Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Digital Flower posted:

Any babby's first soulsborne level advice from pro goons?
Like I got a tenuous grasp of the basics like dodging gives i-frames and such, but some guy who is pulling knives and hammers out of his rear end is giving me bad time and I'm close to giving up.

I got some chainmail, and a big sword that I looted from some chav living in a dodgy worm circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I notice prawns aren't on the list lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That guy is actually meant to shake up long time series fans and has the kind of learning curve reserved for mid or even end game bosses from earlier games. That said you have plenty of options.

-accept the challenge and learn, he's a wake up call but not an out of place one.
-Elden Ring has adjustable difficulty. Think of squaring up with a boss and your sword 1v1 as Normal. Summon some bell spirits to make it easier, or touch a NPC summon sign, or activate online features and get another player to back you up, or combine the NPC sign and bell summons.
-leave and explore, find cool stuff, use it to fight better and heal/buff more
-spoiler, only use sparingly if you get frustrated and want to get past a wall early game: power level your HP. Like whatever you think is enough add 10 levels and try again.

Just remember you only get one blind playthrough so I recommend grinding against him and relishing the learning experience and exploring to find more stuff or a few levels to tune up. You can also freely use summons and spirits, it's each players choice when they want to get personal e-bushido points for the 1v1 kills. Spirits are very fun and the game lends itself well to bring replayed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Do the dark souls approach and simply get the boss trapped somewhere and then throw dung pies and throwing knives and the like through a hole at him till he dies. No I did not do this to deal with that tremendous loser oceirios on the first play through of ds3 where i realised half way into the game my entire build was rear end.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Big Bizness posted:

I was jonesing for more Souls (as I usually am) and decided to play DS2 again as well, as it's been a while. I've played through all the games many times now and every time I revisit DS2 I like it less and less. I know that favorites are subjective, but the game just seems unanimously worse then any of the others in basically every aspect. The controls aren't nearly as smooth as any of the other games because of a lack of granular directional inputs and the really sluggish animations. The visuals are gutted from the developers dropping the complex environmental lighting engine that was seen in early promotional material. The game had tons of development issues and that's reflected in a lot of ways, another being the generally haphazard way you travel from area to area, with only the most tenuous connections both geographically and lorewise. The bosses in the base game are almost entirely forgettable from both a gameplay and contextual perspective. But worst of all it just feels uninspired and lifeless compared to the others, IMO. The DLCs are much better but I don't think it's worth playing through most of the game to access them.

It me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Digital Flower posted:

Any babby's first soulsborne level advice from pro goons?
Like I got a tenuous grasp of the basics like dodging gives i-frames and such, but some guy who is pulling knives and hammers out of his rear end is giving me bad time and I'm close to giving up.

I got some chainmail, and a big sword that I looted from some chav living in a dodgy worm circle.

90% of the bosses in this game including Marge can bleed and are absolutely wrecked by weapons that cause bleeding. the big sword you got from the dodgy worm circle causes bleeding so you've already done step 1 of what my suggestion would have been

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I decided to give DS2 another try after no dlc news and I gotta say it’s growing on me. The movement doesn’t feel as bad when you unlock more and rely more on spacing than iframes, and I’ve even caught myself thinking the game is pretty once or twice (when there’s no godawful grass texture in view). And I have to admire how ambitious the game was- it feels really dense with regards to the multiplayer systems and weapon/moveset diversity.

I’m especially loving the small white soapstone; I think if they had brought that back for Elden Ring’s open world, but made it work like Bloodborne’s hunter bell where it searches a whole area, it would have fit perfectly. Activity is pretty slow but I still get summoned from time to time. No invaders yet, sadly, I guess that aspect of the game is pretty dead at low level. I’m hoping to at least get a friend to hop on and try out the pvp whenever I find the red sign equivalent.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 2 had my favorite levels in the game, even though they were not remotely connected together logically. Like Iron Keep with all its flowing lava being up a giant elevator that just hovers over Harvest Valley. The weapon variety was fun too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Reddit isn't working for me ATM but Return to Lordran usually takes place in january or february. I got invaded a fair number of times during that.

E: I mean return to drangleic

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 11, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Getting red-invaded in DS2 was always hard even when the game was new. Invaders have to farm the item so they can’t just sit there spamming red eye orb 24/7. Even more than that, because anyone online can be invaded and not just people who have opted-in, it’s much less likely that any individual player becomes an invasion target.

Now Belfry Luna invasions on the other hand, that used to be crazy. You could easily farm up dozens of chunks without even having a weapon upgraded enough to use them, just by being there while hapless hosts fresh off the boat from No Man’s Wharf wandered in and got eaten alive by black phantom midgets.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Getting red-invaded in DS2 was always hard even when the game was new. Invaders have to farm the item so they can’t just sit there spamming red eye orb 24/7. Even more than that, because anyone online can be invaded and not just people who have opted-in, it’s much less likely that any individual player becomes an invasion target.

Now Belfry Luna invasions on the other hand, that used to be crazy. You could easily farm up dozens of chunks without even having a weapon upgraded enough to use them, just by being there while hapless hosts fresh off the boat from No Man’s Wharf wandered in and got eaten alive by black phantom midgets.

PvP was one of the ONLY things DS2 made fun.

Small White Soapstone was great. Belfry PvP was fun, Rat Covenant PvP was even more fun.

Too bad about....basically everything else.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I dunno, I had way more hours PVPing in Oolacile in DS1 than anywhere in DS2.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I genuinely think the DS2 DLCs are incredible levels marred by the DS2 philosophy of "let's make every fight have about 3 more enemies than is reasonable to deal with." I want to love Brume Tower so much, but there are so many ganks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

I genuinely think the DS2 DLCs are incredible levels marred by the DS2 philosophy of "let's make every fight have about 3 more enemies than is reasonable to deal with." I want to love Brume Tower so much, but there are so many ganks.

:yeah:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I respect that opinion but I just tackled them like a dirty little poo poo who poisoned or shoved everything to death in demon's souls and it was fun and ruled. oh no I'm outnumbered, here, where there are tons of places for things to fall down and die? be a shame if that happened!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I game with honour, and shed a single tear as I was forced to cut down these heineous gankers

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only part of Brume I think of as having too many enemies is the whole side tower with the exploding guys. And that's mostly because the exploding guys are a really dumb enemy type that kill themselves for you and aren't liable to ever pose an actual threat if you just walk away from them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I game with honor but if the game gives me an inch to safely fire a bow I will gun down a mile, thus I kind of idiot savanted my way through DS2 blind.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

when in doubt

shoot it out

e: like seriously, my philosophy with these games is that they're full of ways for you to just be a dirty poo poo and get an edge on a ton of encounters that feel unfair and I both think that's great and lean into it time and time again. I get and respect the desire to game with honor and plank and spank your way to victory but that simply couldn't be me because every loving game gives me a poison fog or knock back explosion or heat seeking pest threads or the ability to throw bloodhound step on a bleed/frostbite whip and I just am always going to be an rear end in a top hat to all these bosses. false king allant bullied me once, never again

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 11, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, it's fun to meet enemies on their terms and kick their asses. Usually not worth the time after you run through a zone the first time.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah, I'm not saying playing that way is bad or wrong or anything, I'm just starting to realize why I seem to think so much of DS2 totally ruled when so many people look down on it. when you've committed to be a greasy little poo poo, it's a great game that will deliver fun encounter puzzles to solve at every turn.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

doomfunk posted:

every loving game gives me a poison fog

Plus poison/toxic is super strong in DS2, and the fog spells have no stat requirements or scaling.

Fight smarter, not harder.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Good shout on weeping peninsula, thats been fun to explore and I felt like I was actually then able to cut the stormveil gate trolls dick and balls off in honourable bushido combat, so now im exploring up there.

Also great tip on guard counters, I apparantly completely missed that in the tutorial and getting the *glint* followed by absolutely annihilating someone is very good fun.

One question: where the actual gently caress do I get the normally fairly staple items of poison and bleed cure moss orbs?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone_Fragger posted:

Good shout on weeping peninsula, thats been fun to explore and I felt like I was actually then able to cut the stormveil gate trolls dick and balls off in honourable bushido combat, so now im exploring up there.

Also great tip on guard counters, I apparantly completely missed that in the tutorial and getting the *glint* followed by absolutely annihilating someone is very good fun.

One question: where the actual gently caress do I get the normally fairly staple items of poison and bleed cure moss orbs?

Poison cure recipe is sold by the merchant on the beach near Boc’s cave (western shore of Limgrave). Not sure about the bleed one.

There’s also a 12 Faith incantation in a fire monk camp in eastern Liurnia that cures poison and rot, which I would get on almost any character

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It also does a tiny bit of fire damage, so it cures cold too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think the sketchy merchant in the southern part of East Limgrave sells the blood recipe. His inventory is full of hosed up stuff. E: nevermind, it's in Northern Stormhill on what used to be the ridge to Liurnia

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 12, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

skasion posted:

Poison cure recipe is sold by the merchant on the beach near Boc’s cave (western shore of Limgrave). Not sure about the bleed one.

There’s also a 12 Faith incantation in a fire monk camp in eastern Liurnia that cures poison and rot, which I would get on almost any character

Ah! Its a crafting recipe and item, that makes sense why I couldn't find them anywhere.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ah! Its a crafting recipe and item, that makes sense why I couldn't find them anywhere.

Yeah, merchants usually sell the consumable somewhere, but typically the ones in earliest areas sell a limited number, with the intent being for you to craft them from foraged ingredients.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Always buy the clue parchments from merchants as well, imo they add a fun little scavenger hunt flare

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Blind playthrough continues unabated; I’ve hit 40/40/40 str/vig/end and have rolled my way through a ridiculous amount of pre-Altus content (now roaming west of Capital Outskirts) including fumbling my way to the MLGS (which I am far too stupid to use the Ash of). Beginning to consider respecs having accumulated 11 larval tears. What’s a good respec out of Big Bonk (that isn’t pure caster, which I hate). Bleed? Poison?

This game is in danger of perhaps having too many poison swamps to be reasonable.

skasion posted:

At the peak of my Scholar mania I absolutely min-maxed an invasion troll for Belfry Luna by speed running Agape/ RoB/ Flynn on a min-stat Rapier build at a mathematically-as-close-to-0 soul memory as possible.

Bell PVP is the best PVP that’s ever existed in the Soulsborne series.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In Shadow of the Erdtree they need to make the final boss a Royal Revenant, Rune Bear, Prawn and Blood Crow all jammed into a tiny room with the player that's also a toxic swamp that forces fat rolls.

And uh... they're all doing a creepy laugh all the time like every souls NPC.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Never leave big bonk.
Equip brick on a stick.
Continue to bonk.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Now see I have never had an issue with revenants but I, to this day, have never killed a crawdad.

Because I have either always died or because of that I always avoid them.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Never leave big bonk.
Equip brick on a stick.
Continue to bonk.

Or as I like to say with the big hammer bois when chaining strong attacks:

Flippity floppity you get the bonkity

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

dialhforhero posted:

Now see I have never had an issue with revenants but I, to this day, have never killed a crawdad.

Because I have either always died or because of that I always avoid them.

Revenants are a bizarre enemy because they have an in-built weakness that makes them completely trivial but if you aren't aware of it I hope you like dying instantly to their windmill of arms. I legit think its a pretty poorly designed enemy when it boils down to a choice between pressing a button and killing them instantly in a sort of stupid and cheap way or trying to fight them normally and getting killed in two seconds with their ridiculous flailing limbs flapping in every possible direction like a bunch of blindfolded crows stuffed into a bag.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 13, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ElehemEare posted:

Blind playthrough continues unabated; I’ve hit 40/40/40 str/vig/end and have rolled my way through a ridiculous amount of pre-Altus content (now roaming west of Capital Outskirts) including fumbling my way to the MLGS (which I am far too stupid to use the Ash of). Beginning to consider respecs having accumulated 11 larval tears. What’s a good respec out of Big Bonk (that isn’t pure caster, which I hate). Bleed? Poison?
Guts sword casting blood flame on it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

khwarezm posted:

Revenants are a bizarre enemy because they have an in-built weakness that makes them completely trivial but if you aren't aware of it I hope you like dying instantly to their windmill of arms. I legit think its a pretty poorly designed enemy when it boils down to a choice between pressing a button and killing them instantly in a sort of stupid and cheap way or trying to fight them normally and getting killed in two seconds with their ridiculous flailing limbs flapping in every possible direction like a bunch of blindfolded crows stuffed into a bag.

This is true although I also enjoy the fact that the game contains enemies that embody the principle of "gently caress you if you think you can melee me; this game is not built so that you can fight everything with a short-reach melee weapon."

It would probably come across better if the game had more "undead" enemies that have the traditional weakness to healing magic instead of a single enemy that does in spite of not even being the most undead guy in town.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Best of both worlds: great stars where you bonk n bleed.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

khwarezm posted:

Something I found out on a greatshield run is that if you get a high enough stability shield, then when they start their zillion attack flurry, the first attack will bounce off your shield and interrupt the whole combo immediately. Still annoying if you're going shieldless ofc, but very funny when it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Even the revenants fell to the Brick on a Stick.
We did not know about the trick. We just dodged and bonked…