Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Leng posted:

good poo poo

amazing post, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Megazver posted:

There's nothing like reading Royalroad to give you as a writer a confidence boost. "Holy poo poo, you can write this badly and still get readers? (Also, I'm enjoying it myself lol, shhh, don't tell anyone.) Time to crank out a progression fantasy litrpg!"

To be clear, the onus is on me. I’m the fancy lad with the liberal arts education who can no longer enjoy anything…only appreciate it in the most literal way.

I need to read some of these if I want to do actual market research, but just can’t bite my belt and commit to reading one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Happiness Commando posted:

This is a five star review and I can't for the life of me figure out why. "Nothing happened in this book, wont continue reading the series, 5 stars"

He wants to be polite and support indie authors metrics :3:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The 5 star review standard remains atrocious and Amazon could and should fix it.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
Because I don't want to hurt the indie KU people I give a 5star if the book is at least decent, and don't leave a rating at all if I don't like it so I don't trash their numbers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

You guys are so forgiving. It’s giving me confidence to write a serialized novel for KU Shorts. “This is poo poo, yet I must read the next one” is strangely soothing to my Imposter Syndrome addled mind.
Sometimes you don't want to read a good book, y'know? Engaging with a stimulating and imaginitive work that makes cutting social commentary can be too much for your brain to deal with right now and you want some reheated garbage you can justify only half-paying-attention to even while you're actively reading it. The McDonalds hamburger of literature.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Lone Badger posted:

Sometimes you don't want to read a good book, y'know? Engaging with a stimulating and imaginitive work that makes cutting social commentary can be too much for your brain to deal with right now and you want some reheated garbage you can justify only half-paying-attention to even while you're actively reading it. The McDonalds hamburger of literature.

This is me most days after work and why I subscribe to KU. It sucks sometimes when I want to read a good or deep book because my brain is like "whoa whoa whoa what the gently caress is going on here? you want me to PAY ATTENTION?!?".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I have three little kids so this garbage is a godsend.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I disagree completely, but the onus is on me. Every year, the local NPR station does a thing where they air little bumper segments of elementary students reading their first poems. I stopped donating to NPR, after that. I’m a pretentious monster.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I disagree completely, but the onus is on me. Every year, the local NPR station does a thing where they air little bumper segments of elementary students reading their first poems. I stopped donating to NPR, after that. I’m a pretentious monster.

I assume the poems were about natural gas.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have three little kids so this garbage is a godsend.

I personally take odd comfort in the idea that my media consumption habits are more or less following a parallel trajectory to your stereotypical housewife getting really into bodice ripper and soap operas.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

PerniciousKnid posted:

I assume the poems were about natural gas.

lovely rhyming couplets about their dead grandmothers and poo poo. I wanted to leap out of my truck on the highway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Marsupial Ape posted:

lovely rhyming couplets about their dead grandmothers and poo poo. I wanted to leap out of my truck on the highway.

Jeez, no joy to be taken in children stumbling towards expressing themselves?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HopperUK posted:

Jeez, no joy to be taken in children stumbling towards expressing themselves?

no it wasn’t the usual NPR reporters

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I think I read something about KU authors being paid on how many words were read - not sure how true this is, but it completely makes sense if you look at how the Warformed/Iron Prince/Firesong or Fire and Song/Stormweaver books are written.

Every single sentence is overstuffed with WORDS, half the conversations are overwritten and unecessary. Like stated before, the first person monologues about the theory of the device and tactics are all pontless.

Was looking for a nice, fun book to read while I was in hospital and bored and it's fine, but I won't read the third unless stakes actually change.

The sponsorship offer was incredibly cringe and how no one talked about it since is bonkers.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ed balls balls man posted:

I think I read something about KU authors being paid on how many words were read - not sure how true this is, but it completely makes sense if you look at how the Warformed/Iron Prince/Firesong or Fire and Song/Stormweaver books are written.

KU pays on page reads so yes, longer books do make you more as an author.

But also because a long series makes more money, both from read through and sell through.

You want a trilogy, minimum, and if you can get more books, like five, six, seven, ten, twelve, twenty, even better.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I guess the second book in that new will wight series came out a few days ago. People didn't like the first one much so I didn't bother getting it but if the second one is really good, this wouldn't be the first time he wrote a great series that whiffed the first book. Anyone check it out?

mister
Dec 18, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

I guess the second book in that new will wight series came out a few days ago. People didn't like the first one much so I didn't bother getting it but if the second one is really good, this wouldn't be the first time he wrote a great series that whiffed the first book. Anyone check it out?

I thought it was pretty fun. Not quite as good as Cradle, but a definite improvement over the first book.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I've been reading Cradle with my son, and I definitely hit burn out hard around book 8-ish. Everything after Uncrowned is just a blur of fight scenes that grow more nebulous and less interesting than the ones that have come before. There's the stupid, obvious twist that everyone saw coming forever. The Abidan interludes just drag on and on like a Green Lantern Corps parody. There's plenty room for personal relationships to grow, characters to have motivational changes and emotional growth, but nevermind, let's whine about Dross for 3 books and talk about how hungry my big white arm is.

Nearing the end of book 11. Limping to the finish.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

MartingaleJack posted:

There's plenty room for personal relationships to grow, characters to have motivational changes and emotional growth, but nevermind, let's whine about Dross for 3 books and talk about how hungry my big white arm is.

Like… what? Emotional character and relationship growth is like 90% of what happens in Bloodline and Reaper. Dreadgod and Waybound definitely rush through the endgame, I’ll give you that.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A lot of these series are better read the way they came out and their fans read them, with long breaks in between, I think. One serving of junk food tastes good, twelve in a row is sickening.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Silynt posted:

Like… what? Emotional character and relationship growth is like 90% of what happens in Bloodline and Reaper. Dreadgod and Waybound definitely rush through the endgame, I’ll give you that.

The biggest letdown for me was Lindon's family. They barely have any dialogue. They don't affect the story in any meaningful way except as objects to be protected. There are no emotional stakes after Sacred Valley, especially for the extended cast of Mercy, Orthos, and Ziel.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The last couple of Cradle books have a very "I need to wrap this up" feeling, with the final book going even further in that regard and being a fairly large let down.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I don't get it. You spend so much of your life writing something that gives you tons of fans. Take a year or two off and refresh. Go out with a bang. I understand what it's like to be a starving author, but by book 9 Will didn't have to buy the cheap ramen anymore.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Pretty sure that's just his style. He loves fast pacing and hates any kind of 'fat' in his writing, which becomes more obvious the longer the series goes on, because there's more subplots and characters that he's ignoring to keep up the pace.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Also I don't think being successful on kindle unlimited is 'take a year or two off' lucrative

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Xand_Man posted:

Also I don't think being successful on kindle unlimited is 'take a year or two off' lucrative

Will Wight is a bit of an exception as:

1) He isn’t exclusively digital and also publishes hardcopy versions of his books.
2) He has his own little publishing company which has managed to get his books directly into stores.
3) He’s just done his second big Kickstarter, this one taking over a million dollars.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Cicero posted:

Pretty sure that's just his style. He loves fast pacing and hates any kind of 'fat' in his writing, which becomes more obvious the longer the series goes on, because there's more subplots and characters that he's ignoring to keep up the pace.

I would argue that most of the Abidan fight scenes are full fat, and a LOT of the fight scenes after the Uncrowned tournament too. There are only so many times I can stand seeing some variation of "She attacked from the Way with a technique that (insert description as long as a final fantasy 7 summon where planets are destroyed but only did 7 damage)"

I like Will Wight and think he's good, but fatigue caught up to me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Xand_Man posted:

KU successful is having a handful of middle aged nerds on a dying Web 1.0 forum complain that your content is only so-so, but they’re mad because they want more.

I would murder for that level of personal success and status. I am not doing a bit.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Marsupial Ape posted:

KU successful is having a handful of middle aged nerds on a dying Web 1.0 forum complain that your content is only so-so, but they’re mad because they want more.

I would murder for that level of personal success and status. I am not doing a bit.

You seem really normal.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

nrook posted:

You seem really normal.

You seem really full of humor and mirth. I’m glad you’re alive to share your feelings with me.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I finished book 2 (of 2.5 so far) of Drew Hayes's Villains Code. Two extremely long books but I really enjoyed them. Top end KU comfort food imo 👍

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cicero posted:

Some of the fights in Waybound (and even Dreadgod) felt less "fat removed" and more "just getting this thing done" to me compared to some of the fights earlier in the series. As someone else said before, the series felt like it hit its peak with Wintersteel.

OTOH if he announced a new Cradle book based X years after Waybound and focused on what everyone was up to after a time skip I'd probably read it the day it came out so I am part of the problem.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I finished book 2 (of 2.5 so far) of Drew Hayes's Villains Code. Two extremely long books but I really enjoyed them. Top end KU comfort food imo 👍

Those are both really good. I’d also recommend his Super Powereds series if you want more. It’s a different universe and follows a school for heroes, but it’s good.

Or if you want more villain shenanigans you can always read Worm but that’s a web serial and dips its toe in more horror elements.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The KU subscription also gives you access to digital versions of Analog, Clarkesworld, Asimov’s, and Fantasy and Science Fiction magazines if you need short fiction fixes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ravensdagger is a pretty fun author. His stuff's a little unpolished and slightly more meme-y than some might prefer (don't worry, it's not too bad, just observable), but consistently entertaining with fun worlds and casts of characters. My personal fave is the Stray Cat Strut series, about an orphaned street-kid in a horrible cyberpunk future who gets recruited by a benevolent interstellar AI collective to fight off a plant-alien invasion of Earth as a superhero-soldier.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m on book 2 of 12 Miles Below and really enjoying it, very unique world building and pretty good writing. Definitely recommend for some unique Science-fantasy goodness.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I'm about 4 chapters into Mary Mackey's "The Year the Horses Came". It's a historical drama/romance set around 4,000 BCE on the coast of Brittany dealing with first contact between the native earth goddess based matriarchal culture and invading patriarchal, sky god based warrior horse nomads. The prose is strong if stilted, but the characters are carrying their narrative weight, so far. The novel both delights and frustrates me because her world building is based almost completely on the work of archaeologist and anthropologist Marija Gimbutas. The narrative feels less like Mackey took the ideas from Gimbutas' body of work and polished and turned them to her own devices, but used the source material the same way a Dungeon Master would use the Guide to Faerun or whatever.

It is good, I just have weird TurboNerd complaints. I just finished two of Gimbutas' books and am impressed with Mackey's attention to detail.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

I thought you nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Hey! I have a book on Kindle Unlimited.

Unregistered