Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if it would be worth it dipping into Swordlock for throwing build for the ability to make any weapon returning.
Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So I was trying to persuade the Duergar to help me kill Nere and when I killed the eye I apparently wasn't careful enough and aggroed the whole zone lol. This actually proved to my benefit because fighting near where the Elder is is a great chokepoint. I slapped down a hunger of hadar and every Duergar near the cave-in wasted countless turns trying to run through it all the while taking damage.

I also knocked the Elder and the Duergar with her off a cliff down to where those cages and the little spiders are. That was actually not enough to kill them but it apparently broke their AI because they spent most of the fight not being able to find their way back up. I eventually mopped all the Duergar up.

Then I blew open the cave-in and Nere came out. He apparently does have special dialogue if you wipe out all the Duergar first which is kinda funny. I fought him and he does have an honour mode ability, but seeing as he was by himself and had no Duergar allies I made short work of him despite that.

One of those situations where you gently caress up but it ends working out fortuitously anyways. That fight is usually more annoying dealing with the Duergar and Nere together.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

isndl posted:

Sure, but when you Action Surge for an extra three throws on the first turn you can outright kill things instead, which is the better form of crowd control. Use that bonus action jumping to reposition and get high ground advantage.

Nobody is suggesting going barb 12. You typically go barb 5/ thief 3/ champion fighter 4; which gets you the benefits of frenzy barb and action surge/more crits.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if it would be worth it dipping into Swordlock for throwing build for the ability to make any weapon returning.
Probably not.

If you wanted that feature, you’d just take eldritch knight instead of Champion as your spec for your 4 fighter levels but I’m not sure it’s worth giving up the extra crits.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
11 fighter eldritch knight / 1 anything would mean a base 3 throws per round?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Going 5 Barb / 4 Eldritch Knight for weapon bond is good for that awkward phase where Returning Pike damage starts to peter out but before you get the endgame trident in Act 3.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did create water always come with a smaller aoe free option? :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Would multiclassing 6 wizard, 6 bard be a stage magician? :thunk:

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

On Casters, while you can of course put them in armor if you have the proficiency, from racial bonuses or multiclassing or whatever, it’s not really worth doing because none of those light or medium armors have caster oriented bonuses. In the case of a warlock, you’d be missing out on the best warlock item in the game, the robe that lets you add charisma bonus to cantrip damage; as a wizard or sorcerer, you’re missing out on Robe of the weave, which gives +2 AC anyway and also gives you +1 to spell DC and spell attack.

AC on casters really isn’t an issue - draconic sorcs start at 13; which doesn’t stack with armor, wizards can get the 13 from mage armor; you’ve got the bracers in Act 1 that give you 2 AC - there’s really nobody else to give them to since a monk would want gloves that add elemental damage to punches; and there aren’t a whole lot of useful caster gloves before Act 3.

Then you have the shield spell - even using a level 1 slot shield basically makes your caster untouchable, and you never use up all your level 1 slots anyway.

I gave my sorcerer Tav the helldusk armour which gives you 23 AC and reduces incoming damage by 3, a significant boost over what you'd get with a robe. The gloves from the same set have +1 spell save DC and attack rolls, which compensates for not wearing robes. The result: a sorcerer who can give it AND take it.

Also it looks cooler than stupid robes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well I just RIP'd my sorc run in the dumbest way possible. Got down into the Zhentarim hideout, failed an intimidation check, then my entire party got lit up by oil barrel explosions on the first turn before I could act. 25 hours gone in a flash. It was all going so well, too. Nothing to be done but immediately start up another campaign. :negative:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

grinnard posted:

I gave my sorcerer Tav the helldusk armour which gives you 23 AC and reduces incoming damage by 3, a significant boost over what you'd get with a robe. The gloves from the same set have +1 spell save DC and attack rolls, which compensates for not wearing robes.

This + the health boost amulet you get in the same place (I think +50%?) un-squishies anyone pretty drat quick. I had that on my rogue Tav who was utterly indestructible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

grinnard posted:

I gave my sorcerer Tav the helldusk armour which gives you 23 AC and reduces incoming damage by 3, a significant boost over what you'd get with a robe. The gloves from the same set have +1 spell save DC and attack rolls, which compensates for not wearing robes. The result: a sorcerer who can give it AND take it.

Also it looks cooler than stupid robes

It’s still better to just have the robes and have higher spell DC, there isn’t a ceiling on that. The helldusk armor is more useful on someone who is up front actually getting hit (and who can’t just adjust their AC up by 5 on the fly as required)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Larry Cum Free posted:

This + the health boost amulet you get in the same place (I think +50%?) un-squishies anyone pretty drat quick. I had that on my rogue Tav who was utterly indestructible.

it sets your con to like 23.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Larry Cum Free posted:

The Amulet of Greater Health sets your Constitution to 23, which means your Con mod becomes +6. If you have a lesser Con mod before that (say, 14, or a +2), you gain the difference in how much Constitution applies to your HP retroactively, so e.g.: (+6)-(+2)=+4, +4x12=48 HP gained.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Well I just RIP'd my sorc run in the dumbest way possible. Got down into the Zhentarim hideout, failed an intimidation check, then my entire party got lit up by oil barrel explosions on the first turn before I could act. 25 hours gone in a flash. It was all going so well, too. Nothing to be done but immediately start up another campaign. :negative:

I just started a new campaign as a half elf drow because they have some of the best girl faces. And I'm already thinking about making a Dragonborn durge because I think the default build just looks so neat. They really made an alligator man expressive somehow.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Hey so here's a question:

Can you play couch co-op and multiplayer at the same time?

Like, can my wife and I, sitting next to each other on the couch, play with an online friend?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lima posted:

Yeah you can't betray her or use the "I'm gonna murder you" dialogue option. She has to have the "tempoarily hostile" tag when you fight her.

Dang, next run then!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

HaB posted:

Hey so here's a question:

Can you play couch co-op and multiplayer at the same time?

Like, can my wife and I, sitting next to each other on the couch, play with an online friend?

Yes. I've done this remote with my buddy and his wife together on PS5.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Right my understanding is they didn't create a bunch of different permutations to get her to join your good party they just noticed people were doing weird hosed up glitch stuff to get it to work an decided to make the glitch stuff a little easier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The "good route" for recruiting Minthara already existed, Larian just made it so you don't need to enter turn-based mode with a Level 5 Barbarian carrying a polymorphed Minty to do it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shard posted:

I just started a new campaign as a half elf drow because they have some of the best girl faces. And I'm already thinking about making a Dragonborn durge because I think the default build just looks so neat. They really made an alligator man expressive somehow.

Yeah Dragonborn have fantastic faces it’s a shame you see so few of them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shard posted:

They have the absolute best reaction face to yeeting Barcus in act one. Somewhere between smug satisfaction and "ah so that's what happens."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Would karlach make a good monk? If not, I'll make her a fighter.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SlothBear posted:

Yeah Dragonborn have fantastic faces it’s a shame you see so few of them.

Au contraire, I saw a lot of one of them living deliciously

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

Would karlach make a good monk? If not, I'll make her a fighter.

I made her a monk on my last playthrough and Raphael didn't get a single turn at HoH where he was stunlocked into oblivion. I mean I think most characters can be effective as long as you build them right, I'm not sure if Karlach is particularly better at being a monk than anyone else, but it certainly worked. Plus with the right build you can still get good mileage out of throwing poo poo, particularly if you're monking in mid-game before you get the really op monk poo poo in act 3.

e: I would consider trying to get her stuff that adds lighting charges/bonuses to unarmed attacks/improvised weapons, so you can easily beat enemies to death with other enemies.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I ended up slightly changing the default dragonborn Durge for my evil Durge run (different horns, secondary scale colors) and he really does have some great expressions. It's a little unfortunate that most close ups focus on the right side of his face, so I just see the boring Volo eye rather than his cool purple dragon eye.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I turned the secret final party member from ACT 3 into a Monk. It's working out well

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Beetus posted:

I made her a monk on my last playthrough and Raphael didn't get a single turn at HoH where he was stunlocked into oblivion. I mean I think most characters can be effective as long as you build them right, I'm not sure if Karlach is particularly better at being a monk than anyone else, but it certainly worked. Plus with the right build you can still get good mileage out of throwing poo poo, particularly if you're monking in mid-game before you get the really op monk poo poo in act 3.

e: I would consider trying to get her stuff that adds lighting charges/bonuses to unarmed attacks/improvised weapons, so you can easily beat enemies to death with other enemies.

To quote her, "gently caress ya".

Yea I got the idea during chapter 3 when her barbarian stuff wasn't as great and I was getting lots of monkey gear.

Is it worth giving characters proficiency in medium/heavy armor? First game I gave shadowheart heavy but always wondered if it was a waste of a feat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

To quote her, "gently caress ya".

Yea I got the idea during chapter 3 when her barbarian stuff wasn't as great and I was getting lots of monkey gear.

Is it worth giving characters proficiency in medium/heavy armor? First game I gave shadowheart heavy but always wondered if it was a waste of a feat.

If you want Shadowheart to wear heavy armor, make her a storm cleric. Solid cleric and gets heavy armor for free.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah why do some clerics not get heavy armour

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/outstarwalker/status/1734966544063410489?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

🫡 Dudes rock.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Beetus posted:

If you want Shadowheart to wear heavy armor, make her a storm cleric. Solid cleric and gets heavy armor for free.

That sounds great, and fun. I figure they get lighting attacks.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

twistedmentat posted:

They get Thunder attacks, mainly. If you want Shadowheart in Heavy Armor, Life Cleric is also an option and can help you stay alive during tougher fights.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah why do some clerics not get heavy armour

Same reason why only Swords Bard gets Medium Armor - balancing act between the subclasses. Most of the Subclasses that get Heavy Armor also get Divine Strike, which encourages them to be in the frontline being a more martial cleric, so they get Heavy Armor to aid in their survivability. The other Cleric Domains typically focus more on spellcasting or gain other proficiencies to make up for it. That said, Potent Spellcasting (adding WIS to your cantrips) is usually stronger.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Thunder, lightning, and a little cold damage in their spell nukes, yes.

Tempest cleric is incredibly fun and well-rounded and one of my favorites.

You get heavy armor and martial weapons so you're tanky and can melee pretty decently. You get all the standard cleric buffs, healing, and radiant type damage plus the thunder, lightning, and cold from Tempest domain.

Tempest's Channel Divinity lets them maximize damage on a Thunder or Lightning spell, up to twice per short rest. This means they can chaos dunk small groups of enemies with huge spell nukes. The big combo is to get enemies Wet which doubles Lightning damage, then cast Call Lightning using your Channel Divinity and they take 60 damage or 30 if they succeed their saving throw.

There are also a couple items (gloves and boots) in Act 1 that allow you to inflict the Reverberation status effect which pairs really nicely with all of the above.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So am i right in thinking this games a T-posing stuttery mess for everyone else as well? (A good entertaining mess)

Can i hope it’ll be polished as the updates happen?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^not really? There are definitely some widespread issues and plenty of bugs, but for the most part my game has been perfectly playable and the only animation bugs currently happening for me are the hilarious reanimation and subsequent collapse of dead folks when re-entering an area with bodies, and the somewhat less entertaining weird (intentional?) kill cam glitches that have been prominent since patch 5. ^

Pellisworth posted:

Thunder, lightning, and a little cold damage in their spell nukes, yes.

Tempest cleric is incredibly fun and well-rounded and one of my favorites.

You get heavy armor and martial weapons so you're tanky and can melee pretty decently. You get all the standard cleric buffs, healing, and radiant type damage plus the thunder, lightning, and cold from Tempest domain.

Tempest's Channel Divinity lets them maximize damage on a Thunder or Lightning spell, up to twice per short rest. This means they can chaos dunk small groups of enemies with huge spell nukes. The big combo is to get enemies Wet which doubles Lightning damage, then cast Call Lightning using your Channel Divinity and they take 60 damage or 30 if they succeed their saving throw.

There are also a couple items (gloves and boots) in Act 1 that allow you to inflict the Reverberation status effect which pairs really nicely with all of the above.

Yeah there's some good Thor builds out there. Storm cleric/paladin isn't particularly optimal but it's ridiculous to be able to (with luck of the far realms), auto crit a wet enemy with lightning smite for double max damage on crit , which gives you the opportunity to do a guaranteed radiant smite on crit that you can upcast for even more damage. Plus you get cool "paladin of x deity" dialogue options that seem to be unique to paladin/clerics (although I dunno, it could just be the regular paladin line with an altered description to reflect your class choices?)

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2023

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve gotten the T-posing but Professor Beetus also did their playthrough without mass larceny so they missed the last huge performance slowdown in the Patch 4 times.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Noise posted:

I’ve gotten the T-posing but Professor Beetus also did their playthrough without mass larceny so they missed the last huge performance slowdown in the Patch 4 times.

oh yeah, I was a monstrous loot goblin and never had any gold worries so I just bought everything I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I thought my game bugged out because they acted happy to see me and then immediately aggroed me when I walked through the gate but then I realized that they get pissed at you if you rob Rugan of the shipment. For some reason those idiots aggroed me but didn't turn on their traps though so I easily killed all of them. And I made sure to stay well away from the smokepowder barrels in case they tried to pull that poo poo.

I'm doing well. Going to see how bad the Grymforge feller is soon