Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kobal2 posted:

(why does a HEAVY bolter making GBS threads out AP rockets as wide as my arm do less damage than even Argenta's starting "old and obsolete" regular bolter, or even the standard bolt pistol ?! Makes no sense in universe OR considering the talent investment it requires.)

It's because all of the various stacking modifiers you can put together in this game can make very high rates of fire brokenly powerful, so they make the baseline performance of the gun kind of mediocre. Shooting out 16 shots in a burst for like 6-8 damage is dogshit, but when you stack up +20 damage and crit on every shot suddenly you fire off a blurt and everything in a giant cone turns into a cloud of chunky salsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The neoseeker guide is woefully outdated, and the companion builds aren't even valid because they're based on the beta.

Other then some youtube videos, are there any build guides for min maxing the companions? I'm at level 11 and everyone feels kind of underpowered.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Keep in mind If anyone gets really frustrated with the difficulty you should just set it lower especially if you are > the default. Release day Owlcat hard modes can be rough unless you like exploiting bugs, but it'll get smoothed out in patches probably in time for a 2nd playthrough trying out a different ideological path.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

The neoseeker guide is woefully outdated, and the companion builds aren't even valid because they're based on the beta.

Other then some youtube videos, are there any build guides for min maxing the companions? I'm at level 11 and everyone feels kind of underpowered.

Slandered Gaming on YouTube has started putting google docs in his recent build videos. His stuff is pretty solid overall.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

whats with all the random vine booms that keep playing on the flagship bridge

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As mentioned above, it seems to be a sound bug. People have traced it to popping up after you get the sentient servitor text event and the Edge of Daybreak captain's cabin event. Specifically it seems to be the sound made if you dispose of the servitors at the end of that event.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

whats with all the random vine booms that keep playing on the flagship bridge

Apparrently a bug with the defective servitors miniquest. Some of 'em on the bridge are supposed to malfunction and fall over. Instead they t-pose, don't despawn properly and collide with architecture, causing that noise.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Further Reading posted:

Slandered Gaming on YouTube has started putting google docs in his recent build videos. His stuff is pretty solid overall.

thanks I'm bad at video games, just give me a guide so I can have fun

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Seriously why does every single conversation with Cass have a "m'lady do you... do you like me???" option

To balance out all the "you're a loving monster, I hope you loving DIE, btw plz keep piloting my ship" options.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone should make a mod that adds an option to every dialog with cass that just says "OK cool" or "word"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright back to the Event Horizon to clear this bullshit hulk, now that I'm like 15 levels higher. loving wall screamers aren't gonna know what.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Janissary Hop posted:

To balance out all the "you're a loving monster, I hope you loving DIE, btw plz keep piloting my ship" options.
I appreciate that there are an abundant supply of douchebag comments but they're not, like

1. Be racist
2. Be REALLY racist
3. Be racist but in a religious way
4. Be kind of racist but mostly greedy
5. Say something vaguely normal
6. Summon Slaneesh
7. This conversation is over

for every conversation tree.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Just found the crashed black ship that got nurgled. That a neat fight at the end but ugh there was some serious graphical lag. And Iol at the option to hold Hendrix's hand while exploring the wreck.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone have any screenshots of some of the best MC asking Abelard to announce them and A doing the deed moments? I really want to forward some on to friends to sell them on the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started a new save because I'm a dumbass who always gets 75% of the way through a CRPG then restarts but it's hilarious how much easier all this early game stuff is when you understand how the combat works and know how to be hyperaggressive. I'm ending all the fights in the starport in 1-2 turns this time before most of the enemies even get a chance to act

The best defense really is a good offense after all...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I always forget to spend this down.

Memnaelar posted:

Anyone have any screenshots of some of the best MC asking Abelard to announce them and A doing the deed moments? I really want to forward some on to friends to sell them on the game.

Do they like fire?

Regarding the frankly improbably number of ambushes when landing on planets.

This could very well be promotional material.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m just in act 2 now, and I’ve got to say I really adore it, even if it’s a bit janky! The combat is great, the writing is characteristically good, and it nails the 40k feel. The combat system is also hardly *that* complex, though it certainly took a bit of getting used to.

I will say the graphics are surprisingly poor, and its performance not amazing for what you get visually, but it nails the aesthetics so well it’s usually ignorable. Haven’t run into too many bad bugs, but have definitely had to reload here and there. Classic eurojank, honestly, but suffers from the BG3 comparison (as most games do).

Anyways it’s a great game, and all my criticisms are that I want more from it! More voice acting and NPC portraits in particular would go a long long way.

These are good criticisms to have though. I long to imagine what could have been done with another ten million in funding and six more months in development!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Act 1 spoilers, Navigator area. I'm trying to talk my way through things, but it seems I have to fight one of the two Navigators, when both agree that taking the totally not a problem mutant on my ship is a good solution. It is pretty weird when previous conversations had an option to say "I'll just kidnap you and plug you into my ship". It feels that leaving them to their little civil war should be an option.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Ok, general thoughts near the end of the game.

Officer is broken good, as are it's upgrade archtypes. You ideally want 2-3 Officers in every combat. Once you get near the end of the game and can build for big Momentum boosts, you can very easily cycle endless turns. + Resolve stacking means more and more Momentum, which translates to more free turns, which translates to more Momentum. With how I'm set up/geared up right now I can genuinely go from start of combat to boss dead without the boss ever getting a turn. It's broken, it'll get fixed, it basically has to get fixed at some point.

Outside of that, Argenta is obviously MVP. Focus RoF and Resolve related stuff. She can make the Momentum bar go from zero to full very easily.

Cassia is second MVP, get the ally buffs/focus on her AoE. The debuffs are whatever. But between Cassia and my weird Officer loop I can give companions absurd stats like +20 Resolve, and 200-300 of most of the Attributes. Needless to say we are just rolling every fight on Daring.

I never figured out how to use Operative/Assassin and frankly don't care. They seem way too fiddly for the amount of effort they put out, and can't compare to my weird endless loop strats. Yrliet is able to capitalize a bit on this stuff, and she's really good, but Argenta can fire 24 shots out of her 16 shot Bolter, all the shots have 100% accuracy, and all of the shots do 200+ damage. Oh and she can do it an infinite number of times until everything is dead. Pew pew rifle doesn't hold up.

For Psykers you can do whatever frankly. All the trees seem pretty powerful in different ways. I've set up mine to help with my endless lust for Resolve gains to pop Momentum. Pyro seems neat but the damage just can't compare to once again the endless Argenta.

Iconoclast has been fun. A healthy mix of things actually working out fine or blowing up in my face. Some obvious, some less obvious. Been fun.

REALLY want to do a Heretical run as I get close to the ending. They did a good job with it.

Crime Lord/Noble are by far the most powerful starts. Commisar/Psyker/Astra are all fine. Naval Officer/Priest both seem extremely underwhelming.

Voidborn is probably the most powerful Homeworld. Fortress World has several Fortress World only items ingame that are openly busted. Hive and Forge have some neat stuff. Death World stuff has all been whatever, and Imperial World seems to only benefit you with the free Attributes. This sounds great until you realize once again the Officer/Navigator combo can give upwards of 150+ to all stats constantly to your entire team. Which somewhat weakens the +10 it offers.

Game good, I fully expect a Season 2 for DLC after the year is up. I'm eager to come back at some point and do Heretical.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was a little worried about having to triple stack Officer since I want my MC, Cass and that other one in my party, so I'm glad to hear that it's actually broken good.

Maybe double Officer is why I'm having such an easy time on Daring so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think pyro psyker would be mostly fixed if ignite didn't count as an attack. it already doesn't cost mp. the powers that spread and use burning work fine, but to start it off you have to waste a turn on ignite.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I think about it. Getting 3 turns before the combat starts does sound pretty busted.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Passive weapon abilities only apply from the weapons you're currently holding, right?
Not from the weapons in your secondary set?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rookersh posted:

It's broken, it'll get fixed, it basically has to get fixed at some point.

It doesn't really have to get fixed because it's a single player game, who cares if something is broken. You can choose not to do it. I'd prefer Owlcat spent the time fixing the bugs not trying to balance things and breaking it more.

Can confirm that operative /assassin is extremely tedious.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Speaking of LOS issues, the strategist perk that enables everyone to move to a designated zone seems to think there is an obstruction 99% of the time and I've barely gotten it to work.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Speaking of LOS issues, the strategist perk that enables everyone to move to a designated zone seems to think there is an obstruction 99% of the time and I've barely gotten it to work.

I've just learnt to live with my guys simply not being able to walk in certain directions in combat. Hope it doesn't matter later in the game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lore question / intro Why do we need a Navigator to leave the warp? If you want to get somewhere specific you need a Navigator to, well, navigate, but if the only direction you're interested in going is 'out' then that's an engineering challenge not a cartographic one.

(Voidships can enter and leave the warp just fine with no Navigator, Chartist captains do it all the time. It's just that without someone capable of seeing where you're going you might end up anywhere)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Lore question / intro Why do we need a Navigator to leave the warp? If you want to get somewhere specific you need a Navigator to, well, navigate, but if the only direction you're interested in going is 'out' then that's an engineering challenge not a cartographic one.

(Voidships can enter and leave the warp just fine with no Navigator, Chartist captains do it all the time. It's just that without someone capable of seeing where you're going you might end up anywhere)

Didn't you just answer your own question?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Entering the Warp without a Navigator is possible but usually a bad idea. Leaving the Warp without a Navigator should be perfectly normal, as much as any transition ever is. And what we want to do in the intro is leave

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Seriously why does every single conversation with Cass have a "m'lady do you... do you like me???" option

She was a sheltered person and pretty much got all of her ideas of what romance is from "M'lady" books. Her romance is like that too, you have to be like a an even bigger Mr. Darcy from what I've seen so far.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

The Lone Badger posted:

Entering the Warp without a Navigator is possible but usually a bad idea. Leaving the Warp without a Navigator should be perfectly normal, as much as any transition ever is. And what we want to do in the intro is leave

You don't know where you leave, that's the problem. You may leave in a populated system, but the chance that you leave the Warp in the middle of the universe, with no support nearby, will pretty much kill you, as in, supplies will dwindle and the ship will end up drifting all alone, with everyone inside of it dead. Actually, I think this happens in one of the Horus Heresy books and the crew is terrified that they will never be found again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

She's a massive loving nerd *and* nobility, this is how it's supposed to go in her world.

Kobal2 posted:

That being said, the standard Heavy Bolter is pretty disappointing in practice, IMO.

The issue is that it's fundamentally easier to get flat damage than flat RoF, and flat damage favors the Heavy. By mid-game you can stack any drat bolter to like 200 damage a shot, and the Heavy will be shooting more and ignoring slightly more armor doing it. In a situation where most of your damage comes from bonuses, having more instances of damage lets you pull ahead. Conversely it's harder to get flat RoF, so the gap between the RoF of a Bolter and the Heavy will never really close. It'll always be about double the number of shots. If you aren't doing double the damage from each shot, the Heavy wins. It doesn't matter that much though, beyond say one incredibly broken gun 99% of people will probably never use [Hi, if you really want the Improved Heavy Bolter give basically everything you can to the pirates as early as you can, namaste.].

It really, truly does not matter though. You can stack the number super high either way if you know what you are doing, and if you don't neither approach is being all it can be. Just have fun. The Heavy approach also lets you use the Heavy Flamer though, and turning an entire direction into a field of flames is really funny to me. Like there are absolutely higher damage flamers, but by God nothing that has that much AoE. Hell if you are putting it on Argenta her Flensing Faith means like half the enemies of the game don't even have good armor against it, eliminating one of the big weaknesses of a flamer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Ok, general thoughts near the end of the game.

Officer is broken good, as are it's upgrade archtypes. You ideally want 2-3 Officers in every combat. Once you get near the end of the game and can build for big Momentum boosts, you can very easily cycle endless turns. + Resolve stacking means more and more Momentum, which translates to more free turns, which translates to more Momentum. With how I'm set up/geared up right now I can genuinely go from start of combat to boss dead without the boss ever getting a turn. It's broken, it'll get fixed, it basically has to get fixed at some point.

Outside of that, Argenta is obviously MVP. Focus RoF and Resolve related stuff. She can make the Momentum bar go from zero to full very easily.

Cassia is second MVP, get the ally buffs/focus on her AoE. The debuffs are whatever. But between Cassia and my weird Officer loop I can give companions absurd stats like +20 Resolve, and 200-300 of most of the Attributes. Needless to say we are just rolling every fight on Daring.

I never figured out how to use Operative/Assassin and frankly don't care. They seem way too fiddly for the amount of effort they put out, and can't compare to my weird endless loop strats. Yrliet is able to capitalize a bit on this stuff, and she's really good, but Argenta can fire 24 shots out of her 16 shot Bolter, all the shots have 100% accuracy, and all of the shots do 200+ damage. Oh and she can do it an infinite number of times until everything is dead. Pew pew rifle doesn't hold up.

For Psykers you can do whatever frankly. All the trees seem pretty powerful in different ways. I've set up mine to help with my endless lust for Resolve gains to pop Momentum. Pyro seems neat but the damage just can't compare to once again the endless Argenta.

Iconoclast has been fun. A healthy mix of things actually working out fine or blowing up in my face. Some obvious, some less obvious. Been fun.

REALLY want to do a Heretical run as I get close to the ending. They did a good job with it.

Crime Lord/Noble are by far the most powerful starts. Commisar/Psyker/Astra are all fine. Naval Officer/Priest both seem extremely underwhelming.

Voidborn is probably the most powerful Homeworld. Fortress World has several Fortress World only items ingame that are openly busted. Hive and Forge have some neat stuff. Death World stuff has all been whatever, and Imperial World seems to only benefit you with the free Attributes. This sounds great until you realize once again the Officer/Navigator combo can give upwards of 150+ to all stats constantly to your entire team. Which somewhat weakens the +10 it offers.

Game good, I fully expect a Season 2 for DLC after the year is up. I'm eager to come back at some point and do Heretical.

I think operative assassin is worse than Operative Bounty Hunter for Yrliet, bounty hunter starts giving you free extra shots and super high boosts to crit as long as you time your hunts and kills correctly, Eventually a boosted yrliet is just deleting several models a turn, cutting right through enemy armor, and doing it at nearly any range. She does good work for me. Bounty Hunter skills are also modified by BS+Perception which is better for her stats than the Agility than assassin does, and assasssins main thing seems to benefit characters who are close ranged fighters who can run around enemies better.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 13, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Cassia's Lidless Stare suddenly stopped working. I target some fools and it shows they will be affected but after it plays the cast animation nothing happens. The spell FX doesn't even trigger and there's nothing in the log about people being hit or resisting. Hope it fixes itself eventually because that spell is bad rear end

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Cassia's Lidless Stare suddenly stopped working. I target some fools and it shows they will be affected but after it plays the cast animation nothing happens. The spell FX doesn't even trigger and there's nothing in the log about people being hit or resisting. Hope it fixes itself eventually because that spell is bad rear end

I think this happens if the square you click on is not a valid place for a character to stand.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Do the Master Tactician temporary wound bonuses stack? My Party is built off of my MC and Abelard vanguards just shouting at everyone to attack them and I wanna know if having 2 master tacticians is worth it

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think Cassia's m'lady stuff would probably be more fun and less cringe if they'd actually played with the contrast between her love of repressed formal romance and the fact that she's meant to be compulsively transmitting her deepest emotions to those around her.

Picking up her dropped handkerchief or saying some ridiculous courtly line resulting in a very formal reaction from her, but shipwide waves of happiness and lust all around her would have been funny and sweet, but they just forget about that aspect of her for some reason.

Anyway, my Act 4 is definitely fully blocked by bugs so no going on further for me. It's a massive pity, I was mostly having a great time and it felt like it could have been the first Owlcat game I actually finished.

For anyone who struggles with the Act 3 boss, as I did:
I found it helped to immediately retreat to the bottom of the stairs and tackle the Grotesques from there; it's a melee-heavy enemy setup so you can thin the Incubi out as they descend rather than trying to go toe-to-toe. The extra troops who show up per turn are mostly free Momentum, but you do need to prep for the boss' reaction to hitting half-health; having a good melee character engaged and ready to parry her first attack saved my party from disaster.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dunno if Cassia's dialogue didn't trigger correctly, but all the m'lady/horny dialogue came just after her fairly traumatic introduction to the party (seeing her sorta adoptive father killed and then the sacrifice required to hook her up to the ship gps) so it felt completely out of place. I didn't even know she was sheltered or anything about her at all so it was weird for that convo to come before any significant 'hi who are you'.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I honestly have no idea what Owlcat was thinking with Officer in general. It's absolutely insanely rear end backwards that the fairly minor stat buff they start with has an extremely strict cooldown to stop you from spamming it on one person, but the "give someone a 2 AP turn immediately" button has no restrictions at all and gleefully allows you to form a party circle with several officers tossing turns into your damage dealer of choice's gaping maw to allow them an endless parade of opportunities to stack their particular infinite scaling stat boost which several different classes have.

It's not even something you need to build for, they just give it to you for free immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

You doing ok over there cass?

Further Reading posted:

I think this happens if the square you click on is not a valid place for a character to stand.

I had an issue last night where I wanted her to use lidless stare and she had 1 MP left and it wanted her to fully step out of full cover to attack. I think lidless stare doesn't let her shimmy out of cover temporarily like every other ranged attack does.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 13, 2023