Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

hot take, in addition to account creation fees, i think micro transaction fees uploading content should also be a thing.

mods shouldnt have to risk some of the worst infohazards for modding. if bad actors had to add a digital fin paper trail they wouldnt pollute the upper surface levels of the internet.

Mayube we can make a "chain" of cryptographically signed "blocks" for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The first screenshot has one Wikipedia search result plus an infobox. An infobox is not a search result. Furthermore, the second screenshot shows full paragraphs from Wikipedia, while the first shows a couple of sentences.

The same paragraph from wikipedia is on the righthand side of the Google result. Either way, neither picture is "clogged with SEO spam", they're just presenting the same information in different places

Your original post said

quote:

Notice that the top of the Google results page is a synthesized textbox,
Which is the opposite of what your results actually show, DDG has a synthesized textbox at the top and Google has a link to Wikipedia at the top

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(splitting this up to provide page break)
Now search for [red dog].
Scroll past the top level of infoboxes, but stay on the first page.
Google:

Note the Red Dog Saloon and Red Dog Pet Salon and Spa.

DuckDuckGo:

Notes: I've never searched for "red dog" before, and I don't live in either of the states with the saloon and salon.

You scrolled past all the DDG pictures of random red dogs that take up a 3rd of the screen and the link to "16 red dog breeds that turn heads" in the top 3 results

The top 3 results on Google (for me) are the wikipedia article, the IMDB page, and a link to the movie on Amazon prime while DDG is the wikipedia article, the IMDB page, and that random article about red dogs. The Google results here are clearly better if I'm looking for information about the movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jose Valasquez posted:

If SA is any indication a $10 fee for posting hosed up poo poo is not going to stop people

I don't agree with this. Sure, there's a fair share of shitposting here but nothing like a Reddit thread or certainly your average comments section. Moderation may have more to do with that but, by and large, I find this site to be more readable and easier to navigate than a lot of poo poo I find out there. A lot of threads here genuinely offer useful links and first hand information for the topic(s) at hand.

I like it here.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There's one clearly ill person who goes off-meds and registers 10 accounts in a week and has probably spent about 2 grand on accounts so far (if not more), but they're definitely an outlier.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
anecdotal evidence , when multiplayer games lower their price, Griefing and trolling increases, and WHEN it becomes freemium or free to play a floodgate opens. with another friction gate being how easy accounts are to make.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Looks like another group of tech bros have played BioShock and taken it as aspirational rather than cautionary: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/12/style/praxis-city-dryden-brown.html

The whole thing is worth a read for how dumb it all is but the following stood out:

quote:

The guide denounces “enemies of vitality,” who “reject what they consider the optional ‘European beauty standards.” It goes on to extol “traditional, European/Western beauty standards on which the civilized world, at its best points, has always found success.”

Beauty, here, connotes proper breeding: “In humans, beauty implies a number of things — namely that two people, themselves of beauty, formed a union to create more beautiful life,” it reads...

In Amsterdam, Mr. Brown described Praxis as his response to being trapped inside his apartment during Covid, mixed with his longstanding interest in colonial America. “Ready to join America in 1776?” reads a company pitch deck.

In 2022, Mr. Brown had been more specific about his motivation to build a city from scratch, telling a speechwriter that he got the idea for Praxis after witnessing looters break shop windows in SoHo during the protests that followed the murder of George Floyd.

Applying only to Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, and Cambridge, Mr. Brown was rejected by them all, he told Mr. Stone. He ended up at N.Y.U., tried to transfer to Stanford, and was rejected again. Eventually, he stopped attending college and was hired as an analyst at a hedge fund. There, he met Charlie Callinan, a former Boston College wide receiver who is Mr. Brown’s co-founder at Praxis.

Per the transcript, Mr. Brown was fired from his job at the hedge fund, but he had never dropped his dream of building a city. With several thousand dollars that Mr. Callinan had won in a golf tournament, the two traveled in 2019 first to Nigeria and then to Ghana, talking their way into a room with Ghana’s vice president, in which they proposed building a financial center. But the pandemic derailed those plans.

In September 2020, Mr. Brown wrote a thread on Twitter about the madcap series of events that went into the meeting in Accra. After, he was mocked online and accused of dilettantism and neocolonialism. Mr. Brown told the speechwriter those insults engaged his fight-or-flight response.

In an interview with The New York Times, Mr. Stone said that during his time working in the Praxis office he was struck that “nobody seemed to have a definable skill set. There was no one with engineering, planning, language or communications skills.”

In an undated Instagram story from inside the Praxis office that was reviewed by The New York Times, a man measured Mr. Brown’s face using calipers — one of the main tools of physiognomy, the pseudoscience of judging character from facial characteristics, and of phrenology, the discredited science of predicting mental traits by measuring bumps on the skull. Mr. Brown did not clarify in his email response why he wanted his head measured.

Internal Praxis documents outline three “persona groups” who will populate the Praxis city. They are “warriors,” who are “muscular” and “clean” and protect society from threats; “priests,” who are “very thin,” and “define the values and beliefs of society”; and “merchants,” who are “portly” and “bearded,” and include venture capitalists and cryptocurrency professionals.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
npr had a bit about OpenAI's leadership drama and they mention the weird cult boys club where they play a chess variant called bughouse .

lol at techbros and their tokens and shibboleths of """"""superiority""""""""".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am not sure if it's OpenAI being weird or NPR making a big mystical deal about a silly chess variant.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You can explain bughouse in a couple sentences. Nerdy? Sure. It'd make a lovely shibboleth tho

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Bughouse is fun. Is it a techbro shibboleth now?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
The folks I knew who were in chess club in college definitely played bughouse too, I don't think it's all that obscure. I don't think it's all that much more telling than playing chess in the first place, or the stories or Settlers of Catan being a trend for a certain group of executives or whatever

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jose Valasquez posted:

Either way, neither picture is "clogged with SEO spam", they're just presenting the same information in different places

The infoboxes can be turned off. Settings -> Labs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BougieBitch posted:

The folks I knew who were in chess club in college definitely played bughouse too, I don't think it's all that obscure. I don't think it's all that much more telling than playing chess in the first place, or the stories or Settlers of Catan being a trend for a certain group of executives or whatever

Catan is such bad taste in games though.

Like I’ll play it once a year in family gatherings if they want, but I’d rather be playing even Monopoly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
fellas is it weird to (checks notes) play games with peers to have fun?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thekeeshman posted:

quote:

The guide denounces “enemies of vitality,” who “reject what they consider the optional ‘European beauty standards.” It goes on to extol “traditional, European/Western beauty standards on which the civilized world, at its best points, has always found success.”

I have to assume that the elevator pitch he has for this is 14 words long and the words sum to 88 letters.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Boris Galerkin posted:

fellas is it weird to (checks notes) play games with peers to have fun?

The part about having fun is weird.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Platystemon posted:

Catan is such bad taste in games though.

Like I’ll play it once a year in family gatherings if they want, but I’d rather be playing even Monopoly.

Oh, absolutely agree, but it is entry-level and not really all that out of the ordinary for nerds in general, not some signifier for silicon valley. Same is true for bughouse chess as far as I can tell - it makes them nerds, but it isn't some weird gatekeeping thing in all likelihood, just the exact sort of hobby you would expect

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I am once again asking anyone who complains about Google's results being trash "lately" to run the same search in an Incognito session and report back on any differences in results.

I am begging for this to happen. I want to know, please tell me what happens, because my results are still useful and there's obviously something to be learned here.

e. At the very least tell me a search term you've used where the results are clogged with trash so I can run the comparison myself.

I broadly dislike search engines in general now, but wanted to hop in on this and see how bad it was. Here's some interesting poo poo mostly because I wasn't expecting the outcome.

Incognito "information about Christmas" in Google on Chrome

Non-Incognito "information about Christmas" in Google on Chrome

Duck Duck Go in Google Chrome

My biggest surprise is how different "logged in" Google Chrome is from Incognito form, honestly. Incognito delivers literally no non-sponsored results without scrolling, including no sidebar with any real information either. I also checked to see whether my "C" vs "c" Christmas mattered after I realized I'd done that, and the results were the same.

Logged-in was more or less fine. Duck Duck Go was fine except for the useless recent news section. Incognito Google Chrome was laughably bad.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 13, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chess doesn’t have enough strategic complexity.

The techbro meta is all about Polytopia.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, okay, we get it, you're poly

The only poly I am is Roly poly

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll say it again, you can turn Google's infoboxes off.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Chess doesn’t have enough strategic complexity.

The techbro meta is all about Polytopia.

I enjoyed Polytopia, but haven't played in a bit and I enjoyed it because it feels like a cut down to 20 mins a game Civ1. I never really thought of it as having strategic complexity over chess though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m joking about this.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1500470661382172673

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Sundae posted:

I broadly dislike search engines in general now, but wanted to hop in on this and see how bad it was...
If you want a basic search engine that just gives good results, I really like to use DuckDuckGo's HTML-only mode. It just presents paginated search results with no personalisation or cutaway sections. I wish more websites were as fast and purpose-driven as this. JavaScript is a loaded gun and web developers can't be trusted with it, bring back the <marquee> element and gifs of cool skeletons jamming out to MIDI renditions of the Simpsons theme.

Like mllaneza said, you can hide some of the shittier parts of Google by poking through the Labs and settings, but that requires logging in to a Google account (or permanently accepting cookies at a minimum), so so it doesn't do anything about the personalised results. This is really only a concern for the, like, ten of us who don't have a Google account.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Sundae posted:

Logged-in was more or less fine. Duck Duck Go was fine except for the useless recent news section. Incognito Google Chrome was laughably bad.

Is your adblocker enabled in incognito mode?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mumblyfish posted:

If you want a basic search engine that just gives good results, I really like to use DuckDuckGo's HTML-only mode. It just presents paginated search results with no personalisation or cutaway sections. I wish more websites were as fast and purpose-driven as this. JavaScript is a loaded gun and web developers can't be trusted with it, bring back the <marquee> element and gifs of cool skeletons jamming out to MIDI renditions of the Simpsons theme.

Like mllaneza said, you can hide some of the shittier parts of Google by poking through the Labs and settings, but that requires logging in to a Google account (or permanently accepting cookies at a minimum), so so it doesn't do anything about the personalised results. This is really only a concern for the, like, ten of us who don't have a Google account.

Is there a way to make it so that Firefox uses DuckDuckGo's HTML mode automatically? (like if you just type your search string into the address bar)

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Gort posted:

Is there a way to make it so that Firefox uses DuckDuckGo's HTML mode automatically? (like if you just type your search string into the address bar)
There is! Firefox has made it more unneccessarily complicated lately, as you used to be able to just define your own custom search engines with wildcards -- DDG HTML would have been https://html.duckduckgo.com/html/?q=%s , where %s is your search query.

This bit of FF documentation should help. You only need the three-step "Add a search engine from the Search bar" option.

Turn on the search bar, go to DDG HTML, click the magnifying glass with the green plus symbol on your search bar to add it. Then go to Settings > Search. Turn off the search bar if you don't want to keep it, and make DuckDuckGo HTML your default search engine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think this is a good move and all car companies should follow suit

https://jalopnik.com/gm-drops-apple-carplay-android-auto-unsafe-phone-1851093013

GM Says It's Dropping Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Because They're Unsafe

I have an old car but rented a newer one not long ago and it amazed me how distracting the screen was. Could be I'm simply not used to it but the thing really was an eye magnet. We're told not to be on our phones and drive while distracted but there's a proportionately huge TV screen right there in the center console that uses another device to operate.

Maybe make it so the car has to be stopped or in park for the screen to operate but not sure how practical that is either.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BiggerBoat posted:

https://jalopnik.com/gm-drops-apple-carplay-android-auto-unsafe-phone-1851093013

I have an old car but rented a newer one not long ago and it amazed me how distracting the screen was. Could be I'm simply not used to it but the thing really was an eye magnet. We're told not to be on our phones and drive while distracted but there's a proportionately huge TV screen right there in the center console that uses another device to operate.

Maybe make it so the car has to be stopped or in park for the screen to operate but not sure how practical that is either.
That's actually a bad thing. Car makers want all their own bespoke infotainment systems for more control/"branding." They will be worse, more buggy, more insecure, and steal your data. This allows for all kinds of paid subscriptions for updates and general functionality - something Toyota and others have been big into lately.

CarPlay is a standard, and doesn't need completely diffferent implementations for different makes and models. It's a much worse situation to have god knows how many apps instead. Carmakers are really bad at this kind of thing.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 13, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

You didn’t think this through

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It’s just GM making bad-faith excuses about why they want to force people to use their own infotainment. They want to monetize the in-car experience more and more, and they can’t do that if you use phone mirroring.

Which is a shame because GM was on the forefront of CarPlay/AA integration when it first came out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cat botherer posted:

That's actually a bad thing. Car makers want all their own bespoke infotainment systems for more control/"branding." They will be worse, more buggy, more insecure, and steal your data. This allows for all kinds of paid subscriptions for updates and general functionality - something Toyota and others have been big into lately.

CarPlay is a standard, and doesn't need completely diffferent implementations for different makes and models. It's a much worse situation to have god knows how many apps instead. Carmakers are really bad at this kind of thing.

Vegetable posted:

You didn’t think this through

You're both right. Sorry

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My sister has a car that has a proprietry satnav system built in. The maps are out of date. To update them they want £300.

£300 to plug in a usb and hit update.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cat botherer posted:

I wish there wasn't such a thing as an infotainment system at all. My car has a hole for a DIN sized radio and that's the way I like it. Yes it's a cassette player, what's your point?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BiggerBoat posted:

You're both right. Sorry
turns out the peak of infotainment systems was having an MP3 player plugged into a cassette deck with an adapter.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mumblyfish posted:

You can turn off personalized search results, but it does require logging in

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Facebook has a similar thing where if you want to invoke the EU right to be forgotten and remove your shadow profile (pinky swear of course, nobody can verify they yeeted your poo poo), you need to first create an account.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

cat botherer posted:

turns out the peak of infotainment systems was having an MP3 player plugged into a cassette deck with an adapter.

I think my 2015 CRV is the sweet spot. Bluetooth and a small screen that displays track tags. I usually leave my phone in my pocket while driving and it picks up whatever podcast or YouTube video I was listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd argue that moving every regularly used function like aircon controls, lighting, etc to any kind of touchscreen is 10 million times more distracting that AA or Carplay. You don't fiddle with AA/Carplay much while driving and it supports voice commands, you glance at a map and ask it to play Joe Rogan latest vomitcast. You do spend way more time looking away from what's Infront of you to make sure you hit the exact right control for your heater though.