Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched his videos on dark seed 1 and 2 and also harvester, they are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The tweet before was Aug 12
Yeah that was a retweet though, there's other stuff below that's from the end of November (eg more Kissinger-related posts).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah that was a retweet though, there's other stuff below that's from the end of November (eg more Kissinger-related posts).

Ah, yes, I am Good at Twitter

upshot is yeah jesus christ

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I watched his videos on dark seed 1 and 2 and also harvester, they are pretty good

I revisit the retsupuraes for those every so often, loving timeless classics

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Majuular's Xenogears review inspired me to grab a copy from Ebay and a PS1 to play it on. If only I had the time to settle down and actually play it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Endorph posted:

she also basically bragged about it

What, and I cannot stress this enough, the gently caress.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm pretty sure the nightmare kludged-together "horse" from the Black Parade mod that came out for Thief a few weeks back is going to win that award from now until the heat death of the universe.

https://twitter.com/vfig/status/1731191565396087215

God I love videogames.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQeaVyO7aYk

Cosmonaut Variety Hour reviews all the Batman movies.

Batman Returns is a movie I haven't seen since I was a kid and I'm really curious how it holds up. This guy does not like it much and I get that. I've seen these criticisms for years. It's very much Burton going full Tim Burton and calling it a Batman story. But if you like Tim Burton - and I generally do - that is fine. It's surely more imaginative and creative than the Nolan films, which are just as much Christopher Nolan wanting to make a movie and just calling it Batman.

Also this is only live-action Batman? I will always maintain the best Batman movies are animated, namely Return of the Joker and Under the Red Hood.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Gosh, I'm always struck by how much natural comic talent this guy has. I have no idea how much of what he does is riffing on the spot and how much is carefully planned out -- I'm guessing there's more of the latter than it looks like -- but he's amazing at making it all seem really organic with his timing and delivery. What at first seems like an unstructured rant is filled with so many quick interconnected setups and callbacks.

What killed me the most for some reason was "full Phantom".

I love him playing the first couple lines of “Crazy” to contrast classic vs modern country music. I have such a soft spot for Patsy Cline.

gently caress, this whole thing loving sucks, and maybe this is a gauche thing to bring up, but ages ago when she was still Curio she made a vid about being diagnosed with BPD and Alice’s tweets really embody some feelings I’ve gone through with similarly diagnosed people who I went NC with.

The weird dissociative apology also makes sense to me but yes, it does fall short. I hope she can get the help she needs to take real ownership (and remorse/growth/etc) of her abusive behavior.

:smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

Ghastly.

I've never heard of this person before and I'm glad I'll probably never have to again now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crocobile posted:

gently caress, this whole thing loving sucks, and maybe this is a gauche thing to bring up, but ages ago when she was still Curio she made a vid about being diagnosed with BPD and Alice’s tweets really embody some feelings I’ve gone through with similarly diagnosed people who I went NC with.

The weird dissociative apology also makes sense to me but yes, it does fall short. I hope she can get the help she needs to take real ownership (and remorse/growth/etc) of her abusive behavior.

:smith:

I have provable and lasting physical damage from someone in my life who was later diagnosed with BPD and every time I've confronted her about it - usually when she asks why I don't want to be around her anymore - she just pulls the "well that's the first I've heard of this" card and other such things. With most other people who knew her during that time the response is just blanket "that didn't happen." sort of poo poo. It's depressing as hell.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

What in God's name is wrong with her

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crocobile posted:

I love him playing the first couple lines of “Crazy” to contrast classic vs modern country music. I have such a soft spot for Patsy Cline.

Willie Nelson wrote 'Crazy', 'Night Life' and 'Funny How Time Slips Away' over the course of one week in 1958 during his long commutes to work for someone else's band because he hadn't started his solo career at that point and was struggling to support his family, that's just how insanely talented and timeless and iconic he is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

yt has such a lovely system. the person/company making the copyright claim hardly has to do anything while the person they're claiming against has to do all the work to defend themselves. it incentivizes lovely behavior on the copyright holder. and on top of everything else, even if the defendant wins, they still lose out on all the revenue that would have accumulated as things were being sorted out.
That's a feature, not a bug.

It's how the DMCA is written, specifically regarding the safe harbor laws and how service providers are required to promptly block access to the allegedly infringing material when they receive the notice from the copyright holder or their agent.
This goes hand-in-hand with there also being a provision to keep the service providers safe from liability when someone tries to challenge the copyright infringement claim.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ghastly.

I've never heard of this person before and I'm glad I'll probably never have to again now.

I only know about Sophie thanks to Thoughtslime doing some collabs with her.
But given that Thoughtslime retweeted the AliceAvizendum story, I assume he is not gonna be taking Sophie's side.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What a horribly grim situation. So many of the usual grifting debatebro bastards over on Twitter appear to be using it as a way to score cheap points, only making the situation worse.

Other than that, I don't have a whole lot to say except gently caress this person. The non-apology that seems more designed as a way to lay excuses for her behaviour done is one thing, but making that sort of horrible vague joke about it all? That's just so gross, monstrous poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm getting old, because everytime I turn my back a new youtuber has sprung up, cultivated a fanbase, and then burned up their reputation by being an abuser, embezzler, or plagiarist. I half believe Hbomberguy conjured Somerton into existence, because I never would have heard of that guy due to his flat and terrible presentation.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

putting out a cigarette on someone *is* a pretty common consensual BDSM thing. key word there being “consensual”, of course, which judging by the post was not the case

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm getting old, because everytime I turn my back a new youtuber has sprung up, cultivated a fanbase, and then burned up their reputation by being an abuser, embezzler, or plagiarist. I half believe Hbomberguy conjured Somerton into existence, because I never would have heard of that guy due to his flat and terrible presentation.

Yeah, extremely this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1734879953626468660?t=jjXwg2jZ5rKt6hyiCU8JAg&s=19

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fanfiction goes to some really weird places, and while I don't want to read it I'm glad it exists.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

putting out a cigarette on someone *is* a pretty common consensual BDSM thing. key word there being “consensual”, of course, which judging by the post was not the case

A whole lot of the time when you're hearing about consent violations it's someone doing a thing after consent has been withdrawn.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmao

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Grassy Knowles posted:

A whole lot of the time when you're hearing about consent violations it's someone doing a thing after consent has been withdrawn.

Or where consent was coerced.

I sent a recommendation for Sophie into Kat/Harris' for the good queer creators playlist.. so ummm ooops? loving yikes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sure, it's a thing that happens in bdsm, but permanent branding is pretty far up the curve - so it's not all that common.

Queer Salutations posted:

Or where consent was coerced.

I sent a recommendation for Sophie into Kat/Harris' for the good queer creators playlist.. so ummm ooops? loving yikes.
I understand feeling bad about it, but how could you possibly have known beforehand? Abusers thrive on secrecy, and the people who stepped forward need to be commended and helped to a better place.
Presumably the recommendations, if they were accepted, have been removed - so I don't think any harm has been done.

"Write what you know" is a pretty common piece of advice, and they obviously just followed that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you need to cheer yourself up, Jamie French found the baddest dude on TikTok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0DNYFUvMU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

bbcode really doesn't like google cache urls, sheesh
code:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TqbxSdP4SY4J:https://twitter.com/sophie_frm_mars%3Flang%3Dar-x-fm&hl=en&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-e
The tweet before was Aug 12, the tweet after was Nov 30.

Really telling on herself is that the immediate followup is bragging about having an "astonishing capacity for sadism" and... yeah, I'll give her that one. I am definitely astonished by this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

:psyduck: I...don't actually think this is true? Like, I'm sure there are people who do this because a lot of people do play very hard, but you're describing something that would get you banned from even most kink scenes, regardless of consent. Actual burns-on-skin scarification is something that only the most extreme RACK players would go for and is absolutely not something I would consider "common" in the BDSM landscape.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Is that the thing Xiran Jay Zhao was tweeting about? I saw them alluding to someone review bombing other YA authors, looked away, and then like a couple days later they were quote tweeting a statement from a book publisher about how someone had been dropped.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

:psyduck: I...don't actually think this is true? Like, I'm sure there are people who do this because a lot of people do play very hard, but you're describing something that would get you banned from even most kink scenes, regardless of consent. Actual burns-on-skin scarification is something that only the most extreme RACK players would go for and is absolutely not something I would consider "common" in the BDSM landscape.

idk maybe it's a more common kink in trans-specific circles than in general or im stretching my secondhand anecdotal experience too far? if i had a nickel for every trans person who i saw bragging about their cigarette burn scars i would have two nickels

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is that the thing Xiran Jay Zhao was tweeting about? I saw them alluding to someone review bombing other YA authors, looked away, and then like a couple days later they were quote tweeting a statement from a book publisher about how someone had been dropped.

Yeah it's the one same thing. A 2024 debut author (cait c) had been using pseudonyms to leave 1 star reviews on the goodreads pages of her fellow 2024 debuts, and most of those affected were poc. People noticed a pattern, there was some slack discourse, but then a 13 page dossier got thrown into the wild without naming the perpetrator and everyone immediately figured out cait was the one. Cait tried to say that it was her very abrasive friend from her kylo ren & rey shipping fandom days, but the discord screenshot showed impossible dates and then the people from the fandom came out to say "no we do not know this friend existed, cait did this herself. " it ultimately led to del rey and her agent dropping her and the book

She has made an apology that blamed meds for racism

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

idk maybe it's a more common kink in trans-specific circles than in general or im stretching my secondhand anecdotal experience too far? if i had a nickel for every trans person who i saw bragging about their cigarette burn scars i would have two nickels
Oh...well, I guess that might be true. It honestly didn't occur to me that entirely different degrees of painplay might be differently appealing to different demographics.

A three minute Google search on the subject just leads me to a bunch of people saying "DON'T DO THIS IT IS VERY DANGER," so I still feel like it's gotta be something very niche, but who knows?

...Hey someone should do a video essay about this!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lolling again at this Totally Real exchange

[

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i want to loving kill myself!! jasjfskdgfhdaskfhak

heh heh... you know what? perhaps just one more bad review >:)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...well, I guess that might be true. It honestly didn't occur to me that entirely different degrees of painplay might be differently appealing to different demographics.

A three minute Google search on the subject just leads me to a bunch of people saying "DON'T DO THIS IT IS VERY DANGER," so I still feel like it's gotta be something very niche, but who knows?

...Hey someone should do a video essay about this!

Mostly a generational difference I think. For a long time it was cinematic shorthand to show a baddy was bad by doing it, and I know a few people who imitated it from that. Plus there are very few smokers nowadays so any kinks involving cigarettes are naturally getting rarer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dongicus posted:

i want to loving kill myself!! jasjfskdgfhdaskfhak

heh heh... you know what? perhaps just one more bad review >:)

"I'm sorry. Well I'm not sorry. And anyway the thing I'm not sorry for wasn't that bad"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bug Squash posted:

Mostly a generational difference I think. For a long time it was cinematic shorthand to show a baddy was bad by doing it, and I know a few people who imitated it from that. Plus there are very few smokers nowadays so any kinks involving cigarettes are naturally getting rarer.

Yeah this is what really makes me question the notion that this kink is in any way a common practice. Does that mean people are buying cigarettes and lighting them just to put them out on someone? Why not just use a candle???

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ariong posted:

Yeah this is what really makes me question the notion that this kink is in any way a common practice. Does that mean people are buying cigarettes and lighting them just to put them out on someone? Why not just use a candle???
I assume it’s because you don’t typically drip candles on stuff. Snuffing out a cigarette on someone would have a dehumanizing effect that I’m sure gets someone’s kink going.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Smoking can be enjoyable and it can also be a mild kink in its own right.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think they mean low-temp drip candles specifically for heat play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I hope you guys aren’t tired of hearing about plagiarism yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqqeZBfSeg