Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can list like 10 Canadian stores with online shopping that have discounted GW minis off the top of my head. Surely the country with 10 times the population has internet shopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just looking at it, Element Games is a great deal if you're ordering something £80 or above, an okay deal if you're ordering something >£40, and a slight discount if you're ordering something around the £40 mark. So still worth it I guess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new site also hides a number of products by default, which are still available if can search them for by name.

It's a bad site.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

My LGS is a megashop for a lot of different hobbies, but the miniature section is run by an overweight neckbeard who does nothing but complain about his wife (ex wife now, can't blame her) and his health. Oh, he also thinks covid was a scam... Really likes to complain about his health while ignoring covid, it's just wild to see. I'm 100% masked so it's always "fun" watching him rant and be an absolute dumbass. He also loves throwing out the most inappropriate jokes.
Funny enough his partner that also works the section is a thin and balding long haired silent dude. It's like an alternate universe Jay and Silent Bob.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

moths posted:

The new site also hides a number of products by default, which are still available if can search them for by name.

It's a bad site.

The new site doesn't even appear in Google results when being specific which is wild to me. I was trying to load directly to specific Votann model pages in Google search with "games workshop (faction) (exact unit name)" and nothing would come up. You have to search on GW's website itself.

It's wildly bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

I can list like 10 Canadian stores with online shopping that have discounted GW minis off the top of my head. Surely the country with 10 times the population has internet shopping?

Hell, the tiny brick and mortar store that's closest to me has online shopping and the standard discount. The only issue is that they usually have a much smaller stock selection unfortunately

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Demilich posted:

The new site doesn't even appear in Google results when being specific which is wild to me. I was trying to load directly to specific Votann model pages in Google search with "games workshop (faction) (exact unit name)" and nothing would come up. You have to search on GW's website itself.

It's wildly bad.

Even Shopify has SEO built in. That's literally one of the first things you want to make sure is in place when you release a new site.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I lucked out and have one LGS in a mall that does a rewards style program and another LGS literally across the street from that same mall that does a 10-20% discount on everything GW. That's on-top of a GW store located 10 mins away downtown and another LGS that does regular sales about 20 minutes away.

I literally cannot keep the money in my wallet.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Look, it doesn't matter if the only thing GW has in the warehouse is thousands and thousands of units of Leviathan.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just looking at it, Element Games is a great deal if you're ordering something £80 or above, an okay deal if you're ordering something >£40, and a slight discount if you're ordering something around the £40 mark. So still worth it I guess.

Wayland Games is free shipping over 20 and is around 20% off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Wayland Games is free shipping over 20 and is around 20% off.

drat, THAT is a good deal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Got to make up for their previously shady rep somehow.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I've had no issues with them across multiple orders so ymmv!

recently had an order where I had some two thin coats paints pre-ordered and they missed the date and wayland refunded me the ttc paints and sent the rest of my order with free shipping even though it fell under the 20 mark without the ttc paints.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think they've improved because back in the mid 00's (or something) they had a rep for messing up orders pretty well from what I recall. I think I used them once for ordering an Armored Fist box and the 5th ed Guard codex.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: Can someone give me the tldr on the Farsight Enclaves, including conspiracy theories?

Farsight was a kickass Tau commander (Fought a lot of Orks and Nids),

He fought Orks on an abandoned planet with some old Chaos temples, accidentally summoned some daemons from the fighting in/around an old temple. After the fighting ended, he realized his ethereals were dead, and suspected the daemons were actually extra-dimensional beings. He kept up his military ops (defying standard regulations to go get new Ethereals) and eventually realized that in retrospect the Ethereal Caste miiiiight have been mind-controlling Tau ever since they appeared a long time ago.

He already had some heavily fortified bases on the edge of known (to Tau) space and kept going fighting Orks/Nids/Imperium that got too close, but cut off contact to the main Empire.

Also he found a magic sword back on that abandoned xeno planet with the Chaos temples. It probably is keeping him alive (If Farsight is the same Farsight and not an assumed title, he's over 300 years old which is older than any Tau can naturally be)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

factoring in the transport cost of getting to and from a store (and I think the only real wargaming hobby store in London is Dark Sphere) I might as well just order direct from GW

There's Bad Moon Cafe near Elephant and Castle but I'm unclear if they offer discount besides on preorders.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Aside from an ordering point of view, the worst part about the website is it's a terrible way to look at what models are available, what the armies do, and what you should buy. From a consumer perspective, if I'm new to Warhammer I have no clue where to start. The first item that appears when searching for space marines, for example, is the Ravenwing Accessory Pack. The second is the Codex, and the third is the Combat Patrol, so there's clearly an attempt by the designers, but why on earth would an accessory pack for a specific subfaction be the first item you see in the roster for the most popular army on offer?

Just a lot of bizarre ideas here. This is a user experience issue that would immediately get brought up in any mid-level e-commerce design meeting.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Found out my Sotar 2020 is fuuuuucked up today, ended up buying some Rustoleum.

I primed the ork ship, an ork tow trukk I made, and an Iron Warriors tank I made out of a used WW2 tank I found for $8. I think it'll be a proxy for a Bombard or Minotaur, but I can't find any official dimensions to confirm if it's in the ballpark size wise.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Honestly these are prob the best pics I could do given my light & space limitations:

Ork Tow-Trukk

My first and only Iron Warriors tank. I think I still need to do.... something to the front. Not sure what though.

Ork Ship, first few pics will be without sails, then the last one with the sail I made. There's also banners to hang off the back poles but I'm keeping them detached for the time being.

The Trukk is the second ork vehicle I've ever made, the ship the third. In hi sight I should have primed the first ork vehicle I kitbashed since it's just sitting on a shelf right now.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cease to Hope posted:

The way to make ogryns feel right with a mostly human army is to figure out what the ogryn thinks he's doing, and how an essentially cheerful but very dim brute would go about doing that.

Ogryn bodyguard in a command squad? He's not a bodyguard, he's a commissar cadet, with a comically undersized saber and peaked cap, and a heavy bolter that has clearly been torn off of something.

Bullgryn squad? They're combat engineers! Instead of clubs, they have a shovel, mattock, and a tripod that probably had a theodolite attached at one point.

Ogryn loader for artillery? Everyone's bundled up for the cold but he's stripped to the waist and heedless of the layer of frost on his back and arms. Come on, it's not that cold.

A bit late, but I just had an idea for an armored ogryn carrying an autocannon with a rating riding his shoulders piloting, for a sentinel stand in

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Archenteron posted:

Farsight stuff

He also has a suspicious fascination with the number 8 and is red.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

complained about this before but I still prefer the earliest version where it was implicitly a C'tan blade over this boring "Daemonic corruption? In my O'Shovah?" version

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Demilich posted:

Honestly these are prob the best pics I could do given my light & space limitations:

Ork Tow-Trukk

My first and only Iron Warriors tank. I think I still need to do.... something to the front. Not sure what though.

Ork Ship, first few pics will be without sails, then the last one with the sail I made. There's also banners to hang off the back poles but I'm keeping them detached for the time being.

The Trukk is the second ork vehicle I've ever made, the ship the third. In hi sight I should have primed the first ork vehicle I kitbashed since it's just sitting on a shelf right now.

These are baller dude, great job.

I think the Iron Warriors tank looks dope; if you were going to add anything to the front, I’m always a fan of sandbags on tanks and Tamiya sells them for cheap.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the Farsight info

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

The Demilich posted:

The Ork creations are just fantastic!

The Sturmtiger is a cool too, but something about the scale of the detail looks a bit off. The correct scale detail just doesn't quite match 40k "heroic" proportions.

I think exaggerating or hiding the Zimmerit detail and weld lines would help, and also swapping the hull MG for a beefier barrel. The tracks look fiddly compared to big chunky 40k ones, but I guess that would be really hard to change.

Even as is, you can probably use paint to exaggerate or hide some of the detail.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

I think they've improved because back in the mid 00's (or something) they had a rep for messing up orders pretty well from what I recall. I think I used them once for ordering an Armored Fist box and the 5th ed Guard codex.

Wayland are very good now. Their prices and free shipping are unbeatable.

The only irritation with them (and this is something shared across all the other retailers including Element) is if they oversell their pre-order allocation they don't always tell you and you only find out when nothing arrives the week after release.

They're good at cancelling and refunding though!

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

The Demilich posted:

That's a really cool converted Jagdtiger? Jagdpanther? Either way it's cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Demilich posted:

A dead space marine obviously.

Z the IVth posted:

The only irritation with them (and this is something shared across all the other retailers including Element) is if they oversell their pre-order allocation they don't always tell you and you only find out when nothing arrives the week after release.

Well that's good to hear.
Thanks Brexit for ruining my chances to shop from any UK store. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

A dead space marine Imperial Fist obviously.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even better!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

this is the main reason I still go to my LGS for minis because I can basically guarantee a pre order with them. End up ordering mostly paint from element and wayland depending on the brand.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Z the IVth posted:

These days I use Element for new releases (they do 20% discount on release weeks, which drops to 15% later) and Wayland for any existing stuff (providing their website shows it's in stock).

If anyone wants to see a clear comparison between them; for the recent LI launch I split my order between both sites just in case stock issues held up the whole thing. EG shipped on Friday and the starter box arrived Saturday morning. Wayland packed my order on Sunday and those arrived on the following Wednesday.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The worst part about the hobby is I'm not even done assembling 1000pts of space marines and I'm already thinking, "the Aeldari are looking pretty good this edition"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like the fun part to me. I've bought 1300 points worth of guard stuff in a month, and I'm pretty sure 20 of those shock troops and command squad are going to stay on sprue for a long time.

Edit: But also I've spend the past evening doing this

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 13, 2023

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Some friends and I recently did a Combat Patrol exchange to get some variety in our group. I ended up with Guard and the person who got the box went a little nuts and got me two extra Sentinel boxes and a Kasrkin box, so it looks like I'm starting a Guard army!

I want to make them really representative of humanity, which means a wide range of skin tones. Given the number of bodies involved, I'm going to be using the "slapchop" (or whatever current name) method to knock them out, which worked great on some KT kriegers before. Which I wish I hadn't sold now...

Are there good sources on which contrast paints work well for non-caucasian skin tones?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Testikles posted:

The worst part about the hobby is I'm not even done assembling 1000pts of space marines and I'm already thinking, "the Aeldari are looking pretty good this edition"

Me on my 5th army

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I maybe. MAYBE. need to buy 1 baneblade (and magnetize all options) and 3 armoured sentinels, and I'm done with this guard army

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Some friends and I recently did a Combat Patrol exchange to get some variety in our group. I ended up with Guard and the person who got the box went a little nuts and got me two extra Sentinel boxes and a Kasrkin box, so it looks like I'm starting a Guard army!

I want to make them really representative of humanity, which means a wide range of skin tones. Given the number of bodies involved, I'm going to be using the "slapchop" (or whatever current name) method to knock them out, which worked great on some KT kriegers before. Which I wish I hadn't sold now...

Are there good sources on which contrast paints work well for non-caucasian skin tones?

Wyldwood and the unfortunately named Garaghak's Sewer are good for Black skin. Aggros Dunes is good too for a more MENA to East Asian complexion. I tend to go over a generic flesh color like bugmans or sunny skin tone as well rather than a pure white

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The also unfortunately named Gorgrunta Fur also works well for dark skin. Darkoath and Fireslayer flesh are also good for a medium non-caucasian skin if you put them on a bit thick.

That said the army painter speed paint line has a couple of good dark skin tones that actually have the word "skin" in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also highlight the contrast skin tones with light pink + the contrast after the first contrast coat has dried. It adds a little bit of warmth without looking weird by adding straight white.

The Demilich posted:

This needs a big Halloween skull mantlet with the barrel coming out the mouth, IMO.