Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Well drat, boss is firing me by end of month for having the gall to ask for a raise that I haven't had for two years and to tell him that building a custom PC for every managed endpoint we replace rather than buying standard business machines is loving stupid and quadruples labor time per device. Joke's on him though, the lead tech started looking for work today after hearing the owners new plans, and the junior see how I'm being g treated and is plotting his leave.

Owner is trying to say I've created a hostile work environment. Yet, I spoke to every other employee but the COO tonight and all corroborated he's making poo poo up and only spoke to the COO, who hates my guts. Curious.

My skillset isn't irreplaceable, but my dedication and ethic might just be. He's gonna have a bad time when he'stechnicians. 20+ loud clients and no technicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
If anyone is in Bradenton, FL and needs a tech/sys admin. I'm free.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hughmoris posted:

I don't need to become a wizard at it but I need to become comfortable enough to speak on it at a novice -to-intermediate level.

1. When you apply a policy, that makes changes to the registry of the system affected. When you remove the policy by unlinking it, editing it, or moving the endpoint to a new OU, the changes made by the old policy still apply. There is no undo. If you want to change a policy, you have to apply a new policy that enforces the setting you now want. This is half of the secret of AD.

2. The other half is understanding the order in which policies are applied and knowing that you can change the order that policies are applied for each OU. Having a good answer to this got me past one of four interviewers for my current position.

Knowing how to work around these two things moved me from mediocre money repairing laptops and printers to total comp of well into six figures managing 2400 lab and manufacturing systems. This is how you manage systems at scale, and managing systems at scale is how you get paid. There are more ways to do it, just prove you can work at scale and the money will find you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

I told my hashicorp account reps that we are "losing faith in their product" today

What are you going to replace it with... Bicep? :barf:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mllaneza posted:

1. When you apply a policy, that makes changes to the registry of the system affected. When you remove the policy by unlinking it, editing it, or moving the endpoint to a new OU, the changes made by the old policy still apply. There is no undo. If you want to change a policy, you have to apply a new policy that enforces the setting you now want. This is half of the secret of AD.

2. The other half is understanding the order in which policies are applied and knowing that you can change the order that policies are applied for each OU. Having a good answer to this got me past one of four interviewers for my current position.

Knowing how to work around these two things moved me from mediocre money repairing laptops and printers to total comp of well into six figures managing 2400 lab and manufacturing systems. This is how you manage systems at scale, and managing systems at scale is how you get paid. There are more ways to do it, just prove you can work at scale and the money will find you.

teach me sempai

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

cr0y posted:

I do virtualization for IT/OT

And engineer said I need to re-address a server that has existed for 4 years because he needs that IP for a new PLC.

I gave him a list of available IPs in the same subnet.

He said he needs that specific address for his new device.

I said no.

I now have a meeting with me, global telecom, management and engineering on my calendar to discuss what the server on that address does (it's a domain controller FWIW).

What. The. Actual. gently caress.

I'm an OT network engineer.

If some plc engineer (my old job title) tried this poo poo on me, I would tell him that it's my way or the highway. End of.

Also you are probably compromised and just don't know it (yet). Have fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommended resources to learn Active Directory, starting from zero? My background is data but I'm comfortable with scripting and general IT troubleshooting.

I don't need to become a wizard at it but I need to become comfortable enough to speak on it at a novice -to-intermediate level.

I found a "Learn Active Directory in a Month of Lunches" but it was last published in 2014.

What are you needing to do with it or speak to? There's definitely people here who know AD well. And like others said, it hasn't fundamentally changed in a long time so your resources should not be out of date.

mllaneza posted:

When someone is asking about AD, I don't immediately jump to GPOs. Plenty of people touch AD and not GPOs.

Not trying to start an in-depth discussion as it's late for me, but #1 is not inherently true. The concept is called registry tattooing. For Group Policy Preferences, this is true, but it depends on if you are setting registry using GPP, if you set it to remove if it no longer applies, if you're not using some sort of roaming profile or profile virtualization, etc.

On #2, that's called GPO presidence and it's complicated enough that you should look it up any time it matters. Also keep in mind things like GP loopback that can cause it to be more complicated. And that loopback applies to all applicable policies once it is applied, not just the GPO you are working with.

tokin opposition posted:

teach me sempai

While there's definitely overlap in learning GPOs that can apply to something like Intune, you don't want to learn GPOs. No one who doesn't already know it should learn GPOs. It's a dead end, thankfully, and one that should be put out of its misery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cr0y posted:

He said he needs that specific address for his new device.

literally loving why

only possible reason I can imagine is impersonating the old device

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

On #2, that's called GPO presidence and it's complicated enough that you should look it up any time it matters. Also keep in mind things like GP loopback that can cause it to be more complicated. And that loopback applies to all applicable policies once it is applied, not just the GPO you are working with.

While there's definitely overlap in learning GPOs that can apply to something like Intune, you don't want to learn GPOs. No one who doesn't already know it should learn GPOs. It's a dead end, thankfully, and one that should be put out of its misery.

Precedence, for anyone searching for learnings on this issue anyone looking for more info.

My group is trying to get out ahead of moving to Intune on the assumption that it's a case of when, not if. I'm our GPO person, so this is highly relevant for me. Team consensus is we're lucky if the PoC has started by this time next year.

tokin opposition posted:

teach me sempai

If I learn a third lesson, I'll be sure to post that some time in 2025.

e. Dark secret time. I was tipped that the precedence lesson would be asked in the interview, so I prepped for it.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 13, 2023

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I'm home, cooked dinner for my wife and I've had some time to think on how badly things are falling apart at my workplace now that I'm ready to jump ship.

So I lucked out and last friday I got hit up by a guy I don't remember if I really talked about in the thread before, part of the initial wave of trainees for my shift. He was fine, if just a bit careless- stuff like coming back from breaks late, and that made him kind of an easy target for the day shift guy I've definitely bitched about before, specifically the dude who yelled at me because I dared to say "Thank you" in an e-mail chain that had looped the PM.
Anyway, he got a job working for a place that just did a rapid expansion for an inhouse support department. Major ISP here in the south. Mostly going to be doing AD, and it sounds like it's a good gig and it pays literally like 60% more than my current gig.

He put me in contact with his recruiter who was impressed, I did a round of phone interviews and got hired. I start sunday. I'm gonna be pulling a couple days with long hours, because sadly I already know my current job is going to effectively retaliate against me, and reduce my wage down to minimum when I tell them I'm going to leave.

Meanwhile, one of the other members of the H100 server diag team is quitting to go back to his job in physical therapy while he looks for work elsewhere, and another team member just picked up a security analyst job. Then they fired the one other person between shifts I kinda liked talking to--people seem generally a mix between appalled at that and the whole breaking servers stuff I talked about last time.
This tech caught covid because management was constantly hovering around us while sick, he needed time off and sent a doctor's note, company flexed at will and fired him anyway. Morale isn't high at the moment.

I'm gonna stay in contact with some of these people because they're genuinely good people to work with, but I'm getting out at a good time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Firing people because they get sick is such small time behaviour

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Firing people because they get sick is such small time behaviour

Making people sick and then firing them for being sick is a classic though

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Susat posted:

He put me in contact with his recruiter who was impressed, I did a round of phone interviews and got hired. I start sunday. I'm gonna be pulling a couple days with long hours, because sadly I already know my current job is going to effectively retaliate against me, and reduce my wage down to minimum when I tell them I'm going to leave.

Is this legal, even in the US?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Susat posted:

Can’t you just quit with 0 notice if you’re at will? Because gently caress retalliation for giving notice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

Susat posted:

So don't give notice.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wibla posted:

So don't give notice.

Agreed. Why worry about burning a bridge that’s already in mid structural collapse?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Or lawyer up and make a paper trail, and then not have to work for a bit while you live off the lawsuit proceeds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it legit feels great to quit without notice

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Generally, companies can't reduce your pay for hours you have already worked.

I believe they can say that you're being paid minimum wage from the moment you put in your notice, but that's going to be controlled on the state/local level.

You can also decide that working for minimum wage isn't worth your time, and reduce your two week notice to two minutes.

At-will employment cuts both ways.

Discussing your pay is specifically protected by the FLSA, and any retaliation for discussing pay makes the labor board drool.

If your bosses DO reduce your pay to minimum wage for putting in your notice of resignation, you should share that information with all of your coworkers.

Two week notice is a courtesy. If your employer disrespects you, you do not have to continue the original notice period.

(not legal advice. i am not a lawyer. your milage may vary. consult with a local labor attorney. gently caress the bosses. but not in a sexy way. unless everyone involved is into that.)

Edit to add: Making major changes to hours or pay can be constructive dismissal in some locations, and the idea is they're not firing you, they're making the job untenable until you quit. Many (most? all?) states treat constructive dismissal as firing without cause, and will allow unemployment insurance to be processed against the employer. You've already got a job, but for other folks, file for unemployment if they cut hours or pay. UI claims hurt a business by raising the cost of unemployment issuance against the company.

Also look up local laws around how long the company has to deliver your final paycheck. I've heard CA has some fun around tripling damages if it's late.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 13, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Precedence, for anyone searching for learnings on this issue anyone looking for more info.

lol, thank you, was trying to say what it was so anyone interested could Google and still hosed it up. That's what I get for late posting.

Susat posted:

I did a round of phone interviews and got hired. I start sunday. I'm gonna be pulling a couple days with long hours, because sadly I already know my current job is going to effectively retaliate against me, and reduce my wage down to minimum when I tell them I'm going to leave.

First off, congratulations! That's really awesome news and I'm thrilled you found a new place so quickly.

If old job fucks around, just quit on the spot. 2 weeks is a courtesy to them. It's silly to bend over backwards during that time to help out your soon to be ex-employer, and working long hours for reduced pay is so far past that line. No one checks references anymore. Don't let them take advantage of you.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah walk in, start your shift, the instant you start getting bullshit, laugh and tell them you quit and walk off and go home to be with your family.

In front of the rest of the team if possible.

Grats, glad to hear things worked out quick for you!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We all only get so much time in the world. Don't waste it on abusive people when you've got an out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommended resources to learn Active Directory, starting from zero? My background is data but I'm comfortable with scripting and general IT troubleshooting.

I found a "Learn Active Directory in a Month of Lunches" but it was last published in 2014.

AD in a month of lunches is a good start.

The O'Reilly cat book is one of the better AD books out there. https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/active-directory-5th/9781449361211/

Bookmark this blog post as it contains a ton of great info

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ask-the-directory-services-team/post-graduate-ad-studies/ba-p/398057

AD is interesting. It's pretty easy to manage the basics day to day, but under the hood there's a lot of poo poo going on and in bigger environments some interesting problems can pop up. Most places don't really think about AD. It hasn't changed much in over a decade, and probably won't change much. I've been doing primarily AD stuff for over 15 years now and I still learn something new once in a while.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

lol, thank you, was trying to say what it was so anyone interested could Google and still hosed it up. That's what I get for late posting.

First off, congratulations! That's really awesome news and I'm thrilled you found a new place so quickly.

If old job fucks around, just quit on the spot. 2 weeks is a courtesy to them. It's silly to bend over backwards during that time to help out your soon to be ex-employer, and working long hours for reduced pay is so far past that line. No one checks references anymore. Don't let them take advantage of you.

I agree with all of this, and I would add that even if someone checks references, you probably don't want them checking with the sort of absolute jackasses who would cut your pay during your notice period. Yes, giving a misleading or negative reference is potentially actionable, but why expose yourself to all the hassle?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Susat posted:

A notice period, barring an enforceable contract, is a courtesy. You probably have the option to just ghost them. Spending a last day setting up people you care about to be okay when you vanish is an option, but your management people can get hosed with a cactus.

e.
efb, and it's beautiful to see

I've quit without notice before, it felt great.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

We're five years into our ServiceNow journey. We put a LOT of people on it. There's a team of 5 just managing Configuration items and the 9000 types of CIs we have.

Want some servers to run an app? Define a Service, assign a business and a technical owner. The VMs your app runs on also have contacts, so do the ESXi hosts, and the NAS they live on. When they schedule maintenance on the NAS, everyone gets an email automatically. The VMs are provisioned by Jenkins jobs when you fill out the form.

We just started putting loaner laptops in smart lockers. Fill out the form, get emailed a QR code, scan it at the locker, pick up your loaner. Two weeks later you start getting automated nastygram about returning it. Two more weeks and you manager gets an automated warning that their cost center is gonna be charged if it doesn't come back. All automated and you can pick up a loaner 24/7.

This has taken a vast amount of dev work, but the level of automation SNOW enables is amazing.

Meanwhile in our SNOW journey, I can close a task and it generates 2 more tasks that say the same thing as the first one. If I close them, there is a good chance that one of them will open another. No one has found the workflow that causes this yet. Or they haven't looked.
I mean, this is on us, as they wanted SNOW to look familiar to our last ticketing system that everyone hated.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Susat posted:

I'm home, cooked dinner for my wife and I've had some time to think on how badly things are falling apart at my workplace now that I'm ready to jump ship.

So I lucked out and last friday I got hit up by a guy I don't remember if I really talked about in the thread before, part of the initial wave of trainees for my shift. He was fine, if just a bit careless- stuff like coming back from breaks late, and that made him kind of an easy target for the day shift guy I've definitely bitched about before, specifically the dude who yelled at me because I dared to say "Thank you" in an e-mail chain that had looped the PM.
Anyway, he got a job working for a place that just did a rapid expansion for an inhouse support department. Major ISP here in the south. Mostly going to be doing AD, and it sounds like it's a good gig and it pays literally like 60% more than my current gig.

Meanwhile, one of the other members of the H100 server diag team is quitting to go back to his job in physical therapy while he looks for work elsewhere, and another team member just picked up a security analyst job. Then they fired the one other person between shifts I kinda liked talking to--people seem generally a mix between appalled at that and the whole breaking servers stuff I talked about last time.
This tech caught covid because management was constantly hovering around us while sick, he needed time off and sent a doctor's note, company flexed at will and fired him anyway. Morale isn't high at the moment.

I'm gonna stay in contact with some of these people because they're genuinely good people to work with, but I'm getting out at a good time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I second the cat book, I read it cover to cover and it made me a moderately skilled AD Administrator.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna counterpoint the AD discussion: why even bother capital-l Learning AD unless your current job wants it (and is willing to promote you/pay you commensurate with this new skill set) or if you want to become a purist on-prem sysadmin in a world where it's tough to find purist on-prem sysadmin roles?

I'm not saying Azure AD is truly replacing on-prem AD, but having an on-prem domain and managing it is not tough for smaller shops, and if an employer wants you to know FSMO roles and GPO precedence during an interview, it may not involve growth or learning new enough skills to stay relevant for long.

I say this as an on-prem guy who pivoted to Azure and wishes he could have stayed on-prem forever, but FWIW the money is better in cloud if you can carve out the right niche. So much of Big AD Knowledge is stuff you either have to learn for an MS cert or because you're doing Serious AD Administration where that's all you ever do, which means you're probably at some big gigantic megacorp where AD is basically the Cobol or Fortran: so baked in to the core of functionality that it can never be replaced, and lucrative as long as your competition retires/dies, but not something that allows for switching jobs of things go south or if you want out/new skills.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does sound like this is a requirement for a role, but otherwise I agree - be the Modern Workspace person, it's only ever going to be a growth area and you won't be walking into environments with 20 years of legacy crud.

I do sometimes miss the days of trying out new things in AD because they were added to Windows Server, rather than being in different license tiers, but :capitalism: and it's never changing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for all the Active Directory insights and advice.

Purposefully light on details here but my position was dissolved. My employer said I can keep my nice paycheck but I'll have to transition to a different team that was short on manpower. Part of my duties on $newTeam is getting comfortable with Active Directory.

The pay and benefits are too nice to just toss away so it looks like I'll be learning some AD for now. My impression from you lot is learn enough to do the job but extra energy would be better spent on things like Azure AD, Entra ID, Intune etc...

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 13, 2023

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
On the note of identity stuff, how are people feeling about Okta these days? We upgraded its identity engine somewhat recently and it's given us a bevy of weird edge case issues as a result. Device cookies not being properly saved, rules that didn't apply before to certain apps now applying, that kind of thing. I don't hate it overall, and maybe it's just our implementation but it's caused a few headaches.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

AD is legit fun, really powerful, and can fill oodles of niches that are better served with dedicated services. Try and pick up some basic PowerShell scripting skills if you don't have them yet, it pairs well with the platform. PowerShell is also a skill that will outlive AD by a wide margin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're a MS shop already I can't see any reason to use Okta over Entra ID

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

klosterdev posted:

We all only get so much time in the world. Don't waste it on abusive people when you've got an out*.

*unless you are wasting said time making the abusive people impotently rage. *That's* fun, and very not a waste.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I agree with all of this, and I would add that even if someone checks references, you probably don't want them checking with the sort of absolute jackasses who would cut your pay during your notice period. Yes, giving a misleading or negative reference is potentially actionable, but why expose yourself to all the hassle?

By law, companies are not allowed to give qualitative commentary when checking references, just yes, they worked here, and yes it was this date to that. I'm sure they can say it in such a way as to cast shade, but they can't outright poo poo-talk an ex-employee.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're a MS shop already I can't see any reason to use Okta over Entra ID

Our new corporate overlords won’t let us access their azure so we have to do everything 3rd party concerning sso and mfa. We can’t even use azure mfa because they refuse to allow us access.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The most efficient economic system ever created

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Darchangel posted:

By law, companies are not allowed to give qualitative commentary when checking references, just yes, they worked here, and yes it was this date to that. I'm sure they can say it in such a way as to cast shade, but they can't outright poo poo-talk an ex-employee.

They and people can do anything they want. It would be on the potential employee to pursue that case, and it would have to be proved.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Darchangel posted:

What law are you referring to? Most large companies have non-disparagement policies to prevent useless vendettas from turning into litigation against the company. In fact, more states than not have immunity clauses protecting employers from legal retaliation over a bad reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Yeah I actually changed my mind, I'm gonna just peaceski on Monday after they start, I think. It might suck a little financially for a bit just because I don't know when the pay period is gonna be, but going fulltime at this new job instead of half days when I'm essentially leading a ghost town of a shift here isn't going to matter.