't hit anything external. We have all the default settings on the UDM, no VLANs, no advanced routing or port forwarding.

When I called Xerox, they said the 169.254.*.* was weird and that meant it didn't have an internet connection. That got me looking at the UniFi console.

I noticed that in all our other offices, the device has a Gateway IP of 192.168.1.1. This device has a gateway IP of 169.254.187.28. And all devices and APs on the network are getting a 169.254.187.* address.

Is this a problem or a red herring? If this is a problem, is there a way to refresh/renew the Gateway IP remotely? I've already put the Comcast modem into Bridge mode (it wasn't before), but that didn't change anything. I've also restarted the console.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

dexter6 posted:

I noticed that in all our other offices, the device has a Gateway IP of 192.168.1.1. This device has a gateway IP of 169.254.187.28. And all devices and APs on the network are getting a 169.254.187.* address.

Is this a problem or a red herring?

Yeah that's hosed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

"routers do not forward packets with link-local source or destination addresses."

Get an IT person to fix it. If you're the IT person, then uh get to reading about resetting and re-configuring the UDM.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the UDM isn't configured right.

I'd start with the network tab.

It should look vaguely like this

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Inept posted:

Get an IT person to fix it. If you're the IT person, then uh get to reading about resetting and re-configuring the UDM.
It’s me, Hi, I’m the problem IT person. If I was local I’d have no problem pushing a pin and resetting it, however I’m remote. :(

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah the UDM isn't configured right.

I'd start with the network tab.

It should look vaguely like this

I wonder if I switch from auto scaling to manual, and put the right stuff in if that would fix it?

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 13, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

dexter6 posted:

I know this is the home thread but seems like maybe I’m missing something simple so posting it here…

A bit of a long story here, and bear with me as I am pretty new to this...

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with a Xerox printer plugged into the UDM SE which can not connect to the internet. Folks on the network are able to print, however it can't hit anything external. We have all the default settings on the UDM, no VLANs, no advanced routing or port forwarding.

When I called Xerox, they said the 169.254.*.* was weird and that meant it didn't have an internet connection. That got me looking at the UniFi console.

Is this a problem or a red herring? If this is a problem, is there a way to refresh/renew the Gateway IP remotely? I've already put the Comcast modem into Bridge mode (it wasn't before), but that didn't change anything. I've also restarted the console.

I mean, the address for the UDM SE should be set to what you want the LAN addressing to be. In this case I'd guess 192.168.something.1 but it's something you will set on the device. If it's been configured differently then it could be the 169.128.187.* address. Maybe the UDM is misconfigured. Do you guys have an IT guy who set this up and can go fix it? The comcast router being in bridge mode is good but you'll still have an external IP for the UDM and an internal one and we're mostly looking at the internal one here for the LAN.

Since 169.128.* is a private address range (not in use on the internet, like 10.* or 192.168.* it's often used as a fallback for when something isn't working. There's nothing inherently wrong with the LAN using that set of addresses but it's usually used by hardware that can't get a proper address to mean "I tried and failed to get anything with DHCP so I'm defaulting to this". :https://www.whatismyip.com/169-254-ip-address/

Perhaps Xerox made their copier firmware not even try to get online if it's got one of those addresses, even if it should be able to use it, since normally it would mean some kind of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I mean, the address for the UDM SE should be set to what you want the LAN addressing to be. In this case I'd guess 192.168.something.1 but it's something you will set on the device. If it's been configured differently then it could be the 169.128.187.* address. Maybe the UDM is misconfigured. Do you guys have an IT guy who set this up and can go fix it? The comcast router being in bridge mode is good but you'll still have an external IP for the UDM and an internal one and we're mostly looking at the internal one here for the LAN.

Since 169.128.* is a private address range (not in use on the internet, like 10.* or 192.168.* it's often used as a fallback for when something isn't working. There's nothing inherently wrong with the LAN using that set of addresses but it's usually used by hardware that can't get a proper address to mean "I tried and failed to get anything with DHCP so I'm defaulting to this". :https://www.whatismyip.com/169-254-ip-address/

Perhaps Xerox made their copier firmware not even try to get online if it's got one of those addresses, even if it should be able to use it, since normally it would mean some kind of failure.
Interesting hypothesis.

I walked a guy (not familiar) through the steps to set up the UDM and there was nothing out of the ordinary with the process. The only issue is since he needed to share his screen he used a hotspot on his laptop to share while plugged into Ethernet on his laptop so I wonder if that…. ?confused? the UDM during setup?