Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Some random person on Twitter claims that artillery ammo production by BAE Systems in the UK will be drastically increased "in the near future":
https://twitter.com/cameron19460429/status/1733670684700594436

I can't find a good source for this though, so not sure how true it is. What is true is that Ukraine needs the west to actually start making more ammo for them, the Russians have definitely already ramped up their production.

It was also in the news recently that Finland will increase its artillery ammo production to aid Ukraine, however that won't be enough by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Apparently Russia is happy with the current US status.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-pals-think-the-gop-just-won-them-the-war-in-ukraine

Propagandists are being pretty clear about where the problem is in the USA, and how they anticipate it helping Russia in this war.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there anyway Europe is able to step up support?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gucci Loafers posted:

Is there anyway Europe is able to step up support?

Is Europe able to step up? Absolutely. But it would require money, time, and the will to do it. I'm not sure sure they have all of that. Some countries are more willing than others (some are a flat no, like Hungary) but it would probably still take a lot of time and the war might be over (not in Ukraines favor) by the time the production of arms gets underway. Many EU countries are already in the process of increasing arms production for things like artillery shells but it's not going to make up for losing US arms if and when that happens.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Considering the dogshit state the Russian army is in, I reckon that if US cuts out all support to Ukraine they will still be able to defend Ukraine (presuming Europe continues to support), but any hope of liberation for currently occupied territory will be lost.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just about the entire Ukrainian state is paid for with foreign aid money: Pensions, soldier's wages, etc.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Keisari posted:

Considering the dogshit state the Russian army is in, I reckon that if US cuts out all support to Ukraine they will still be able to defend Ukraine (presuming Europe continues to support), but any hope of liberation for currently occupied territory will be lost.

On the one hand this benefits Russia because as far as most of its leadership class is concerned, this cost them nothing and can do it again for slightly more land whenever they think they have the advantage

On the other, it's gonna be a long time before they have anything resembling an advantage again

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
In Finland there's this crazy putinist guy, who earlier in his life got a legit PhD and docenture from Uni Helsinki, but then went insane and was hired by (probably) Putin and started spewing massive amounts of Putin's propaganda. Article (in Finnish) about his latest claims

The main interesting thing about this is that Russia, as is known, always accuses others of doing the exact same things it is doing itself; and one of the accusations is a planned terrorist strike against a western passenger jet. Says Bäckman:

"The West plots to crash a Finnish or Swedish airliner near the Åland Islands. According to Bäckman, Russia could then be blamed for the crash, just as it happened with the downing of MH17 over Ukraine, giving it an excuse to occupy the Baltic Sea and Åland."

So if you switch "The West" and "Russia" in the above, you get Russia's plan. Luckily Russia is not, realistically, in any position to be able to occupy Åland or anything else in the Baltic

Keisari
May 24, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

On the one hand this benefits Russia because as far as most of its leadership class is concerned, this cost them nothing and can do it again for slightly more land whenever they think they have the advantage

On the other, it's gonna be a long time before they have anything resembling an advantage again

I didn't mean that any treaty would be signed, just that it would likely stagnate into trench warfare. But yeah, we can't allow Russia to just consolidate and try this poo poo again in 20 years.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just about the entire Ukrainian state is paid for with foreign aid money: Pensions, soldier's wages, etc.

Ukraine’s economy is still functioning, though on a war footing. With all the support sent to Ukraine, stopping it now would almost guarantee no or very limited returns on said support. What is going on in Washington is political theatre.

In regards to the NS pipeline, it is simple. If it were not blown up or some other act of god disabled it, Gazprom/Russia would still be required to pay Germany and any other EU states they had deals with for failing to provide what was stated in their contracts. Gazprom has by far benefited the most with the pipeline being blown up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

jaete posted:

In Finland there's this crazy putinist guy, who earlier in his life got a legit PhD and docenture from Uni Helsinki, but then went insane and was hired by (probably) Putin and started spewing massive amounts of Putin's propaganda. Article (in Finnish) about his latest claims

The main interesting thing about this is that Russia, as is known, always accuses others of doing the exact same things it is doing itself; and one of the accusations is a planned terrorist strike against a western passenger jet. Says Bäckman:

"The West plots to crash a Finnish or Swedish airliner near the Åland Islands. According to Bäckman, Russia could then be blamed for the crash, just as it happened with the downing of MH17 over Ukraine, giving it an excuse to occupy the Baltic Sea and Åland."

So if you switch "The West" and "Russia" in the above, you get Russia's plan. Luckily Russia is not, realistically, in any position to be able to occupy Åland or anything else in the Baltic

Why the hell would ”the West” need to fabricate an excuse to put military in… a Western country that is now part of NATO?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Why the hell would ”the West” need to fabricate an excuse to put military in… a Western country that is now part of NATO?

The claim was about the Åland Islands specifically.

https://peace.ax/en/the-demilitarisation-of-aland-in-a-nutshell/

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/10/hungary-viktor-orban-republicans-ukraine-aid

It's about Orban's support of Putin, his sabotage of the EU response, and the coordination of the far-right Internationale. For some reason I thought the Heritage Foundation was more of a Koch-like libertarian dystopia think tank, less of a MAGA one, but I guess I can't keep all the assholes straight.

Not paywalled, so I'll just post the intro:

quote:

Allies of Hungary’s far-right prime minister Viktor Orbán will hold a closed-door meeting with Republicans in Washington to push for an end to US military support for Ukraine, the Guardian has learned.

Members of the Hungarian Institute of International Affairs and staff from the Hungarian embassy in Washington will on Monday begin a two-day event hosted by the conservative Heritage Foundation thinktank.

And one particularly gross excerpt:

quote:

Hungary has been portrayed by conservative media as an anti-“woke” paradise and model for the United States. Some far-right Republicans, such as Kari Lake and Paul Gosar, said they would like to see the “Hungarian model” transplanted to the US, especially when it comes to immigration and family policies. CPAC went to Hungary for the second time this year, and former Fox News host Tucker Carlson shot multiple episodes in Hungary touting Orbán policies.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

Not paywalled, so I'll just post the intro:

And one particularly gross excerpt:

Probably worth mentioning that all these regressive "anti-woke" & "family oriented" authoritarian states like Hungary or Russia actually have piss poor birth rates that are lower than the countries supposedly living under the brutal yoke of the gay agenda like Scandinavia or France.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've been away from news sources for a couple months, and I've lost track of where this whole situation is sitting.

Could someone throw me a summary of the last couple months or link a reliable source that can provide a rundown?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Probably worth mentioning that all these regressive "anti-woke" & "family oriented" authoritarian states like Hungary or Russia actually have piss poor birth rates that are lower than the countries supposedly living under the brutal yoke of the gay agenda like Scandinavia or France.

I'm sure they say that the birth-rates in wokeland are due to white replacement.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

jaete posted:

Some random person on Twitter claims that artillery ammo production by BAE Systems in the UK will be drastically increased "in the near future":
https://twitter.com/cameron19460429/status/1733670684700594436

I can't find a good source for this though, so not sure how true it is. What is true is that Ukraine needs the west to actually start making more ammo for them, the Russians have definitely already ramped up their production.

It was also in the news recently that Finland will increase its artillery ammo production to aid Ukraine, however that won't be enough by itself

Seems optimistic.

The UK signed £2.4 billion 15 year deal for ammunition back in 2020
https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2020/11/30/bae-systems-gets-32-billion-deal-so-british-forces-can-reload/

"Figures provided by MoD estimate BAE will annually produce approximately 70 million rounds of small-arms ammunition, 100,000 large-caliber rounds, 40,000 medium-caliber shells and 75,000 mortar rounds."

Additional funding in 2023 added £410 million to that.
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-boosts-munitions-order-to-410m-amidst-ukraine-crisis/#comments

"The expanded £410m contract will facilitate further investment in the defence sector. Key areas of investment include an additional 155mm machining line in Washington, Tyne & Wear, the establishment of a novel explosive filling facility in Glascoed, South Wales, and the revival of 30mm medium calibre manufacturing capabilities at both Washington and Glascoed locations."

Maybe if you by "in the near future" mean when these new facilities are built and the new, not yet fully tested Next Generation Adaptable Ammunition - which BAE says will be cheaper and easier to produce comes into frutition.

NGAA sales blurb at Defence and Security Equipment International 2023
https://www.edrmagazine.eu/bae-syst...-at-lower-costs

"How far away is the NGAA? “We plan to demonstrate it in late 2023,” the speakers announced, EDR On-Line understanding that the demo will encompass all the major elements of the new round."

Burns
May 10, 2008

Question on Hungary. Does Orban's government actually represent the general public sentiment and general hostility towards supporting Ukraine?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Burns posted:

Question on Hungary. Does Orban's government actually represent the general public sentiment and general hostility towards supporting Ukraine?

In the State? Hell no, people in Budapest hate his loving balls. It isn't until you get into the suburbs or rural areas that he's actually liked.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
country folk like him

city folk hate him

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I've been away from news sources for a couple months, and I've lost track of where this whole situation is sitting.

Could someone throw me a summary of the last couple months or link a reliable source that can provide a rundown?

It´s not primarily a summary but this Perun video does cover the broad strokes of the last few months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKiFAKMoi0

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tatarigami with his insights on the current fronts:
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1734305286989533596#m

Russians on the offensive along several fronts exploiting limited Ukrainian reserves seems to be the summary. Did not realize that Mari’nka is in serious trouble.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Burns posted:

Depends on what you mean because the general reaction is not that dissimilar than you would see in the US for example. What I mean is that if people are Anti-Ukraine that's mostly because the media said so and currently almost every traditional media is run by actors close to the state. So people who are anti-Ukraine are because they consume state media, people who are pro-ukraine are so because they consume international media.
It doesn't matter that they are a neighbouring state, the war feels like a far off thing and while there are some historical conflicts and issues with Hungarian expats in Ukraine most people outside of crazy nationalists and conspiracy theorists don't really care.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cross posting:

https://twitter.com/cvetko35/status/1734625122529550455

There have apparently been several rallies like this, with women marching and demanding an end to the war which is devouring their sons and husbands and fathers.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
There probably wouldn’t be a mobilization and so much death if Russia just went back across the border and stopped slaughtering the Ukrainian people in their own country?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Cool vatnik repost bot you got there.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ummel posted:

Cool vatnik repost bot you got there.

yeah wtf is this lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Dandywalken posted:

yeah wtf is this lol

An Obvious troll?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cross posting:

There have apparently been several rallies like this, with women marching and demanding an end to the war which is devouring their sons and husbands and fathers.

I'm surprised, such protests are usually broken up quickly by the police

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ohh I see, it's in Ukraine

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cross posting:

I posted about that protest, it's from a couple of weeks ago. They are not regular and not high in numbers. They also don't demand 'an end to the war', they demand demobilisation, just like wives and relatives of the mobilised in Russia.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Possible evidence of GLSDB use in Ukraine. Apparently there were more delays.

https://youtu.be/O1jTFp1lcZY?si=iE8397IuwnvfeTB3

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/zelensky-biden-visit-12-12-23/h_fb4626cce0c7f77ad27221f3e0a9512a

CNN notes the shift in terms from 'as long as it takes' to 'as long as possible'.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

MikeC posted:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/zelensky-biden-visit-12-12-23/h_fb4626cce0c7f77ad27221f3e0a9512a

CNN notes the shift in terms from 'as long as it takes' to 'as long as possible'.

In the context of the need for the Republicans to end their obstruction.

Far more interesting is that Biden said We want Ukraine to win the war , a clarity that was gone for a while
from the WH.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If true, that seems impactful
https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-intelligence-attacks-paralyses-russias-134100691.html

quote:

: "During the special operation, military spies managed to break into one of the well-protected key central servers of the Federal Taxation Service (FTS of the Russian Federation), and then into more than 2,300 of its regional servers throughout Russia, as well as on the territory of temporarily occupied Crimea.

As a result of the cyberattack, all servers were infected with malware...

The Russians have been unsuccessfully trying to restore the work of the Russian tax authorities for the fourth day in a row. The experts say the paralysis in the work of the Federal Taxation Service of the Russian Federation will last at least a month. At the same time, resuscitation of the tax system of the aggressor state in full is impossible."

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
They're claiming to have destroyed the primary and backup databases for most/all of Russia. God drat. And that they got a copy of stuff for themselves :v:

quote:

In addition, Internet traffic of tax data on the scale of the whole of Russia ended up in the hands of the military intelligence of Ukraine.

Wonder what interesting nuggets might be in there.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 13, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm particularly amused because before this war everyone was terrified of Russian cyberwarfare and talking about how it could be used to paralyze their opponents. That's aged about as well as the talk about Russia having the second strongest army in the world.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

I'm particularly amused because before this war everyone was terrified of Russian cyberwarfare and talking about how it could be used to paralyze their opponents. That's aged about as well as the talk about Russia having the second strongest army in the world.
I guess the script kiddie army doesn't work against proper defense?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cross posting:

from where, dare i ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
"In priority frontline sectors, we have the following ratio: one of our drones to five or seven enemy drones", says some Ukrainian army guy

This seems pretty concerning - even if Ukraine gets more aid etc, how would they attack into such a mass of drones? Maybe just have to... go around? As I understand it anti-drone tech isn't exactly great yet on either side, so not sure if a remedy even exists.

Here's some random guy also saying that drones have already become a big deal especially on the Russian side (short thread):
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1734328740610511296