Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whydirt posted:

Who needs gems when you’re a Maji?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Kinda depends. Like, normally having only 2k life would be bad, but if that's paired with 8k ES and a bunch of phys taken as elemental with insane regen, then that 2k life is probably fine (provided chaos is dealt with).

You can drop your profile name here (make said profile public on the PoE site) and we can look at your character.

I think it would be really had to not have enough wisps to buy a single item from an NPC between the ring of their corresponding wisps they're always surrounded by plus the trail of them actually leading you to that area.

The wild variance in whether or not you'll actually *see* said NPC is no joke though.

I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't just unlock the ascendancies for all characters. :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Honesty the Maji "track rares and uniques on the minimap" node is not only good for a lazy man's mapping ability; the marks work when you're in the woods and they track stuff way outside your normal radius of vision. Been finding a bunch of packs I wouldn't have otherwise while using it.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

https://pobb.in/o8RSAVtgPKUT This is the season starter build that I found and started using. Any glaring problems?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
SRS guardian has about cleared all the maps, but it's starting to hit a real brick wall for damage and survivability in wildwood juiced maps and depending on mods can get enemies where the healthbar won't budge.

Any recommendations for post-league start builds with multiple layers of defense that can melt even the largest healthbars? for those that played CoC energy blade does it fit the bill?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

SRS guardian has about cleared all the maps, but it's starting to hit a real brick wall for damage and survivability in wildwood juiced maps and depending on mods can get enemies where the healthbar won't budge.

Any recommendations for post-league start builds with multiple layers of defense that can melt even the largest healthbars? for those that played CoC energy blade does it fit the bill?

It's been a bit since I played a minion guardian (and it was an absolution build at that) but SRS guardian should have no issues being scaled very highly. Post your POB?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

A Real Horse posted:

https://pobb.in/o8RSAVtgPKUT This is the season starter build that I found and started using. Any glaring problems?

Skimming it I don't see any glaring problems. I do see why you might've been confused about the gear because "Early Game" is "beat the campaign", not "Act 2". For running through the campaign, focus on getting a 4L helmet and gloves (4L will start to drop in A3) to put your main damage dealing skills in, change your bow if you get something with more attack speed and boots for something with more movement speed, use jewelry (and maybe your quiver) for life and resists.

And for this league, try to make find and friends with the Warden of the Eaves for the Oath of the Maji Ascendancy. It is quite nuts for levelling.

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

A Real Horse posted:

That passive tree progression seems fine. Should get you through the campaign.

Both those skills convert physical damage from the weapon into chaos damage, so the physical damage you have on your weapon is important. Keep upgrading the base as your damage falls off as you progress through acts. The vendor recipe (can't direct link, it's in there) of magic/rare rustic sash + weapon + blacksmiths' whetstone will give you back a magic weapon of the same base type with a % increased physical damage mod. If you use a rare rustic sash it'll give you a higher % than a magic rustic sash. Contempt essences will give a weapon flat physical damage. I think it's in Sewers in Act 3 that you get a bench craft for % increased physical damage. I actually cannot remember how the crafting bench is even introduced with a new account.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

mynnna posted:

It's been a bit since I played a minion guardian (and it was an absolution build at that) but SRS guardian should have no issues being scaled very highly. Post your POB?

https://pobb.in/ykNgWmmQwkMA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

I actually cannot remember how the crafting bench is even introduced with a new account.

I think it’s with helena and the hideout in a2 but i don’t really know either

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah for the uninitiated, the league mechanic will get you 25% movement speed for having no gems in your boots, and 50% to all elemental resistance for having no gems in your helmet. If you go in the forest portal at the beginning of each map and follow the trail of yellow wisps whenever possible you should unlock it within the first 1 or 2 acts. Definitely the sweetest league mechanic boost to campaign/leveling that I've ever seen.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

I think it’s with helena and the hideout in a2 but i don’t really know either

There was actually a little quest to use the crafting bench for the first time after Helena's act 2 stuff, which is either new or I missed it the past 4 leagues

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Oh, yeah, you have a lot of room to improve on that. Most of your gear is pretty bad, you don't have a +1 wand (much less +2), the build gets a lot of damage by stacking up a lot of ghastly eye jewels. I don't really like either of the two big streamer starters, but since I can't remember what my issue was with Ghazzy's I'll link that to look at as a reference: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/summon-raging-spirit-guardian#pob-and-passive-skill-tree Use the medium budget as a reference for what to work towards next, with the high budget being the endgame.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 13, 2023

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

I do see why you might've been confused about the gear because "Early Game" is "beat the campaign", not "Act 2".

Yup, that was a big part of my confusion. Still working through Act 2. gently caress The Weaver. It wasn't hard, it was big and terrifying because I am the most arachnaphobic.

Crafted a bow with +physical damage and hahahaha I am shredding things even faster. Looking forward to getting to spend some serious time with the game over the next couple weeks, especially during my winter break.

Question that I assume I know the answer to, but a quick google just gives me facts about the gem : does the Damage on Full Life Support gem work when I've taken energy shield damage, but not health? I assume it does from the wording, but like I said, I can't find confirmation of that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You got it right on the gem!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Also, there might be dumb questions in PoE once you have 2000 hours played, but for a new player you should feel free to ask anything. There's a lot of counterintuitive things about PoE.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

There's a lot of counterintuitive things about PoE.

*"You" has entered the chat*

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Kinda depends. Like, normally having only 2k life would be bad, but if that's paired with 8k ES and a bunch of phys taken as elemental with insane regen, then that 2k life is probably fine (provided chaos is dealt with).

You can drop your profile name here (make said profile public on the PoE site) and we can look at your character.

here.

I think the only thing i picked up after finishing the campaign is the scepter.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibrarianCroaker posted:

here.

I think the only thing i picked up after finishing the campaign is the scepter.

Are you trying to go armour or ES?

You can drop 5-10c on boots, belt and ring and get some way better than what you have. Shield too probably.

poo poo, just spamming some life essences till you get a good res roll would be better

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So someone here a while ago (Vasadus?) said this about defenses: there's avoidance, mitigation and recovery. Try to get two of those. Right now you have zero.

Mitigation: You only have 1 elemental resistance capped (that 70% lightning res means you're taking 20% more lightning damage than you should be) and you are paper thin when it comes to physical and chaos, so not really much in the way of mitigation. The latter you already know about, but the former all you really have is Determination, which provides some flat Armour but really scales with the %more Armour mod, and the only other sources you have are the boots and gloves. However, with your current Armour rating, Steelskin actually provides more of a damage reduction by a considerable amount. You need to just about double your total armour before MS is better. I'd switch to SS for now and ditch the CwDT setup, instead bind it to LMB. If you put an instant cast spell on LMB it will automatically get cast when you move (provided it's not on cooldown). The problem with putting Guard skills in a CwDT setup is that in order to reliably trigger it when you need it you don't want CwDT at its maximum level, but that means the spells it is supporting have to be at a lower level, which decreases the effectiveness of your Guard skills. You have 39% spell suppression, which is nothing to sneeze at, but you're not in the part of the tree where you can pick up more easily, which means it all needs to come from gear. Good news is that your survivability will go up quite a bit when you do your 4th Lab and get Bastion of Elements (you were going to go for that one...right?). This also feeds nicely into what will eventually (bit early for you to invest in this quite yet) defensive layer: damage taken as. I'm just going to link the wiki article instead of explaining it here because this paragraph is long enough as it is.

Avoidance: None whatsoever, so let's call that the one you're not going to get.

Recovery: You also have none besides health flasks. At the very least run Vitality.

Now looking at the rest of your build:

You have Elemental Weakness and Flammability on your Arcanist Brand setup but no sources of +curses, which means one gets overwritten by the other almost immediately. If anything, that's where you should put Flame Surge (probably in place of EW).

Drop Herald of Ash, grab Malevolence. Burn poo poo faster.

Arcane Surge isn't doing anything there. If anything, it should be level 1 (to lower the amount of mana required to get the buff) and linked to Flame Dash so that it pops off whenever you use FD.

Flame Wall isn't doing anything either. Primary purposes is the +fire to projectiles passing through it, and you don't do anything with projectiles.

Look at Berek's Respite. That'll allow you to drop Ignite Proliferation for a higher damage support like Deadly Ailments, Burning Damage or Immolate (although that last one doesn't help with the first hit).

You took both Heart of Flame and Breath of Flames in that wheel. Generally speaking, DD builds focus on just the burning damage.

FYI, that second line of Defiled Forces doesn't apply to you because you are not casting your curses, you are casting Arcanist Brand which triggers those curses.

You have a closed loop at the beginning of your tree. Since spell damage doesn't really affect DD damage, you'd best take the INT nodes to the left side then spec out of the spell damage and right side INT nodes to get 7 points back.

Kinda goes without saying, but basically all of your gear needs to be replaced. Only 3 pieces have +life, and only one of those is >50. Resists aren't capped, as already stated. Getting a couple items with +DEX and +STR would let you spec out of some of the nodes that aren't super helpful and into ones that would be more beneficial like the Acrimony and Quick Recovery wheels.

OK, this post has gone on long enough, time to turn off the fire hose.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I've just accepted that I'll be stuck with Oath of the Maji forever. I can't see the blue wisps

I have attempted to use extremely lovely screen recording software to provide 2 images of blue wisps.

https://imgur.com/lfk95MA
https://imgur.com/ONb0OWV

The first one, above, is an image of a light stream of blue wisps you sometimes spawn in the middle of inside the forest. A good way to notice this has happened is to look in the bottom right, if you already have 3-7 blue wisps, you're in a stream.

The second one is a recording of another thing the wisps do when you're standing close to them, where they slowly get sucked into your character model. This is purely a visual effect, your wisp count only increases when you walk towards them.

IMO the thing that makes the blue wisps hardest to notice is that in their animation they fully disappear from view roughly 1/2 of the time, and because they're the same color as the light radius border, it makes it really easy to lose track of them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I’m also playing SRS guardian, but looking to reroll. My damage is fine ~ 7.2m in pob with the config set for the AG and the Perfect hulking monstrosity. My problem with the build is these fancy new specters and the AG dying in any slightly juiced content. I have a bone ring on for more minion life and resistance, have them linked to meat shield and elemental army, have a charm that reduced physical damage dealt to minions and if I do the league mechanic before expedition or essence, it’s a 50/50 chance on whether I will have to logout and abandon the map to stop the spectres and AG from dying. My second spectre is the perfect warlord to get endurance charges and vitality on my minions to keep them alive, which helped a bit but it is still not enough.

I’m stuck on two watchstones because I don’t want to take them into any guardian fights, and already lost over 2 div replacing the AG and spectres that died in Maven 10 ways. I could just let them die and go back to no AG and arena master + pale seraphim, but where is the fun in not getting to play with the new tools we have for this league.

Think I will go scourge arrow of madness totems like everyone else so I can farm currency for whatever other cool builds emerge. Jungroan has a double coc sin that looks very strong and only costs about 10 div to get to his current gear but I have no clue what to level as before switching.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Caustic arrow

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am totally lost on Affliction's quest line. I am doing the person that lets you slot charms. So far, I have finished one quest to kill 500 unnamed mobs or some poo poo. The only other quest I have is one to find the Black Morrigan. I was blasting red maps all last night and running the wildwood, but still have not found this NPC. I killed King in the Mists about 8 times (I think this is the fake king or some poo poo?)

Is there some other quest I am missing? I am pretty sure i have seen the 3 NPCs that give the ascendancies and not offered any other quests.

Am I just doomed to eternally be lost in the woods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jNbZIsBQU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

no the mechanic is just poo poo and you might go 50 wildwoods without finding the morrigan

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

nerox posted:

I am totally lost on Affliction's quest line. I am doing the person that lets you slot charms. So far, I have finished one quest to kill 500 unnamed mobs or some poo poo. The only other quest I have is one to find the Black Morrigan. I was blasting red maps all last night and running the wildwood, but still have not found this NPC. I killed King in the Mists about 8 times (I think this is the fake king or some poo poo?)

Is there some other quest I am missing? I am pretty sure i have seen the 3 NPCs that give the ascendancies and not offered any other quests.

Am I just doomed to eternally be lost in the woods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jNbZIsBQU

I'm still in whites but found him twice :shrug:

He's in a big fenced area. And a total chump if I do say so myself.

Edit: it's very funny to be asked to trade while playing on a steam deck. I think I'm gonna change my character name to something like SorryCantTalkSteamDeck

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

12 rats tied together posted:

IMO the thing that makes the blue wisps hardest to notice is that in their animation they fully disappear from view roughly 1/2 of the time, and because they're the same color as the light radius border, it makes it really easy to lose track of them.

Thank you, I appreciate the effort. The quoted part, especially the thing about the light radius border, is why I think I struggle with the blue ones in particular

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

nerox posted:

No you only get quests from the other NPCs if you swap to their ascendancy. The good news is that if you later swap back you'll be right where you were in the current ascendancy, but you'll lose any partial quest progress so don't swap if you've collected 400/500 bear asses.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Thanks guys, I will just keep running through the woods with reckless abandon.

TyrantWD posted:

I’m also playing SRS guardian, but looking to reroll. My damage is fine ~ 7.2m in pob with the config set for the AG and the Perfect hulking monstrosity. My problem with the build is these fancy new specters and the AG dying in any slightly juiced content. I have a bone ring on for more minion life and resistance, have them linked to meat shield and elemental army, have a charm that reduced physical damage dealt to minions and if I do the league mechanic before expedition or essence, it’s a 50/50 chance on whether I will have to logout and abandon the map to stop the spectres and AG from dying. My second spectre is the perfect warlord to get endurance charges and vitality on my minions to keep them alive, which helped a bit but it is still not enough.

I’m stuck on two watchstones because I don’t want to take them into any guardian fights, and already lost over 2 div replacing the AG and spectres that died in Maven 10 ways. I could just let them die and go back to no AG and arena master + pale seraphim, but where is the fun in not getting to play with the new tools we have for this league.

Think I will go scourge arrow of madness totems like everyone else so I can farm currency for whatever other cool builds emerge. Jungroan has a double coc sin that looks very strong and only costs about 10 div to get to his current gear but I have no clue what to level as before switching.

I stopped running AG after losing several. Now the cheap AG setup is getting more expensive than 1c pieces cause the demand of replacing dead AGs is pushing up the price. Not to mention the time it takes to buy all the parts because people don't respond to trades.

Edit: Maybe I should throw a shout gem in where AG was and take horking barb spec on the Wildwood Primalist tree.

nerox fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 13, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fact that AGs and specters die is a good balance on their absurd power

Imho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My goal this league now is to find a nice That Which Was Taken

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wait a sec, I've been assuming I have limited time in the woods but is it actually that I can only uncover so much of the dark areas? So I can stop and squint at the wisps?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gently caress

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think the occasional light balls give you more dark removal power too.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Tarnop posted:

gently caress

This is a chill, relaxing league mechanic

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

You can also go back to where youve been once the portal pops up. Sometimes even get more woods juice from the corners where the darkness starts.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i need to borrow 5 divs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

External Organs posted:

You can also go back to where youve been once the portal pops up. Sometimes even get more woods juice from the corners where the darkness starts.

Yeah I'd worked this out, thankfully. Just hadn't realised that it was distance rather than time limited, probably because I'd been watching streamers do it and you know what they're like. I'm still enjoying myself a great deal though, fully dispelled my trading anxiety and progressing further than I have before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tarnop posted:

Yeah I'd worked this out, thankfully. Just hadn't realised that it was distance rather than time limited, probably because I'd been watching streamers do it and you know what they're like. I'm still enjoying myself a great deal though, fully dispelled my trading anxiety and progressing further than I have before.

:unsmith: