Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, but does Transistor have a dedicated button for you to call out your bro?

I swear the first game had 20 or something unique barks for Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

Yeah, that's another really good thing. Sadly it's missing in this one (at least so far), having a general hello-o-o? button is fine, but it loses a little something. Fortunately they went back to Mario being kidnapped again in the third one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

moosecow333 posted:

the protagonist loses her ability to speak in the game's opening so that's literally what the hum button is for. Cradle the machine ghost of your man and hum to it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I moved backwards from Luigi's Mansion 3 to Dark Moon, and I'm just loving the series' charm. My favorite bit is that Luigi will sometimes just start humming along with the background music, it's so fun. I'm sure I've played other that have gone for that gag too, but I'm drawing a blank on any specific titles.

In one of the Saints Row games your character will sing along to certain songs on the car radio. Very badly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Lone Badger posted:

In one of the Saints Row games your character will sing along to certain songs on the car radio. Very badly.

This still makes me laugh. Supposedly they didn't give them the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This was such a great detail before they decided to draw attention to it in the following games and made it a whole thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The different voices in SR3 at least all have a different performance for the song, with varying levels of skill and knowledge of the lyrics. The credits has them all singing together.

Actually that's pretty good for how the different voices aren't necessarily just reading the same script; each voice pack has its own personality and some scenes and dynamics play out quite differently, even the part later where you're surgically disguised as another character whose VA is voicing the Boss, they have some completely different dialogue to go with the personality of the voice you're already using.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

YggiDee posted:

the protagonist loses her ability to speak in the game's opening so that's literally what the hum button is for. Cradle the machine ghost of your man and hum to it.

God I wish that was me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The different voices in SR3 at least all have a different performance for the song, with varying levels of skill and knowledge of the lyrics. The credits has them all singing together.

Actually that's pretty good for how the different voices aren't necessarily just reading the same script; each voice pack has its own personality and some scenes and dynamics play out quite differently, even the part later where you're surgically disguised as another character whose VA is voicing the Boss, they have some completely different dialogue to go with the personality of the voice you're already using.

Iirc this is actually a thing for SR2 too, it’s just that it doesn’t apply to the actual pre-rendered cutscenes for any of the SR games and SR3/4 have a lot more mid-mission dialogue and a lot less cutscenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc this is actually a thing for SR2 too, it’s just that it doesn’t apply to the actual pre-rendered cutscenes for any of the SR games and SR3/4 have a lot more mid-mission dialogue and a lot less cutscenes.

Yeah, this is all true.

And to circle to the SR2 singalong again, something I find neat is that every voice sings along to two songs: Take On Me, and one unique to them. I know the one that mostly hums along (I think Laura Bailey?) does Everybody Wants To Rule The World, which is a very weird experience because you're probably not even gonna notice until you hit the chorus.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Cockney boss singing The Final Countdown was great. Actually the Cockney boss was the best boss voice throughout I thought.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Sheffield was the goat

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

Cockney boss singing The Final Countdown was great. Actually the Cockney boss was the best boss voice throughout I thought.

Which one was it that one is the voices was just label "Nolan North"? Always thought that was funny

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of liked where the reboot went with it's plot with the guy who you hire for a job temporarily and he's shocked at how chill the gang is and how much non-violent stuff they do as team building, and becomes obsessed with the idea of friendship to the extent that he tries to kill the Boss and replace him in a hosed-up sitcom version of his life. It may have been a bit undercooked but I liked the idea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TontoCorazon posted:

Which one was it that one is the voices was just label "Nolan North"? Always thought that was funny

It's especially funny since the default voice was Troy Baker and now he's the Nolan North

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was posting about what some of the Mario RPGs don’t get right in the sister thread, which made me wanna post about something Super Mario RPG gets right: not making attacks/special moves take too long. Nearly all the special moves are pretty snappy and the ones that can potentially go on for a while like Super/Ultra Jump are involved enough with the execution that it doesn’t feel like a drag.

Also something clever that feels like it doesn’t get nearly enough props: some of the same weapon types have similar inputs, but they tend to be distanced apart, so you’ll start off by having Mario punch because he’s unarmed, then he gets a hammer, then a koopa shell, and a few hours later he gets a new hammer which has a slightly different animation and sweet spot for a Perfect attack, which makes even just doing normal fights in the remake more engaging than pretty much any of other Mario RPGs.

Also also: the game is legitimately a labor of love with its gags, like everyone knows the obvious ones like Mario’s pantomiming but there’s just a lot of dumb goofy stuff like activating a seesaw to hit a prize block with a bobomb…which doesn’t explode like you’d expect, but the hammer in the prize block DOES hit Mario on the head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Super Mario RPG is pretty much made of these, and nearly all of them are original.

One bit that's heartwarming and also hilarious is when Mario's left outside while Mallow finally goes to meet his parents for the first time and after what looks like a moment's thought, he gets out and unfurls Peach's parasol... right before it starts raining. Because he's seen enough times by now that when Mallow cries, it starts raining, and there are definitely going to be tears when he's reunited with his family. There's a lot of little touches that give Mario some real personality, despite him usually being dismissed as a blank slate.

I do like the remake introducing a lot more clarity than I remember the original having with the mechanics. Old school JRPGs are pretty infamous for having lots of opaque and misleading, sometimes outright bugged or mistranslated mechanics and entire systems that players don't notice at all. While modern games may overexplain things at times it's really nice when they actually have coherent explanations that aren't obtrusive or tutorialised to the point where you tune it out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like how the updated graphics still do nothing to help explain what in the hell belome is supposed to be

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's technically a downside but one I find funny enough not to mind - because graphics have got good enough they can just have the characters look like the actors exactly now, it kind of spoils certain plot points. Like in Death Stranding, because they made all the characters digital actors instead of actually... designing a loving character for them to voice over, it kind of spoils a mild twist midway through as the main villain, who is voiced by Troy Baker and normally wears a mask is attempting to be given some kind of mystery, but the mystery fails if you know what Troy looks like, and there is a moment where he tries to trick the protagonist into delivering a nuke by posing as a civilian and asking him to do a job, but the player is like "Dude, you look like Troy Baker, you are clearly the villain just without his mask..."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't believe Ocelot would let me down like that :negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really like it when a video game makes the map of the in game world an Actual Map. I can only think examples in World of Warcraft (where your character model will pull out the map, but you get a traditional map screen), and Far Cry 2 (your character pulls out the map and puts it right up to his face, just like real life)

I'd like to see it more. IMMERSE ME IN YOUR WORLD.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The map in Uncharted Lost Legacy is also an actual map.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

i like how the updated graphics still do nothing to help explain what in the hell belome is supposed to be

I love how bizarre some of the designs are, just so 90s Square making whatever the gently caress they felt like experimenting with 3D.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love how bizarre some of the designs are, just so 90s Square making whatever the gently caress they felt like experimenting with 3D.

They really are just weird, weird little guys, like I don’t know why there’s a gladiator ant, smiley face poison cloud, a robot dog, a shark man that looks like he hollowed out a sharkskin to wear as a body suit or a little thief guy that makes Evangelion references, but I love them all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

It's technically a downside but one I find funny enough not to mind - because graphics have got good enough they can just have the characters look like the actors exactly now, it kind of spoils certain plot points. Like in Death Stranding, because they made all the characters digital actors instead of actually... designing a loving character for them to voice over, it kind of spoils a mild twist midway through as the main villain, who is voiced by Troy Baker and normally wears a mask is attempting to be given some kind of mystery, but the mystery fails if you know what Troy looks like, and there is a moment where he tries to trick the protagonist into delivering a nuke by posing as a civilian and asking him to do a job, but the player is like "Dude, you look like Troy Baker, you are clearly the villain just without his mask..."

Do that many people really know what Troy Baker looks like?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I had no idea what Troy Baker looked like, the bigger tipoff for me was the package being clearly labeled as a nuclear bomb???

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On a similar note, I always thought that while the idea of playing an intro mission as the boss and then settling on their appearance and voice was smart, Saints Row 3 kinda spoiled it when the boss' voice in the intro mission was clearly Troy Baker voice, voice processor or not. Although it is a very good voice option throughout the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

I had no idea what Troy Baker looked like, the bigger tipoff for me was the package being clearly labeled as a nuclear bomb???

Yeah but why is that my problem? I'm a deliveryman, this is a delivery. The mail must move.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah but why is that my problem? I'm a deliveryman, this is a delivery. The mail must move.

wasn't that the story behind one of the Fallout New Vegas DLCs? like you're a mail carrier and then apparently some years ago one of the packages you delivered was an explosive, and the guy whose hometown you delivered it to is pissed

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Also they really weren’t trying to hide that he’s the bad guy, if you look at what he hands you in your inventory it straight up says what it is,

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Can't believe they spoiled the reveal that Shade Terrorman was a bad guy for wanting you to deliver an armed nuke

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
He can be subtle when he wants to. Guess who you delivered all those increasingly-delicate pizzas to?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sam is a bipedal nuclear device delivery system.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
A metal gear?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

FISSION MAILED

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

FISSION MAILED

:eyepop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

FISSION MAILED

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Necrothatcher posted:

FISSION MAILED

making GBS threads hell

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kojima waited nearly 2 decades to complete that joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I could not point Troy Baker out of a lineup nor could I tell you which selection of five voices was his. I'm usually that way with voice actors unless they have distinct voices, and his voice is just so non-distinct that it just fades into nothing for me.